Tuesday 8th October 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 8th October 2019

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Magazine is unbound variety pee (7,3).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Just came across an excellent Twitter handle

@RemoanerLisa :lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:---
... what's wrong with "growth in the future" or "future growth"?
(cJA edit)

it means it ain't happening now and someday never comes

edited to add (cJA edit)
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 08 Oct, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Whereas "Tory knobhead" remains a constant.
it's like a law of physics
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... n-released" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Missing something?
Hindle's Place.jpg
Hindle's Place.jpg (212.99 KiB) Viewed 5802 times
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/get-ready-brexit-check" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/brex ... -published" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ess-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Government has intensified it's bullshit since July 24th"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@adam

Apparently HindleA is having some difficulties organising his P.E. backcopies, if I understand correctly. Put me in mind of Peggy from the 2nd series of Fargo.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"After 50 years control by the dimmest and worst"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

To be clear, I'm not suggesting HindleA is living with Kirsten Dunst.

Or that HindleA isn't fully actualized.

It's a purely tome-based reference.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Like AK I had mine(rather less)sitting on a shelf quite happily,perhaps I should have let them be.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I may well be a figment of my own imagination as well as others'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Get ready for more Bullshit"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Six local council byelections last week:

Cardiff - Tory hold with 36% of the vote in what has been a classic "swing" ward in recent years - voting 3C/1Lab in 2004 in the first post boundary change elections then 4 Tories in 2008, 4 Labour in 2012 and 4 Tories again in 2017 (despite relatively modest vote changes overall) Tories dropped by six points on then but Labour were down nine, meaning a modest swing to the blue team overall. Plaid advanced a bit to 16%, not far ahead of the LibDems who doubled their score to 14% Greens last with 6% - they beat the LibDems at their previous outing in 2012.

Charnwood DC - Tory hold with about 45% in a ward where they have previously comfortably returned two councillors in every election since 2003, however this time they were run close by the Greens who managed to beat one of the two Labour hopefuls in their initial attempt here in May, and this time they got a double figure swing and finished just a few points behind the winner. Labour support down ten points to 13%.

Essex CC - Independent gain here from the local Residents group, with 37% - just ahead of the Tories. This division voted Tory in 2005 and 2009 by comfortable margins, before another localist group - the now defunct Tendring First - won it in 2013 before the Residents took it in a 2016 byelection and the same candidate held it the following year. This time round the Residents lost over half their vote and came a fairly distant third on 16%, LibDems doubled their score to 4% just ahead of Labour who dropped by 6%. Greens advanced slightly to 3%.

St Albans DC - LibDem hold with approaching 70%, up 5 points since May, in what has been one of their safest wards ever since it returned three LibDems in the 1999 all out elections - it has voted for them at every election since (16 times in all including a previous 2016 vacancy) and whilst the Tories made it close in the initial 2011 post-coalition election they have steadily fallen back ever since. They increased modestly this time but still had a tiny swing against them overall. Labour down 4 points but they fell less than the Greens who came last with 6%, so leapfrogged them - a small crumb of comfort for any also-ran.

Somerset W/Taunton DC - another vacancy for this new merged council that had its initial election in May, and as with the previous contest this was a LibDem gain that further strengthened the small majority they achieved then. This time round it was a gain from the Independents - this ward split 2LD/1Ind earlier this year but with no Independent candidate this time they took over half the vote, an 18 point increase on last time. Tories increased by even more and moved from 4th to runner up - but they still finished 15 points behind the winner in what had been good territory for them prior to the May massacre. Greens lost almost three quarters of their vote earlier this year with just 5%, Labour also clearly down with 2%.

Aberdeen - a rare "double vacancy" in Scotland saw Tory and SNP holds in a division that split 2Nat/1Ind/1C in the 2017 election which saw boundary changes here, and in a contrast to other results north of the border recently (especially since the change of PM) the Tories gained 10 points to 36% of first preference votes, meaning they unexpectedly pipped the SNP - who were little changed - into the runners up spot. LibDems - who had some strength in the predecessor division - doubled their score to 18%, whilst Labour lost 5 points to 6%. Greens on less than 3% and UKIP 1% (neither stood two years ago) and then very much the lesser of the two Indies who stood then, showing that their vote in 2017 was very much a personal vote for the elected candidate. A new left wing grouplet - the Red Party - had their inaugural electoral test here, and scored a somewhat underwhelming 0.2%.

Three contests this week.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Tue 08 Oct, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There is nothing fascist about brightest and the best according the thickest and the worst.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks AK as detailed and comprehensive as ever.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I see that Leave.EU's reputation for being a bunch of vile shits remains thoroughly deserved.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Leave%20EU%22&src=tren" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When they say "We" they mean "other people since they weren't even born then. Unless it's run by people in their 90s which is unlikely.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...Doris Ratnam sat at her kitchen table, trying to scan her German passport with her mobile phone. She was applying for “settled status” in the UK, the new immigration status the 3.4 million or so EU nationals living in Britain need to acquire if they want to stay in the country legally after Brexit.

Ratnam...is 72 and has lived in London since arriving as an au pair in 1968... .

...attempting to get her phone to suck all her personal details out of her passport. Something was not working, and we sat for 20 minutes in near silence as she moved the phone slowly over the cover of the passport, as shown in a reassuring Home Office Youtube video, trying to get it to read the chip hidden inside the document.
---
After repeated failed attempts, the app informed her she had been locked out of the system for 24 hours.
Tories lock most people out of the system; it's what they live for. It's a proxy war, Brexit. Tory party governments offer most people nothing but sorrow. Keeping people Tories don't represent distracted, that party invests time and everyone's resources into finding ways ensuring nice things are in Tory keeping. Everyone else can f**k right off, for all they care.

