Thursday 2nd October

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Thursday 2nd October

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I'm very very happy today. Cameron's reputation for economic competence lies wrecked in the ruins of his "unfunded tax cuts".
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Matthew Hancock had to delete a Retweet :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scrapbook on it & they show Handycock not only RTs it but replied to it saying 'Like it' !!

Whoops :toss:

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/10/m ... of-queers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

A good post about the Labour vote in Scotland from John Curtice

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014 ... r-worried/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I'm very very happy today. Cameron's reputation for economic competence lies wrecked in the ruins of his "unfunded tax cuts".

Similarly here. :D
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

pk1 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Matthew Hancock had to delete a Retweet :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scrapbook on it & they show Handycock not only RTs it but replied to it saying 'Like it' !!

Whoops :toss:

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/10/m ... of-queers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just when you think their stupidity can't go further,they prove you wrong.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Good grief I'm whistling,I haven't whistled for years.Thanks for listening.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebekah Brooks withdrew trial-costs bid after judge asked for second opinion on phone-hacking questions, court told

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/10/02/ ... nion-phone
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:According to Twitter, Shapps said on Daily Politics that the Tories are the party of "unfunded tax cuts"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Apparently the little prick refused to rule out an increase in VAT to pay for the unfunded cuts too.

Funnily enough most people last night last night didn't believe they would ever see the cuts, mainly because they are dependent on the balancing of the budget, which ain't going to happen anytime soon.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

letsskiptotheleft wrote: Apparently the little prick refused to rule out an increase in VAT to pay for the unfunded cuts too.
Given that they've "refused to rule it out" on 3 previous occasions when they then increased it, it's a racing certainty that if they did, by some small miracle, win; this would be top of the list.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Damn! Can't make it to H&M after all. It would have been nice for Ed to have his photograph taken with me.

Ah well.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@RobertSnozers

I reckon you could be right.
And all this gumph about UKIP winning votes from Labour. Yes, they'll take some, but I can't see how Labour voters who are still unsure will be won over by so many far right Conservative defections...
Big money, ex Tory MPs and so on is very nice for UKIP, but I somehow doubt it will win over anyone who has even a slight leaning to the left and is fairly up to date in what's happening in politics.

The quip vote UKIP and get Tory is becoming reality. Hopefully the message will get through, because dammit, it's true.

Personally I'd rather waste my vote, than put a cross next to UKIP to keep a Tory out.

And if Farage thinks all those rabid discontented Tories are going to sit quietly whilst he runs the party, he has another think coming. As soon as they have enough like minded Tories behind them, he'll be out on his ear.

The more I talk about it the more I can see 'takeover' further down the road.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Thu 02 Oct, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Good grief I'm whistling,I haven't whistled for years.Thanks for listening.

No. Thank you for whistling!

By the way - someone said, yesterday, that they didn't go a bundle on emoticons but quite liked one of them (sorry - memory fail on who said it and which emoticon they liked). Anyway, your post reminds me (as someone else who doesn't do emoticons) that I was quite taken by the "whistling" emoticon that I saw used here some time ago (by refitman?). I just thought you needed to know that . . .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see AS has noted that the new Civil Service CEO has been found.
A government troubleshooter and former businessman has been appointed as the first chief executive of the civil service. As the Press Association reports, John Manzoni, currently head of the Major Projects Authority (MPA), will take on the £190,000-a-year post next month.
Oh, so what happened to their wish to get someone from the private sector?

I noted a while back this from the IfG:
Overall, there is a sense of hurry, not just in the muddle over the job description but also in the speed of recruitment. Normally, finding and appointing such a senior figure takes several months of inquiry, discussion and multiple interviews. The closing date for CEO applications is September 5th with a short-listing meeting the following week and final interviews the week after. The IfG takes longer over the appointment of interns. Moreover, the proposed start date is just six weeks later, which looks pretty short for ‘an outstanding individual who has a proved track record of running large complex, multiple-stakeholder organisations through a period of change and cost reduction’. This ’significant experience’ is ‘likely to be in the private sector’. Unless somebody suitable has already been identified, this looks an unrealistically tight timetable. There may well be candidates among executives who have already reached the senior level of a big company and can afford the probably large pay cut.
There you go - they botched it. No CEO of a major company is going to be on anything less than a 6 month notice period which is why they ended up with an internal candidate albeit one who has worked in the private sector before.

Looks like the FT forsaw this happening back in August...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d0003c56-23d9 ... z3EynZCib4
However, the government has drawn up a “plan B” to appoint John Manzoni, a former BP senior executive and now the head of the Major Projects Authority, if a suitable candidate does not come forward, according to the person.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:QT tonight:
David Dimbleby presents topical debate from Northampton. On the panel are Conservative Party chairman Grant Shapps MP, Labour's shadow business minister Stella Creasy MP, Liberal Democrat MP Julian Huppert, Fleet Street Fox blogger and Mirror columnist Susie Boniface and the founder and chief executive of Pimlico Plumbers, Charlie Mullins.
Never heard of Susan Boniface. Charlie Mullins is well to the right of UKIP.

Peaky Blinders is back tonight. I thought the first series was excellent.
Pimlico Plumbers rang a bell and when you look at their blog you can see why...

http://www.pimlicoplumbers.com/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So right up Cameron's backside then?

" I had the pleasure of hearing David Cameron’s speech in Birmingham after spending the last few days at the Tory conference campaigning for apprenticeships. To my mind he won the election right there. " :sick:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

I know it's probably been linked, but worth it anyway.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign ... ton-racist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My opinion of Banksy continues to climb. That mural was witty and apposite, its removal by the Tory local council a mean minded display of the attitudes the artist was lampooning.

It wasn't even sensible to remove it. Had the council more brains than right wing bile, they would have preserved it and flogged it. I mean, anything to keep council tax down, eh?

A Pyrrhic victory for intolerance, bigotry and stupidity.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Rebekah Brooks withdrew trial-costs bid after judge asked for second opinion on phone-hacking questions, court told

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/10/02/ ... nion-phone
Would someone care to tweet Louise Mensch?
Best to leave that kind of thing to Martin Rowson, he and la Mensch get on soooo well. :D

His latest (3 part) tweet is fun
I was out getting drunk y'day pm so missed Dave's big speech. What a shame. But feel he's missed a big trick vis "Small State" initiative...

...which is that individual responsibility show be devolved to point where you only obey laws you want to. In other words, if you don't...

...like the Human Rights Act, it shouldn't apply to you. This has added bonus that we'd all be able to torture Tories to death with impunity
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Good write up again, wish he had concentrated a bit more on the economics of yesterdays speech, rather than the character of Cameron, whom we all know is somewhat lacking.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JackPranker wrote:Image
Whoops! Still, at least it turned out to be appropriate.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Er - the above text was added as an edit. I did my trick of quoting instead of (in this case) thanking. And then made a complete lash-up of everything else . . .
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Chanel's shopping basket - yours for £7,000

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/article/ ... -7000.html

It gives the expression 'rubbing the noses of the poor in the shit', a whole new meaning doesn't it!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Roger, is that ARK's first Ofsted disaster?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 67639.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Norway at number one, was praised for the Government’s oil-funded pension scheme,

Britain came 11th in the Global AgeWatch Index of 96 countries scoring well on income security and having an “enabling environment” but health care was criticised.

This report has the black hand of the Tories all over it. From Thatcher to Dave.
Last edited by refitman on Thu 02 Oct, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: URL fixed
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Well, the Guardian really is in a muddle with Beta. Or rather they've got me in one.
A few days ago BTL. I at least managed to find the button for Approve. Took the same steps to get to Sparrow's blog today, but can find neither the button for Approve, or for Reply and not the faintest idea after looking around how to get them.

It's an even bigger cock up than the last time.

Do they not realise, it isn't a case of won't use it, but that we can't....
Last edited by ohsocynical on Thu 02 Oct, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

ErnstRemarx wrote:I know it's probably been linked, but worth it anyway.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign ... ton-racist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My opinion of Banksy continues to climb. That mural was witty and apposite, its removal by the Tory local council a mean minded display of the attitudes the artist was lampooning.

It wasn't even sensible to remove it. Had the council more brains than right wing bile, they would have preserved it and flogged it. I mean, anything to keep council tax down, eh?

Not sure if it was on here or somewhere else but, as I saw somewhere (and with apologies to RobertSnozers and any other essexboys/girls) in removing the mural they probably lost half the value of the town.
I still believe in a town called Hope
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Conservatives are now favourites (with two bookmakers) for Rochester.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index. ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Another defeat for Grayling or #failinggrayling

http://www.leighday.co.uk/News/2014/Oct ... r-cancer-d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re damages to cancer sufferers.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ErnstRemarx wrote:I know it's probably been linked, but worth it anyway.

