Monday 6th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Re: Monday 6th October 2014

Post by Spacedone »

ErnstRemarx wrote:I notice that the Graun quickly and gleefully had an article on the Tory poll lead within nanoseconds of it appearing. I trust that tomorrow, or later in the week, when the polls revert to a 3-4-5-6 point Labour lead, they will as quickly and as earnestly pen a prominent article on it.

Bound to, being a left wing paper, eh?
I seem to remember that in response to questions about why they weren't writing articles about Labour taking 6-7 point leads the Guardian said that they only produced articles for their own (often hilariously bad) polls. I guess that answer was the dismissive cobblers I've come to expect from them towards us.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

The Indy takes a pop at the hypocrisy of The Sun regarding the Human Rights Act, saying they supported abolishing it a few days ago but are now using it to make a complaint to the Met.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 78190.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article also mentions Plebgate and look what just popped up on my Twitter feed:
Danny Shaw ‏@DannyShawBBC
High Court says misconduct investigation into 3 police officers arising from #plebgate affair was "lamentable" & rules findings "invalid".
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There was a BNP candidate at H&M at the GE, who easily outpolled UKIP.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Spacedone wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:I notice that the Graun quickly and gleefully had an article on the Tory poll lead within nanoseconds of it appearing. I trust that tomorrow, or later in the week, when the polls revert to a 3-4-5-6 point Labour lead, they will as quickly and as earnestly pen a prominent article on it.

I seem to remember that in response to questions about why they weren't writing articles about Labour taking 6-7 point leads the Guardian said that they only produced articles for their own (often hilariously bad) polls. I guess that answer was the dismissive cobblers I've come to expect from them towards us.
I think we can take it as read that should the polls favour Labour again tomorrow, then the Graun will blitz its Politics page with lots of articles talking up Clegg, The FibDems, and above all, their favourite, dishy David Cameron. Or perhaps there'll be a tokenistic article on the political importance of eating bacon sandwiches, and how failing to do so shows that Labour isn't to be trusted on the economy. Or something.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There was a BNP candidate at H&M at the GE, who easily outpolled UKIP.
Unsurprisingly, that was before the meeja decided that Nige was their bezzie mate and that no criticism of UKIP was to be countenanced.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Haven't been checking the papers much. Just from the front pages little on the LibDem Conference and very little on my Twitterfeed.
Definitely reckon Labour is ahead on social media. Loads and loads of local party news, canvassing etc. I would guess they're aiming at the young and that's eminently sensible.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Mon 06 Oct, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Well, I've just put a deposit down on my first house and signed a load of papers today. Got butterflies. Vendor has been dragging their feet and now want to complete by the 10th.

Nervous. :? :shock: :sick:
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Spacedone wrote:

I think we can take it as read that should the polls favour Labour again tomorrow, then the Graun will blitz its Politics page with lots of articles talking up Clegg, The FibDems, and above all, their favourite, dishy David Cameron. Or perhaps there'll be a tokenistic article on the political importance of eating bacon sandwiches, and how failing to do so shows that Labour isn't to be trusted on the economy. Or something.
It's not just them though. Mike Smithson was speculating (sh*t-stirring) earlier that another bad poll for Labour would mean trouble at mill for Ed Miliband. They're not reporting news but instead they're trying to create it (and I agree with Temukar re: their reference to Obama), trying to shape the political narrative to what they want it to be.

Say what you like about Labour, their policies and their perceived timidity (media perception again) but I've yet to see any evidence that Labour aren't the most united party going into the GE (I exclude UKIP from that because it's difficult for one man parties to be divided). A handful of old Blairites unhappy about being shoved into the wilderness does not make a divided party looking for the first opportunity to stab the leader in the back.

To be honest I think some of them are projecting their fears for their own parties.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:Haven't been checking the papers much. Just from the front pages little on the LibDem Conference and very little on my Twitterfeed.
Definitely reckon Labour is ahead on social media. Loads and loads of local party news, canvassing etc. I would guess they're aiming at the young and that's eminently sensible.
Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 4h4 hours ago

Day 3, it's all kicking off at Lib Dem Conference (@MSterling27) #LdConf
Embedded image permalink
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

refitman wrote:Well, I've just put a deposit down on my first house and signed a load of papers today. Got butterflies. Vendor has been dragging their feet and now want to complete by the 10th.

Good luck Dan.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hold your nerve and go with the flow. It's the only way to survive buying or selling a house. :)
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

refitman wrote:Well, I've just put a deposit down on my first house and signed a load of papers today. Got butterflies. Vendor has been dragging their feet and now want to complete by the 10th.

