Thursday 2nd October

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Thursday 2nd October

Post by pk1 »

@ anyone with a subscription to the Times, please will you copy across the article about how the AAA rating would be better retained under Labours plans than the Cons ?

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/ ... 223935.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm hoping it will be an effective rebuttal to the trolls & naysayers we come across on a daily basis.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 2nd October

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Not a member, but looks v interesting.

Credit Rating (S&P) says EU referendum biggest threat to rating, and seems unconcerned by Labour spending £28bn a year more.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

That's an early start to the day. MornIn' all. For some reason I can't see embedded content, so not sure if this made it yesterday. Conference rap........

[youtube]0YBumQHPAeU[/youtube]
Last edited by refitman on Thu 02 Oct, 2014 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: video added
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Thursday 2nd October

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Labour lead at 7 points on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 1st Oct -

Con 31%, (no change)
Lab 38%, (+2)
LD 7%, (no change)
UKIP 15%; (no change)

APP -22 (+1)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Not a member, but looks v interesting.

Credit Rating (S&P) says EU referendum biggest threat to rating, and seems unconcerned by Labour spending £28bn a year more.
Very good spot PK.

Can somebody tweet the link to Sparrow and for a laugh Owen Jones.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Release the Guardvarks.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Hello and good day to you all. It's the same person with an abbreviated username, not an imposter.

Can I just say I've always really loathed this pop star, and now I have an excuse:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 66575.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rhian E Jones ‏@RhianEJones · 46 mins46 minutes ago
Gosh it's almost as though pop is now the preserve of the posh and politically clueless or something
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Morning all. I've been chatting to Dan and Paul, and we think that we've now got the tools to stop spambots signing up to FTN, via having a Q&A as part of the registration process.

If people are OK with us implementing it, we'll put it live tonight, but before we do so, we need a question and an answer.

The question can be anything - generally it's along the lines of:

"MOOSE - what are the 1st, 3rd and 5th letters?"

or suchlike, but we thought that asking FTNersto decide on the Q&A would be polite, and perhaps a bit of fun too.

Go to it, people.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

What are the first, third and seventh letters of Dan Hodges' middle name:

"F", "C", "G"

Spell "Ian Duncan Smith":

"N", "O", "S", "F", "E"... etc.
Last edited by JackPranker on Thu 02 Oct, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

NonOxCol wrote:Hello and good day to you all. It's the same person with an abbreviated username, not an imposter.

Can I just say I've always really loathed this pop star, and now I have an excuse:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 66575.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gosh it's almost as though pop is now the preserve of the posh and politically clueless or something
Ey-up NOC. Good to see you again.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

What is the first name of the chancellor of the exchequer? We all know that but a Russian bot wouldn't.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Morning all. I've been chatting to Dan and Paul, and we think that we've now got the tools to stop spambots signing up to FTN, via having a Q&A as part of the registration process.

If people are OK with us implementing it, we'll put it live tonight, but before we do so, we need a question and an answer.

The question can be anything - generally it's along the lines of:

"MOOSE - what are the 1st, 3rd and 5th letters?"

or suchlike, but we thought that asking FTNersto decide on the Q&A would be polite, and perhaps a bit of fun too.

Go to it, people.
Biggest Twat? = Dopey Dave.

Seriously I think your suggestion is best for keeping spammers out. It's what the banks use.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

NonOxCol wrote:Hello and good day to you all. It's the same person with an abbreviated username, not an imposter.

Nice to see you back...Hope you're well.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

How about:

Mad Cow = Margaret Thatcher ?
[apologies to any mad cows out there]

Talking of the old bat, saw Pride yesterday, and can thoroughly recommend it.
Funny, moving, well written & acted, not a dry eye in the house at some points.
Even liked the Billy Bragg track at the final credits.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Two contrasting Ofsted reports this morning.

1. A no-notice inspection of Islamia Primary School (and yes, you can guess why...) on the grounds that "the Chief Inspector was concerned about the effectiveness of safeguarding arrangements at the school."

