Thursday 12th December 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 12th December 2019

Post by PorFavor »

Whoops.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Results tracker up - vermouth and cherries at the ready
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Willow904 wrote:
The bollox that is "Get Brexit done" seems to have been disseminated in the water with the same hypnotic effect of "Get my country back". Seriously depressing low levels of political debate and understanding.

Big frustration for me at the moment is that the seat prediction doesn't give a vote percentage. Is this a huge popular vote or precision targeting?
Ironically I think more people “on the continent” are interested in British politics in a meaningful way than they are in “Britain”
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]3Qd-rgNa8_Y[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Give it about fifteen minutes
We'll have a better understanding after that
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:I said a year ago that the opposition may come to regret not voting for Theresa May's deal. This is exactly the kind of disastrous outcome I'd feared. If she'd got through her WA, we'd be in a transition period now with at least a customs union as a backstop, not facing no deal, and May wouldn't have stepped down so Johnson may never have got a chance to take over.

The bollox that is "Get Brexit done" seems to have been disseminated in the water with the same hypnotic effect of "Get my country back". Seriously depressing low levels of political debate and understanding.

Big frustration for me at the moment is that the seat prediction doesn't give a vote percentage. Is this a huge popular vote or precision targeting?
Con 46 Lab 32 is the figure I've seen. Not good, obviously.

But lets be brutal about this - what this really shows is that proper change for this country isn't going to be possible until the boomers start dying off.

And maybe the "very well disguised blessing in disguise" (as Churchill said when learning of the 1945 result) is that the Tories will get their Brexit *and totally own it*.

And if the claimed Scottish result is anything like accurate, expect another independence vote in a few years (whatever Johnson now says) and "yes" will win this time.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

GetYou wrote:Thanks to everyone who went out campaigning. Your beliefs in the we rather than the me are no less valid due to this result
I love you.
You all are my family.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Caroline Flint -
We’re going to hear the Corbynistas blame it on Brexit and the Labour Uber Remainers blaming Corbyn. Both are to blame for what looks like a terrible night for Labour.
Everyone's to blame but me says Caroline who has spent a considerable amount of her time and effort looking after her own sorry backside by colluding with and legitamising the Tory party while slagging off her own party across the media.

Charming lady.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:---
(cJA edit)
Not long now. We'll know more soon.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

But lets be brutal about this - what this really shows is that proper change for this country isn't going to be possible until the boomers start dying off.

And maybe the "very well disguised blessing in disguise" (as Churchill said when learning of the 1945 result) is that the Tories will get their Brexit *and totally own it*.

And if the claimed Scottish result is anything like accurate, expect another independence vote in a few years (whatever Johnson now says) and "yes" will win this time.
This is something that has crossed my mind. Either way the choices are terrible at the moment.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Anyway, no way I am staying up late now. At least a relatively early night now and inspect the wreckage in the morning.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: And maybe the "very well disguised blessing in disguise" (as Churchill said when learning of the 1945 result) is that the Tories will get their Brexit *and totally own it*.
I was just thinking that. Johnson's lies about the "no border checks" will come back and bite even though he can ignore the DUP now.

We'll get the "We didn't expect x,y,z to happen" even though z,y,z was widely predicted 3 years ago.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok I feel my sangfroid levels returning to something resembling normal, or at least I no longer feel like the Universe just kicked me in the balls really hard.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

This is something that has crossed my mind. Either way the choices are terrible at the moment.
I've thought this too.
One other thing on my mind. Tories made a mistake with this GE now. They'll not get the results they're after. It's not going to work out.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Way aye Newcastle
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anyway, no way I am staying up late now. At least a relatively early night now and inspect the wreckage in the morning.
Mr. citizen has gone to sleep. I'll do the same soon.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Opposite of way aye to Blyth valley
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Where’s Adam? A maraschino cherry alone does not a manhattan make
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:I said a year ago that the opposition may come to regret not voting for Theresa May's deal. This is exactly the kind of disastrous outcome I'd feared. If she'd got through her WA, we'd be in a transition period now with at least a customs union as a backstop, not facing no deal, and May wouldn't have stepped down so Johnson may never have got a chance to take over.

Both big popular vote and (judging by early results) precision targeting - by the Brexit Party. I don't care what Farage says, it's always been win the vote in the EU election, hand it to the Tories in the GE, it's always been about getting the Tories a majority.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Every GE I get optimistic that the Brits will vote not to get shat on. And yet in my (sentient) lifetime, there’s only been three occasions where they haven’t. And then the Guardian laid into Brown and things have never been the same again.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

That the Tories have won in Blyth is frankly obscene. Thatcher destroyed the place and it ended up the heroin capital of England in the late Eighties/early Nineties. I went to college in Ashington nearby and there were syringes lying along the gutters on Blyth's high street.

How soon people forget.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Every GE I get optimistic that the Brits will vote not to get shat on. And yet in my (sentient) lifetime, there’s only been three occasions where they haven’t. And then the Guardian laid into Brown and things have never been the same again.
I always liked Gordon Brown.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

People often lash out at those closest to them not because they're to blame but because they can get a hold of them. It's not rational or logical but people aren't sometimes.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Where’s Adam? A maraschino cherry alone does not a manhattan make
*waves*

[youtube]SUyIISecYCU[/youtube]
I still believe in a town called Hope
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Just when you think things couldn’t get any worse
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

[youtube]BZzsi1y82Y8[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Foxes are sounding off
There's a lot of them in our urban village
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

What will people do if/when JC’s not there?

