Tuesday 28th January 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 28th January 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 28th January 2020

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-watchdog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/eu-exit-t ... n/?slide=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000f1xd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

I read this in the printed edition yesterday. It won't come as any surprise to anyone who thinks that Farage was and always will be an unprincipled charlatan but Nathan Gill doesn't come out of it well either.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... final-week" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the Brexit party MEP Nathan Gill, the job has become a way of life. “The travel is nice and you get to meet lots and lots of people and have experiences you would never normally have. So of course I will miss that.”

The Wales MEP, who ran the family care home business before going into politics, was inspired to join Ukip after seeing Nigel Farage on Question Time in 2004. A former Conservative party member, Gill had never “really thought there was a big issue with the EU” but wanted to keep the pound.

Farage was not like any other politician he had seen. “I realised at the very beginning that he got the zeitgeist of the British people.” After some internet research he signed up to the scrappy Eurosceptic party, enlisting friends and family. Although he failed to win a seat as councillor, he was elected in 2014 when Ukip stormed to the top of the polls, unleashing a political earthquake under David Cameron’s Conservatives.

Even then, Gill did not expect Britain would vote to leave less than two years later. “I’ve had a front-row seat to history and that is something I feel very privileged about.”

He hadn’t bargained on doing the job of an MEP, having been assured by Ukip, he tells the Guardian, that he could work from Wales, avoiding having to travel to Brussels and Strasbourg. That ploy collapsed when the party was lambasted for failing to attend meetings and votes.

I got elected kind of on false pretences by the party. Because they said: ‘We’ve changed our mind; we need you to attend your committees, we need you to make sure you’re voting as much as possible, because we’ve got to change the image that the party has in the eyes of the public.’” For Gill, who has five children, one newborn at that time, it came as “a little bit of a shock”.
:wall:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Ed Davey set to easily win the LibDem leadership election, sez YouGov.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41487126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Steven Swinford

@Steven_Swinford

Good morfternoon.

BREAKING:

Boris Johnson has given green light to allow Huawei to build non-core parts of 5G network

* Huawei designated high-risk vendor

* It faces a market share cap of 35%

* UK will work with US to encourage alternative providers

Brace for backlash form US...
12:01 PM - Jan 28, 2020

(Politics Live, Guardian)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And a backlash from his own side, possibly?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Nicholas Parsons, host of Just a Minute, dies aged 96

Presenter of BBC Radio 4 radio comedy and TV panel show dies after short illness (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... es-aged-96
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... om-the-mac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... thresholds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Very disappointing.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-equality" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I hope she gets on the ballot.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I found this article convincing, actually. If I was still a member I'd definitely be considering voting for her.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Lisa Nandy has also fallen foul of the feminists on mumsnet with her insistence that "transwomen are women". She appears completely captured by the big money trans lobby and woefully deaf to the perfectly reasonable concerns of ordinary women.

Not that any of the Labour leadership hopefuls are looking very positive for women's rights at the moment. While Labour retains it's policy for gender self-ID without any acknowledgement of how this impacts on women's struggle to free themselves from the limitations placed on them by artificial gender stereotypes, they are letting women down, however unknowingly, and that's a real shame.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

If Huawei is limited to 35%, who's doing the other 65%? (I know nothing about matters computery, as I expect you all realise by now.)

And I agree with the sentiments expressed by Tracy Brabin.

On a more general note, "Brexit" (agree with it or not) was an exercise in putting the cart before the horse. The vote was rather previous.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Four local council byelections last week:

Brent - unusually there were three contests here, and one of them a double vacancy to boot. The first saw a LibDem gain from Labour which was likely assisted by the Labour hopeful being disowned by the party during the campaign - moreover, this is a ward where the LibDems won all three seats in 2002 and 2006 before Labour took a seat in 2010 and then had clean sweeps of their own in 2014 and 2018; in the most recent election the LibDems dropped into third behind the Tories, but a fourfold increase to nearly 40% won it for them now. "Labour" dropped around 25 points from two years ago, whilst the Tories also dropped slightly to 20% and reverted to third - Greens also down a bit to 9%. The double vacancy saw two Labour holds with a share in the mid 40s, though they were run close by the Tories who had a swing of around 17% since 2018 in a ward where they won all three seats in 2002 and 2006 before Labour took over in 2010. Greens took 8% - a similar share to 2014 after sitting it out two years ago, whilst the LibDems halved top just 4%. The final seat saw a safer Labour hold with around 55% of the vote, though this was a double figure drop on 2018 and another significant swing to the Tories who doubled their vote to 30%. Taking a longer view, however, they are effectively replacing the LibDems as the main opposition here - LibDems won all three seats in 2002 and 2006, and whilst Labour won thereafter they stayed highly competitive up to and including the 2014 elections, but there was no recovery now as their vote flatlined. Greens down a couple of points to 4%.