And guess what? All good.
School leaders, staff and governors demonstrate a strong understanding of contemporary issues facing a Muslim faith school. The school has a clear focus on preparing pupils for life in modern Britain within an Islamic community. Leaders are diligent and vigilant in safeguarding pupils to the potential of radicalisation and extremism and, for girls, Female Genital Mutilation. School planning shows full staff involvement in training for these particular aspects of safeguarding

2. An ARK primary school rated inadequate where last inspection (June 2012) rated it as Requires Improvement.

The bit I find interesting - and there was one similar is this. The school was taken over by ARK in Sept 2012 and yet what does the report say?
The headteacher has been in post since February 2014.
and
Until recently, teachers did not champion a culture that encouraged pupils to strive for success. Since January 2014, teachers have held higher expectations of pupils
and
Attendance is still below average. However, it is improving rapidly since school leaders put new measures in place at the start of April 2014.
and
the appointment of a knowledgeable and determined headteacher, supported by a new leadership team, has meant that the academy has made rapid improvements since January 2014.
and
A new team of ARK advisors has been working with the academy since January 2014
and
Since January 2014, the academy’s leaders have made changes that have led to rapid improvements.
and
As a result, the quality of teaching has improved since January 2014.
So...what are you trying to say - that ARK didn't do a damn thing since they took it over in Sept 2012 and only woke up around the start of this year?

So much for the wonderful things that sponsors are supposed to do.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

The tax giveaway is starting to unravel already, as it's pointed out that uprating the LEL in line with 2.5% inflation per year would pretty much take the existing thresholds to that point anyway by 2020.

Also, as well as "Green Crap", it's been noted that he didn't say anything about Inheritance Tax.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Two contrasting Ofsted reports this morning.

1. A no-notice inspection of Islamia Primary School (and yes, you can guess why...) on the grounds that "the Chief Inspector was concerned about the effectiveness of safeguarding arrangements at the school."
But, but there's a lady on Call Clegg whose son can't have pork - Never mind that the evasiveness of her answer means that he probably goes to a school where most pupils don't eat pork, so it doesn't make financial sense to provide a pork dish; she demands pork for her son, dammit!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Haha! Wonga to write off the debts of 333,000 customers! Hahaha!!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Peter Wylie, Robert Wyatt eat yet heart out eh?! Good to see you NOC!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

JackPranker wrote:What are the first, third and seventh letters of Dan Hodges' middle name:

"F", "C", "G"

Spell "Ian Duncan Smith":

"N", "O", "S", "F", "E"... etc.
Surely for Dan it should be "What are the first, third and eighth letters of Dan Hodges' middle name:

"H", "V", "H"?

Suggested login question - How many more polls does NickyB require?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Suggested login question - How many more polls does NickyB require?
:lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Anybody else pleasantly surprised that the broadcast media have actually been doing their job over Dave's speech?

(of course the captive press haven't, but you can't ask for the impossible)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

I notice that our new EU commissioner has an impressive grasp of his portfolio!
One of the sceptics was Philippe Lamberts, a Belgian Green MEP, who told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that “behind his charm there was apparently little knowledge of the subject matter at hand”.

“It is not about knowing the intricate details of financial regulation, it was even the main lines that apparently Lord Hill had no grasp of,” he said.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/o ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning.

@ohsocynical

Thanks for the Mike Hancock piece.

@AngryAsWell (and pk1) I'm looking forward to seeing some photographs if you (AAW) can get any!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I made a (very modest) donation to Labour yesterday. I hope David Cameron's speech has affected many more people in the same fashion.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anybody else pleasantly surprised that the broadcast media have actually been doing their job over Dave's speech?

Yes it's true. Eddie Mair absolutely nailed it in his interview with Nicky Morgan and I've hardly seen a good word about it since.

I find it annoying nevertheless that they all trot out the "upbeat" "fizzing" mood of a conference that they were probably nowhere near, contrasting it with the "downbeat" Labour one. But it's telling that they can only focus on the "tone" of the speeches. Ultimately, Milband's was replete with bullet-proof, fully costed policies, whereas Dave's was obviously all smoke and mirrors.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rearofthestore wrote:I notice that our new EU commissioner has an impressive grasp of his portfolio!
One of the sceptics was Philippe Lamberts, a Belgian Green MEP, who told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that “behind his charm there was apparently little knowledge of the subject matter at hand”.