They’re going to need a new narrative if it’s not all Corbyn’s fault any more.

Goodnight all. x
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

At least now the self congratulatory notion that England is above populism is shown to be a load of absolute shite.

And the tragedy is those across the North of England who have been stupid enough to vote Tory are going to be those who suffer most. Last week Question Time in Hull was like watching an experiment in cognitave dissonance. They wanted Brexit 'done', yet lambasted the Tories for austerity and failing to invest in their lives or their city. It was painful to behold, the fact that they didn't seem to realise that as a community they were expressing two mutually exclusive positions. And that seems to have been writ large across the North where they've chosen to prioritise brexit over their own wellbeing and that of their communities.

Do I have any sympathy with them? What do you think? I spend a lot of time around the Halifax area and the amount of pig ignorant shit you hear from people is astonishing, in an area with almost zero immigration where you have to go actively looking for a face that isn't white the level of unashamed racism is vile. Going to the pub and not hearing some moron go on about 'P*kis' is a rarity. For people like that in Halifax it's all about not being Bradford which they regard to be a Muslim beachhead. I even had one particular genius explain to me that the Bradford Muslims were having money channelled to them from the EU through the Sharia banking system and that was why they had businesses and houses and flash cars. 'I voted brexit to get rid of the P*kis' is something I've heard countless times around Calderdale and they've merrily danced to Boris Johnsons tune.

Well, they can stew in their own idiot juices now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:What will people do if/when JC’s not there?

They’re going to need a new narrative if it’s not all Corbyn’s fault any more.

Goodnight all. x
Goodnight, gilsey.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And if that makes it sound like I'm claiming all Northern brexit voters are stupid racist fuckwits then all I can say is I was talking specifically about the Halifax/Bradford dynamic and I'm sure the rest have better excuses for their incredible fucking stupidity.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

OK so my last CBT therapist gave me wellness exercises for just this kind of situation.

Close your eyes and feel yourself as a whole, appreciate all your sensations.

Now focus on your feet, feel your feet, feel how your feet communicate with the rest of the universe.

Now your lower legs, focus on your calf muscles, release the tension.

Now your thighs, tense them and feel the power and energy at your disposal.

Then move to your lower abdomen completely ignoring your generative organs which are the most important part of your body besides the brain when it comes to human happiness.

Wellness is a crock of shit, sanitized demyistified Buddhism and it's the best the NHS has to offer if yer brane dont werk rite.

And after tonight I see nothing changing.

Thanks morons.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Your feet do indeed communicate with the rest of the universe and at faster than the speed of light.

Spooky action at a distance Einstein called it and tried to prove it wrong. He failed.

I think that entire wine glass of gin might have done the trick.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]z4ZipKdI1sY[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

A lament for the English left.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

They tell you when you see these therapists that the worst thing is avoidance, just sticking your head in the sand and saying fuck you to reality.

Well, fuck you reality.

I'm off to get stoned and listen to music, there's only so much rubber necking one can do at this Labour car crash.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

One thing's for sure, the Labour party is going to tear itself apart.

And it's going to be nasty.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Anyway, it's nearly Christmas. Cheer up.

[youtube]nud2TQNahaU[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sometimes getting wasted really is the answer.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This is like watching the dreams of millions of people being thrown into a fire.

Horrific and fascinating at the same time.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Fell asleep and woke up with sense of dread. Just checked in and it’s as bad as we feared. So it’s the beginning of the end for the UK in Europe, the NHS and the UK per se. Makes you realize how it can be harder to keep the stuff you fight for than it is to get it in the first place.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

There is something about the British psyche I really don’t understand.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

What do you think Christmas Sloth sock?

"I think Jeremy Corbyn was fucking useless."

I see, and when you say fucking useless you mean...

"I mean fucking useless, I mean fruitless, I mean outstandingly disastrous."

Ok so I can go ahead and put you down as 'not a fan' then?

"Do what the fuck you want, are you going to explain to them all why you wanted sloths on your Christmas socks?"

Because I like collecting algae on my fur?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It’s not even so much what Corbyn is or isn’t (though I have a view) it’s what he is perceived as, thanks to a combination of Tory lies, UK press, and of course certain parts of Labour itself.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Not looking like Ms Swinson’s going to make it to number 10.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Somehow.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

We of course do have the wonderful consolation that according to the quantum multiverse there are countless others of us who have just won an election and are mighty pleased with themselves.

Bastards.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

As of now, the current votes cast per seat won per top 4 parties is as follows:

Cons - 186 seats, 7,263,702 votes >> 39,052 votes per seat
Labour - 123 seats, 5,650,558 votes >> 45,939 votes per seat
SNP - 27 seats, 658,759 votes >> 24,398 votes per seat
LibDem - 6 seats, 1,745,074 votes >> 290,846 votes per seat

Current overall count:
Con - 186 seats, 7,263,702 votes
Anti-Con - 156 seats, 8,054,391 votes

This has got to stop. Time to get PR into British politics. It’s too late to save the UK as a global player, but it needs to be done now.

Edited to add: PTO
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Fri 13 Dec, 2019 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The very fact that there is such as thing as tactical voting and alliances where one party agrees to stand aside, demonstrates the heart of the UK’s democratic deficit. At the end of the day, many people’s votes really don’t get counted. It’s a lottery so why bother? Proper PR, where every vote counts, and every government is a coalition, is the closest thing we can get to democracy in a world owned by Google, Facebook, a small number of families descended from medieval monarchs, and Amazon.