Thursday 26th September 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Thursday 26th September 2019

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bris ... management" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 26th September 2019

Post by HindleA »

https://www.caremanagementmatters.co.uk ... arefuture/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... daptations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Luciana Berger has issued a letter to her constituents on Twitter telling them she would be stepping down as MP for Liverpool Wavertree, where she has served for almost 10 years, due to the challenges of “balancing personal and professional responsibilities”, particularly with young children.

She will be relocating to London after the next election and be standing as the Liberal Democrat Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Finchley and Golders Green.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

gilsey wrote:
Luciana Berger has issued a letter to her constituents on Twitter telling them she would be stepping down as MP for Liverpool Wavertree, where she has served for almost 10 years, due to the challenges of “balancing personal and professional responsibilities”, particularly with young children.

She will be relocating to London after the next election and be standing as the Liberal Democrat Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Finchley and Golders Green.
I'm confused. Is it being an MP that is hard work? Or being an MP, in a location where they don't like you, that is hard work?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Today's exciting announcement - at one extreme it could be something like a claim that another EU government have said they will veto an extension, taking that option off the table regardless of what else parliament does. It could be a follow on from the SC ruling and introduce political screening and approval of senior judicial appointments. It could be details of the next plan to prorogue before the next Queen's Speech.

Someone somewhere suggested that one of Johnson's plan Bs is probably to get the programme motion voted down which would lead to an election which would get rid of parliament and give him time for us to leave by default. It sounds like another sixth form debating club plan, but we shall see.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-49830355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

refitman wrote:
gilsey wrote:Luciana Berger has issued a letter to her constituents on Twitter telling them she would be stepping down as MP for Liverpool Wavertree, where she has served for almost 10 years, due to the challenges of “balancing personal and professional responsibilities”, particularly with young children.

I'm confused. Is it being an MP that is hard work? Or being an MP, in a location where they don't like you, that is hard work?
Quite.

I assume her family live in London.
Not likely to be an issue after the next election anyway. Does she share Swinson's delusions?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.communitycare.co.uk/2019/07 ... iew-finds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AS at the G
One consequence of Boris Johnson’s extraordinary provocative and divisive performance in the Commons last night is that it has made it much, much harder to see how any opposition MPs could vote with him for a Brexit deal in the next few weeks. It is hard to know whether he is even at all serious about trying to get an agreement through the Commons.

This has just been confirmed in the chamber by the Labour MP Lisa Nandy, one of the opposition MPs who has been trying to drum up support for a cross-party deal. Condemning Johnson’s “horrendous, divisive”, she said:

For those of us who do want to work cross-party to achieve a deal, this is making it much, much more difficult.
You would think so, but mouth almighty Jess Phillips said on Peston last night that they'd probably vote for a deal with a referendum attached. Solidarity Jess.

Academic anyway, no way BJ's going to put forward a second ref.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Phillips making it all about her again, you say??

I'm shocked.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:Today's exciting announcement - at one extreme it could be something like a claim that another EU government have said they will veto an extension, taking that option off the table regardless of what else parliament does. It could be a follow on from the SC ruling and introduce political screening and approval of senior judicial appointments. It could be details of the next plan to prorogue before the next Queen's Speech.

Someone somewhere suggested that one of Johnson's plan Bs is probably to get the programme motion voted down which would lead to an election which would get rid of parliament and give him time for us to leave by default. It sounds like another sixth form debating club plan, but we shall see.
I assumed it would be another attempt at calling a GE so Johnson can campaign as the only person who can deliver Brexit and win a massive majority so he doesn't have to work so hard at being PM anymore but be the nation's hero and wallow in the adoration that will follow "getting Brexit done", "do or die", "Floreat Etona".
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TV news tickertape thingy - they've managed to confect yet another Royal wedding (although the father of the bride isn't in particularly good odour).

Edited - typo
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

So what is this "surprise news" JRM promised us today?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky - Boris Johnson's sister says that his (Boris Johnson's) remarks re Jo Cox were "tasteless".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://labourlist.org/2019/09/labour-r ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Andrea Leadsom is about to speak - and the chamber empties.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Andrea Leadsom is about to speak - and the chamber empties.
As in the old Private Eye joke about Tam Dalyell (and then Paddy Ashdown)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm still a bit in shock after last night's abhorent display from Johnson.