“It is not about knowing the intricate details of financial regulation, it was even the main lines that apparently Lord Hill had no grasp of,” he said.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/o ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's like describing Cameron.

ConHome are pretty unimpressed with Osborne and Cameron's speeches. Like Oborne, I don't agree with Goodman's opinions (most?) of the time but you can see that there's a common thread to drive towards what he believes, not a "if you don't like my principles..." attitude that Cameron displays.
http://www.conservativehome.com/thetory ... first.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:Good morning.

@ohsocynical

Thanks for the Mike Hancock piece.

@AngryAsWell (and pk1) I'm looking forward to seeing some photographs if you (AAW) can get any!
I shall try! :)
@Ernst - hope to see you there :)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anybody else pleasantly surprised that the broadcast media have actually been doing their job over Dave's speech?

Interesting to see the FT editorial wasn't as impressed as most:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2585d674-4953 ... z3EuTVL1bT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The final paragraph:
On many issues – education, national security, and crime – the Tories go into the election campaign with a serious record of achievement. But in the bid both to draw a clear dividing line with Labour and reassure the wavering right, they have staked out a fiscal position that is neither sober nor realistic.
The right-wing posters BTL including NickyB are not impressed :lol:

@NOC - good to see you !
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rearofthestore wrote:I notice that our new EU commissioner has an impressive grasp of his portfolio!

I saw a bit of his Q&A session. Yes, all charm and no substance. And a sense of humour like treacle.

There was a German MEP who opened his question, delivered in English, with a remark that he was speaking "in the Queen's English but with a German accent". I thought it was hilarious but Lord Hill then launched into a painful attempt at humour which involved explaining that the royal family is, actually, of German heritage and blah, blah, blah . . . .

I kind of think the MEP already knew that. Hence his remark. Painful.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Lots of humour on Twitter today. Including this:

Alex Andreou ‏@sturdyAlex 13m13 minutes ago
Metro with the stories that matter: "Kim Jong-un ‘is so fat from eating cheese that he has broken his ankles’" http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/01/kim-jong- ... s-4888448/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Nick Clegg is very very cross this morning as Teresa May has been going around saying horrid things about him at the Tory party Conference, and it's just totally not fair! Apparently he has responded with a "very strong" letter demanding an apology, which I imagine is probably being passed around the Home Office by May's advisors right now, causing giggles and snorting from each new spad who gets to read it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... ruths.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

9,000 isn't enough for some, let's try 16,000 instead, I thought Margot James was one of the more sensible ones, seems not.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/n ... 87.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Well, I'm done with Andrew's blog until they get it into a usable format. I'm actually really angry about what they've done and it to a lot to not just post "twat's" repeatedly on the feedback page, last night.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:And to cheer everybody up a little

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... conference
BTL is fun too, although possibly I didn't go far enough down to see the trolls. Not beta, so readable.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

refitman wrote:Well, I'm done with Andrew's blog until they get it into a usable format. I'm actually really angry about what they've done and it to a lot to not just post "twat's" repeatedly on the feedback page, last night.
Sorry to lower the tone a bit, but the GBBO blog has gone beta as well, it was better than the programme. What will I do when Game of Thrones returns? :shock:

And worst of all, presumably County Cricket Live next year. :cry:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

letsskiptotheleft wrote:9,000 isn't enough for some, let's try 16,000 instead, I thought Margot James was one of the more sensible ones, seems not.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/n ... 87.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Margot James also admitted that the coalition government’s funding changes were “dangerously close” to the point at which they became more expensive than the old system,
I'm shocked etc...
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

This is quite an intersting article, trying to explain why the Tories appear so confident that they're going to win next year, despite every poll for the past four years screaming the exact opposite (and why they're wrong).

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... till-apply" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was particularly struck by this quote:

"It is these figures that inspire Boris Johnson and Kenneth Clarke to suggest that the next election will resemble the Tories’ 1983 vanquishing of Labour."