Dumfries and Galloway - Tory hold in a division that split 2C/1Nat/1Ind in the most recent 2017 election after boundary changes. Overall there was a significant vote for Independents three years ago, but their complete absence now (their transfers were notably Tory-friendly then, effectively getting them the second seat) greatly boosted the Tories who won on the first count with over 60% of the vote, an increase of over 20 points. SNP up slightly to 25%, but they have clearly retreated here (as in similar Scottish areas) in recent years. Greens went up by 4 points to 6%, just squeezing past Labour who were little changed.

Just one Suffolk district/county "double header" to conclude the month and our stay in the EU.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

You know that world Ridley Scott dreamed up to set Blade Runner in where it's always raining?

I appear to be living in that future world.

Bit of a gutter for Back to the Future fans who were hoping for flying cars.

Incidentally, in Philip K Dick's original novel the climate was extremely arid and dry which is equally prophetic of global warming where wet places have become wetter and dry places drier.

Let's hope the Hunger Games prove less prescient....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]lLeZof1wGps[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... s-benefits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"The inquest heard it was standard DWP procedure to stop the benefits of a claimant marked on the system as vulnerable after two failed safeguarding visits."

Seems perfectly reasonable to me to fail to safeguard twice and then make sure.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There is nothing arse about face about any of this.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The fact that people might die if they haven't the means to obtain food is extremely complex.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And absolutely no robust evidential link.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The oft repeated line is the necessity to protect the public purse.This doubly fails ie.the cost of supposed savings from default denial is swamped by the cost of not and a Country with even a pretence of residual civilised behaviour would drop the "purse"'
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Banks asked to explain 40% overdraft rates
Spoiler alert: they don't (explain).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

They don't,explain.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/boos ... -programme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Finding it far harder to sort out my Dad's stuff than my better half's.As per previous" cardboard in shoe launderer" at 8,as the" man of the house"with three sisters,sent to "dissuade"attempts agents of the State to institutionalize/separate.He was far poorer than my mum,hated being anywhere near a charity shop and always bought the best togs.Deemed by Sky and people here as part of the hated Brextity type ,far from the stereotypical description.A Mail reader to further condemn in the minds of the I can be as prejudiced as I imagine all the other lot are cos I have letters after my name and they haven't attained a high educational attainment-which says fuck all about degree of knowledge as well as all the other misassumed characteristics.He had no problem with paying tax,had a pretence of meanness but gave his car away to meals on wheels rec ,he just questioned if it would be best used in the generality,in effect the same as we do but differently framed,borne out of life long anti authority
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Thank you for saving me from myself.

(By the way, you'd have got Leslie Peebles - just in case you're wondering.)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

He did n't revel in his previous poverty and how hard it was,I think there is an inverse relationship whereby those that actually had it worse don't glorify it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not for the first time,I am somewhat (more)confused ,who the heck is Leslie Peebles and where did they not come from
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sorry - don't know where the Leslie came from. It's Ann Peebles. Songs, rain. You provided Buddy Holly.

Oh, go on then. You've twisted my arm . . .

[youtube]A09GZeORYlo[/youtube]
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

[youtube]xfmZRiePkEM[/youtube]
TinyClanger2 - mixing pure pop for sexual stereotypes like no 'ckers business.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Anyone else getting ready for Eurovision yet?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Me boas are airing.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

[youtube]91_5OOmK1TQ[/youtube]
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am thinking a remix (with video) a la Hindle A and Mr Le Sky.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

And - has anyone ever bitten a 50 pence piece in half?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I'd guess that Johnson and his pals think it was fantastic value for money, as campaign propaganda for the Conservative Party.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

In memoria I farted in a supermarket,walked away and let my mum take the blame.Some traditions are worth keeping
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A Eurovision tradition was my naked performance and making rude words up /translations.Now abandoned ,cos it ain,t the same without my sole observer.Although,a forgotten ordered Iceland delivery person may have espied a fleeting exit on one occasion.You would need an electron microscope to see any irrelevances
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sky and I disagree fundamentally on certain things,on occasion robustly .We also agree on certain things.AS in general and in specific this is not only healthy but essential.It is when all agree with no counter that will signal the end.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Have rendered my tooth in half on an attempt,which isn,'t quite the same thing
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well that was a welcome turn around.(football)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:If Huawei is limited to 35%, who's doing the other 65%? (I know nothing about matters computery, as I expect you all realise by now.)
Nokia and Ericsson. I know only because I skimmed through this.
https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/blog-post/the-f ... -in-the-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some seem to think that the US will be so cheesed off with this they won't give us a trade deal, which would be good news imo.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... r-policies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I'm voting for sister Angela.,us former home helps stick together.My mum used to be one as well
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

quick...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PTO