What we had was MPs from all sides of the house asking a person to tone down their language because such language had been used to justify murder, threats of murder, threats of rape, threats to spouses, threats to children and in return they received sneering, boorish goading and mockery.

And that person was the alleged Prime Minister of this country. It beggars belief.

I realise Jess Phillips isn't exactly popular with some round here but I thought her urgent question at lunchtime was excellent. Whether it will persuade some of those cheering on Johnson last night to take a long hard look at themselves who knows? But somebody had to say something.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Phillips said something worthwhile on this occasion I agree, the problem is that she wasn't the best person to say it.

(Guido et al are already trawling through her past utterances to discredit her)
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Thu 26 Sep, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Boris Johnson has suffered another Commons defeat. MPs have voted down the government motion for a mini recess next week during the Tory conference by 306 votes to 289 - a majority of 17. (Politics Live, Guardian)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:
Boris Johnson has suffered another Commons defeat. MPs have voted down the government motion for a mini recess next week during the Tory conference by 306 votes to 289 - a majority of 17. (Politics Live, Guardian)
:clap:

Doubtless the ex-Tory MPs will have enjoyed that one.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:Sky - Boris Johnson's sister says that his (Boris Johnson's) remarks re Jo Cox were "tasteless".
Well yeah, and per AS blog she spoke well.

But have we seen the clip of Rob Rinder's show the other night with her and Stanley, where he displayed the most appalling casual racism and Rachel explained it to Tez Ilyas, who was almost entirely speechless apart from expletives. She seemed as unaware as Stanley.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Sky - Boris Johnson's sister says that his (Boris Johnson's) remarks re Jo Cox were "tasteless".
Well yeah, and per AS blog she spoke well.

But have we seen the clip of Rob Rinder's show the other night with her and Stanley, where he displayed the most appalling casual racism and Rachel explained it to Tez Ilyas, who was almost entirely speechless apart from expletives. She seemed as unaware as Stanley.
No - I haven't seen it. I'll try to track it down.

Thanks.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

claire savage #FBPE BitchesAgainstBrexit
@csav55
Anyone explain why we must leave on the 31 October, will we all explode if we don't? Have Brexiters forgotten that apparently we had to leave on the 29 March and we didn't so why is 31 October different? #stopthecoup
StepAwayFromTheKeys #RevokeArticle50
@AwayFromTheKeys
Replying to
@csav55
The people they borrowed the money from to short the pound send the boys round on the 1st of November?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

@PF
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:
adam wrote:Today's exciting announcement - at one extreme it could be something like a claim that another EU government have said they will veto an extension, taking that option off the table regardless of what else parliament does. It could be a follow on from the SC ruling and introduce political screening and approval of senior judicial appointments. It could be details of the next plan to prorogue before the next Queen's Speech.

I assumed it would be another attempt at calling a GE so Johnson can campaign as the only person who can deliver Brexit and win a massive majority so he doesn't have to work so hard at being PM anymore but be the nation's hero and wallow in the adoration that will follow "getting Brexit done", "do or die", "Floreat Etona".
& @AK - I suppose we must also consider the possibility that he was just making it up.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Phillips said something worthwhile on this occasion I agree, the problem is that she wasn't the best person to say it.

That would have happened regardless of who broached the subject. Any MP can apply to have an urgent question heard, Corbyn could have done it himself but was evidently happy to let Phillips do so and thanked her in his statement. I applaud her courage because facing down this level of shithousery is inevitably going to make whoever does it a target for even more abuse and she knows that.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

This is quite interesting..

https://twitter.com/josephballs_/status ... 3170255872

(short video, safe for work)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

adam wrote:This is quite interesting..
He looks about ready for a late night session on this forum if you ask me :D .
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
adam wrote:This is quite interesting..
He looks about ready for a late night session on this forum if you ask me :D .
Quick, play him some psychedelic electronica.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... mp-remarks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

No way I'm wasting good psychedelic electronica on that weasely little shit.

I'd probably go with some subtle criticism and play him this instead.

