Friday 3rd October

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Friday 3rd October

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

dfhodges wrote: It's an unpalatable fact to David's brother but David very, very much agrees with me on what's wrong with the Labour party. Watching the death throes of the party as it spirals into a six point lead in the opinion polls is heartbreaking for someone like myself, whose years of hard work at the GMB, Progress and the Telegraph looks to be all in vain.

Oh David; where art thou in the time of thy country's need?
Your tribal loyalty does you credit. People sometimes talk to me about policies, but there's a saying in politics. It's not about policies. David Miliband instinctively understood this, and never announced any. Where Ed failed so badly this week was by announcing a few that were superficially popular. All they do is give the impression he's trying just that bit too hard to win votes. There's real disquiet here on the Labour benches about this knee-jerk populism. They look over enviously at David Cameron.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

NickRobinson wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Nick, you're right there on the ground, where the politics is literally happening. From here, it seems that David Cameron is right at the heart of the big issues. Revamping the European Union, paying down the debt, bold tax cuts for the average Briton, reclaiming human rights. He's not run out of ideas at all. Yet it seems that all Labour is offering is Ed Balls setting out a load of numbers. Or am I being unfair on Mr Cameron?
That's right Andrew. Let's not forget that human rights are unpopular at the moment, unless you're the trade-unionist, Paedophile Information Exchange-affiliated paymasters of the Labour Party, the party of Mid-Staffs. My sources tell me that Mr Prime Minister Cameron, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which let's not forget he saved in the face of opposition from the likes of Alex Salmond and Gordon Brown, is relaxed about criticism in his own party, which is absolutely not a problem for him, but might cause sleepless nights for Ed Miliband if he has any hope of being the leader of the largest party on the second of May 2015. It's a divided Labour Party we see at the moment, with irreconcilable differences between Dan Hodges on the one side and everyone else on the other side, and Ed Miliband is running out of time to persuade people. His unpopular stance on people actually having some rights is not going to help him with the insurmountable problems he faces.
You've got to admire the ambition of it, haven't you? If it weren't enough rescuing the economy from Greek-style catastrophe (and let's remember, if it weren't for Iain Duncan Smith spooking Gordon Brown across the dispatch box, Britain would have joined the Euro), David Cameron is re-interpreting the whole Western tradition of rights. He went to Eton, so no-one can say he doesn't understand the subject. The contrast with Ed Miliband going to compre'ensive is very telling.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
dfhodges wrote: It's an unpalatable fact to David's brother but David very, very much agrees with me on what's wrong with the Labour party. Watching the death throes of the party as it spirals into a six point lead in the opinion polls is heartbreaking for someone like myself, whose years of hard work at the GMB, Progress and the Telegraph looks to be all in vain.

Your tribal loyalty does you credit. People sometimes talk to me about policies, but there's a saying in politics. It's not about policies. David Miliband instinctively understood this, and never announced any. Where Ed failed so badly this week was by announcing a few that were superficially popular. All they do is give the impression he's trying just that bit too hard to win votes. There's real disquiet here on the Labour benches about this knee-jerk populism. They look over enviously at David Cameron.
I think you might consider applying the 'bacon sarny' test to David ... and see how he does. This test matters far more than policies - or costing them - both very old hat. Others are also plumping to take this test rather than bother with policies.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10 ... K+Politics
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Retweeted by Ian Dunt
Jess Brammar ‏@jessbrammar 32m32 minutes ago
Geoffrey Robertson QC tells us Chris Grayling is "widely despised, no more than a constitutional vandal"
Ouch.

I've also heard that that Chris Grayling stretches his owls before waxing them. He is rightly widely despised.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.

Night PF :)
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Grayling at his finest.

https://kittysjones.wordpress.com/2014/ ... le-of-law/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Night PF
rebeccariots2 wrote: While we we there the local cat fostering / rehoming lady came in with several carrier baskets containing the latest arrivals and sad stories. We know her well having brought home a small herd / job lot of homeless black cats on hearing that, apparently, no one wants black ones anymore.
Why don't people want black cats? If/when I have my own place again a moggy, preferably a black one, is high on my 'wants/needs' list.

Oh, and I admire your willpower .... but how long will it last?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:This has nothing to do with politics.

