Wednesday 1st October 2014.

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Wednesday 1st October 2014.

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Morning, the defection over to UKIP Rebecca wrote of last night is a Tory Party donor, according to Sky he has handed over an 100,000 grand donation.
Last edited by refitman on Wed 01 Oct, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: fixed date
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday 1st September 2014.

Post by refitman »

Morning. Labour lead at 5 points on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 30th Sept -

Con 31%, (no change)
Lab 36%, (no change)
LD 7%, (no change)
UKIP 15%; (-1)

APP -23 (+1)
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

Day 3 of being unable to post on The Guardian.

I'm starting to sweat and shake uncontrollably. If I can't post for a week does that mean I'm cured?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

JackPranker wrote:Day 3 of being unable to post on The Guardian.

I'm starting to sweat and shake uncontrollably. If I can't post for a week does that mean I'm cured?
Morning. I think you'll need twice as long before you feel better / normal. But the 'cure' or not should probably apply to the G rather than you. If Beta continues .... well ..... difficult to see how to look at it and stay sane. I'm not looking at AS blog, because it physically hurts my eyes. Would like another onling rolling source ... but haven't found it yet.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:Just heard on R4 that Cameron is going to promise an increase in spending on the NHS, and that this will be 'a key battleground' in the next election. This surprises me as everything up until now has suggested that Crosby had dictated that the NHS should be avoided as a subject as it inevitably played better for Labour.

I suspect, if this is true, that the Tories feel that the NHS is Labour's only real advantage and if they can neutralise it as an issue, will win. This worked in 2010 as the promise to protect spending scared Labour off making an issue of it. This isn't going to happen in 2015, so I can only assume that the Tory strategy will be to scream 'MID STAFFS' repeatedly for six weeks.

My sense is that the BBC's notion that this will be a key battleground is wide of the mark. The Tories are desperate not to lose on the NHS, but I doubt even they think they can win on the NHS.
If he does ... it will be coming the day after the Welsh Government announced their increase in spending on the NHS. Copycats. But I doubt Cameron will be commending them for doing so!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RobertSnozers wrote:Just heard on R4 that Cameron is going to promise an increase in spending on the NHS, and that this will be 'a key battleground' in the next election. This surprises me as everything up until now has suggested that Crosby had dictated that the NHS should be avoided as a subject as it inevitably played better for Labour.

I suspect, if this is true, that the Tories feel that the NHS is Labour's only real advantage and if they can neutralise it as an issue, will win. This worked in 2010 as the promise to protect spending scared Labour off making an issue of it. This isn't going to happen in 2015, so I can only assume that the Tory strategy will be to scream 'MID STAFFS' repeatedly for six weeks.

My sense is that the BBC's notion that this will be a key battleground is wide of the mark. The Tories are desperate not to lose on the NHS, but I doubt even they think they can win on the NHS.
Morning all.
I suspect that this is also an indication that the coalition banging the "economic recovery" drum isn't being heard.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Conservatives are on an hiding to nothing if they intend to try to make the NHS their own, apart from the obvious how long will it be until someone break ranks and says it shouldn't be ring-fenced, or be opened up to the markets? Someone like Liam Fox for example?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

JamesLyons ‏@_James_Lyons_ 59s60 seconds ago
All sorts of rumours about another defection at #CPC14
I've just heard on R4 that the Conservative Party Conference is positively 'fizzing' and 'upbeat' despite the unfavourable polls. (That was from a fizzing and upbeat reporter mind). The vox pops all managed to find really fizzing and upbeat Tory supporters who are convinced Cameron has what it takes ...

Easy to poke fun at this relentlessly fizzing and upbeat persona. But - presenting a bit more of an optimistic and united front (if not quite fizzing and upbeat) might be a good lesson for some of the Labour troops to learn before 2015.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

In other news. We will be stepping around my dressing gown on the floor for most of the day I think. Our ridiculously tiny cat has seized the slender window of opportunity when said dressing gown fell off the door and snuggled herself up in it. Determinedly fast asleep - looks adorable and knows it.

Cats eh.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I've just heard on R4 that the Conservative Party Conference is positively 'fizzing' and 'upbeat' despite the unfavourable polls. (That was from a fizzing and upbeat reporter mind). The vox pops all managed to find really fizzing and upbeat Tory supporters who are convinced Cameron has what it takes ...

