Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th October 2014

Post by tinyclanger2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:Goodness me that Guardian editorial on the Lib Dems really is a frightful, contemptible pile of absolute steaming horseshit.

I hadn't read a Guardian editorial for several months before today. Have they really been this bad?

Any future cultural historians who want to understand how Britain's media became even more right-wing under the Coalition could do worse than read "The liberal moment has come", look at the policies the filth actually voted for over the course of four and a half years, and then read today's communication from Planet Beta, aka the "world's leading liberal voice".
The Guardian is dead. Time to consider the alternatives. My suggestion the other day that we try to start up a progressively-inclined news source here went down like a cup of cold sick, but what are the possibilities open to us who are fed up with rightwing hegemony in the serious press?
I'm with you but can't do anything serious until the end of the year.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:Goodness me that Guardian editorial on the Lib Dems really is a frightful, contemptible pile of absolute steaming horseshit.

I hadn't read a Guardian editorial for several months before today. Have they really been this bad?

Any future cultural historians who want to understand how Britain's media became even more right-wing under the Coalition could do worse than read "The liberal moment has come", look at the policies the filth actually voted for over the course of four and a half years, and then read today's communication from Planet Beta, aka the "world's leading liberal voice".
The Guardian is dead. Time to consider the alternatives. My suggestion the other day that we try to start up a progressively-inclined news source here went down like a cup of cold sick, but what are the possibilities open to us who are fed up with rightwing hegemony in the serious press?
I thought it was a good idea. I think though it would demand more expertise or time than some of us [ me included ] feel they have. We'd have to leave it to those who could make a fist of it but I can't see why you don't give it a go.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Packed to the rafters to hear Jo Swinson speaking :lol:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

yahyah wrote:
Packed to the rafters to hear Jo Swinson speaking :lol:
Yikes. That's pretty bad.
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sat 04 Oct, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Not really "winning here" are they?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Can life in a nursing home be made uplifting and purposeful?
One young doctor in upstate New York thought so and he came up with a highly eccentric way of demonstrating it. In this extract from his book Being Mortal, Atul Gawande tells the story of Bill Thomas and his miraculous menagerie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... seful.html
Wow! Just wow! And I've never used that expression before.
That's a lovely story. I wish there were many more like him.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://debt-clock.org/

Blimey. I think I'd go mad if I watched that for long.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Not really "winning here" are they?

Not enough room on the poster for 'losing our deposit here'.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Can life in a nursing home be made uplifting and purposeful?
One young doctor in upstate New York thought so and he came up with a highly eccentric way of demonstrating it. In this extract from his book Being Mortal, Atul Gawande tells the story of Bill Thomas and his miraculous menagerie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... seful.html
Wow! Just wow! And I've never used that expression before.
That's a lovely story. I wish there were many more like him.
Isn't it just. The home my uncle's in is soul destroying. They keep spending money extending and making improvements but the old folk are a secondary consideration.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Etymology of Rees-Moggie

The name Reese derives from the Welsh “Rhys” meaning “ardor.” The name is also associated with meaning “zealous” or “enthusiasm.”
Rhys was the name of various Welsh rulers.

http://wiki.name.com/en/Reese" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rees moggie.jpg
:lol!: :dance: :lol!: :clap:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Richard Ruzyllo ‏@spygun 4m4 minutes ago
#LibdemConference sex debate. Seeing lots of delegates in raincoats with the Guardian neatly folded in their laps.......

8-) :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

From Maria Eagle :
Did you hear what Liz Truss - the Tory Environment Secretary - announced was top of her priority list this week?

Bringing back fox hunting. That's right - instead of sorting out the mess they've made of our country, the Tories are fixating yet again on overturning the decade-old ban on this brutal bloodsport.

I'm not going to stand by and let this happen. Let's make so much noise that the Tories have to leave fox hunting in the dustbin of history.

Will you sign my petition against bringing back fox hunting now?

Yes - I'll sign the petition

Sorry - I'm pro fox hunting

There is so much that the Tories should be doing right now that would make life better for millions of people in our county. Doesn't it just speak volumes that they're choosing to obsess over this instead?

Labour consigned fox hunting to the history books - and that's where it belongs. Help us keep it there:

Sign the petition

Thank you,
Maria

Maria Eagle
Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:From Maria Eagle :
Did you hear what Liz Truss - the Tory Environment Secretary - announced was top of her priority list this week?

