Friday 27th September 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 27th September 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.

If you haven't, go and read Sky's QT review: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2164&view=unread#p220505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Friday 27th September 2019

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Just read it. A classic of the genre :-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Nice little Labour gain from Tories in Luton. Both main parties losing votes to the Libs but Tories more so. Hope it's an omen!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... xit-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Boris Johnson's 'Friend' Suddenly Changes Company Address As MPs Probe Awarding Of Government Money

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... k-politics
The address for Hacker House was changed from what appeared to be a nondescript block of flats in Macclesfield to a prime property on London’s Fleet Street as MPs probed allegations of a conflict of interest in the Commons on Wednesday.

Shadow culture secretary Tom Watson told HuffPost UK the address change in Companies House records would set “even more alarm bells ringing” about the “mystery” of how the firm was awarded the cash.
Move along now please, nothing to see here...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/exiting-t ... e-sectors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

httpshttps://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/2 ... five-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

There was a flurry of concern last night on that Twitter - possibly prompted by John Major - about a potential Order in Council. But...
David Allen Green
‏@davidallengreen
7m7 minutes ago
More
The constitutional position is simple

It is not open to the government, by Order in Council or side letter or a message written on the side of a startled cow, to do a thing which circumvents or frustrates a statute

Public law 101, 1968 case of Padfield
+
And any attempt at such tomfoolery can and would be quashed by the High Court on the basic Padfield constitutional principle within a couple of days, if not a few hours

Principle so basic it would not need to go to Supreme Court
:D
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Just read it. A classic of the genre :-)
Accurate assessment, too - I had the misfortune to see most of it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hello. The link won't work - (or it won't for me).
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
Hello. The link won't work - (or it won't for me).
Take the first of the two https out and it will...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Thanks!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I was wondering (here) the other week whether this situation was common all over the EU (where, presumably, internet shopping is on a similar scale) or was it particularly acute here. Does anyone know, please?

Edited to add -

The empty shops situation, that is. Might help if I explained what subject I was referring to!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Boris Johnson's tax pledge would cost £8bn a year, IFS says

Promise to lift threshold for top rate to £80,000 would boost incomes of highest-earning 8% of population (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-ifs-says
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The international development secretary, Alok Sharma refused to answer this morning when asked how the government could abide by the Benn Act and yet still leave the European Union on 31 October.

He told the BBC:

I’m not going to set out discussions that have occurred in the privacy of cabinet.

We are absolutely going to comply with the law, we are working incredibly hard to get a deal and we will be leaving on 31 October.

Sharma also said Johnson was right to label the Benn Act, the “surrender act”. (Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky reports "diminishing optimism" on the EU's part that a deal will be reached. There's the feeling that the UK is just going through the motions - and "no deal" will badly affect getting future trade deals with the EU.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ent-nurses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... letter-bbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Despite the lack of interest in much of the media, this Arcuri thing isn't going away is it?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/l ... nt-living/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:Sky reports "diminishing optimism" on the EU's part that a deal will be reached. There's the feeling that the UK is just going through the motions - and "no deal" will badly affect getting future trade deals with the EU.
If nothing else - if issues about trust and good faith were to be ignored for the moment - within the Article 50 process (and the development and implementation of the Political Declaration that sits alongside the Withdrawal Agreement is part of that process) other EU member states have agreed to compromise on some of their concerns in the interests of a deal, and those things (Gibraltar, Fish...) will all come back again if we leave without a WA, and I'm pretty sure too that as part of the Article 50 process it's possible for things to be settled by agreement between national governments themselves but afterwards lots of countries have a requirement to actually get parliamentary approval (and even state or regional level legislative approval).
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
The international development secretary, Alok Sharma refused to answer this morning when asked how the government could abide by the Benn Act and yet still leave the European Union on 31 October.

He told the BBC:

I’m not going to set out discussions that have occurred in the privacy of cabinet.

We are absolutely going to comply with the law, we are working incredibly hard to get a deal and we will be leaving on 31 October.

Sharma also said Johnson was right to label the Benn Act, the “surrender act”. (Politics Live, Guardian)
People are intently looking for the fiendish device with which they will be able to "have their cake and eat it" as far as the Benn measure is concerned.

I'm not sure if there is one tbh, just that they have all fervently decided to believe in unicorns. With barely a month to go......
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"dignity",only applies to certain restricted aspects and has an age requirement,apparently.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I suppose back to square 0 is a radical transformation,of sorts.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:I was wondering (here) the other week whether this situation was common all over the EU (where, presumably, internet shopping is on a similar scale) or was it particularly acute here. Does anyone know, please?

Edited to add -

The empty shops situation, that is. Might help if I explained what subject I was referring to!
It's an interesting question. What I'm finding is local shops that sold lots of hardware and home furnishings and stuff have disappeared from the high street but when I go online I can't find the sorts of things I used to buy. Before you could just browse in a shop, find something, read the box and buy it. Now you have to know what you want, think of online sellers that might sell it, look through all the websites, try to work out what it looks like from a fuzzy picture, try and find the specs buried at the bottom of the page, find out postage, create an account, think up a password, fill in your address and card details, wait several days, receive the package and open it only to realise its not quite what you wanted/ the size is wrong/it's broken.

I mean, online is definitely great for some things, but it's not so wonderful that local shops can't compete at all - if, that is, people have money to spend. I'd be very interested to know if the situation is the same in countries that haven't seen a decade of austerity and stagnant wages. I suspect their high street decay won't be anywhere near as advanced.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I was wondering (here) the other week whether this situation was common all over the EU (where, presumably, internet shopping is on a similar scale) or was it particularly acute here. Does anyone know, please?

Edited to add -

It's an interesting question. What I'm finding is local shops that sold lots of hardware and home furnishings and stuff have disappeared from the high street but when I go online I can't find the sorts of things I used to buy. Before you could just browse in a shop, find something, read the box and buy it. Now you have to know what you want, think of online sellers that might sell it, look through all the websites, try to work out what it looks like from a fuzzy picture, try and find the specs buried at the bottom of the page, find out postage, create an account, think up a password, fill in your address and card details, wait several days, receive the package and open it only to realise its not quite what you wanted/ the size is wrong/it's broken.

I mean, online is definitely great for some things, but it's not so wonderful that local shops can't compete at all - if, that is, people have money to spend. I'd be very interested to know if the situation is the same in countries that haven't seen a decade of austerity and stagnant wages. I suspect their high street decay won't be anywhere near as advanced.
Yes - and you're often buying a "pig-in-a-poke" and it's too much of a faff to return it. Also, lots of small items are only available as an add-on to a larger order (which the buyer may not want). It's a bit of a con in many instances. In very many cases, there's no substitute for seeing things in the flesh, so to speak.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Boris Johnson visiting a hospital (again) is asked the extension question. He answers by saying that he will get a deal but, come what may (the foregoing is my paraphase, but is accurate in conveying his message) "we are leaving the EU on 31st October".
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Nicola Sturgeon has backed the idea of Jeremy Corbyn becoming a caretaker prime minister, in a bid to secure an extension to the Brexit deadline.

The Scottish first minister tweeted on Friday that she agrees with the idea of installing the Labour leader as PM through a vote of no confidence in the Conservative administration so he can secure a Brexit extension, before then calling an immediate general election.

In response to a tweet making the suggestion, Ms Sturgeon said: “Agree with this. VONC [vote of no confidence], opposition unites around someone for sole purpose of securing an extension, and then immediate General Election.

“Nothing is risk free but leaving Johnson in post to force through no deal - or even a bad deal - seems like a terrible idea to me.” (Politics Live, Guardian)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

We can't leave with a deal on 31st Oct, it will take a couple of months to ratify one if it passes parliament.

This level of dishonesty is quite unprecedented.

I just can't work out if Boris Johnson wants to leave with no deal or whether he just wants to appear he'd leave with no deal before he's stopped by parliament so he can win the Brexit vote in a GE.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Or he resigns when it becomes obvious an A50 extension cannot be legally avoided, hoping to "return in triumph" later?

(he's vain enough to imagine he is a modern day de Gaulle, too)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Rudd apparently stunned by Johnson continuing as he has always done.I find her thoroughly convincing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Equally I was taken totally aback to find out I was me.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Some people maybe rationalised he would be "different" once he got the job he has always wanted.

Tbf to them, he has been.

He's got worse.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Richard George Wilks
‏@rgwilks1963
Follow Follow @rgwilks1963
More
Replying to @davidallengreen @BarristerSecret
I heard on YouTube David Starkey the well known constitutional historian suggest there was something wrong with the judgement of the Supreme Court on the recent prorogation. He seemed to be saying that as it was a recent body it carries less weight, or something. Is he right?

12:54 PM - 27 Sep 2019
David Allen Green
@davidallengreen
35m35 minutes ago
MoreDavid Allen Green Retweeted Richard George Wilks
Starkey is an authority on certain aspects of the Tudor court, nothing else or since
:lol:

Correct - and it's baffling that media think "Ooh we need a historian - I know...David Starkey!"

Do they really not look at his work and think "Actually, no - not his area at all"?

And yes, I know they don't think that...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Lammy

@DavidLammy

Right wing commentator Brendan O’Neill calling for riots over Brexit is the height of irresponsibility. Lost lives, broken families, burnt out homes, looted shops and damaged businesses are not some cheap talking point. (Politics Live, Guardian)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019 ... al-gardens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... e.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... edecessors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Rob Burley claiming to be shocked - SHOCKED - that Brendan O'Neill might have said something controversial and clickbaity :roll: :D
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Elsewhere - 50,000 tickets have been sold for the world athletics championships in Qatar. In total. It starts now and last for ten days. The stadium holds 40,000. I'm sure the world cup will be fine.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:Morning all.

If you haven't, go and read Sky's QT review: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2164&view=unread#p220505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great work
I've been away from the news for a little while and appreciate everyone's contributions here.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf- ... mpionships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:Morning all.

"He watches it so the rest of us don't have to" :)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Good thread at the Canary on the Naga Munchetty case.

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2019/ ... ster-today" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Humectant yang.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Nice.

British Army corporal tweets Angela Rayner will “perish” in Brexit “civil war”

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/b ... cxdqNCm_sY
A corporal in the British Army issued a death threat to a Labour MP and appeared to incite “civil war” on Twitter on Wednesday afternoon.

The corporal, whose Twitter account has now been deleted, wrote to Rayner: “Ohh fuck off you stupid bitch” and said the MP would “perish when civil war comes and it’s coming”. The soldier ended the tweet by adding that “17.4 million people are gunning for blood if we don’t leave”.
:shock:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -education" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Pto