FlyTheNest
http://flythenest.org/

Friday 14th February 2020
http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2284
Page 1 of 2

Author:  refitman [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 6:59 am ]
Post subject:  Friday 14th February 2020

Morning all.

Author:  RogerOThornhill [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 10:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Morning all.

You can guess who he's talking about...

Quote:
Steve Peers

Verified account

@StevePeers
Follow Follow @StevePeers
MoreSteve Peers Retweeted UK Prime Minister
A genuinely terrible appointment. I worked with her on a inquiry to secure EU citizens' rights, and she then voted against the results of the inquiry. Untrustworthy and untalented.


Only time will tell but there will be something she says or does that makes people go "WTF?"...

Author:  Willow904 [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 10:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCRealityCh ... 8137731073

Quote:
BBC Reality Check
@BBCRealityCheck
Chief Secretary to the Treasury Rishi Sunak said on Sky News: "I think it’s worth pointing out, the EU is pretty much the only place in the world that doesn’t use free ports”. He's wrong - the EU has more than 80 free ports (or free zones).

Author:  adam [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 10:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Willow904 wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCRealityCheck/status/1226924738137731073

Quote:
BBC Reality Check
@BBCRealityCheck
Chief Secretary to the Treasury Rishi Sunak said on Sky News: "I think it’s worth pointing out, the EU is pretty much the only place in the world that doesn’t use free ports”. He's wrong - the EU has more than 80 free ports (or free zones).



And over time they have included Liverpool, Southampton, Tilbury, Prestwick and Sheerness, although the coalition government decided not to keep them in 2012.

Author:  Willow904 [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 10:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCRealityCheck/status/1226924738137731073

Quote:
BBC Reality Check
@BBCRealityCheck
Chief Secretary to the Treasury Rishi Sunak said on Sky News: "I think it’s worth pointing out, the EU is pretty much the only place in the world that doesn’t use free ports”. He's wrong - the EU has more than 80 free ports (or free zones).



And over time they have included Liverpool, Southampton, Tilbury, Prestwick and Sheerness, although the coalition government decided not to keep them in 2012.


One of the main (legit) benefits of free ports has been superseded to a degree by the development of the single market. It's a backward step, in other words, relying on an old-fashioned solution to importing parts from different countries for assembly without incurring multiple import costs. Not an opportunity but a sticking plaster for a self-inflicted wound.

I've seen a suggestion that Sunak is implying EU free ports aren't really free ports and that there are more free free ports out there. Which may be true, but ignores the fact that they have fallen out of use and favour in the EU because being part of a gigantic single market is so much better and so much more economically advantageous that free ports are no longer worth the bureaucracy and hassle they generate in comparison.

Author:  Willow904 [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 10:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Incidentally I don't think Sunak is trying to imply anything. I think he's outright lying because he needs positive reasons to leave the EU but they don't really exist so he's pretending something being used to try to mitigate the damage of leaving the EU is a reason to leave, knowing full well few journalists will pick him up on the fact that the problems free ports resolve will mostly be created by Brexit in the first place.

Author:  adam [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 11:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Willow904 wrote:
Incidentally I don't think Sunak is trying to imply anything. I think he's outright lying because he needs positive reasons to leave the EU but they don't really exist so he's pretending something being used to try to mitigate the damage of leaving the EU is a reason to leave, knowing full well few journalists will pick him up on the fact that the problems free ports resolve will mostly be created by Brexit in the first place.


It's also possible, for him and the rest of them, that 'lying' implies a careful intentional deceit and in fact they are all, in a strictly technical sense, bullshitters. It's not that they are going out of their way to lie, they simply don't care about the truth and would rather say whatever suits them in the moment.

Harry Frankfurt - On Bullshit (pdf file)

Author:  AnatolyKasparov [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 11:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

I think you're right, its that Trumpian thing of the truth being whatever you say it is.

Author:  adam [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 12:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Good BTL comment in the guardian with a link out to an FT article by the very good Simon Kuper (who wrote the great 'Football against the Enemy' many moons ago) - quoted in part...

Quote:
For years I've been pointing out that, contrary to the assertions of many Guardian columnists, the Brexit vote was not the vote of the economically left-behind ones in places like Sunderland. Wealthy South-West Norfolk had a higher percentage for Leave than Stoke; 78 percent Remain-voting Hackney has deprivation many times more severe than Leave-voting rural Wiltshire and Dorset. Yet despite these facts being readily to anyone genuinely interested in what the Brexit vote was about, John Harris persisted in doing his mournful walkabouts around depressed council estates in places like Walsall rather than in the affluent suburbs of Bournemouth.