Bringing back fox hunting. That's right - instead of sorting out the mess they've made of our country, the Tories are fixating yet again on overturning the decade-old ban on this brutal bloodsport.

I'm not going to stand by and let this happen. Let's make so much noise that the Tories have to leave fox hunting in the dustbin of history.

There is so much that the Tories should be doing right now that would make life better for millions of people in our county. Doesn't it just speak volumes that they're choosing to obsess over this instead?

Labour consigned fox hunting to the history books - and that's where it belongs. Help us keep it there:

Sign the petition

Thank you,
Maria

Maria Eagle
I'm trying to find the link to the petition - the one in the email goes to a page already filled out with my name, email and post code so don't want to share that ;(
Will post it later if I can find it
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RobertSnozers wrote:

No Robert, I think it's a sound idea. It's something we should (and in part already) do.

I would implore FTNers to get the news in and provide the links. If it means changing FTN around so we have a 'front page' that's actually links/articles/pictures form elsewhere, then so be it, but I'd love to see original contributions from FTNers, interested parties and those that they know.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:

I thought it was a good idea. I think though it would demand more expertise or time than some of us [ me included ] feel they have. We'd have to leave it to those who could make a fist of it but I can't see why you don't give it a go.
Expertise, schmeckpertise - just how much effort do you think that hacks put into their efforts? Consider Wintour and Watt. Once you've stopped vomiting, think about how shallow their efforts are and how little work they actually put in. Now compare and contrast blogs like Zelostreet and TheGreenBench and OneButtonMonkey. Who's the more talented? Who deserves wider circulation?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:

Sign the petition

Thank you,
Maria

Maria Eagle
I'm trying to find the link to the petition - the one in the email goes to a page already filled out with my name, email and post code so don't want to share that ;(
I don't think you need to worry about that AAW. It only comes up as filled in already because it recognises your IP address - we won't get the same, it'll be blank. Or that's been my understanding / experience anyway. Other techies here will know.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Sign the petition

Thank you,
Maria

Maria Eagle
I don't think you need to worry about that AAW. It only comes up as filled in already because it recognises your IP address - we won't get the same, it'll be blank. Or that's been my understanding / experience anyway. Other techies here will know.
Not sure - I tried it in chrome and FF and both came up with details filled in, even after I stripped the email details out of the address. Its a link to share on FB (which I hardly use) so my details are in there somewhere.... to clever by half!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Night PF
ErnstRemarx wrote:Expertise, schmeckpertise - just how much effort do you think that hacks put into their efforts? Consider Wintour and Watt. Once you've stopped vomiting, think about how shallow their efforts are and how little work they actually put in. Now compare and contrast blogs like Zelostreet and TheGreenBench and OneButtonMonkey. Who's the more talented? Who deserves wider circulation?
I work on the theory if Hodges can do it a trained monkey could do it ...... better. As a semi trained monkey I'm more than happy to help out in my own limited way. ;)
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: I'm trying to find the link to the petition - the one in the email goes to a page already filled out with my name, email and post code so don't want to share that ;(
Not sure - I tried it in chrome and FF and both came up with details filled in, even after I stripped the email details out of the address. Its a link to share on FB (which I hardly use) so my details are in there somewhere.... to clever by half!
(I don't mind sharing with "us" - but this is a public forum.. ;)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

@rebeccariots2
I've just PM'ed you re the FHB petition :)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The UK has 9 of the 10 poorest regions in Northern Europe, as well as the richest (London).
http://www.blog.rippedoffbritons.com/20 ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: The Guardian is dead. Time to consider the alternatives. My suggestion the other day that we try to start up a progressively-inclined news source here went down like a cup of cold sick, but what are the possibilities open to us who are fed up with rightwing hegemony in the serious press?
Expertise, schmeckpertise - just how much effort do you think that hacks put into their efforts? Consider Wintour and Watt. Once you've stopped vomiting, think about how shallow their efforts are and how little work they actually put in. Now compare and contrast blogs like Zelostreet and TheGreenBench and OneButtonMonkey. Who's the more talented? Who deserves wider circulation?
Are you both thinking of something like
RIPPED-OFF BRITONS ?
http://www.blog.rippedoffbritons.com/20 ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd do some research, but writing is not my best point.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: The Guardian is dead. Time to consider the alternatives. My suggestion the other day that we try to start up a progressively-inclined news source here went down like a cup of cold sick, but what are the possibilities open to us who are fed up with rightwing hegemony in the serious press?

