Thursday 2nd October

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 2nd October

Post by AngryAsWell »

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft · 12 secs13 seconds ago
Heywood & Middleton poll (Survation):
LAB - 50% UKIP - 31% CON - 13%
LDEM - 4%
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ha ha. From a week ago.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/05f8f16a-44ad ... z3F1VsX9Hr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jean-Claude Juncker has deprived Britain’s Lord Hill of lead responsibility for overseeing financial sector pay in a serious setback for London that will help disarm critics in the European parliament.
In recent private meetings in Brussels, the incoming European Commission president has made clear that Lord Hill will have remuneration policy carved out of his job as EU commissioner overseeing Europe’s financial sector, according to two people familiar with the matter.
Well done, Dave. That stuff you spoke about Juncker went down well.

Prime Ministerial.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft · 12 secs13 seconds ago
LDEM - 4%
IIRC the Tories have doubled their vote. Then again hasn't Labours gone up as well?
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Ed Miliband visits Middleton to support Liz McInnes

[youtube][/youtube]

We were in front and to the left (looking at the screen) of ED. Press in front of us.
(I'll bet the embed doesn't work so here's the link
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

Thanks for pics and vid.
Pleasure :) He's even more handsome in real life, I have seen him once before but this time (apart from the press!) was better :)
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

No surprise the yougov poll shows Conservatives 1% ahead (35 to 34)
but the Survation Poll (headlined by the Sun on Heywood & Middleton by-election as showing UKIP tripling their share but forgetting to say Labour up 10% on 2010 result) so massive swing from CONS & LIBDEMS to Labour if correct.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rearofthestore wrote:No surprise the yougov poll shows Conservatives 1% ahead (35 to 34)
but the Survation Poll (headlined by the Sun on Heywood & Middleton by-election as showing UKIP tripling their share but forgetting to say Labour up 10% on 2010 result) so massive swing from CONS & LIBDEMS to Labour if correct.
Well that is hardly decisive.

If Labour's lead is 3-4 points then you are in polling error territory.
Release the Guardvarks.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

For Info
General Election 2010: Heywood and Middleton[7]
Party Candidate Votes % ±%
Labour Co-op Jim Dobbin 18,499 40.1 −8.2
Conservative Mike Holly 12,528 27.2 +5.4
Liberal Democrat Wera Hobhouse 10,474 22.7 +2.5
BNP Peter Greenwood 3,239 7.0 +2.6
UKIP Victoria Cecil 1,215 2.6 +0.7
Independent Chrissy Lee 170 0.4 N/A
Majority 5,971 12.9 −13.6
Turnout 46,125 57.5 +3.7
Labour Co-op hold Swing −6.8
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

So it seems that offering a massive unfunded tax bribe, promising to kick the poor again (harder) and destroying human rights gives Honest Dave a 1% lead in the new YouGov poll. Break out the bunting.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Spacedone wrote:So it seems that offering a massive unfunded tax bribe, promising to kick the poor again (harder) and destroying human rights gives Honest Dave a 1% lead in the new YouGov poll. Break out the bunting.
Not sure it has or will.

Surely General Election campaign/debates will get him called out?
Or would that be "Look at that Ed geek!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
LDEM - 4%
IIRC the Tories have doubled their vote. Then again hasn't Labours gone up as well?
Share in the last election:

2010 Share
LAB 40.11%
CON 27.16%
LIB 22.71%
OTH 7.39%
UKIP 2.63%

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conl ... dMiddleton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rearofthestore wrote:No surprise the yougov poll shows Conservatives 1% ahead (35 to 34)
The text on YouGov's website about the poll is full of caveats and contextualising. The snapshot of the graph screams 'outlier'. But none of that stops their homepage headline trumpeting 'CONSERVATIVES OVERTAKE LABOUR IN VOTING INTENTION'. They should know better. On the other hand, this is Peter Kellner we're talking about.

Fits their narrative........
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Lot's of excitement over the Tories having a slight lead in polls tonight, last time it happened was after the 2012 budget, for a miniscule period of time, same will happen again.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

refitman wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
LDEM - 4%

2010 Share
LAB 40.11%
CON 27.16%
LIB 22.71%
OTH 7.39%
UKIP 2.63%
So LibDems heading for yet another lost deposit.
http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conl ... dMiddleton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

refitman wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
LDEM - 4%

2010 Share
LAB 40.11%
CON 27.16%
LIB 22.71%
OTH 7.39%
UKIP 2.63%

I was thinking of the last constituency poll, which I think had the Tories on 7%
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
refitman wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: IIRC the Tories have doubled their vote. Then again hasn't Labours gone up as well?

2010 Share
LAB 40.11%
CON 27.16%
LIB 22.71%
OTH 7.39%
UKIP 2.63%

I was thinking of the last constituency poll, which I think had the Tories on 7%
There hasn't been a previous byelection poll for this seat.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Christ, I'm told Jaywick has been on BBC News!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

UKlPvoter ‏@UKlPVoter · 6 mins6 minutes ago
.@britainelects Let's see how many idiots have voted LibLabCon tonight then shall we.

What vote is there tonight ?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Times lead story sub-heading lying about Cameron leading for "first time in years".
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Will Black ‏@WillBlackWriter · 1 min1 minute ago
Tonight on #bbcqt Sebastian Fox, Michael Green and Corine Stockheath fight for the soul of Grant Shapps.