If the Tories really do think that then they must have lost all touch with reality. My understanding of 1983 is that the Tories managed to get a massive majority, despite their share of the vote decreasing, purely becouse the SDP tore the Labour vote in half, and lead to the Tories taking all kinds of seats that had previously seemed unobtainable. With UKIP now doing the same to the Tories, I don't think its fantastical to imagine that the same thing might happen to Labour this time around. And yet no mainstream political commentators or so called experts seem to be able to accept that kind of result might be a possibility. Instead we get this endless narrative about hung parliaments and everything being too close to call, and people sticking with Cameron becouse he "looks Prime Ministerial."
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

QT tonight:
David Dimbleby presents topical debate from Northampton. On the panel are Conservative Party chairman Grant Shapps MP, Labour's shadow business minister Stella Creasy MP, Liberal Democrat MP Julian Huppert, Fleet Street Fox blogger and Mirror columnist Susie Boniface and the founder and chief executive of Pimlico Plumbers, Charlie Mullins.
Never heard of Susan Boniface. Charlie Mullins is well to the right of UKIP.

Peaky Blinders is back tonight. I thought the first series was excellent.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

frightful_oik wrote:QT tonight:
David Dimbleby presents topical debate from Northampton. On the panel are Conservative Party chairman Grant Shapps MP, Labour's shadow business minister Stella Creasy MP, Liberal Democrat MP Julian Huppert, Fleet Street Fox blogger and Mirror columnist Susie Boniface and the founder and chief executive of Pimlico Plumbers, Charlie Mullins.

Glad to see Wonga making the news just in time for a Creasy appearance. Shall we guess the talking over and chairman interruption quotient? :wink:
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

StephenDolan wrote:

Glad to see Wonga making the news just in time for a Creasy appearance. Shall we guess the talking over and chairman interruption quotient? :wink:
Mullins is a complete gobshite despite not having the faintest idea what he's talking about. Will ramble on and interrupt incessantly. Shapps and Dimbleby we know about. I'd be surprised if Creasy manages to finish a sentence.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

StephenDolan wrote:

Susan Boniface has a sharp, very sharp tongue, mainly leans to the left but can be critical of Labour.
I'm off !
Catch ya laters :)
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

They've probably got Fleet Street Fox in to talk about the Brooks Newmark thing, as she's been one of the few other journalists whose been willing to come out publically and back Alex Wickham's methods of getting the story (though of course she does write for the Mirror, the paper that broke the story).

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/do ... lf-4349763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stella Creasy vs. Grant Shapps might be worth a look though, if Dimbleby lets her get a word in edgeways.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

frightful_oik wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:QT tonight: Never heard of Susan Boniface. Charlie Mullins is well to the right of UKIP.

Mullins is a complete gobshite despite not having the faintest idea what he's talking about. Will ramble on and interrupt incessantly. Shapps and Dimbleby we know about. I'd be surprised if Creasy manages to finish a sentence.
Isn't the only reason Pimlico Plumbers is famous outside of Pimlico because they used to employ a REALLY old man?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_Martin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Pimlico Plumbers rang a bell and when you look at their blog you can see why...

http://www.pimlicoplumbers.com/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So right up Cameron's backside then?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

According to Twitter, Shapps said on Daily Politics that the Tories are the party of "unfunded tax cuts"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

This morning it was Ed Sheeran, now Sol Campbell is backing the Tories and standing up for the rights of multi millionaire football players to live in their massive mock tudor mansions free from the grasping hands of the tax man.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... n-tax.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At this rate there won't be room on the guest list for Brucie and Cilla the next time Cameron holds a soiree for the stars.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Matthew Hancock had to delete a Retweet :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 12.34.21.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 12.34.21.png (56.9 KiB) Viewed 29276 times
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

gilsey wrote:
refitman wrote:Well, I'm done with Andrew's blog until they get it into a usable format. I'm actually really angry about what they've done and it to a lot to not just post "twat's" repeatedly on the feedback page, last night.
Sorry to lower the tone a bit, but the GBBO blog has gone beta as well, it was better than the programme. What will I do when Game of Thrones returns? :shock:

And worst of all, presumably County Cricket Live next year. :cry:
Covers eyes & hopes nobody reveals what happened last night because I haven't watched it yet....
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:According to Twitter, Shapps said on Daily Politics that the Tories are the party of "unfunded tax cuts"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The gift that just keeps on giving 8-)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"