Easy to poke fun at this relentlessly fizzing and upbeat persona. But - presenting a bit more of an optimistic and united front (if not quite fizzing and upbeat) might be a good lesson for some of the Labour troops to learn before 2015.
There will always be grumbling within any party. The difference is that the media (BBC especially) like to zone in on, and give the oxygen of publicity to the Labour muppets.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 9m9 minutes ago
Farage is in Bristol. Isn't Dyson HQ nearby + didn't Dyson suggest quitting EU? Maybe Boris will be the sucker after vacuum cleaner jibe?
:roll:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

StephenDolan wrote:

Morning all.
I suspect that this is also an indication that the coalition banging the "economic recovery" drum isn't being heard.
James Naughtie made the point to Peter Oborne just half hour ago that no government has been re-elected while wages or standards of living have fallen or stagnated.

Hand on heart I am far from confident of Labour being elected in May, but when you put all everything together that will stop the Tories, infighting, defections, an attitude they've only looking after their ''own lot'' people more skint now than they were 5 years ago, UKIP making them more right-wing almost daily, I struggle how the Tories can be re-elected as well.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

There will always be grumbling within any party. The difference is that the media (BBC especially) like to zone in on, and give the oxygen of publicity to the Labour muppets.
I agree - and I'm not a fan of the Stepford Wives type of atmosphere that the fizzing and upbeat transmits ... And just as I was about to post that observation who pops up with the sourest of sour observations but
Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 10m10 minutes ago
.@rafaelbehr: "The brewery was booked a year in advance and still Ed Miliband’s team could not deliver a piss-up to cheer the troops".
I wish he would defect somewhere good and proper. Is there any party that would welcome his 'support' though?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Farage is in Bristol. Isn't Dyson HQ nearby + didn't Dyson suggest quitting EU? Maybe Boris will be the sucker after vacuum cleaner jibe?
Read earlier that Chris Skidmore is far from being a happy bunny! I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens though, it would be too good for another defection just before Dave's speech, too good.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Read earlier that Chris Skidmore is far from being a happy bunny! I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens though, it would be too good for another defection just before Dave's speech, too good.
It is rather incredible that the BBC coverage has managed to miss / ignore the defection watch / countdown element of the fizzing and upbeat conference.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

Morning all.
James Naughtie made the point to Peter Oborne just half hour ago that no government has been re-elected while wages or standards of living have fallen or stagnated.

Hand on heart I am far from confident of Labour being elected in May, but when you put all everything together that will stop the Tories, infighting, defections, an attitude they've only looking after their ''own lot'' people more skint now than they were 5 years ago, UKIP making them more right-wing almost daily, I struggle how the Tories can be re-elected as well.
Not sure Naughtie is right the National Government was re-elected 3 times despite inflicting mass austerity whilst wages and living standards collapsed.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Going into the last election :-

Cameron was portrayed as the soft, caring leader of the Conservatives that would protect the NHS.

Brown was arguably toxic for a lot of the electorate.

UKIP didn't poll well enough to cause Conservatives to lose seats either directly or to another party.

Clegg was the breath of fresh air, a dawn of new politics.

Are the Conservatives really expecting a majority this time if they couldn't make it last time?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Morning. I think you'll need twice as long before you feel better / normal. But the 'cure' or not should probably apply to the G rather than you. If Beta continues .... well ..... difficult to see how to look at it and stay sane. I'm not looking at AS blog, because it physically hurts my eyes. Would like another onling rolling source ... but haven't found it yet.
Apart from posting a link to the Beta blog feedback page (http://www.theguardian.com/info/2014/se ... live-blogs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I won't be visiting Andrew's blog today. This is the first time in years I've not had the page open.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Lol, on the day Cameron makes, or tries to make a big issue of the NHS 3/5 people surveyed reckon the Tories have handled it badly.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Lol, on the day Cameron makes, or tries to make a big issue of the NHS 3/5 people surveyed reckon the Tories have handled it badly.
Economy v NHS is the in the YouGov 3.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Hah! Just noticed I put the 1st September down, month behind, know I shouldn't attempt things too early, can some kind soul change it, please?
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Morning all. Is there a David Cameron random phrase generator on The Guardian site today?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Morning all. I'm putting my money on David TC Davies to jump ship; as well as being a Europhobe he's a hardline Christian who's never agreed with Cameron's view on gay marriage and it'll give the press a chance to say "David Davies joins UKIP (The other one)"

And I still think Cameron's going to raise the LEL.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Hah! Just noticed I put the 1st September down, month behind, know I shouldn't attempt things too early, can some kind soul change it, please?
Sorted.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

danesclose wrote:Morning all. Is there a David Cameron random phrase generator on The Guardian site today?
There was last night, haven't checked to see if it's still there today. Apparently the delay in releasing his speech is due to the fact a major ''rabbits are due to be pulled out of bag'' or in everyday language more sops to UKIP.