Good luck. I remember that feeling well. :sick:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:Hold your nerve and go with the flow. It's the only way to survive buying or selling a house. :)
I've been completely sanguine up to today. I think it was mainly transferring £10k out of my account, has made it very real.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 2h 2 hours ago
A week ago LAB had a 15% lead amongst 2010 LD switchers. Today that's 4%. LAB's firewall could be crumbling

:(
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

refitman wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Hold your nerve and go with the flow. It's the only way to survive buying or selling a house. :)
I've been completely sanguine up to today. I think it was mainly transferring £10k out of my account, has made it very real.
Congrats on new abode.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

refitman wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Haven't been checking the papers much. Just from the front pages little on the LibDem Conference and very little on my Twitterfeed.
Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 4h4 hours ago

Day 3, it's all kicking off at Lib Dem Conference (@MSterling27) #LdConf
Embedded image permalink
Is that where PF's gone? To make them not feel so bad?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

yahyah wrote:Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 2h 2 hours ago
A week ago LAB had a 15% lead amongst 2010 LD switchers. Today that's 4%. LAB's firewall could be crumbling

Has any party leader had to face the unrelenting and universal hate campaign that Miliband's constantly faced since 2010? I wonder how the polls would look if Cameron and Clegg - and Farage, for that matter - faced endless slagging vilification and the closet antisemitism heaped upon Miliband?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

Has any party leader had to face the unrelenting and universal hate campaign that Miliband's constantly faced since 2010? I wonder how the polls would look if Cameron and Clegg - and Farage, for that matter - faced endless slagging vilification and the closet antisemitism heaped upon Miliband?
Foot, Heath, Callaghan, Macdonald, Kennedy and Asquith were all destroyed by the press. All good politicians as well except sailor boy.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Temulkar wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

Foot, Heath, Callaghan, Macdonald, Kennedy and Asquith were all destroyed by the press. All good politicians as well except sailor boy.
Bit light on Tories. I wonder what that means?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

But it's exactly (well not anti-semitism but the rest of it) what they did to Brown. The British press - and of late BBC - HATE Labour and will do anything to convince us not to vote for them. Is it just Oxbridge becoming more frantic in their (subconscious?) fight to maintain the elitist status quo or is there something else?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:A blog well worth visiting.

http://jackofkent.com/2014/10/why-have- ... proposals/
Talking of which...

Toby Young @toadmeister · 4h 4 hours ago
As a Tory, I’m unconvinced by the Bill of Rights. It could easily be altered by a future Labour govt. Better to stick with the devil we know

Good to see some real intellectual thought processes going on there...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Strength and Honor ‏@Avitusparta 60m60 minutes ago
BBC News - NHS and social care 'at breaking point', medics and charities warn http://bbc.in/1s19cUU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a bit late now isn't it.
Just think when FTN was launched we were already warning what would happen.
I also remember a lot of doctors were all for Clinical Commissioning and there was a lot of complacency. I think it's come back to bit them on the ass and normally I'd say serves them right, but it doesn't help the hundreds of thousands of sick people that are going to be affected.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Left wing Guardian journo, Gaby Hinsliff, doing a bit of "they're all as bad as each other" on Twitter.

Saying no party explains how it will "save the NHS". Labour (believe them or not) have said they will exempt from TTIP and integrate health and social care.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

refitman wrote:
Yes - those big money transfers do make it very real and you take several gulps. But as Ohso so wisely says - go with the flow, it's all you can do. And there's a lovely excitement when you get to actually get the keys and move in.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Has any party leader had to face the unrelenting and universal hate campaign that Miliband's constantly faced since 2010? I wonder how the polls would look if Cameron and Clegg - and Farage, for that matter - faced endless slagging vilification and the closet antisemitism heaped upon Miliband?
Bit light on Tories. I wonder what that means?
And Kinnock...Not photogenic which is a real drawback. Even then I cared more about the inner person and he'd have been a compassionate PM.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29502817?u ... ign=buffer

I wonder what slant they'll put on this?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:A blog well worth visiting.

http://jackofkent.com/2014/10/why-have- ... proposals/
Talking of which...

Toby Young @toadmeister · 4h 4 hours ago
As a Tory, I’m unconvinced by the Bill of Rights. It could easily be altered by a future Labour govt. Better to stick with the devil we know

Good to see some real intellectual thought processes going on there...
Has he worked out the same might happen with his school?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29502817?u ... ign=buffer

Yes so do I. With some trepidation, I have to admit.