Tower Hamlets' Liberal Democrat Council in the early 90s (the period when the BNP won a seat) showed the way on that score. Demolished Rachel Whiteread's House.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

What are the Education achievements the FT think the government has?
As I say, the leaders are often much worse than the rest of the paper.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

John Manzoni probably offered to do the job for that top Civil Service job for free, to get away from Universal Credit.

He isn't a career civil servant. He worked 24 years for BP. Recruited by the Coalition in 2013.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Thu 02 Oct, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

ohsocynical wrote:Well, the Guardian really is in a muddle with Beta. Or rather they've got me in one.
A few days ago BTL. I at least managed to find the button for Approve. Took the same steps to get to Sparrow's blog today, but can find neither the button for Approve, or for Reply and not the faintest idea after looking around how to get them.

It's an even bigger cock up than the last time.

Do they not realise, it isn't a case of won't use it, but that we can't....
Wasn't even showing comments just now :wall:

How long can the Graun stubbornly persist with this cluster***k??
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Heywood & Middleton by-election, from Survation released at 10pm, mean as it's from the Sun I doubt it will be too favourable to Labour..

Otherwise why would they do it?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Good question.

I expect a small Labour lead.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Heywood & Middleton by-election, from Survation released at 10pm, mean as it's from the Sun I doubt it will be too favourable to Labour..

Is it Survation normally have UKIP slightly higher?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/johnm ... have-gone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frothing aplenty btl here, no arguing with the bones of the argument though.

Small Labour lead for me too, with enough in the tank to get past the line, I'll take that after some of the hysterical headlines the last 6 weeks.

@Stephen, not sure, bit strange for the Scum to use them though, aren't YouGov their normal pollsters, you may be onto something.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Roger, is that ARK's first Ofsted disaster?
I think it might be - took their eye off the ball. The number of "it only started in January 2014" was clearly Ofsted wanting to make a point.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:Another defeat for Grayling or #failinggrayling

http://www.leighday.co.uk/News/2014/Oct ... r-cancer-d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re damages to cancer sufferers.
Nice of him to try and put that in a bill that sounds like it's about stopping villains ripping off legal aid.

What a brave, straight talker he is.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Five children in Dallas monitored for Ebola as second potential case found
Up to 18 people in Dallas being evaluated after coming into direct contact with America's first Ebola patient and five children among them are "priority number one"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... found.html

He had gone to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital on Sept 26 but was given a prescription for antibiotics and told to go home. According to Miss Wureh, he told the hospital he was visiting from Liberia, but it failed to suspect he was suffering from Ebola.

Now this is one of the areas where private health care fails dismally.

The guy was visiting relatives and felt ill.
Over there you don't go to a local GP, you go to A&E at a hospital. They probably asked for payment up front.
But who was going to get the ball rolling for him to be isolated and given loads of tests in case he didn't have it?
If the patient doesn't have the dosh, the doctor is reluctant to take responsibility because he'll get hauled over the coals if he costs the hospital money.
I don't know how they go on about financing tests etc, when the public concerned are at the bottom of the ladder financially. And on their record to date, you wouldn't get an insurance company to cover you against that eventuality for love or money.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Thu 02 Oct, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Roger, is that ARK's first Ofsted disaster?
I think it might be - took their eye off the ball. The number of "it only started in January 2014" was clearly Ofsted wanting to make a point.
Have ARK expanded beyond the natural limit of their support services? Are they going to need to spend a fair bit more.

Perhaps they could get rid of Daisy Christodolou and her re-inventing wheels department. Or would the purpose of that be to use public money to develop a syllabus they can sell for a profit?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ha ha.

Ofqual approves 'rubbish' Russell Brand A-level

http://news.tes.co.uk/b/news/2014/10/02 ... -quot.aspx
A new English A-level, condemned as “rubbish” by the government for including the study of comedian Russell Brand and other celebrities, has been given the go-ahead by Ofqual.

The English language and literature qualification is part of the new wave of exams that former education secretary Michael Gove said would bring more “rigour” to schools when they are introduced from next year.

But the Department for Education was unhappy when exam board OCR unveiled the content for the new A-level earlier this year.

Among the texts included for study were an interview with rap star Dizzee Rascal, tweets by journalist Caitlin Moran and Mr Brand's evidence to Parliament on drugs policy.

At the time, a DfE source said: “Schools should be aware that if they offer this rubbish in place of a proper A-level, then pupils may not get into good universities. We will expect other exam boards to do better.

“It is immensely patronising to young people to claim that they will only engage with English language and literature through celebrities such as Russell Brand.”