[youtube]eY7EPE9biO0[/youtube]
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

There is no doubt that Phillips is highly articulate. As I've said before, when pointing in the right direction she can be devastatingly effective.

I thought her instant addition of Esquire to her Twitter handle after Mogg's rant was a work of simple genius.

But....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Back from a swim and now watching the final session of the 2019 cricket season - Essex need 63 to win but a draw is good enough for the title. Amazing pitch though.
Yesterday Labour whips offered the government a non-aggression pact, saying that as long as the Commons sat on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, they would be happy to debate non-contentious business (meaning there would be not need for a three-line whip, and most MPs would be able to go to Manchester). The conference is said to be worth £30m to the Manchester economy, and Labour did not want to take the blame for the city losing out. The government whips did not take up the offer, pushed for a recess instead, and lost the vote.
:D

Serves 'em right.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I mean, the Tory conference can still go ahead can't it? There just won't be so many MPs there.

For a long time now the SNP have usually held theirs when Westminster was sitting, and continued doing so even after getting substantial numbers elected to it in 2015.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I was hearing that the Conservatives were trying to spin the Conference thing as damaging to Manchester's economy - and all the attempts at apportioning blame that inevitably went with that line.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Phillips said something worthwhile on this occasion I agree, the problem is that she wasn't the best person to say it.

That would have happened regardless of who broached the subject. Any MP can apply to have an urgent question heard, Corbyn could have done it himself but was evidently happy to let Phillips do so and thanked her in his statement. I applaud her courage because facing down this level of shithousery is inevitably going to make whoever does it a target for even more abuse and she knows that.
I know that, but her past history makes it easier for the usual suspect to dismiss what was said. Needless to say, I completely agree with her on this occasion ;)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Very happy right now...champions again!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Gossip on Twitter. Gov is scheduling loads of NI business for Monday so their MPs can go to the conference anyway :roll:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

According to HuffPost’s Paul Waugh, Boris Johnson is planning to go ahead with his speech to the Tory conference on Wednesday – even though PMQs is scheduled.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Jolyon Maugham and others are suggesting that Johnson is deliberately inflaming things in the hope of using the Civil Contingencies Act to shut everything down.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Other Twitter talk suggests it's impossible now to hold an election before November.

So Johnson is trapped. Hopefully.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

re the election. From AS earlier.
Richard Burgon, the shadow justice secretary, is making a point of order.

He says the Commons library has confirmed to him today that the soonest an election could take place would be Tuesday 5 November.

This would be after the 31 October deadline for Brexit, he says.

He asks the Speaker, John Bercow, to confirm this. Burgon says he think it is important for the public to understand that, even if Labour backed an election now, it could not take place before the PM’s deadline for Brexit.

Bercow confirms that this is his understanding of the rules.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Nominative determinism and non-determinism on Question Time tonight with disorderly
Mr Slack reeks (4,8) and
Merv's ace jelly (5,8).
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Nominative determinism and non-determinism on Question Time tonight with disorderly
Mr Slack reeks (4,8) and
Merv's ace jelly (5,8).
Given how uselessly shite reeky mr slack and the jellyboy are, it's really not a bad panel.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

DFH wins today'sMr Thicky award hands down...
(((Dan Hodges)))

Verified account

@DPJHodges
Follow Follow @DPJHodges
More
MPs have forced the return of parliament, and vetoed a recess over Tory conference, supposedly to deal with the Brexit crises. So can someone point me to what they have actually done this week, or plan to do next week, to address this crisis.

2:50 PM - 26 Sep 2019
And there was me thinking it was the Supreme Court but all the time it was those MPs!
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:DFH wins today's Mr Thicky award hands down...

[quote](((Dan Hodges)))

Verified account

@DPJHodges
Follow Follow @DPJHodges
More
MPs have forced the return of parliament, and vetoed a recess over Tory conference, supposedly to deal with the Brexit crises. So can someone point me to what they have actually done this week, or plan to do next week, to address this crisis.

2:50 PM - 26 Sep 2019
And there was me thinking it was the Supreme Court but all the time it was those MPs![/quote][/strike]

FIFY
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@Adam :lol:

PTO