Monday 9th September

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Monday 9th September

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

So having a look at that committee business will be interesting!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:No it's the Liaison Committee on Wed afternoon.

But keeping this open until Wed morning means he can't prorogue until Wed night?
Johnson would prefer we didn't notice his numerous contradictions.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

The Liaison Committee questions the Prime Minister on Wednesday 11 September at 3.30pm in the Boothroyd Room, Portcullis House.

Liaison Committee
Subjects to be discussed and participants

Brexit
Hilary Benn (Exiting the European Union Committee)
Sir William Cash (European Scrutiny Committee)
Yvette Cooper (Home Affairs Committee)
Meg Hillier (Public Accounts Committee)
Sir Bernard Jenkin (Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee)
Bob Neill (Justice Committee)
Tom Tugendhat (Foreign Affairs Committee)
Pete Wishart (Scottish Affairs Committee)
Sarah Wollaston (Health and Social Care Committee, and Chair, Liaison Committee)

Social policy
Clive Betts (Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee)
Frank Field (Work and Pensions Committee)

Climate change
Mary Creagh (Environmental Audit Committee)
Norman Lamb (Science and Technology Committee)

Witness
Wednesday 11 September 2019, Boothroyd Room, Portcullis House

At 3.30pm:

Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP, Prime Minister
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Beth Rigby

@BethRigby

NEW: Govt response on Grieve’s motion. Govt will share appropriate info with parliament but this “disproportionate and unprecedented”. Considering implications. Govt spokesperson (Politics Live, Guardian)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just a quick visit. Seeing Gove questioned about keeping things quiet and hidden emails, I wondered if PorFavor was reminded of Mrs Blurts emails.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ohsocynical

Hello! How are things? Well, I hope.

(Yes - I remember Mrs Blurt's e-mails.)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've considered the implications. I'm fine with it. If I had a great big job, I'd be an incompetent fool not to consider all my communications relevant to my work.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hello, Ohso!
:heart:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

A number of backbench Tory MP’s have been offering defences of the government position and longtime Eurosceptic Peter Bone says the legislation designed to prevent no-deal was “rushed through” without “proper scrutiny” and that this debate is being held for “political purposes”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 3ee1ae3278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
look at all that cognitive dissonance going on in Bone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Motion urging government to comply with no-deal prevention law passes without a vote

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn closes the debate and says his party would support an early general election once “the government had made clear they will carry out the law”, asking it to extend the Brexit deadline to prevent no-deal.

“Surely Mr Speaker, the very least we deserve from the prime minister is a clear undertaking that a requirement that we ask for an extension until January to prevent crashing out must be made at the appropriate time,” he says. “Why can’t the foreign secretary or the prime minister say that.”

After the government has made it clear they will respect the law, Labour would be happy to debate any of the government’s policies in a general election, Corbyn declares.

And the motion passes without a division
:rock:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Nick Robinson

Verified account

@bbcnickrobinson
Follow Follow @bbcnickrobinson
More
How to sum up last few days for @BorisJohnson? 5 days in Commons + 5 major defeats - 21 Tory MPs = 0 majority + 0 election + 0 plan for Brexit + 5 weeks of Parliament suspensed

8:50 PM - 9 Sep 2019
In the words of Bruce Forsyth "Didn't he do well!"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

So, let me see now...

Jeremy Corbyn - elected Labour leader in Sept 2015
Ian Austin - left Labour in Feb 2019

I make that some 3 years 5 months...

Um.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

There are reports that Irish politician Phil Hogan, Ireland’s European commission nominee, is to be confirmed as the EU’s chief trade negotiator.

The Irish politician has been critical of Boris Johnson and warned last month of the ramifications of a no-deal Brexit on the relationship between the UK and EU states.

“If the UK fails to prevent a crash-out Brexit they should be under no illusion regarding the foul atmosphere they will create with their EU partners and the serious consequences this will have for negotiating any future trade agreement,” he said according to the Irish Times. (Politics Live, Guardian)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

From elsewhere...this is just amazing. I mean, I know we should be used to this by now but even so...
CNN Politics

Verified account

@CNNPolitics
Follow Follow @CNNPolitics
More
Exclusive: The US extracted one of its top spies from Russia in 2017, worried about exposure and Trump’s handling of intelligence https://cnn.it/34xXzeq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I just remembered something I bookmarked...Spiked's new offshoot...

A new think tank for a new political era

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/a-new-thi ... itical-era
£1,880
raised of £10,000 target
3 days left
:lol:

Oh dear...

I wonder how many of the people who commented are writers for Spiked - I can see a fair number of names I recognise.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Bercow clarifies that the government must comply with the Humble Address.

So it may not be possible to prorogue Parliament.

Am I being over-optimistic?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

CNN
https://edition.cnn.com/uk/live-news/bo ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At tonight's ceremony, Black Rod will summon the House of Commons to the House of Lords. When the Commons arrive, representatives from each house greet each other -- the Lords by doffing their hat, which is British for "hello," and the Commons by bowing.
Then the government gets to read out their achievements from the past year, and then there is some speaking in Norman French.
Once that's completed, Parliament is officially prorogued. But it's not over. Lawmakers must then file out of the chamber, shaking hands with the Speaker as they go.
At this point, in accordance with tradition, the Spice Girls perform a medley of their hits.
Wait, no, that was the Olympics closing ceremony. Ah yes -- at this point everyone goes to party conference for a month to argue some more about Brexit.
;)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Ok seems that prorogation doesn't affect the Humble Address so the Government is obliged to comply by Wednesday.

Next question what happens if it doesn't?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Ok seems that prorogation doesn't affect the Humble Address so the Government is obliged to comply by Wednesday.

Next question what happens if it doesn't?
I think the Liason Committee also falls if parliament is indeed prorogued tonight - that's the impression I've got from reading the stuff in the guardian today. EDITED TO ADD - this is why Woolaston has been saying that Johnson should come and see them despite the prorogation (proroguement?) - because the committee can agree to just carry on and he can agree to attend.

I think if it doesn't then, as happened to May's government, parliament can hold the government in contempt of parliament. But it can't because it can't recall itself to consider the question, I don't think, but can only be recalled by the government. (edited again to say this is the case - parliament can only be recalled by the speaker upon a request by the government.) So they won't be able to do anything about it until 14th October (ish). And even then I don't think there's anything they can do if Johnson shrugs his shoulders and says 'I'm in contempt. So what'.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:
There are reports that Irish politician Phil Hogan, Ireland’s European commission nominee, is to be confirmed as the EU’s chief trade negotiator.

The Irish politician has been critical of Boris Johnson and warned last month of the ramifications of a no-deal Brexit on the relationship between the UK and EU states.

“If the UK fails to prevent a crash-out Brexit they should be under no illusion regarding the foul atmosphere they will create with their EU partners and the serious consequences this will have for negotiating any future trade agreement,” he said according to the Irish Times. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Top level trolling by the EU there.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Government fail in attempt to hold early election

Amid mass abstentions, 293 MPs vote for the prime minister’s motion, while 46 vote against it.

“The majority does not satisfy the requirements of the fixed term parliaments act,” says Speaker John Bercow.

“Once again, the opposition think they know better,” says Boris Johnson.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 06f45587f8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hadn't intended to stay awake for it but ran across it before shutting down the computer. I didn't watch the jeering scenes Lucas tweeted about a few hours ago. Johnson's words here seem an odd response.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

There are some serious scenes going on right now, as opposition MPs band together in protest at the prorogation by singing.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 06f4558853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I love you