The DfE also noted that it would need to be accredited by Ofqual “against new, more rigorous criteria” and that it awaited the regulator’s decision with interest.

But today it was announced that Ofqual had approved the qualification, with all the controversial aspects left intact. Other texts include a TV interview with celebrity chef Jamie Oliver and a lecture from artist Grayson Perry.
:D

That's what comes when you try and play the populist Daily Mail-card...I remember the CiF discussion about this and the number of people missing the point was staggering.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

StephenDolan wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Heywood & Middleton by-election, from Survation released at 10pm, mean as it's from the Sun I doubt it will be too favourable to Labour..

Is it Survation normally have UKIP slightly higher?
Both Populus and Survation seem to favour them slightly. With Populus it is down to their revised weighting, Survation say it is because they mention UKIP by name in their question whereas other pollsters don't; not sure how true that is, AK is better informed on these things so might be able to shed more light.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

KATU News ‏@KATUNews 2h2 hours ago
BREAKING: Health officials in Texas say 80 people are now being monitored for Ebola. None have symptoms. #liveonk2

Didn't check one person properly, now look at how many people they're having to cope with. Private healthcare is extemely inefficient. Hopefully they'll all be okay.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I'm back, we got to see Ed but not very well as soon as he appeared the press & photographers barged us to one side so they could crowed in with mic's and film. :(
I'll try to upload some piccy's but I only have 2 clear ones, the rest were taken from between peoples arms. I heard him speak (all on NHS) but did not really see, let alone get to talk to, him. After the speech he went off to a coffee shop to speak to those inside. So we headed home, the press were all over the place. Crick was there (obnoxious piece of work) as was - forgot his name.
Back in a bit...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Scottish Labour still have a lot of work to do, if this doesn't pick up any hard work done down south will be wasted.. A swing of 8% to the SNP would give them 19 seats, they are already on 12%

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

From the Tories' new Human Rights proposals
Examples of how the new law will be different include:

Terrorists and serious criminals who pose a significant threat to the security and safety of UK citizens would lose their right to stay here under Human Rights Laws.
People who commit serious crimes in the UK, and in doing so infringe upon the basic rights of others, should lose their right to claim the right to stay here under the right to family life. So for example, a foreign criminal, guilty of causing death by dangerous driving and so taking away the rights of another citizen, would not be able to claim family rights to stay in the UK.
No one would be able to claim human rights to allow them to step outside the law that applies to all other citizens, for example a group of travellers claiming the right to family life to breach planning laws.
The right to family life would be much more limited in scope. For example an illegal immigrant would not be able to claim the right to family life to stay in the UK because he had fathered children here when he is playing no active part in the upbringing of those children.
Limit the reach of human rights cases to the UK, so that British Armed forces overseas are not subject to persistent human rights claims that undermine their ability to do their job and keep us safe.
What a load of bollocks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

A friends impression of Cameron.

What he sorely lacks is intellect. if he was smarter he could probably do a much better job pretending that he had either finesse or finer feelings or just a bit of empathy. For my sins I’ve met him (before he was elected, and what I got mostly, looking into his eyes, was fear. Not of me, obviously, but of the room he was in (not necessarily a friendly one). That and the make up he was wearing. There weren’t any TV cameras nearby, but he knew he might have his photo snapped I guess. Like I said: fear. All the way down.

For my sins I’ve been in many rooms with his brother: thick as three short planks is what he is. I’m pretty sure it runs in the family.

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YBumQHPAeU is even being viewed in America. Clever, but amazingly true.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Here's the link

http://jackofkent.com/2014/10/exclusive ... of-rights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh apparently it's embargoed. Does that mean I should delete the quote? Or are we like him OK?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Fuck Off Simon Hughes. Aah, feel better now.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... presidency" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But seriously, eight months before the election he finds the need to be radical, progressive again. :toss:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Here's the link

http://jackofkent.com/2014/10/exclusive ... of-rights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh apparently it's embargoed. Does that mean I should delete the quote? Or are we like him OK?

This got me "People who do not fulfil their responsibilities in society should not be able to claim so-called “qualified rights” in their defence in a court of law."

According to who and on what basis?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Here's the link

This got me "People who do not fulfil their responsibilities in society should not be able to claim so-called “qualified rights” in their defence in a court of law."

According to who and on what basis?
Well exactly. Who do they think they are to meddle and arbitrate with fundamental statements of rights? What they are really saying, very clumsily, is that as Tories believe that the rule of law, as defined by them, takes precedence over human rights.

And we know where that ends up.