David Davies eh, the Monmouth Moron, that would be splendid.

This had to happen didn't it?

dvla-website-buckles-under-pressure-of-new-online-vehicle-tax-renewals

@refitman, thank you.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

A timely article that I've just come across:

http://leftunity.org/the-truth-about-uk ... ory-right/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 1st October 2014.

Post by pk1 »

The twat never learns:
David Cameron found himself at the centre of another embarrassing royal faux pas today after sharing a joke with MPs at the Queen’s expense.

It is claimed the Prime Minister was showing off art at Chequers when he amused guests by telling them how the monarch had to be corrected for mistakenly believing she had the original of a painting that was at the stately home.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/pm-da ... 64420.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

James Lyons, the political editor at the Mirror is joining the Times :(

and

Part-time workers judged to be doing too little to find full-time work face having their benefit for housing costs sanctioned by the government for the first time under universal credit.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/legal/dw ... 30.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Apart from posting a link to the Beta blog feedback page (http://www.theguardian.com/info/2014/se ... live-blogs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I won't be visiting Andrew's blog today. This is the first time in years I've not had the page open.
I haven't been able to post comments from my work PC ever since they brought in the nesting, but now I'm finding it impossible to actually navigate through the site and find any articles I want to read either. Most of the headlines in the politics section don't even tell you who wrote them, or give you any idea of what they're about, and seeing as these days half of them are about the US or Australia anyway its just frustrating endlessly clicking on articles that you then realise you don't really want to read. My iPad at home has yet to be Beta'd so I'll probably carry on looking at it in the evenings, but once that goes over as well I think that's me and the Guardian over.

I already probably spend more time on the Telegraph, where at least the writers are upfront about their political views (apart from DFH obviously), and don't try to con you into thinking they're espousing left wing views while endlessly pushing the exact opposite, so I think my days of being a "Guardian reader" are pretty much finished, which does make me feel a bit sad after nearly 20 years, but it's just not worth the hassle anymore.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning.

I accidentally went to Andrew Sparrow's blog (Guardian) when I clicked on the article on Arron Banks. It wasn't obvious that the article was attached to the Politics Blog. Isn't that a bit sneaky? I seem to remember that it used always to be flagged up when articles made such a link. Or am I mis-remembering? Any road up - I hastened off to the Independent to find an account that didn't hurt my eyes and brain.

Although I think it's a pity that we (myself included) sometimes have a tendency to view our place here through the prism of the Guardian, it seems to me that their latest changes are really suicidal, and I can't help but feel so very sorry for Andrew Sparrow on whom I have, in the past, relied upon for so much up-to-the-minute information.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Tish wrote:
refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Morning. I think you'll need twice as long before you feel better / normal. But the 'cure' or not should probably apply to the G rather than you. If Beta continues .... well ..... difficult to see how to look at it and stay sane. I'm not looking at AS blog, because it physically hurts my eyes. Would like another onling rolling source ... but haven't found it yet.
I haven't been able to post comments from my work PC ever since they brought in the nesting, but now I'm finding it impossible to actually navigate through the site and find any articles I want to read either. Most of the headlines in the politics section don't even tell you who wrote them, or give you any idea of what they're about, and seeing as these days half of them are about the US or Australia anyway its just frustrating endlessly clicking on articles that you then realise you don't really want to read. My iPad at home has yet to be Beta'd so I'll probably carry on looking at it in the evenings, but once that goes over as well I think that's me and the Guardian over.

I already probably spend more time on the Telegraph, where at least the writers are upfront about their political views (apart from DFH obviously), and don't try to con you into thinking they're espousing left wing views while endlessly pushing the exact opposite, so I think my days of being a "Guardian reader" are pretty much finished, which does make me feel a bit sad after nearly 20 years, but it's just not worth the hassle anymore.
Hi Tish, that's sad news indeed, but largely inevitable. Take comfort in the fact that you're not the only one to feel that way. I suspect the vast majority of us here at FTN have trodden the same path.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

letsskiptotheleft wrote: David Davies eh, the Monmouth Moron, that would be splendid.
He ticks many boxes that Farage would love to fill to broaden the party's appeal.