Great comment - and I think the answer is that the people who write for these web blogs are clever, grounded and committed. They often have other jobs and have to be good to gain credibility

The likes of Glover, Watt and Wintour (The Three Contemptibles) take themselves far too seriously, love o be part of the establishment and aren't really any good. They do though speak to a narrative that is popular in the circles they move in

When my latest yearly objective is fulfilled (winning the Euromillions) I would be delighted to fund, through this site, an alternative to the MSM shite we see being spread about. Until that day (hopefully soon) I will just continue to put in the odd post!

:)

PS I do not count Hodges to be a journalist - just a twat......so have ignored him
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
I've had articles and short stories published and been paid for them, so I know a lot of the drill. It's not what to write about, although I leant very heavily toward flippant taking the wee, but my grammar is so bad it takes me forever when I know it's going to be on wider public display.
And I'm not good at retaining a lot of the finer political detail. In fact I'm bloody awful at it.

I have had a long lay off since I dipped my toes in the chilly water of a writing career, and now lack quiet and a peaceful place to work in. You'd need a very good copy editor if you wanted any contributions from me :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF. :)
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

I am always happy to contribute the odd historical article.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Maria Eagle MP @meaglemp · 21m 21 minutes ago

Sign my petition against Tories bringing back #hunting http://tinyurl.com/pueekor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reply 0 replies
Retweeted 3 retweets 3
Favorite 1 favorite 1
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

I think if you had a frontpage with links to the days main stories, like the i-papers, with the daily politics forum and various articles by members, it would be a good start, but it would need some sort of programming skills, I guess, of which I have none.

My grammar has improved dramatically over the last six months, so Im always happy to help there. Robert's is good as well.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Temulkar wrote:I think if you had a frontpage with links to the days main stories, like the i-papers, with the daily politics forum and various articles by members, it would be a good start, but it would need some sort of programming skills, I guess, of which I have none.

My grammar has improved dramatically over the last six months, so Im always happy to help there. Robert's is good as well.
I like this idea :)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

cf news source - curation is key - but then so is really pushing it out. We need a map of what's going from who, through what means to who. And then working out how to get it to everyone else. (or something like that). There must be existing sources and distribution channels we can tap into --> synergy through collaboration.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Using something like this http://paper.li/
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Temulkar wrote:I think if you had a frontpage with links to the days main stories, like the i-papers, with the daily politics forum and various articles by members, it would be a good start, but it would need some sort of programming skills, I guess, of which I have none.

Well, I'm not an expert, but I've done a bit of web programming and built a couple of basic websites, so might be able to help there. I also know my way around a copy of Photoshop if that is of any use.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Temulkar wrote:Using something like this http://paper.li/
Looks interesting - thanks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Slurp! Vote UKIP
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.fileymercury.co.uk/news/nati ... -1-6878283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Filey and Hunmanby Mercury wrote:Labour veteran Lord Prescott has accused Ed Miliband of showing a severe lack of ambition in a damning assessment of the party leader's "far too timid" strategy and underwhelming party conference performance.
Apologies but what the hell is Hunmanby?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Temulkar wrote:Using something like this http://paper.li/
Looks interesting - thanks.
Here's one that an Edu-blogger does.

http://paper.li/GiftedPhoenix/1395054667

You might have to refresh of you have the blank one open too. Or get rid of the ad!
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Sat 04 Oct, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sorry, I'm not really properly paying attention as I'm dipping in and out as I cook a curry. But - wouldn't that sort of of frontpage be fairly easy to maintain if there's a simple content management system that those of us with commitment - but not necessarily the advanced techie skills - could learn to use. Is it any more complex than maintaining / posting to / updating a web site?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Where did everyone go?
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

AngryAsWell wrote:Where did everyone go?
I'm still here, lurking while at work, although as the pub is nearly deserted on a Saturday night, I'm wondering where did the customers go. Recovery my arse.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mehdi Hasan retweeted
Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour · 4m4 minutes ago
“@charleshymas: #sundaytimes poll has Tories on 36%, Labour 34%, Ukip 13% and LibDems 7%. poll in fortnight will be best guide to conf.

