Friday 18th October 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 18th October 2019

Post by Willow904 »

Laura Kuenssberg
@bbclaurak
There is (inevitably perhaps) an amendment that might get voted on tomorrow that could be a massive spanner in the works, even tho the MP who designed it says that's not his intention
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm struggling to see the spanner Kuenssberg is referring to. Letwin wants to pass an amendment attached to the deal if it's voted through that requires Boris Johnson to secure an extension so that we don't accidentally fall out of the EU if the ratification process lasts beyond 31st Oct, which it probably will. How is this a "spanner" when its Johnson's deal and he wants to leave with it?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
citizenJA wrote:What is the LibDem position now, please?
A good night U-turn from JA :lol:
Mr citizen came home with the information. Today, I made the mistake of relying on one news source for political coverage.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
Laura Kuenssberg
@bbclaurak
There is (inevitably perhaps) an amendment that might get voted on tomorrow that could be a massive spanner in the works, even tho the MP who designed it says that's not his intention
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm struggling to see the spanner Kuenssberg is referring to. Letwin wants to pass an amendment attached to the deal if it's voted through that requires Boris Johnson to secure an extension so that we don't accidentally fall out of the EU if the ratification process lasts beyond 31st Oct, which it probably will. How is this a "spanner" when its Johnson's deal and he wants to leave with it?
drama
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I think the LibDems will support Johnson's arrangement if there's a confirmation referendum attached to it. Please correct me if I've not got it right.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

citizenJA wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
citizenJA wrote:What is the LibDem position now, please?
A good night U-turn from JA :lol:
Mr citizen came home with the information. Today, I made the mistake of relying on one news source for political coverage.
Yeah we've been a bit shit ;-) Where are HindleA and PorFavor?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Actually I note HindleA did post for him very sparsely earlier and I can see PF

*waves*
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The test of this or any deal’s merit is not whether it is preferable to the worst outcome, but how faithfully it satisfies the initial promise of Brexit. The benchmark is a comparison with the benefits of EU membership. If, in 2016, anyone had described the leave option in terms identical to the deal now on offer, Mr Johnson would have called it fear-mongering and defeatism. Yet now it is his prized accomplishment.

There is now an answer to the question of what Brexit means and its cheerleaders are justly afraid to subject it to scrutiny. Mr Johnson’s plan is to railroad his deal through parliament with the aid of MPs who simply want to declare that the deed is done. But to acquiesce in that subterfuge, without due diligence, is not an exercise in democracy. It is easy to see how the prime minister’s interests would be served, but not the interests of the country.

Brexit is a choice that will reverberate for generations. It requires informed consent from those who must live with the consequences. If leavers are so confident that their project still meets the test of public support they should not be afraid to present it for ratification at the ballot box. It is time the people themselves were included in the decision.

The Guardian view on the Brexit vote: bin this bad deal
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Manufacturers express deep misgivings over Johnson’s Brexit deal

Clearly distressed by the government’s push for a harder Brexit than was agreed by Theresa May, chief executives from the aerospace, automotive, food and drink, chemicals, and pharmaceutical sectors, said their main concern was being excluded from EU regulatory institutions – a move that would diminish their influence and increase their costs.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ation-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnson doesn't care
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:I think the LibDems will support Johnson's arrangement if there's a confirmation referendum attached to it. Please correct me if I've not got it right.
I'm sure many MPs would consider this very seriously if it came up, but I don't think it will. Parliament steering a minority Government through a referendum it doesn't want is a big ask. Just working together to prevent "no deal" has been bumpy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you, everyone.
I'm done looking at the news for the evening.
Goodnight.
love,
cJA
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Good point that not only is Johnson proposing a bill he and May both said was unthinkable, she will vote for it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Willow,prioritising family over the selfish pursuit of career,/the "loss" of employment and "being forced" to do the very.fundamental of what you should be doing ;in sickness/,health mysteriously forgotten.I detest the devaluing of people in such disgraceful presentation.If an organisation trawls on such all pervasive narrative it will find what it wants.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Good point that not only is Johnson proposing a bill he and May both said was unthinkable, she will vote for it.
Hopefully someone might point out that they now seem to want something that was regarded before as unthinkable.

As for me, I'm off to the library all day and will try and avoid opening Twitter to find out what's going off...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The burdensome narrative is not essential in arguing for support,indeed it undermines it.Historic and current appropriation of a right to work by Governments' has an inglorious record and the,to me,obvious pernicious consequences appears to be continued unabated.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh my...
Fraser Nelson

Verified account

@FraserNelson
Follow Follow @FraserNelson
More
The Boris deal gives companies a strong incentive to relocate to Northern Ireland. They’d benefit from frictionless EU access and future UK trade deals. Makes for a richer Ulster and, ergo, a stronger union. Leader in the Spectator:
:lol!:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:@Willow,prioritising family over the selfish pursuit of career,/the "loss" of employment and "being forced" to do the very.fundamental of what you should be doing ;in sickness/,health mysteriously forgotten.I detest the devaluing of people in such disgraceful presentation.If an organisation trawls on such all pervasive narrative it will find what it wants.
Fair enough. I agree the narrative that people are being forced to give up work because of a lack of social care can be a pernicious one. It's possibly very far from accurate as well. I think the biggest problem is a lack of vacancies. People who want to combine work with caring have more opportunities to find work that suits their needs when there are more vacancies to choose from.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Four local council byelections yesterday:

Gravesham DC - Tory gain from Labour in this still "bellwether" council (even if the parliamentary seat has moved rightwards) with half the vote, up some twenty points from May. This result is all the more impressive given that the only previous Tory success in this ward this millennium was taking one of the three seats from Labour back in 2007 - in 2015 (when the Tories took the council before losing it back to Labour this year) three Labourites were even elected unopposed. Most of the swing did not actually come from Labour, which dropped fairly modestly, but from an Independent who did not stand this time and more particularly UKIP - who had a very strong result here by contemporary standards last time, but halved to 12% (still more than they usually get these days) now. Greens tried their luck but had to be content with 6%.

Liverpool - Labour hold with 73% of the vote, a slight increase on May and actually their highest score in a council byelection in 2019. Back in the 2004 all out elections the LibDems took one of the three seats here, but Labour won every election subsequently and here as in similar places things became super safe for them come the coalition years. Greens have taken second place here (though never getting close) in every election since 2011 and did so this time as well, though they were down almost 5 points on earlier this year. LibDems put on 3% to approaching 9%, Tories also up a bit but still less than 5%.

Richmondshire DC/North Yorkshire CC - a "double header" here with an Independent previously holding both vacancies saw differing results, the district seat had seen Indies beat a Tory by about 85-15 in a straight fight earlier this year in the first post boundary change election - they held it comfortably now but it was rather closer, with the Tories doubling their share to 33% and the Greens scoring 8%. The county division had voted Independent by big margins in every election since 2009, but it was now a gain for the Tories with an increase from around 30% to 45% enough to gain them their first success here since 2005 when they had only LibDem opposition. Independents dropped more than 20 points whilst LibDems got 10% in their first showing here for 14 years. Greens little changed with 5%

Next week is a busy one - eight contests.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh look...
Chris Dillow

@CJFDillow
Follow Follow @CJFDillow
More
On Radio 4's PM, Priti Patel repeated Raab's claim this AM that this is a "great deal" for NI because they get "frictionless trade with the EU. As with Raab, the interviewer missed the obv qn: if frictionless trade is such a good thing, why can't the whole of the UK have it?
Clearly Fraser Nelson is just repeating the line he's got from No 10.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I see Freedland also trots out the Corbyn secretly wants Johnson to win line.

:roll: