Tuesday 27th August 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 27th August 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 27th August 2019

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morning all, this week marks the close of the "silly season".

Though the way some of our public figures are behaving, that may be a tad optimistic.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
The first major speech by the chancellor Sajid Javid has been mysteriously cancelled by the Treasury less than 24 hours before it was due to take place.

A Treasury spokesman said that the one-year spending review, called a spending round, which had been due to take place later this year, was now being fast-tracked to take place in early September, adding fuel to speculation the government could be planning an early general election.

The speech, which was due to take place in Birmingham, was billed as Javid “outlining his vision for the UK economy.” In an email to attendees, the Treasury press office said the speech was being rescheduled but gave no other reasoning. (Politics Live, Guardian)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://makingrightsmakesense.wordpress ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Thus in practice the Alliance’s assessment plans, developed logically from the narrow incomes approach, can be seen to increase the isolation and oppression of physically impaired people. We would be required to sit alone under observation on one side of the table, while facing us on the other side, social administrators would sit together in panels. We would be passive, nervous, deferential, careful not to upset the panel: in short, showing all the psychological attributes commonly associated with disability’

"The scene facing every physically impaired person, then, is of an army of “experts” sitting on panels which are set up all over the country. These “experts”, armed with the latest definitions and tests for measuring, will prod and probe into the intimate details of our lives. They will bear down on us with batteries of questions, and wielding their tape measures will attempt to tie down the last remaining vestige of our privacy and dignity as human beings. To calculate the “degree of disability” they will be forced to snoop and spy. How else could they decide whether a physically impaired person dresses her/himself, for example, or is helped? Just to test this simple act would require considerable investigation to make sure the person was not “malingering” (or, what would inevitably be the new jargon, “dress-lazy”). It should take physically impaired people little imagination to see where all this leads. Every single act would have to be performed in front of a panel while they measure and pry. Already the details are being worked out, the definitions constructed, criticised and reconstructed."
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 27 Aug, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 80296.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even the sour banyan says Corbyn is being "absolutely realistic" !
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

This joint opposition seems like really good news. I hope the Labour whips are making it quite clear what's expected of Labour MPs!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
The first major speech by the chancellor Sajid Javid has been mysteriously cancelled by the Treasury less than 24 hours before it was due to take place.

A Treasury spokesman said that the one-year spending review, called a spending round, which had been due to take place later this year, was now being fast-tracked to take place in early September, adding fuel to speculation the government could be planning an early general election.

The speech, which was due to take place in Birmingham, was billed as Javid “outlining his vision for the UK economy.” In an email to attendees, the Treasury press office said the speech was being rescheduled but gave no other reasoning. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Quite possible then that he hasn't actually got one.

Good afternoon.

I seem to have spent the day - before my swim - trying to look up the right buses to catch next week when I'm in Provence to get to places...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Good that there has finally been some activity on here!

Return to work today meaning nobody has had any time to post?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oops.

Home Office settlement scheme ad banned for misleading EU citizens

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... u-citizens
The advert for the EU settlement scheme, which aired on 13 April, claimed potential applicants only needed a passport or ID card to complete the online form.

However, a member of the public complained that this was misleading as in some cases applicants need to provide proof of address covering the previous five years.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) upheld the complaint, ruling the advert was misleading and banned it from being broadcast again. The regulator ordered the Home Office to ensure it made sufficiently clear that some applicants to the scheme would need to provide additional documents beyond their passport or ID card.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good evening, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oops.

Home Office settlement scheme ad banned for misleading EU citizens

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... u-citizens
---
(cJA edit)
Where is government taking us?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The football news from both Bolton and Bury is not good - a genuine disgrace that this has been allowed to happen.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The football news from both Bolton and Bury is not good - a genuine disgrace that this has been allowed to happen.
You don't need to tell me that the EFL are an utterly useless organisation in respect of governance of clubs...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Do tell us about the "fit and proper" test for club ownership again.......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Damn. Even sport isn't going well.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

There's some interesting dialogue on whether or not the proposed "new powers for schools to get tough on behaviour" are just recycled announcements.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Answer - yes they are...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well that's me shocked :D
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Johnson’s schools ‘revolution’ is all about an imminent election. Here’s why it’s fake

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

He is always worth reading.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I missed Chris Cook's response to the TPW wittering on about the "freedoms" that free schools have, and that silly title given to the article by a FS teacher.
Chris Cook

Verified account

@xtophercook
Follow Follow @xtophercook
More Chris Cook Retweeted TaxPayers' Alliance
Uhhh. These are schools directly opened by Whitehall in locations chosen by Whitehall with Whitehall money by a trust chosen by Whitehall. These functions used to belong to LAs. They are not taking the state out of schooling, but a massive incursion by the central state into it.
Yep.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

'Reasonable force' - ridiculous. If something kicks off you make a sometimes instinctive, sometimes more thoughtful judgement call and usually step into the middle or try to sensibly restrain. Every time I have ever done this, including one time physically marching a kid about fifty yards down the corridors, hands firmly on shoulders, they have apologised and thanked me afterwards. Advice is to stand back but most of the time you just don't. I've known two teachers get broken arms from stepping in to physically stop fights but both said it was the right thing to do afterwards.

Whilst we're here, a story - the reason, I think, we can do this is because we have very strong relationships with our students, even if they sometimes break. I confiscated a lighter from someone once, and wouldn't give it back at the end of the lesson because it was only a week after somebody had started a fire and we'd been told to be really strict about that kind of thing. The Y10 boy, who I had taught since Y7, blew up at me, shouted, swore, picked up a chair and swung it around as though to throw it. I don't remember how but I got us out onto the corridor and somebody arrived and took him off. He came back about ten minutes later.

Sorry sir.
Okay. I had to keep it.
I know.
What happened?
I'm supposed to leave now anyway, so the teacher said I should go. I went into the cookery room on the way back here and lit my fag off the cooker.

I couldn't not laugh.
I still believe in a town called Hope