Thursday 26th September 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 26th September 2019

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Actually the thought occurred to me that if the Supreme Court had never been created the ultimate arbiters of the law would be the Law Lords...who presumably wouldn't be allowed to sit once Parliament had been prorogued...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

State fund in Jennifer Arcuri row gave grant to firm that pays Tory MP

Call for investigation into £68,000 awarded to company that employs Johnny Mercer
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nny-mercer
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
State fund in Jennifer Arcuri row gave grant to firm that pays Tory MP

Call for investigation into £68,000 awarded to company that employs Johnny Mercer
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nny-mercer
After the Guardian pointed out that he was still registered as a director at Companies House, Mercer said he would be stepping down from Crucial after discussing the job “just this week with the permanent secretary in the Ministry of Defence”.
Fancy that!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Good little piece from Suzy Beever in the Yorkshire Evening Post on Jo Cox

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -10018275/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Absolutely hilarious. Wonderful comedy timing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ ... urn false;

Edited to add - it's a video of Nigel Farage's programme. The caller really has him!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

:lol:
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok so I see the Tory line, repeated by Cummings tonight, is that it's just as bad from both sides.

My response to that would be unless you can provide evidence of a Tory MP receiving threats quoting Jeremy Corbyn you can fuck right off.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is pretty funny...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Oh god no not James Cleverly on Question Time again.

Have pity on me universe.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

According to the Press Association, Cummings added:

I don’t think anyone is going to listen to reason because a lot of people (MPs) become really badly disconnected from what people in the real world and England outside central London thinks.
I hope someone somewhere is investigating just how much time Cummings himself spends connecting with 'ordinary' people.
I'm not convinced that reading reports of focus groups is quite the same.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Very weird photo' of Dominic Cummings on the front of the Guardian (online). He looks as though he's in the middle of removing his stage make-up. It's a rather creepy image.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Very weird photo' of Dominic Cummings on the front of the Guardian (online). He looks as though he's in the middle of removing his stage make-up. It's a rather creepy image.
Maybe he was going to remove the mask to reveal Ernst Stavro Blofeld...
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Question Time came tonight from Innsmouth...oops sorry I mean Cardiff, where deformed mutant fish people...oops I mean brexiters, tried to explain to Gina Miller that they knew more about the law than she did using grunts and whistles while slapping their limbs together. That last bit is true.

For the Tories we had the towering intellect of Mr James Cleverly. In his first answer Fiona Bruce had to point out he was talking bollocks, then undettered by this James tried a second answer only to be told he was talking bollocks again by Gina Miller. And this wasn't just your usual low grade Cleverly bollocks, on both occasions they were whopping great lies. In the first instance that Johnson hadn't used any of the words he'd been accused of using, and in the second that the high court had found in favour of the government (they didn't, they said it was non justiciable by them and should be referred to the supreme court). The rest of his performance was a collection of hoots and gurgles of no particular note.

For the civilised world we had Gina Miller. As I've mentioned above Gina had to put up with Cardiff's best and brightest brexiters telling her they knew more about the law than she did. The woman who had just defeated the government in the supreme court. This amounted to grunting morons saying things like "What about the law of 17.5 million voting for brexit?" (that's verbatim). She was calm and she was patient and she treated them with a respect they did not deserve. And in return they treated her with pig ignorant disdain and hostility. Fuck them.

For Labour we had Nick Thomas-Symonds of whom I confess I had little knowledge. Shadow solicitor general apparently. During an otherwise Earth like mostly harmless appearance he put in a surprisingly good defence of Labour's policy on abolishing private schools (which I agree with wholeheartedly) and got a round of applause from the audience that I suspect may have caused some to glance up in trepidation from their soggy biscuits.

For Plaid Cymru we had Adam Price. Adam called for a second referendum so obviously he was the best and most brilliant person on the panel despite the fact that I'm scratching my head trying to think of any other notable thing he said.

And finally for the Tories...oops sorry Ukip...oops sorry The Brexit Party Ltd we had Mark Reckless. Mark looks like the kind of guy you'd see in a second hand bookshop and think was a harmless eccentric. You might even strike up a conversation. Then immediately want to leave making no further eye contact. Because in actual fact he's a monomaniacal freak who will shoehorn brexit into absolutely everything. Say for example you asked him "Do you think Manchester United should sack Ole Solskjær?" his reply would be something along the lines of "It's immaterial whether they want to sack him or not because in 1998 Norway was forced to agree to EU article 2459 which states that Manchester United can't fire managers who are rubbish if the fans have a sentimental attachment to them".

I fear I may have conflated a couple of issues there but you get my point.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Come to think of it I reckon this would be the second time I've been reminded of Innsmouth while witnessing the denizens of Cardiff in a Question Time audience.

Perhaps what's left of the Royal Navy should be sent to investigate any strange underwater caverns in those parts and any Brexit Party funding should be checked for gold of a peculiar lustre.