1. Young
2. Married to a European (So not racist)
3. Not English
4. Went to a comprehensive and worked before entering politics

More traditionally for Faragists:

1. Supports Better Off Out
2. Voted against gay marriage, but has gay friends (including Nigel Evans)
3. Is anti-immigration
4. Is a global warming denier
5. Has 10K majority, so needs not fear bye-election.
5. Has no respect for non-English culture
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

pk1 wrote:The twat never learns:
David Cameron found himself at the centre of another embarrassing royal faux pas today after sharing a joke with MPs at the Queen’s expense.

It is claimed the Prime Minister was showing off art at Chequers when he amused guests by telling them how the monarch had to be corrected for mistakenly believing she had the original of a painting that was at the stately home.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/pm-da ... 64420.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

Part-time workers judged to be doing too little to find full-time work face having their benefit for housing costs sanctioned by the government for the first time under universal credit.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/legal/dw ... 30.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read about Lyons last night, be interested to see if his stance changes now he's working for the dirty digger, shucks, what am I on about, of course it will.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I just caught a TV clip of David Cameron laughing uproariously at one of Boris Johnson's "jokes" - this one directed at, and belittling, Nick Clegg. Somehow, that doesn't sit right with me for all sorts of reasons, despite my own feelings about Nick Clegg and the LibDems. Tacky.

Edited

- for =
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

The thing that annoys me about the Guardian at the moment is that most of their politics stories seem to be sidelined into Society. I wonder whether this is because it confuses Australians and Americans, but from a mobile device you cannot find politics without actually typing it into the address bar or chancing upon a story connected to politics. That and not being able to post comments of course.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

pk1 wrote:The twat never learns:

and

Thanks for Info.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning!

Just whizzed through everyone's posts and haven't had time to do any thanking :oops:

On fizziness, I happened to be in Birmingham last night, so decided to go for a stroll round Broad Street. It was about as fizzy as custard. Of course they may have been whooping it up inside the conference venue, but I would have expected to see some wheeling, dealing, scheming and general gossiping going on in the local pubs. I did hear one golf club bore droning on about the military and politician's wives, but it turned out he wasn't even a Tory - just a rep for somewhere.

So, this correspondent failed to find fizz.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Can we compile a quick list of things that Dave "forgot", like our Credit Rating
Not long ago we were heading towards the danger zone where markets start to question your credibility. Yet in the past eight months we’ve seen our credit rating – which was on the brink of being downgraded – affirmed at the triple A level.
Dave, Davos, 2011
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Oh no! It's Michael Gove!
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

:lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10 ... 11770.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

irvine-welsh-george-osborne-trainspotting-speech
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Just goes to show. You can be shedding members, MPs and supporters defecting, with the Chancellor missing his targets yet again, but as long as you go to your happy place where the polls can't hurt you and put on a big smile for the troops, that election win is yours for the taking!

Mind you, I've read differing accounts. Some suggest that things are indeed buzzing and upbeat, others that it's actually flatter than that and everyone's just sitting around waiting for the next Ukip defection, and some that say it's almost desperate or delusional.
Mark Ferguson - not exactly a Dr Pangloss regarding Labour's chances - has said it is pretty flat, gloomy even, underneath the cheery veneer.

And others have made the point that quite a few of those who are hacked off haven't even turned up......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

cameron.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:So what say we start up a new news outlet, perhaps resurrecting the Daily Herald title, or something like The Peterloo News, just to remind people how far the Graun has fallen from its roots?

Rolling political news, analysis based on primary sources as was suggested yesterday, progressive but non-partisan, objective but a counterbalance to the overwhelmingly right-wing MSM. If Guido can do it, why can't we?
Good idea.

We could call it 'The Daily Rooster'.

No? I'll get my coat...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

frightful_oik wrote:cameron.
The fool
Comes on to The Killers "All these things that I have done"
Has he had an irony by pass?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote::lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10 ... 11770.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While I get his point, Irvine really is getting a tad up himself these days, isn't he?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

How can we stop people travelling to Iraq?
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

frightful_oik wrote:cameron.
Ed Balls
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote::lol:

LOL
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Greatest living Yorkshireman?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@PaulfromYorkshire

David Cameron has just said that William Hague is the "greatest living Yorkshireman".

Bloody cheek!

Over to you . . .
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:@PaulfromYorkshire

David Cameron has just said that William Hague is the "greatest living Yorkshireman".

Bloody cheek!

Over to you . . .
:lol: