Tuesday 3rd September 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 3rd September 2019

Post by citizenJA »

I'm having an early night, everyone.
I love you all.
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Bernard Jenkins claiming that remainers voted for just as many different options as leavers.

Ummm...okay Bernard.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

How does that work, then?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

iain watson
@iainjwatson
BREAKING: 17 Labour MPs including
@GloriaDePiero

@SKinnock
and
@CarolineFlintMP
plan to amend tomorrow's anti-No Deal bill (if the opposition win tonight) to call for the latest version of the
@theresa_may
deal to be put to parliament. Their full statement coming up

:wall:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

words fail me (still)
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Thank you Caroline Lucas for pointing out how Mogg has ben lounging around on the front bench trying to act cool while everyone calls him a twat. He's been behaving like a spoiled teenager. Sit up man and show some respect.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:iain watson
@iainjwatson
BREAKING: 17 Labour MPs including
@GloriaDePiero

@SKinnock
and
@CarolineFlintMP
plan to amend tomorrow's anti-No Deal bill (if the opposition win tonight) to call for the latest version of the
@theresa_may
deal to be put to parliament. Their full statement coming up

:wall:
Yeah. Don't think I'll be bothering with the full statement.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

plan to amend tomorrow's anti-No Deal bill (if the opposition win tonight) to call for the latest version of the theresa_may deal to be put to parliament.
As far as I can understand any amendments would have to be voted on before the final wording of the bill is agreed.

This would stand zero chance.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Voting now.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Yay I love the BBC parliament channel commentary.

Let's hope we don't have to rely on VAR though.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Not sure I understand Peston's insights (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... rexit-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) at 21.54.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ayes: 328

Noes: 301
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Phew. Now don't do anything stupid Labour.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tory rebels given second chance to prove loyalty tomorrow before losing whip, says Leadsom (Politics Live, Guardian
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So if all goes 'well' we won't be leaving on 31st October and will have a general election soon thereafter...unless Corbyn foolishly accepts one before the 31st October because he sees no deal having been prevented by tomorrow's bill, loses that election, and we get Johnson with a majority with which he promptly rips everything up and we leave with no deal.

Please don't do it Jeremy, there's a good lad.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

John Mann voted with this Johnson government.

Hoey fair enough, she's round the bend, but Mann is an absolute disgrace.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Seems they have all been deselected. Those bridges have been burned. So now Mark Harper on Newsnight is reduced to appealing to those Labour idiots trying to bring back May's bill as an amendment tomorrow to vote with the government (such as it is). I doubt even Caroline Flint could be that stupid.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

The conservatives are down to 289 MPs.Their latest cunning plan seem to be to run a celebrity brexiter against Bercow in the next election.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Okay so even Richard Burgon is bright enough to say that Labour will not agree to an election until preventing a no deal brexit and asking for an extension is fully guaranteed by law and Labour won't trust Johnson if he promises not to hold and election before 31st October.

So that's another phew. And makes total sense. Why allow Johnson any semblance of control when he's been left flailing about impotently having to rely on parliament to grant him his wish?

The only way out of this now for Johnson is an election, let him stew in his own juices for a while, the backlash against Cummings has already begun so there's ample opportunity for what's left of the Tory party to eat even more of itself given a little time. There's no hurry.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Okay so even Richard Burgon is bright enough to say that Labour will not agree to an election until preventing a no deal brexit and asking for an extension is fully guaranteed by law and Labour won't trust Johnson if he promises not to hold and election before 31st October.

So that's another phew. And makes total sense. Why allow Johnson any semblance of control when he's been left flailing about impotently having to rely on parliament to grant him his wish?

The only way out of this now for Johnson is an election, let him stew in his own juices for a while, the backlash against Cummings has already begun so there's ample opportunity for what's left of the Tory party to eat even more of itself given a little time. There's no hurry.
The opposition parties have seriously got their act together over this at the moment - there was a remarkable consistency to their responses to the result.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm back, briefly.

As Sky'sGoneOut has already said, the deselections have been done. Don't know where the Guardian got the "second chance" idea from. Unless it really was Andrea Leadsom shooting her mouth off. Still, I imagine that puts the seal on tomorrow's vote outcome.

I saw an interview earlier (post vote) with Sam Gyimah. It was actually quite touching.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:
Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Okay so even Richard Burgon is bright enough to say that Labour will not agree to an election until preventing a no deal brexit and asking for an extension is fully guaranteed by law and Labour won't trust Johnson if he promises not to hold and election before 31st October.

The opposition parties have seriously got their act together over this at the moment - there was a remarkable consistency to their responses to the result.
I saw a snippet of an interview (post vote) with Dominic Grieve who was sympathetic to Jeremy Corbyn over the General Election vote. He quite understood why Jeremy Corbyn wouldn't trust a liar (I paraphrase. Just.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Boris Johnson's claim that he will "uphold the Constitution and respect the law" is being pondered by Sky's Lewis Goodall. He's wondering if Boris Johnson would advise the Quing not to give assent - thus giving him a get-out.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I hope the dog's alright.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I saw a snippet of an interview (post vote) with Dominic Grieve who was sympathetic to Jeremy Corbyn over the General Election vote. He quite understood why Jeremy Corbyn wouldn't trust a liar (I paraphrase. Just.)
It's nuts to think Dominic Grieve is no longer a Tory MP, or Ken Clarke or Philip Hammond...and poor Rory Stewart, from leadership hopeful to the removal of the whip in a matter of weeks. He sounds pretty sad about it but he can't say he wasn't warned.

Yes I think it's best to let this bubbling cauldron of shit simmer for a while.

I can't imagine what results is going to taste very nice.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

adam wrote:The opposition parties have seriously got their act together over this at the moment - there was a remarkable consistency to their responses to the result.
Not just that but the bill, if it passes tomorrow, is legally watertight and binds any Prime Minister to obey it.

I was under the impression such a thing was impossible but someone from the Lords with a jaunty beard assured us on Newsnight that was the case.

So not just consistent but legally brilliiant unless Lord Jaunty Beard* was talking out of his rear end.

*I do confess to not being able to recognise all of our esteemed lords and ladies and was having a wee when Lord Jaunty Beard was introduced.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Lord Lisvane, I think.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

That's precisely him, thanks and goodnight PorFavor.

The pictures on Google don't do justice to his beard's jauntiness.