We've had to take one of the dogs to the vets today ... weeing in her bed at night and drinking an awful lot. (Think she'll be OK - not clear what it is yet - but we're hoping it's not serious and we won't be taking an incontinent dog with us when we do our very intensive stint in the cull zone soon .... I have already checked out where the launderettes are in local Gloucestershire towns.)

While we we there the local cat fostering / rehoming lady came in with several carrier baskets containing the latest arrivals and sad stories. We know her well having brought home a small herd / job lot of homeless black cats on hearing that, apparently, no one wants black ones anymore.

One of her carriers was full of tiny black and white kittens. One had a sultry black female cat in it. And the other carrier - skawking at full pelt the entire time - contained 'Barnaby'. She told us he is with her because his owner is very very ill with a rare leukemia - that he is 10 years old and how hard it is to get people to take a cat of that age. Of course - I had to say it - I heard myself saying it - I said, how much I love older cats and how I have often had an urge to get another cat that isn't all black. She whipped off the fleecy blanket covering the carrier. Barnaby is a delicious - screeching - tortoiseshell.

I haven't succumbed yet. But difficult to forget. One to ponder.
I just hope I don't end up seeing the same thing. You are so goodhearted. Mr Ohso is out this evening, and no Spike for me to talk to. Hate it and yet hearing of poor Barnaby and the anguish his owner must have felt having to give up their pet, tells me I must resist. But my goodness it's hard.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

When the Labour Party (who will always get my vote, I live in Old Labour, post-industrial Wales and was born in Old Labour, thriving then, watched it die, Yorkshire) brings people like Andy Burnham more the the fore, people who have worked outside the Westminster bubble, who know what the real world is like, I think they'll be trusted again. I live in dread and fear of the UK opting out of the EU, here in my little bit if Wales we wouldn't survive without it yet I hear it spoken of by England as a leech on us. Not so.

PPE boys no more. PR spinning wankers no more. Real life, please.

(And though I listened to Cameron's speech re his son and the NHS, and I am terribly sorry for that family's loss, I am afraid I didn't believe him. Mods, feel free to remove this bit if it crosses a line, it does indeed and I thought by him using it cynically he crossed the line. I realise it's very sensitive, he lost a child which must be the hardest thing to ever bear. But he now oversees a govt that is axing services his son would need had the child survived.)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Night PF
rebeccariots2 wrote: While we we there the local cat fostering / rehoming lady came in with several carrier baskets containing the latest arrivals and sad stories. We know her well having brought home a small herd / job lot of homeless black cats on hearing that, apparently, no one wants black ones anymore.
Why don't people want black cats? If/when I have my own place again a moggy, preferably a black one, is high on my 'wants/needs' list.

I can feel it weakening by the minute .... but am still trying to muster a pretence of some resistance. No idea why people don't want black cats. Ours are very distinct characters - thank goodness - but Mr Riots is useless at telling them apart unless they're up very, very close and in his face.

That's a very scary avatar BTW!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

We've had to take one of the dogs to the vets today ... weeing in her bed at night and drinking an awful lot. (Think she'll be OK - not clear what it is yet - but we're hoping it's not serious and we won't be taking an incontinent dog with us when we do our very intensive stint in the cull zone soon .... I have already checked out where the launderettes are in local Gloucestershire towns.)

While we we there the local cat fostering / rehoming lady came in with several carrier baskets containing the latest arrivals and sad stories. We know her well having brought home a small herd / job lot of homeless black cats on hearing that, apparently, no one wants black ones anymore.

One of her carriers was full of tiny black and white kittens. One had a sultry black female cat in it. And the other carrier - skawking at full pelt the entire time - contained 'Barnaby'. She told us he is with her because his owner is very very ill with a rare leukemia - that he is 10 years old and how hard it is to get people to take a cat of that age. Of course - I had to say it - I heard myself saying it - I said, how much I love older cats and how I have often had an urge to get another cat that isn't all black. She whipped off the fleecy blanket covering the carrier. Barnaby is a delicious - screeching - tortoiseshell.

I do hope all turns out well for your Dog :)

What's wrong with black cats ?