Author:  citizenJA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 12:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Good afternoon, everyone.

Author:  frog222 [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 1:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

WATO a few minutes ago -- the Cabinet reciting shit in chorus for the Press --

sounds like North bloody Korea !

Author:  frog222 [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 1:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

BOJO -- fubar/snafu ! Paul Waugh on Wato right now --

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... a2974c857c

CRACE

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ge-the-saj

Author:  RogerOThornhill [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 1:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Interesting.

Quote:
Jewish Labour Movement
‏@JewishLabour
Follow Follow @JewishLabour
More
After balloting our members, the Jewish Labour Movement has nominated @lisanandy for Leader of the Labour Party!


Apparently Nandy is Chair of the Labour Friends of Palestine & the Middle East - something I never knew existed until today.

But they don't appear to be very active given this:

https://www.lfpme.org/activity

Maybe a "Vote for Nandy and she won't rock the boat given recent evidence"?

Author:  AnatolyKasparov [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 2:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

RLB got just 1% in that vote apparently, though of course many left wing Jews maintain a firm distance from JLM.

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 3:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/late ... ruary-2020

Author:  PorFavor [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 3:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

HindleA wrote:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/latest-updates-on-ministerial-appointments-13-february-2020


Thanks. The list has the added benefit of helping me solve one of yesterday's anagrams.

Author:  PorFavor [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 3:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Good morfternoon.

Author:  citizenJA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 3:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

PorFavor wrote:
Good morfternoon.

Thank goodness you're here.

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 3:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

No doubt AK will provide more detail but Ruth George ex MP returns at local level(Whaley Bridge)

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 3:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

@ICja I had to *cheat* to get one of them.

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 4:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/l ... cial-care/

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/l ... nt-living/

Author:  PorFavor [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 4:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

HindleA wrote:
@ICja I had to *cheat* to get one of them.


Education?

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 4:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Primary -Boddam,Ayios Nikolaos,Buchanhaven ;Secondary-Peterhead;Glasgow,Open University Honours Degree in Bolloxology and Deletion.

You did ask.

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 4:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Boddam "shares"they hung the monkey"thing.

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 4:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

And others.

Author:  AnatolyKasparov [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 4:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

HindleA wrote:
No doubt AK will provide more detail but Ruth George ex MP returns at local level(Whaley Bridge)


And by a stonking margin, too. Anecdotally quite a few locals (going beyond confirmed Labour people) are sorry she narrowly lost in December.

Author:  citizenJA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 4:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

HindleA wrote:
@ICja I had to *cheat* to get one of them.

I couldn't figure it out but knew it was a humdinger

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 4:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... r-insiders

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 5:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/co ... al-changes

Author:  AnatolyKasparov [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 5:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

HindleA wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2020/feb/13/treasury-will-bide-its-time-over-johnsons-radical-changes


I bet they will.......

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 6:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... inal-round

Author:  AnatolyKasparov [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 7:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

And as far as developments in the US are concerned, I have just one thing to say.......

NEVER BLOOMBERG.

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 7:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... by-boomers

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 7:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

https://www.mikebloomberg.com/

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 7:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -programme

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 9:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... g.amp.html

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 9:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... rn-england

Author:  AnatolyKasparov [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 9:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Looking like Emily Thornberry has fallen just short of getting onto the Labour leadership ballot.

Author:  PaulfromYorkshire [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 9:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

My horrible entry surprisingly fails to make ballot (5,10).

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 9:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

641 CLP noms

KS 374
RLB 164
LN 72
ET 31

(640)
AR 365
DB 82
RB 77
IM 60
RA-K 56

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 9:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Sheesh,parents should take more care in naming their offspring regarding possible anagramatical consequences

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 10:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

(Ha,inlaid nerd)

Author:  adam [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 10:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Cathedral Fem.

I liked this...

Attachment:
Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 22.16.46.png
Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 22.16.46.png [ 34.71 KiB | Viewed 185 times ]

Author:  citizenJA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 10:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

:lol:

Author:  citizenJA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 10:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 11:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Top aurally

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 11:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

VP or afro

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 11:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

Jenica zit

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 11:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

TPO

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 14 Feb, 2020 11:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 14th February 2020

OTP

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/