What on earth is happening with the polls? truly can't be going up and down like this surely ?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Hobiejoe wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Where did everyone go?
I'm still here, lurking while at work, although as the pub is nearly deserted on a Saturday night, I'm wondering where did the customers go. Recovery my arse.
Our local dead as a dormouse as well, no point going in, never anyone there
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Evening.

"Vince Cable slams excessive Tory cuts to the working poor"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... rking-poor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@wightpaint doesn't post comments very often but when he is does,let's just say he isn't very impressed.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

ohsocynical wrote:
giselle97 wrote:Sitting in a Costa Coffee ruminating about whether to return to Spain in a week's time. It's bucketing very cold rain outside and my winter clothes are in suitcases at the back of my storage container, together with my trusty PC, mouse and keyboard - which is why I'm not posting much anywhere!

@angry - good video and photo of handsome Ed, thanks.

I was really struggling with some of the recent posts from the "newer members" then read the confessions! Thought I had landed in Hell versus FTN!

re: "No-one likes Ed" I am quite content to be "No-one" and, just for clarification, I do most certainly like Ed.☺
I'm being nosy. Is the money laundering saga closed? Do you have to sell your house again?
The money laundering wasn't pursued OhSo but the bloke then "lost" £48,000 when money was "stolen" from his on line bank account. Apparently, there was a betting site involved. By that time, I was really despairing of ever completing the sale but got assurances from all solicitors and it went through on 09/09 after I had spent a week in a house empty of everything exept a borrowed put you up!

I'm now on a property search and living in Premier Inn!
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:Mehdi Hasan retweeted
Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour · 4m4 minutes ago
“@charleshymas: #sundaytimes poll has Tories on 36%, Labour 34%, Ukip 13% and LibDems 7%. poll in fortnight will be best guide to conf.

What on earth is happening with the polls? truly can't be going up and down like this surely ?
We need to know when the polling was done and also what the weighting is. I'm guessing just a conference bounce and will go back to "normal" on Tuesday.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB · Oct 2
LAB 10% up in Heywood by-election poll mostly down to collapse of LD vote. See this from Sky

This is from much earlier this week, not recent
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.fileymercury.co.uk/news/nati ... -1-6878283
The Filey and Hunmanby Mercury wrote:Labour veteran Lord Prescott has accused Ed Miliband of showing a severe lack of ambition in a damning assessment of the party leader's "far too timid" strategy and underwhelming party conference performance.
Apologies but what the hell is Hunmanby?
Without looking it up, Hunmanby is a place, with a fee-paying girls school. One of my primary school classmates was going there - that was a very, very long time ago so may not be the case now.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

giselle97 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
giselle97 wrote:Sitting in a Costa Coffee ruminating about whether to return to Spain in a week's time. It's bucketing very cold rain outside and my winter clothes are in suitcases at the back of my storage container, together with my trusty PC, mouse and keyboard - which is why I'm not posting much anywhere!

@angry - good video and photo of handsome Ed, thanks.

I was really struggling with some of the recent posts from the "newer members" then read the confessions! Thought I had landed in Hell versus FTN!

re: "No-one likes Ed" I am quite content to be "No-one" and, just for clarification, I do most certainly like Ed.☺
I'm being nosy. Is the money laundering saga closed? Do you have to sell your house again?
The money laundering wasn't pursued OhSo but the bloke then "lost" £48,000 when money was "stolen" from his on line bank account. Apparently, there was a betting site involved. By that time, I was really despairing of ever completing the sale but got assurances from all solicitors and it went through on 09/09 after I had spent a week in a house empty of everything exept a borrowed put you up!

I'm now on a property search and living in Premier Inn!
I wish you every success...You deserve somewhere nice after all you've been through selling your house. Must have been very stressful.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Politico Daily ‏@Politico_Daily 5m5 minutes ago
Tonight's YouGov/S-Times poll:
Conservative 36 +1
Labour 34
Liberal Democrat 7 +1
UKIP 13 -1
Others 10 -1
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I see Uncle Vince has been out on his Sunday drive again:
Vince Cable slams excessive Conservative cuts on working poor
Lib Dem business secretary says Tories are planning punitive cuts that go 'far beyond' what is needed to cut deficit

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... rking-poor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;