<---------------------------------------- :lol:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

I was asked today to take in a 13 year old Westie, owner has died, I feel shit for not being able to, I have three hounds as it is, Ruby, a Cairn is 9 and 2 Scotties who are coming up to two. My life can't accommodate another dog, but at the same time I feel shit for not being able to do it.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Night PF

I can feel it weakening by the minute .... but am still trying to muster a pretence of some resistance. No idea why people don't want black cats. Ours are very distinct characters - thank goodness - but Mr Riots is useless at telling them apart unless they're up very, very close and in his face.

That's a very scary avatar BTW!
:D A fair amount of work went into it, so I thought I'd recycle it now it will no longer be seen on the Graun.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

George Osborne faces backlash after branding charities ‘anti-business’
Outcry after chancellor calls on business leaders to fight back against groups which challenge the free market

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... chancellor
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:I was asked today to take in a 13 year old Westie, owner has died, I feel shit for not being able to, I have three hounds as it is, Ruby, a Cairn is 9 and 2 Scotties who are coming up to two. My life can't accommodate another dog, but at the same time I feel shit for not being able to do it.

Don't feel shit letsskip. Don't. Sure you are doing all you can.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:

I'm hearing that in the same way that Brian Blessed shouts out 'What's wrong with BIG tomatoes?' on that TV advert. :lol:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

51A wrote: (And though I listened to Cameron's speech re his son and the NHS, and I am terribly sorry for that family's loss, I am afraid I didn't believe him. Mods, feel free to remove this bit if it crosses a line, it does indeed and I thought by him using it cynically he crossed the line. I realise it's very sensitive, he lost a child which must be the hardest thing to ever bear. But he now oversees a govt that is axing services his son would need had the child survived.)
Hi, speaking as one of our Olympian (ahem) mods, I would no more sensor your views than I would other posters'.

For a start, this is free forum, and unless you're having a go at other posters, or posting something that the mods here feel is particularly vile (and god knows, I think we're pretty broadminded) , then you post away.

As it happens, I personally think that Cameron's vile trafficking of his dead son (complete with peeled onion) is crassness personified. In my less than humble opinion, he took the NHS for what he could get - as he did social security - and now having no need for either, decides to fuck both of them over.

He has almost zero morals. I would never drag my family into my political utterances, and I fucking loathe people who do. And I'm a moderator. That should give you an idea of what the moderation's like round here...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Major Tom ‏@TheMajorTom7 4m4 minutes ago
missing feared compromised
#Fionawoolf
last seen shouting at #TheresaMay
" fuck right off, I am not, covering up that perverted shit 4U "

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

51A wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

When the Labour Party (who will always get my vote, I live in Old Labour, post-industrial Wales and was born in Old Labour, thriving then, watched it die, Yorkshire) brings people like Andy Burnham more the the fore, people who have worked outside the Westminster bubble, who know what the real world is like, I think they'll be trusted again. I live in dread and fear of the UK opting out of the EU, here in my little bit if Wales we wouldn't survive without it yet I hear it spoken of by England as a leech on us. Not so.

(And though I listened to Cameron's speech re his son and the NHS, and I am terribly sorry for that family's loss, I am afraid I didn't believe him. Mods, feel free to remove this bit if it crosses a line, it does indeed and I thought by him using it cynically he crossed the line. I realise it's very sensitive, he lost a child which must be the hardest thing to ever bear. But he now oversees a govt that is axing services his son would need had the child survived.)
We need to talk about Ivan

http://sturdyblog.wordpress.com/2012/03 ... bout-ivan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

BTW. Is YahYah all right? Sure I haven't seen any posts from her for the last couple of days...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

I'm hearing that in the same way that Brian Blessed shouts out 'What's wrong with BIG tomatoes?' on that TV advert. :lol:
LOL!
(Check out where the arrow is pointing - I finally got an avatar up! (thanks for the shrink page link :) and its my black cat, Rosie

:lol!:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:
51A wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Your tribal loyalty does you credit. People sometimes talk to me about policies, but there's a saying in politics. It's not about policies. David Miliband instinctively understood this, and never announced any. Where Ed failed so badly this week was by announcing a few that were superficially popular. All they do is give the impression he's trying just that bit too hard to win votes. There's real disquiet here on the Labour benches about this knee-jerk populism. They look over enviously at David Cameron.

http://sturdyblog.wordpress.com/2012/03 ... bout-ivan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My goodness. That hits home. I wonder what the author thought after Daves Convention speech?
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

AngryAsWell wrote:
51A wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Your tribal loyalty does you credit. People sometimes talk to me about policies, but there's a saying in politics. It's not about policies. David Miliband instinctively understood this, and never announced any. Where Ed failed so badly this week was by announcing a few that were superficially popular. All they do is give the impression he's trying just that bit too hard to win votes. There's real disquiet here on the Labour benches about this knee-jerk populism. They look over enviously at David Cameron.

Worst suspicions are shared then. And real. Thanks. It's disturbing.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

How much more publicity are the BBC going to give this wretched man ???? :fire: :fire:

Nigel Farage and the BBC told to stop filming at Food Festival

Mr Farage, who is set to fight for the parliamentary seat of Thanet South which includes Broadstairs, is being followed by a documentary maker working for the BBC in the run up to next year’s General Election.

http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/Nigel-Fa ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ErnstRemarx wrote:
51A wrote: (And though I listened to Cameron's speech re his son and the NHS, and I am terribly sorry for that family's loss, I am afraid I didn't believe him. Mods, feel free to remove this bit if it crosses a line, it does indeed and I thought by him using it cynically he crossed the line. I realise it's very sensitive, he lost a child which must be the hardest thing to ever bear. But he now oversees a govt that is axing services his son would need had the child survived.)
Hi, speaking as one of our Olympian (ahem) mods, I would no more sensor your views than I would other posters'.

For a start, this is free forum, and unless you're having a go at other posters, or posting something that the mods here feel is particularly vile (and god knows, I think we're pretty broadminded) , then you post away.

As it happens, I personally think that Cameron's vile trafficking of his dead son (complete with peeled onion) is crassness personified. In my less than humble opinion, he took the NHS for what he could get - as he did social security - and now having no need for either, decides to fuck both of them over.

He has almost zero morals. I would never drag my family into my political utterances, and I fucking loathe people who do. And I'm a moderator. That should give you an idea of what the moderation's like round here...
He has hardly been subtle about it either. They insist on privacy for their other children (rightly) including a "no photos" rule, yet those photos of him with Ivan were cynically trotted out in the run up to the 2010 GE; that Sturdyblog piece 51A has linked to is right on the money - including the point about the dignified way in which Gordon and Sarah have dealt with their own tragedies, anther big plus point for Brown imo.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Express and Mail celebrate the end of Human Rights, humanity despairs

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/da ... bt-4374387

One for you tweeters, succinct and to the point.
It's interesting to see the %s on the poll at the bottom of that page.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

There's only two things for it: either the Tories lose the election next year or we are all going to have to get out of this country. You don't imagine the freedom to run a site like this will last all that long, do you?
The truth ferret speaks!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

diGriz wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/da ... bt-4374387

One for you tweeters, succinct and to the point.
It's interesting to see the %s on the poll at the bottom of that page.
It is, Labour 44% Greens 24% when I looked :) That will do nicely !
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:Express and Mail celebrate the end of Human Rights, humanity despairs

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not for the first time - the Mail speaks. Hurrah for the Blackshirts.
Release the Guardvarks.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

When people wee all the time and drink a lot, they've usually got diabetes. Dogs get it too.

Admit it - Barnaby is yours. Just give in. You know it makes sense....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sunny Hundal ‏@sunny_hundal · 3 mins3 minutes ago
God. ISIS have released a video beheading of British aid worker Alan Henning. Identify US hostage Peter Kassig as next. (via @rcallimachi)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

So, we were discussing rebuttals earlier on today ........

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 72313.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like Sadiq Khan. Giving people like Burnham and Khan more opportunity to speak out won't do Labour's prospects any harm at all.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

:rock:

Rock on Andy!
David Cameron has forfeited the public's trust on the NHS
The truth is that market ideology is ripping through the NHS and, if it combines with a funding crisis in the next parliament, could prove utterly toxic for the NHS.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... -trust-nhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Louise McCudden ‏@LouMcCudden · 9m9 minutes ago
"The prime minister is going nowhere" - Peter Bone "That is true" - Ian Hislop #HIGNFY
Didn't realise HIGNFY was back, but it rather looks as though Dave is in the firing line (they've also just featured the CassetteBoy video).