Gross levels of inequality are inefficient, wasteful and unimaginative. Everyone, including those refusing to share, are disadvantaged by this arrangement. Having too much is as unhealthy as having too little. Creativity, wholesome friendships, pleasant cooperation, a clean, sustainable environment and good health are only a few things lost for everyone when too few people keep too much for themselves alone.

Happy, self-confident people with their needs met and potential realised don't find any satisfaction from lying, cheating and mistreating other people. Speaking is for sharing important information everyone gains from knowing and listening is learning others' truth. The House of Commons is an inherently adversarial system making combative behaviour from all MPs more likely and cooperative endeavour less so. I don't say MPs from other parties are free from rudeness towards others and don't make mistakes but the Tory party is an ugly club at its core. Persistently ugly behaviour, personal rudeness, vindictiveness, selfishness and poor judgement I've seen and read about coming from the Tory benches in the House during the last ten years are typical Tory party MPs' characteristics. Where the Tory party came from and who it represents provide its historical and current goals.

There's nothing wrong with living together freely, in a spirit of solidarity, toleration and respect with everyone. We achieve healthier outcomes together than what we get isolated from one another. Power and resources shared fairly allows everyone learning and working at what they're good at, pleasing themselves and relieving others' burdens. Why isn't that wholesome satisfaction everyone can enjoy without ruining lives of others' nurtured instead of stymied?

Every Tory MP is a human being and I earnestly suggest they all set aside Tory party membership and cross the floor. Form a circle, not a simulated battle field formation. Set down defences and lose the nastiness. You'll be fine. Others will too. Surrender excesses you'll never miss and others can use.

I recommend individual counselling for any traumas endured though unacknowledged and not yet recovered from with trustworthy therapists.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Get ready for Brexit on 31 October 2019: check what you need to do
Use this checker to find out what you or your business will need to do to get ready for Brexit.
Start now
after clicking that green button, I ended up at the following.
What nationality are you?

British
Irish
Another EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland
Somewhere else
Next
I'm going to have to get some cocoa and toast before continuing further. I'll make enough for everyone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Everyone?"You may be some time.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Maybe introduce a Cja cocoa and toast points based distribution system?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Where do you plan to travel after 31 October 2019?
This includes travel that may have started on or before 31 October 2019.
Select all that apply. If you do not plan to travel, select next.

To the UK
To Ireland
To another EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland
To the rest of the world
Next
oh jesus
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Maybe introduce a Cja cocoa and toast points based distribution system?
My mother
"If you don't share now, you won't get any later"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Stockpiling and hoarding served no purpose; she'd not buy us more until it was gone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:Stockpiling and hoarding served no purpose; she'd not buy us more until it was gone.
Those we shared with reciprocated by sharing what they had with us; if it were possible for them to do so. One friend didn't get treats from his parents so he drew me pictures of flowers in the sand embellishing with stones, pieces of wood and fallen leaves. I've not thought about him in years.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:I may well be a figment of my own imagination as well as others'
Like Alex from Life on Mars
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

I'm still alive - although I doubt that that's wise!

Bloody

Trump\Syria
Boris Johnson\Dominic Cummings
LibDems.

I see the fishing industry is getting windy.

On the plus side - the council housing development in Norfolk has won the RIBA prize. On the downside of that, depressing that right-to buy will swing into action. I was spitting nails when one of the thrilled householders said that "of course she would buy the house under right-to-buy" (or words to that effect).

Has Boris Johnson submitted his Arcura documents yet (I know he missed the deadline)?

I couldn't get an appointment with the doctor until 30th October.

Edited - it's the Stirling Prize - not RIBA. Sorry for the bum steer.
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 08 Oct, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@adam

I loved the PTO!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Constance sends her best.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I thought the Scottish verdict (yesterday) was a wise one.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Do you think I can stop stock-piling toilet rolls (at least for a while), now?

Edited to add - prompted by citizenJA's earlier post
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@AnatolyKasparov

Thanks for your concern. It's much appreciated. I'm likely to be very sporadic in my "contributions".

(And thanks for your valuable election round-ups.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over...
4:38 PM - Oct 7, 2019

I'd like think that this was a joke or, better still, a spoof.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@refitman

Hello! Glad you're keeping us afloat.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
I've never seen it. But I've seen some repeats of "The Detectorists", and I'm quite enchanted.

(I admit that there's no connection!)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good to hear from you PF, I understand that real life sometimes gets in the way of this place.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Good to hear from you PF, I understand that real life sometimes gets in the way of this place.
It's all a bit "stream of consciousness" stuff.

Stream of something, anyway . . .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@PorFavor
I'm happy you're here.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Good to hear from you PF, I understand that real life sometimes gets in the way of this place.
It's all a bit "stream of consciousness" stuff.

Stream of something, anyway . . .
Stream of consciousness, yes. Re-reading Walt Whitman and insomnia contributed to my recent copious warbling.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

'A masterpiece': Norwich council houses win Stirling architecture prize

Street of 105 homes hailed as high-quality architecture in its most environmentally and socially conscious form (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... cil-houses
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just hearing that a toilet roll supplier is running out!
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:@adam

I loved the PTO!
It took me much longer than it should have done given that I occasionally end up teaching graphics.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
*COUGH* Spoilers!

rosebud was the sledge
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@adam

I hope you've got another masterpiece cued up. We might well need it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Picture of me falling over the line set as the "wallpaper?" of my laptop ,as a warning for younger viewers of the result of a dissolute lifestyle that makes Johnson's efforts amateurish.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

That's a joke by the way,I'm a good boy I am.

PTO

Contrary to below this post wasn:t edited.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 08 Oct, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.