Tuesday 13th August 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 13th August 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 13th August 2019

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning!

Good post on Libs and cooperation last night Adam.

Roger the reporting of the poll on shutting down parliament appears to have been somewhat misleading. Hopefully not quite so many folk are that deluded!
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

From the guardian's long read - ‘Loud, obsessive, tribal’: the radicalisation of remain
Remainists feel embattled, ignored; they lament what their country has become. They feel that the politicians who are meant to be on their side, and the media organisations that are meant to present facts impartially, have betrayed them. The system that had seemed to function, more or less, has broken down. Steve Deacon, a protester I met on a People’s Vote march earlier this year, was at Glastonbury festival when he heard the referendum result. Before then, he had felt that “the world had been marching forward, and things were getting better incrementally”. But since that day, it no longer seems that way to him.
The world had been marching forward, and things were getting better incrementally. After six years of austerity, after six years of health service cuts and damaging reforms, after six years of welfare cuts and the demonisation of people receiving benefits, after six years of local authority cuts and the closure of services and on and on and on, after six years of this, after the country voted for more of it just the year before...
...he had felt that “the world had been marching forward, and things were getting better incrementally”. But since that day, it no longer seems that way to him.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

And there is this tucked away in the guardian online as well too - Phil McDuff, guardian columnist and Green Party member

If Caroline Lucas truly wants to stop a no-deal Brexit, she must work with Corbyn
It’s impossible to say what might have happened if this broad anti-no deal arrangement had been sought in 2016, or if certain factions hadn’t been so keen to use remain as an anti-Corbyn Trojan horse. Even now, despite the fact that they’re trying to implement what basically amounts to Labour party policy, they are still throwing a tantrum over involving the Labour leader.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

From the above.
It’s impossible to say what might have happened if this broad anti-no deal arrangement had been sought in 2016,
Nobody even gave the idea of no-deal any consideration in 2016 - "easiest deal in history" and all that.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
love,
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I wonder what certain people who are getting so excited about a quick trade deal with the USA do not understand about "America First"?

The fact that it's Bolton over here promoting that should make people very wary...

"So, Prime Minister, what's our foreign policy on x,y,z now?"
"Hang on, I'll just ask the Americans..."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Yes, that polling in the Borisograph seems to have been distinctly slanted. Its presentation by the paper still more so.

Should we really be surprised?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

the radicalisation of language used in journalist's work
‘Loud, obsessive, tribal’: the radicalisation of remain by Daniel Cohen
Before the referendum, many of the people who have become remainists considered themselves immune to the passions of politics. They tended to hover around the centre ground and didn’t strongly identify with any party. They were used to being on the inside, to being listened to. But since 23 June 2016, remainists have found themselves out in the cold.
I just felt everything I believed in was stolen from me”...
Millions of people's lives - employment, education, homes, retirement and family ties are upended because of Brexit. Millions of people losing their EU citizenship is an unalterable, massive loss.
And so these people, who once dismissed radicals as unreasonable, have themselves become radicalised. They used to pride themselves on their moderation; now, spurred on by rage, they divide the world into enemies and allies. What they are doing is loud, obsessive, tribal, confrontational – politics, in other words.

Three years in, remainists can’t claim any concrete victories...
The UK is still in the EU.
But the author has a story he wants to tell and he'll be god damned if facts interfere with it. The article isn't satire, it's obnoxious. It's the author's right to write obnoxious articles. I hope for his own sake one day soon, he'll realise on his own obnoxious, insensitive journalism is boring and finds himself more dignified employment.
'Straightforward, honest, sociable": the authentic journalist
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 13 Aug, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Yes, that polling in the Borisograph seems to have been distinctly slanted. Its presentation by the paper still more so.

Should we really be surprised?
Not surprised, no. Wary, yes.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes indeed, that famously unifying and fair minded figure John Bolton - not an "America Firster" in any way at all :D
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Lots of leave supporting MPs and others downplaying the risks of leaving without a withdrawal agreement. Worth having a look at this -

Road Haulage Association Guidance Notes - No Deal (Latest edition - 6th August 2019)

There's a lot there, but one good general summary point
Many traders have not taken the basic actions to prepare for no deal Brexit. Exporters and Importers need to do their bit – they will need to provide complete documentation for all customs processes. Lorries with incomplete documentation will be prevented from crossing the EU<>UK border. It is essential that all traders prepare now. There is no list of minimum documents - when available will share with members.
(my emphasis)

There is also, from the Health and Safety Exectutive talking about arrangements for the Chemicals industry in the event of leaving without a withdrawal agreement...
HSE would introduce its own processes and systems for receiving and processing applications. Companies would use these instead of ECHA’s systems. In the longer term HSE would build an IT system for handling applications, with interim arrangements for receiving and processing applications put in place from exit day while it is developed.
I'm not sure what 'in the longer term' means here, but the idea that there will be come kind of smooth transition with an interim processing system sounds like made up nonsense.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

That long read from the Graun contains an *extremely* revealing quote from Andrew Adonis.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:That long read from the Graun contains an *extremely* revealing quote from Andrew Adonis.
The England and middle class quotation? What stands out for you?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

‘Loud, obsessive, tribal’: the radicalisation of remain
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... oples-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have I misunderstood something? Is the article satire?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

From another that was quoted in that article...and have their motives misunderstood.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Driving in the EU after Brexit: international driving permits
The rules for international driving permits (IDPs) in EU countries are changing. Check which type of IDP you need to drive when you visit Europe.

12 August 2019
Details of the IDPs required to drive in certain countries have been updated.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in- ... ts#history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:From another that was quoted in that article...and have their motives misunderstood.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link. I don't like that article at all. It seems to be causing people trouble.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

It feels like a throwback to a less politicised era not that long ago when this kind of gentle pisstake was de rigeur.

Now it just reads as nonsense or offence.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:That long read from the Graun contains an *extremely* revealing quote from Andrew Adonis.
Yes, that's the one.

To put it simply, these are people who aren't used to not getting their way.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:It feels like a throwback to a less politicised era not that long ago when this kind of gentle pisstake was de rigeur.

Now it just reads as nonsense or offence.
Was this intended as satire? I didn't grow up in the UK. Sometimes I misunderstand.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Yes, that's the one.

To put it simply, these are people who aren't used to not getting their way.
I don't think most people can be looking on current events with any satisfaction. Government website pages are frightful. Information regarding citizen responsibilities for Brexit are alarming. Policies change and information is incomplete.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

It certainly was a long read. A bloody long read. I thought it would never end.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Chris Williamson sues Labour over his suspension from party

The party is expected to vigorously defend its decision, which could lead to a highly embarrassing court case. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... from-party
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Tried to help a homeless girl who was sitting outside the entrance to Sainsbury's in Leeds. I wasn't going in there I'd just got off the bus after 50 minutes and was trying to find a dark place to have a piss.

Anyway she told me she'd been sexually abused by her stepfather so I wandered into Sainsbury's to use the cash machine and came out offering her a tenner.

Which she refused to accept and called me a pervert.

Now I don't know how many of you have tried to persuade a teenage girl that you have their best interests at heart while drunk but I singularly failed and had to walk away which made me feel really sad.

I hope life treats her better than it evidently has done up until this point, but I suspect that's wishful thinking.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Anyway goodbye. You've all been lovely but I seem to keep saying the same shit over and over again. Well besides the bizarre random stoned shit. That's just fun.

I wish you all well and thank you for your patience and tolerance.

Cheers.

Sky's Gone Out.