Bone is woefully out of his depth, but his is not the most embarrassing Tory performance this evening; that particular honour goes to Michael Gove who has just been subjected to a thorough slapping on Any Questions from both Emily Thornberry and Shirley Williams, who reminded us she used to be a decent politician once.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:Sunny Hundal ‏@sunny_hundal · 3 mins3 minutes ago
God. ISIS have released a video beheading of British aid worker Alan Henning. Identify US hostage Peter Kassig as next. (via @rcallimachi)
Bad people do bad things.

In my view the only way to deal with this is ignore it and move on. Mexican drug cartels have been doing this for years and nobody really seemed to care.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Sunny Hundal ‏@sunny_hundal · 3 mins3 minutes ago
Bad people do bad things.

In my view the only way to deal with this is ignore it and move on. Mexican drug cartels have been doing this for years and nobody really seemed to care.
Very true, but sad none the less.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:So, we were discussing rebuttals earlier on today ........

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 72313.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like Sadiq Khan. Giving people like Burnham and Khan more opportunity to speak out won't do Labour's prospects any harm at all.

I think it's essential they do.
Although it shouldn't be that way, personal likes or dislikes have a lot to do with who people vote for. If we can see he has a strong team around him, it can only be for the good.
[But not forgetting all MPs would like to be leader, so he needs to watch them like a hawk]
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ephemerid wrote:

When people wee all the time and drink a lot, they've usually got diabetes. Dogs get it too.

There are a number of things that could be, I won't list them as there is no point worrying about stuff that might be fine. The key thing is you took your dog to the vets. As an owner you can do no more.

The local RSPCA rehoming centre used to smile when we walked through the door, so I can see the problem with the cat thing. You can always move out to give the animals more space.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

@AngryAsWell

Like your Rosie avatar.

Cat in a drawer. A classic. :lol:

(Why is there always a cat ready and able to jump in in a flash the moment you open a drawer or cupboard door?)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

There are a number of things that could be, I won't list them as there is no point worrying about stuff that might be fine. The key thing is you took your dog to the vets. As an owner you can do no more.

The local RSPCA rehoming centre used to smile when we walked through the door, so I can see the problem with the cat thing. You can always move out to give the animals more space.
Yes - you've got us nailed. We are just the sort of suckers that would rearrange our sleeping arrangements to accommodate the latest pet's introduction (Mr Riots slept in the office for several weeks with one of the dogs when they first arrived and had to be introduced to the cats very very slowly ...).

I think the vet has already checked for diabetes and ruled it out. We've had quite a lot of tests done today and most of the results are already in. Higher protein than there should be in the urine and blood - but that could be from an infection, and / or possibly the start of kidney problems. Not worrying unduly as yet.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:@AngryAsWell

Like your Rosie avatar.

Cat in a drawer. A classic. :lol:

(Why is there always a cat ready and able to jump in in a flash the moment you open a drawer or cupboard door?)
Whilst still a tiny kitten she some how got into hubby's sock draw (don't know how she jumped so high!) I walked pass, pushed the draw closed and spent the next 6 or so hours looking for her. After wrecking the house, pulling cupboard and chairs out (and even the garden although she was to young to go out) I finally traced the tiny cry I keep hearing, and saw two little eye's peeping through the crack where the draw hadn't shut fully. As I opened it she shot up my arm and on to my neck where she would not be budged from for the rest of the evening.

:lol!:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ephemerid wrote: When people wee all the time and drink a lot, they've usually got diabetes. Dogs get it too.

Yes - you've got us nailed. We are just the sort of suckers that would rearrange our sleeping arrangements to accommodate the latest pet's introduction (Mr Riots slept in the office for several weeks with one of the dogs when they first arrived and had to be introduced to the cats very very slowly ...).