Not worth the effort.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Mark Ferguson is right on the polling tonight, yesterday Labour had a 7% lead, tonight he Tories a 1%, he doesn't believe either, fair point that.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Night all
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Sky news reporting on polls:

Westminster
Con 35 (+4)
Lab 34 (-2)
LD 6 (-1)
Ukip 14 (-1)
Others 5

H&M
Con 13 (-14)
Lab (+10)
LD 4 (-19)
Ukip 31 (+2)

@AAW thanks for the photos :)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Right wing audience carefully selected for QT I notice.....
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
refitman wrote: Share in the last election:

2010 Share
LAB 40.11%
CON 27.16%
LIB 22.71%
OTH 7.39%
UKIP 2.63%

There hasn't been a previous byelection poll for this seat.
Quite right, I am misremembering stuff.
Release the Guardvarks.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Is Northampton full of idiots?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Temulkar wrote:Is Northampton full of idiots?
It is a bit of an odd place. Not sure if it is full of idiots though.
Release the Guardvarks.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

QT is not a good advert for the place.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

UKIP woman being given lots of time. She's spoken more than any of the panellists.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

FFS Dimbletwat has just blatantly spun the Ukip figure in that H&M poll but not mentioned the increase in Labours numbers to half of those polled !!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Audience at political debate show talking about lack of political engagement.......:roll:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

pk1 wrote:Audience at political debate show talking about lack of political engagement.......:roll:
Look if I don't watch question time because it is wankery (and I am a political junkie) then I would suggest very few people do. The number of floating voters who watch it likely to be zero.

Turn it off, Tigers @ Orioles is a cracking game.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

frightful_oik wrote:UKIP woman being given lots of time. She's spoken more than any of the panellists.

It was Farage in drag(I'm not watching so that not might not quite "work")
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
pk1 wrote:Audience at political debate show talking about lack of political engagement.......:roll:
Look if I don't watch question time because it is wankery (and I am a political junkie) then I would suggest very few people do. The number of floating voters who watch it likely to be zero.

Just struck me as rather stupid comment to make by an audience member whilst sitting in a political debate !

Tigers & Orioles ? Not a clue who either of them are but I do know they ain't what I call footy :lol:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

pk1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Just struck me as rather stupid comment to make by an audience member whilst sitting in a political debate !

Tigers & Orioles ? Not a clue who either of them are but I do know they ain't what I call footy :lol:
Fair point.

I have nearly identical sporting tastes to Weird Ed Miliband. He just follows the wrong team.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

TechnicalEphemera wrote: Fair point.

I have nearly identical sporting tastes to Weird Ed Miliband. He just follows the wrong team.
My son emailed me and asked me for the password to BT sport as he wanted to watch the very same game...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RogerOThornhill wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Fair point.

My son emailed me and asked me for the password to BT sport as he wanted to watch the very same game...
It is a great game 2-3 top of 3rd.

It helps that the ground is absolutely tiny. If the ball goes up it is mostly gone.
Release the Guardvarks.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

pk1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

My cousin took us to see the Yankees play the Tigers in '88. Still got the rain check somewhere.

The amazing thing, given the state of British football violence in the '80's was that we were in a stadium in a still-scary-at-the-time part of the Bronx, surrounded by guys bellowing insults at an ex-Yankees player who had moved to the Tigers and was fielding just below us. Then they'd go quiet and politely order BEER from a guy with a tray around his neck, as if they were buying a carton of Kia-Oro in my local Odeon. Could you imagine that at The Den or Stamford Bridge in '88?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Hobiejoe wrote:
pk1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Look if I don't watch question time because it is wankery (and I am a political junkie) then I would suggest very few people do. The number of floating voters who watch it likely to be zero.

My cousin took us to see the Yankees play the Tigers in '88. Still got the rain check somewhere.

The amazing thing, given the state of British football violence in the '80's was that we were in a stadium in a still-scary-at-the-time part of the Bronx, surrounded by guys bellowing insults at an ex-Yankees player who had moved to the Tigers and was fielding just below us. Then they'd go quiet and politely order BEER from a guy with a tray around his neck, as if they were buying a carton of Kia-Oro in my local Odeon. Could you imagine that at The Den or Stamford Bridge in '88?
I don't think you get Baseball hooligans, the game is just a bit slow and long to maintain the intensity. Mind you they can wave those little towels around in a threatening manner.
Release the Guardvarks.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Hobiejoe wrote:
pk1 wrote: Just struck me as rather stupid comment to make by an audience member whilst sitting in a political debate !

I don't think you get Baseball hooligans, the game is just a bit slow and long to maintain the intensity. Mind you they can wave those little towels around in a threatening manner.
The abuse had a certain intensity to it, but I think they were having fun with it. I also reckon the sheer size of the US helps - the Intercity Crew would have to become the Trans-Continental Frequent Flyers - so unlikely to have many opposition fans in the same ground.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sadiq Khan's response to the Tories human rights plan

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/9900569 ... racies-and" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and an even more brief response from Liberty

https://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk ... ill-rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dominic Grieve calling them puerile

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ts-rulings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 03 Oct, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

LDEM - 4%
That's pretty much what I expected. H&M is a Labour seat and what's happening is that northern constituencies are swapping the Tories for UKIP - and probably with the same net effect in Labour safe seats. In Tory marginals? Well, that's a completely different matter.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Full document

http://www.headoflegal.com/2014/10/03/p ... ghts-plan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;