Monday 29th July 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Monday 29th July 2019

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -austerity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 29th July 2019

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Raab on the radio...
Ian Birrell

@ianbirrell
1h1 hour ago
More
Dishonest by Dominic Raab to argue the European position has changed & hardened since Boris Johnson became PM, forcing the government towards No Deal. Like it or not, the EU stance has been consistent & crystal clear #r4today
Shocked etc.

Sorting out who's to blame already.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Johnson told no-deal Brexit will crush domestic policy plans

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... licy-plans
Boris Johnson’s ambitious domestic agenda would be crushed by the pressing needs of the emergency that would follow a no-deal Brexit, a new report by a Whitehall thinktank has concluded.

The Institute for Government (IfG) warned there is “no such thing as a managed no deal” and the hard Brexiters predictions of a “clean break” from the EU will not materialise.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Yes, the words "managed no deal" are one of the surest signs you are listening to a huckster.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

More lies.

"hey we know that we're in the shit...but don't blame us - we always told you it was going to be terrible. What was that..."easiest deal in history"? Nope...that definitely wasn't us"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stuart Millar
@stuartmillar159
Johnson and Carrie Symonds are moving into the 4-bedroom flat above number 11, rather than the two-bed one above number 10.

They cite precedent but Tony Blair and David Cameron did this because they had children living at home, unlike their respective chancellors at the time.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Archie Bland
@archiebland
Petition for Boris Johnson to be forced to pay the bedroom tax on the three spare rooms in no 11
I don't know how old Sajid Javid's children are, but I assume some are still at home. Perhaps he didn't want to uproot them to no 11 anyway? Even so, the "spare room" jokes of one type or another are well enough deserved, I think.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Boris Johnson is channelling a punk ethos to force through Brexit. It could work
John Harris
Not an admirer of the author - but I thought that this was a good article (from yesterday).

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... unk-brexit
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I forgot that field had been sacked anyway during the Great Purge of Non-Believers in No-Deal (© ROT 2019)

Boris Johnson drops investigation into MP who manhandled protester

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris Johnson has dropped the Whitehall inquiry into Mark Field, the Tory MP under investigation for manhandling a Greenpeace activist out of a black-tie dinner.

Johnson has sacked Field from his role as a Foreign Office since taking over and took a view that the investigation was no longer needed.

A No 10 source said: “Mark Field has now left the government.

“The current PM considers this issue was a matter for the previous PM concerning his conduct during his time as a minister under her appointment.”
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think the inquiry would have related to whether he should stay on as a minister, so maybe it is a bit redundant now tbf.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sinn Fein has said that Boris Johnson’s failure so far to speak to Leo Varadkar, the Irish taoiseach, is “discourteous and offensive”. This morning Downing Street confirmed that, five days on from becoming PM, Johnson still has not spoken to Varadkar, who is crucial to any EU decision on the backstop. (Politics Live, Guardian)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ays-ofsted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
Boris Johnson is channelling a punk ethos to force through Brexit. It could work
John Harris
Not an admirer of the author - but I thought that this was a good article (from yesterday).

Good in parts, as they say.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
John Harris

Good in parts, as they say.
Yes - I found it thought provoking. But, as you suggest, curate's egg-y.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Boris Johnson has now finished his meeting with Nicola Sturgeon. Having been booed by protesters on his way in, he left via the back door, the BBC’s Nick Eardley reports. (Politics Live, Guardian)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Good to know that government is speaking with one voice...oh... (from AS)
Johnson rejects Gove's claim that government now assuming no deal Brexit most likely outcome
Imagine that you are the CEO of a large company. You need to make decisions about the possible impact of a no deal Brexit, but quite what you do will depend on your judgment about how likely such an outcome is.

It would help to have some clarity from government.

Yesterday you picked up your copy of the Sunday Times, and there was an article (paywall) by Michael Gove, the chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. He has been put in charge of no-deal Brexit planning, and luckily he had some clear guidance for you.

While we are optimistic about the future, we are realistic about the need to plan for every eventuality. The EU’s leaders have, so far, said they will not change their approach — it’s the unreformed withdrawal agreement, take it or leave it.

We still hope they will change their minds, but we must operate on the assumption that they will not. The prime minister has been crystal clear that means we must prepare to leave the EU without a deal on October 31, and I fully support this approach.

No deal is now a very real prospect, and we must make sure that we are ready. A lot has already been done. Thanks to hard work by ministers past and present, and outstanding efforts by the civil service, we have made significant progress.

But in a pooled interview with the BBC’s Scotland editor, Sarah Smith, broadcast just now on the BBC and Sky News, Boris Johnson, the prime minister and Gove’s boss, said the opposite. Here are the key quotes.

Johnson said he did not accept Gove’s claim that the government was now working on the assumption that a no deal Brexit was the most likely outcome. Asked about Gove’s assumption, and whether he agreed, Johnson replied:
No, absolutely not. My assumption is that we can get a new deal, we’re aiming for a new deal. But, of course, Michael is absolutely right that it’s responsible for any government to prepare for a no deal if we absolutely have to.
Useless.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Absolutely.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Labour’s brexit policy is confused, y’know.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:Labour’s brexit policy is confused, y’know.
I can't find the wink emoticon indicating I know you're being sarcastic so I wrote this instead
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Revealed: Crossrail hired security firm to monitor trade unionists

Bosses of huge publicly funded project paid firm £59,000 over three years, documents show
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -unionists
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

What's the meaning of the phrase 'A curate's egg'?
Something bad that is called good out of politeness or timidity.
"...an egg which was partly bad would be entirely unpalatable. The curate, being too timid to complain to his host, looked for something positive to say in reply."
Perfect.
I'm annoyed by the Harris article. Harris implies non-existent aptitude in Johnson (and Trump). They're a pair of ramshackle, spoiled mediocrities having stumbled into play by accident.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:

Bosses of huge publicly funded project paid firm £59,000 over three years, documents show
(Guardian)
Could have saved themselves a fortune by just asking what they wanted to know. Join the union, find out how it works, take part.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Can anyone hazard a guess as to why Dominic Raab always says that he "holds out the arm of friendship"? It's been bothering me for a while now. Most people extend (or whatever) the hand of friendship, don't they?

Glad I've got that off my chest\kneecap (delete where not applicable).
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Can anyone hazard a guess as to why Dominic Raab always says that he "holds out the arm of friendship"? It's been bothering me for a while now. Most people extend (or whatever) the hand of friendship, don't they?

Glad I've got that off my chest\kneecap (delete where not applicable).
The team of media advisors preferred the arm because it's bigger than a hand, using the word arm brings to mind weapon, strength. Lending a hand is neighbourly, pleasant, hands are equals and that will never do. I've not thought too long on this. I'm sure that's obvious. I prefer the hand of friendship. The arm of friendship sounds like a scary military club.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

(Guardian)
Could have saved themselves a fortune by just asking what they wanted to know. Join the union, find out how it works, take part.
I'm so naïve.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Can anyone hazard a guess as to why Dominic Raab always says that he "holds out the arm of friendship"?
Because he is odd?

Sometimes the simple answer is the correct one.......
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Noticed today amongst the 'it's all Labour's fault' brigade btl at the guardian - yes, yes, we know that the lib dems might do a coalition deal with Johnson and give him five years of conservative government but it will be worth it if we get a peoples vote.

The coup - the real coup, the one of the mind - has properly taken hold.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:Noticed today amongst the 'it's all Labour's fault' brigade btl at the guardian - yes, yes, we know that the lib dems might do a coalition deal with Johnson and give him five years of conservative government but it will be worth it if we get a peoples vote.

The coup - the real coup, the one of the mind - has properly taken hold.
:hose:
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I thought I'd said this somewhere - I wrote it in to the 'contribute' thing about the libdems in the guardian but they didn't use it - but Swinson on Today the day after she was elected said, about employment tribunal fees, that she fought and fought against their introduction and that she celebrated when the supreme court ruled them illegal, but forgot to say that between those two things she served in the government that introduced them - they were brought in through an SI without a commons vote but she gave her assent as a member of the government and, specifically, she also failed to mention that she was the minister of state for employment
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:I thought I'd said this somewhere - I wrote it in to the 'contribute' thing about the libdems in the guardian but they didn't use it - but Swinson on Today the day after she was elected said, about employment tribunal fees, that she fought and fought against their introduction and that she celebrated when the supreme court ruled them illegal, but forgot to say that between those two things she served in the government that introduced them - they were brought in through an SI without a commons vote but she gave her assent as a member of the government and, specifically, she also failed to mention that she was the minister of state for employment
When a Labour person is interviewed, the interviewer always seems to have all of that person's past history at their fingertips - ie a thorough research job has been done, and the information gleaned is called into play. This seems not to happen with representatives of most other political groups - either the research isn't done, or the information found isn't used. It's becoming more and more blatant - although it's possible that that might be better.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

For a food critic he's a damn fine political pundit...

J
ay Rayner

Verified account

@jayrayner1
2h2 hours ago
More
Many tweets today re Raab claiming he discussed no deal during the referendum when he didn’t. The awful thing is it doesn’t matter. Shame has died. There are no standards anymore.Patel and Williamson were sacked. Cummings was held in contempt. Johnson’s a liar. None of them care.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I love you.
Goodnight, everyone.
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

My turn -