I think the vet has already checked for diabetes and ruled it out. We've had quite a lot of tests done today and most of the results are already in. Higher protein than there should be in the urine and blood - but that could be from an infection, and / or possibly the start of kidney problems. Not worrying unduly as yet.
Fingers crossed for you...Or rather for your dog.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

ErnstRemarx wrote:I'm pleased that we've got new posters here - rather than the spambots we've been getting - but I get a horrible feeling that the political antennae of the newest posters isn't quite as sharply developed as some of the more established contributors.
I think it is difficult for some of us Newbies: Firstly, we don't know you and you do seem to know each other quite well so we have to find our feet. Secondly, it is clearly left-wing and I don't have a problem with that, I am a committed and active socialist, probably more so than the current leader of the Labour Party which I left in 1998 having worked very hard to get it elected only to realise that the prefix "New" meant "Not Really". Lastly, I hope no-one is put off joining by the idea that they may not have sharply developed political antennae - I don't want to discuss politics day in and day out but I care deeply. I have a history severe depression to such a point that I led myself and my children into homelessness due to my incapacity to deal with what was happening. Sometimes I am so depressed and anxious about what the tories propose if they're elected again I just think that if they are I don't want to/can't live through it again. In that case, I go light and silly, talk about something and anything else. Sometimes I just can't stare at black and shout into an abyss. I hope you can understand that.
(I don't think there's an appropriate emoticon for not feeling terribly welcome right now but glad you're here anyway.)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

mbc1955 wrote:There's only two things for it: either the Tories lose the election next year or we are all going to have to get out of this country. You don't imagine the freedom to run a site like this will last all that long, do you?
Now that's an avatar I've got to ask about .... ? Yours?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:So, we were discussing rebuttals earlier on today ........

I do as well. I live in London, and would benefit directly from him being mayor, but I think he needs to be right in one of the big 4 government/shadow jobs.

Mind you, if he keeps Abbott or Jowel away from the job....
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Not always a fan of Susan Boniface (aka Fleet Street Fox) but she is right on the money with this one!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/de ... ed-4372366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

51A wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:I'm pleased that we've got new posters here - rather than the spambots we've been getting - but I get a horrible feeling that the political antennae of the newest posters isn't quite as sharply developed as some of the more established contributors.
I think it is difficult for some of us Newbies: Firstly, we don't know you and you do seem to know each other quite well so we have to find our feet. Secondly, it is clearly left-wing and I don't have a problem with that, I am a committed and active socialist, probably more so than the current leader of the Labour Party which I left in 1998 having worked very hard to get it elected only to realise that the prefix "New" meant "Not Really". Lastly, I hope no-one is put off joining by the idea that they may not have sharply developed political antennae - I don't want to discuss politics day in and day out but I care deeply. I have a history severe depression to such a point that I led myself and my children into homelessness due to my incapacity to deal with what was happening. Sometimes I am so depressed and anxious about what the tories propose if they're elected again I just think that if they are I don't want to/can't live through it again. In that case, I go light and silly, talk about something and anything else. Sometimes I just can't stare at black and shout into an abyss. I hope you can understand that.
(I don't think there's an appropriate emoticon for not feeling terribly welcome right now but glad you're here anyway.)
Just to say firstly that I think Ernst's comment about new posters was very much tongue in cheek - aimed at the joke new posters that suddenly appeared this afternoon - dfhodges, nick robinson and (a bit later) Shirley Williams - which, I think, were inventions of Tubby and Robert Snozers .... Have I got that right guys? So nothing to do with actual real newbies.

And then to say - yes, I understand that us long termers / regulars do talk in a way that clearly comes across as, and is, clubby and that can be hard to decide you want to break into. I know I'd find it hard if I hadn't been here from day one.

BUT - we (I'm using the royal we there) genuinely welcome new voices and views. So very glad you've decided to join in - and please carry on.

There are a lot of us hoping that Labour get back to something that resembles the party we used to happily love and hate. One of my gardening clients said with great passion the other day .... I want the old Labour party back, complete with wrinkles and laughter lines.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

51A wrote:
You are more than welcome here :hug:
We had a "silly" day today where a few people signed on to the forum as well known "reporters" making daft comments. I think that's what Earnst was referring to - definitely not you or our other new (real) posters
Please stay, we have The Pub and Members areas for not political topics if you want to talk or just need a place to rant about anything :)
Have another hug
:hug: