Tuesday 1st October 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Tuesday 1st October 2019

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 1st November 2019

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... eath-at-27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... servatives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

". I have been raising the issue of Islamophobia within my party for nearly four years and have often been asked whether it is “as bad as Labour antisemitism”. I have refused to engage in this debate, because those who do are no friends of any minority. I will not play “Muslim victimhood” versus “Jewish victimhood” or any other form of racism – those of us who truly care about equality believe all need protection."
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 1st October 2019

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

I saw some of baroness Warsi's tweets about this yesterday. Have a look at the behaviour of Trevor Philips in this.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Michael Rosen gave Haroon Siddique a bit of a kicking, on twitter, over his reporting of Toby Young. The fact that that he omitted Young was being anti-Semitic himself.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

I haven't seen the "Brexit" countdown clock lately.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

I haven't seen the "Brexit" countdown clock lately.
clock-with-many-hands-CR3RTG.jpg
clock-with-many-hands-CR3RTG.jpg (18.86 KiB) Viewed 8628 times
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ha!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Still, as Boris Johnson has just said, "It's early days."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FWIW I do wish the increasingly irrelevant "class"stuff wasn't sausage mixed regardless.Not only does becoming ill etc not give a fart what class you are it just aids the "othering"thing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It's the deserving/undeserving thing in reverse and equally bollox.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I find the idea that experience is somehow graded on a sliding scale as to effects by income/status/class however defined,repulsive
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

You don't have to fit the sufficiently pathetic straitjacket attempts of left and right to feel.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And of course conform to it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The big debate today is should I risk listening to the Leeds v WBA and scupper their chances of an actual win,or is it just my being there that has that effect?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I originally intended to go but temporarily banned myself (until the 19th)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Peter Foster

@pmdfoster

SO. Can confirm, per source, that this plan reported by @tconnellyRTE IS indeed in the UK #Brexit backstop proposal that Boris Johnson will start to brief to EU Leaders tomorrow, per @Telegraph - utterly extraordinary /1https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/30 ... within-24/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … (Politics Live, Guardian)
Edited to add -

The plan, referred to above, being the customs post one.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Be fair,how do they know bollocking nonsense advances are bollocking nonsense until they are advanced?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... emy-corbyn

FWIW I do wish the increasingly irrelevant "class"stuff wasn't sausage mixed regardless.Not only does becoming ill etc not give a fart what class you are it just aids the "othering"thing.
I think Ryan is talking about attitudes, rather than realities and in that sense I think she's right. Healthy middle class people can't envisage themselves as in need of social security, even though they are just as vulnerable to redundancy and illness as people on much lower incomes. They therefore think of "benefits" as being for other people and don't care they are being cut because they don't realise it's their social security that's being slashed as well, not just "poor" people's. Until voters work out the Tories only look after the very wealthy and that means only those on £50,000+, thus a mere 10% of the population, we will continue to have people voting away the rights and benefits of "other" people which, in fact, is actually themselves. How much this is aspiration ("I might earn a lot one day and don't want to lose it in tax") I don't know, but there really are an awful lot of people out there voting for extra stuff for people better off than themselves at their own expense there ought to be a name for it. Stupidity doesn't quite cover it.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2019/1 ... ainlyMacro+(mainly+macro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)&m=1
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Willow,my point is in (re)presentation such incorrect assumptions/views are not only retained but amplified.You've done it yourself with the middle class don't give a shit line ,at least in part because of not confirming to this misrepresentation,equally by the left,of what benefits actually are and who applied to,as you say.The biggie of course is the State pension,which many,regardless of the wingism,categorise/wish to as somehow separate and/or more deserving.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not being dressed in rags,regularly visiting food banks and generally conforming to some on the left's view of sufficiently deserving enough to be used to scream fuck the Tories doesn't lessen the experience.Such things only take a crow bar to division.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:@Willow,my point is in (re)presentation such incorrect assumptions/views are not only retained but amplified.You've done it yourself with the middle class don't give a shit line ,at least in part because of not confirming to this misrepresentation,equally by the left,of what benefits actually are and who applied to,as you say.The biggie of course is the State pension,which many,regardless of the wingism,categorise/wish to as somehow separate and/or more deserving.
Yes, I agree with the amplification problem, but isn't Ryan saying this is the narrative we have to change? This idea that has been deliberately entrenched that benefits are for "other" people? I don't really know how you discuss the problems of the current dominating mindset without mentioning that mindset. There have been so many newspaper articles over the years about people on good incomes rapidly ending up on the poverty line after suffering ill health and being surprised at how little safety net there actually is, that the idea some middle class people don't understand what they're voting for is not an unfair one. The reason I focus on the middle class, rather than lower paid working class who vote Tory for whatever reason, is they are the ones who need to be convinced of the worth of a decent safety net to everyone, not just "others", because they are the ones, ultimately, who will need to pay more.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

My biggest bugbear, fwiw, is the complaint of "paying for other people's children"

We have all been children ffs and someone else somewhere would have similarly paid for us - benefits for children have been around since 1945, tax credits since 1909. Resenting today's child getting the kind of support you have almost definitely benefited from yourself is an attitude I find particularly difficult to have any patience with. The mindset that leads to such miserly and spiteful thinking is unfathomable to me.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:The big debate today is should I risk listening to the Leeds v WBA and scupper their chances of an actual win,or is it just my being there that has that effect?
Ah, a fixture with historical resonance for you lot!
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... emy-corbyn

I think Ryan is talking about attitudes, rather than realities and in that sense I think she's right. Healthy middle class people can't envisage themselves as in need of social security, even though they are just as vulnerable to redundancy and illness as people on much lower incomes. They therefore think of "benefits" as being for other people and don't care they are being cut because they don't realise it's their social security that's being slashed as well, not just "poor" people's. Until voters work out the Tories only look after the very wealthy and that means only those on £50,000+, thus a mere 10% of the population, we will continue to have people voting away the rights and benefits of "other" people which, in fact, is actually themselves. How much this is aspiration ("I might earn a lot one day and don't want to lose it in tax") I don't know, but there really are an awful lot of people out there voting for extra stuff for people better off than themselves at their own expense there ought to be a name for it. Stupidity doesn't quite cover it.
We identify with that which is or seems greater than ourselves. I think it's intrinsically human, looking for glory, wanting part of that power. The 'greater than ourselves' and 'glory' varies. A lot of money goes into influencing our decisions and desires - advertising. It works. What works on some doesn't work on others; we're not machines. Influencing others needn't be a harmful thing.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
Peter Foster

@pmdfoster

SO. Can confirm, per source, that this plan reported by @tconnellyRTE IS indeed in the UK #Brexit backstop proposal that Boris Johnson will start to brief to EU Leaders tomorrow, per @Telegraph - utterly extraordinary /1https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/30 ... within-24/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … (Politics Live, Guardian)
Edited to add -

I mean, is it just going to be laughed out by them?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:My biggest bugbear, fwiw, is the complaint of "paying for other people's children"

We have all been children ffs and someone else somewhere would have similarly paid for us - benefits for children have been around since 1945, tax credits since 1909. Resenting today's child getting the kind of support you have almost definitely benefited from yourself is an attitude I find particularly difficult to have any patience with. The mindset that leads to such miserly and spiteful thinking is unfathomable to me.
Yes, I've got a problem with those begrudging others' children. They don't usually stop there. Everyone becomes superfluous. Trauma and fear - that's where misers come from. Not all people experiencing trauma and fear end up misers. People are different; experiences are different. I've had great teachers and people who've loved me.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Peter Foster

@pmdfoster

Edited to add -

I mean, is it just going to be laughed out by them?
Hasn't it already been laughed out the room?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Probably.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.change.org/p/home-office-he ... 0773949cd5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some of us are still children and refuse all attempts,Governmental or otherwise ,to change.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]zud5vwvwBDs[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Is that football and boxing combined? (I don't really follow sport.)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tartan rug making competition that got out of hand.(@1.15)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Screaming "Fuck the Tories" is equally legitimate,regardless,was my attempted point
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@willow re the class thing-middle class people receive benefits,indeed more likely to, than the poor/oppressed etc and for longer,benefits saves countless amounts on acceptance of non mass-extermination;to begrudge payment towards is an exercise in paying more to harmful effects,equally potentially applicable to yourself.I just think class based analysis dirties the clear mutual beneficial case.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[quote]Police called to incident at Tory conference (Politics Live, Guardian)[quote]

Has Dominic Cummings sacked someone else, then?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -level-ons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another Tory record number
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 14.26.41.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 14.26.41.png (40.42 KiB) Viewed 8414 times
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Remember You're A CockWomble"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -level-ons

Another Tory record number
"There is no such thing as society".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Homeless corpses?Aren't they the non-people you step over when you are coming out of the opera"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

An updated adapted "witticism"(turdism)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Toryturdism"but is there any other kind?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apologies to turds.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:Apologies to turds.
Which, at the end of the day, perform a necessary biological function. Tories on the other hand......
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

If I slapped the face of a Tory Minister with a dead fish would I be judged innocent until such times it could be ascertained if the dead fish gave it's consent?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I wouldn't do ,to be clear just a thought.