Having heard a Radio 4 'profile' of White Dee the other evening .... which I don't really have words to describe ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Landowners face losing licences even if not convicted of bird of prey poisonings
Gamekeepers warn new rules mean they could lose their jobs if there is a suspicion that raptors have been poisoned on the estates where they work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... nings.html
This is a Scottish parliament policy.

Of course, it might just make gamekeepers look out for and prevent crimes against birds of prey and other protected wildlife if they think their jobs might depend on it.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Yay! congrats and enjoy your new home :)

:dance: :dance: :rock: :dance: :dance:

:clap:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Honestly, I don't know where to begin with this, bemused, and mildly amused, Cons, wreckers of the NHS, yes, give you that, but the Kippers as potential savours?

http://markreckless.com/2014/10/06/stro ... -services/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Having heard a Radio 4 'profile' of White Dee the other evening .... which I don't really have words to describe ...
Regardless of the slant of the programme this will be all you see from any kind of commentary on it.

"Not doing enough to find better paid employment."

"Obviously you don't work hard enough."

"You need benefits but I see you have a flat TV (because anyone on benefits should expect to have 1995 technology), a Sky dish and worst of all... children."

"She's not very thin is she? Obviously got loads of money for pizza and booze."

A large number of people have been successfully manipulated into thinking this kind of garbage in response to any attempt to point out reality.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Honestly, I don't know where to begin with this, bemused, and mildly amused, Cons, wreckers of the NHS, yes, give you that, but the Kippers as potential savours?

http://markreckless.com/2014/10/06/stro ... -services/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He does like talking about himself in the third person doesn't he? :lol:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Congrats on the house Dan. It's a big, scary think to do, but as long as you're not overstretching yourself (always worth considering what'll happen if the mortgage rate goes up). Enjoy the place, may it bring you peace and happiness.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Channel 4 News ‏@Channel4News 10m10 minutes ago
Tracey Emin tells #c4news she's not an establishment person, but has become a Tory - video - http://bit.ly/1s1w8SE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why am I not surprised?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tracey Emin tells #c4news she's not an establishment person, but has become a Tory - video - http://bit.ly/1s1w8SE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why am I not surprised?
Become? I thought she always was.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Don't know if people here are familiar with this guy:

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com ... _mumbling/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very readable indeed, I think.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Why am I not surprised?
Let's see. No discernible talent - check; gobshite - check; egomaniac - check; supreme self-publicist - check.

She could be the next Louise Mensch.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Transmission break :"Potter's Wheel"
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 06 Oct, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Spacedone wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Regardless of the slant of the programme this will be all you see from any kind of commentary on it.

"Not doing enough to find better paid employment."

"Obviously you don't work hard enough."

"You need benefits but I see you have a flat TV (because anyone on benefits should expect to have 1995 technology), a Sky dish and worst of all... children."

"She's not very thin is she? Obviously got loads of money for pizza and booze."

A large number of people have been successfully manipulated into thinking this kind of garbage in response to any attempt to point out reality.

The BBC were tweeting about "handouts" in promoting the programme;just to aid the haters.

#Congratulations to refitman#
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 06 Oct, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Is this the face of the Tories’ next UKIP defector?
This one ticks all the boxes just like the untalented artist ;)

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/10/i ... k-spencer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@AngryAsWell:

Such a well worn overused phrase, but honestly, rats deserting a sinking ship is spot on.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Is this the face of the Tories’ next UKIP defector?
This one ticks all the boxes just like the untalented artist ;)

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/10/i ... k-spencer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder what the odds are over at PaddyPower?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Not a good start to Panorama show.

The government don't spend £28bn a year topping up low wages. That's presumably the cost of all tax credits- they go quite far up the income scales, and for lots they're a tax cut. They could easily be increased.

Nice bit of "they're all the same" on the politicians. Two of those have cut the tax credits.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

So we have two polls, one showing a substantial Labour lead, one showing a small Tory lead.

Where does Smithson get his figures from to conclude LD switchers have flipped?

How likely is it that Cameron's conference has caused left wing lib Dems (many to the left of New a Labour) to suddenly start voting Tory?

Not very.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Actually programme is OK.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Smithson has posted his link.

It's from the detail in Ashcroft.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:So we have two polls, one showing a substantial Labour lead, one showing a small Tory lead.

Where does Smithson get his figures from to conclude LD switchers have flipped?

How likely is it that Cameron's conference has caused left wing lib Dems (many to the left of New a Labour) to suddenly start voting Tory?

Not very.
Ashcroft's poll shows the Greens up by 3%. Some of that is from Labour; most from the liberals.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Gee, not £28bn a year again, as if all on low paid workers.