Friday 28th February 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Friday 28th February 2020

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Mistakenly had mania whiz on Question Time (6,6).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 28th February 2020

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... us-say-gps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'They have no idea': government failing on coronavirus, say GPs
Doctors say NHS 111 giving wrong advice and not enough patients being tested for virus
Not a great time to have a bunch of clowns in charge. US similarly compromised by ideological cuts to public health by cavalier far right numpties who want the trappings, but not the responsibilities, of power.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51671363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leasehold property buyers 'misled by developers'
What is strikingly absent from this article is any questions about the role of the solicitors whose job it is to advise buyers when helping them purchase a new build house. At first I couldn't understand how people didn't know what they were signing up to - until I discovered that developers were offering to pay buyers solicitors fees if they use a solicitor supplied by them. Which explains how people were deceived. What I don't understand is why complaints about poor advice from solicitors hasn't led to compensation and investigations by the SRA leading to solicitors being struck off for clear conflicts of interest.

Anyway, a type of commonhold was introduced into UK law in 2002, to address the very issues associated with leasehold that are now affecting more and more people but it's clear developers aren't going to give up the leasehold racket voluntarily. Indeed, the expansion of leasehold to houses, which would normally be sold with the freehold and have none of the issues that require lease or commonhold in the way flats do, is jawdroppingly exploitative. I'm not expecting our spiv government to do anything to stop this sharp practice any time soon, unfortunately, but it's good these stories are out there to warn off those who may otherwise have been caught unawares.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

How do people get mortgages if they're unable to get insurance for their property in the event of floods?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

This is a worrying development. Did someone mention McCarthy?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Prof Tanja Bueltmann
‏@cliodiaspora
Follow Follow @cliodiaspora
More
So Turning Point UK has set up a website where ppl can anonymously submit evidence of what they call “overt political bias” by “leftist lecturers” — apparently UK unis are “overrun” by them. So, in other words, they are creating lists of academics and gathering data about people.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Spotted in amongst replies on that twitter feed - is it the case that Johnson is hiding out in his country estates because if he doesn't finish a book sometime very very soon he has to repay a six figure advance?
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... us-say-gps
'They have no idea': government failing on coronavirus, say GPs
Doctors say NHS 111 giving wrong advice and not enough patients being tested for virus
Not a great time to have a bunch of clowns in charge. US similarly compromised by ideological cuts to public health by cavalier far right numpties who want the trappings, but not the responsibilities, of power.
Excellently put.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Not sure whether we've had this before but it's pretty interesting...

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well, who'd have thunk it?

Turns out that gazillions of extra customs forms will need loads more people filling them in!

UK races to find extra 50,000 staff for post-Brexit paperwork

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -says-gove
A race to hire 50,000 people in the next six months to process Brexit paperwork is under way after the government confirmed they would be needed for border operations.

But experts have warned it will be a challenge to train enough people in time to be competent in the complexity of customs declarations and the second layer of red tape involving entry and exit declaration forms that are mandatory for trading with the EU.

The Road Haulage Association has warned that the number of declaration forms for tariffs alone will rocket from the current 50m a year to 200-250m a year.
"What do we want?"
"Red tape!"
"When do we want it?"
"Pretty bloody quickly!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well, who'd have thunk it?

Turns out that gazillions of extra customs forms will need loads more people filling them in!

UK races to find extra 50,000 staff for post-Brexit paperwork

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -says-gove
A race to hire 50,000 people in the next six months to process Brexit paperwork is under way after the government confirmed they would be needed for border operations.

But experts have warned it will be a challenge to train enough people in time to be competent in the complexity of customs declarations and the second layer of red tape involving entry and exit declaration forms that are mandatory for trading with the EU.

The Road Haulage Association has warned that the number of declaration forms for tariffs alone will rocket from the current 50m a year to 200-250m a year.
"What do we want?"
"Red tape!"
"When do we want it?"
"Pretty bloody quickly!"
Will these 500 people be from the economically inactive sector?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

So...50,000 new staff.

Say £20k each.

Add NI/Pension of 30%

Additional cost to business just for this....£1.3bn.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Not sure whether we've had this before but it's pretty interesting...

B-b-BuT.......i ThOuGhT bRoWn SoLd AlL oUr GoLd????
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Who's getting their gold out of the UK? Why?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Storm damage leaves councils facing big cuts to pay for repairs

Public services to suffer after tens of millions of pounds of damage to roads and bridges (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... or-repairs
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Of course, the government could offer to help out there. But will they?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Who's getting their gold out of the UK? Why?
If you get down to the end of that thread it would seem that the gold didn't actually physically move...
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Holy crap.

Not only did I pass my WCA, they've moved me to the Support Group so no messing about with jobcentre appointments 'preparing for work' and all that nonsense. Now maybe I'll calm the fuck down. I hope so because I'm literally shaking after getting off the phone. I do believe a little dance is called for then a trip to Tesco to splurge on their most expensive bottle of wine. I've been afraid to spend money for months. I can't explain what it feels like to have this weight lifted off my shoulders (and brain). Now I can actually think about other things for the first time in what feels like aeons. And hopefully contribute something other than angst crazed nonsense. I'm sorry you've had to put up with it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Sky'sGoneOut

Here you go. Or isn't this what you had in mind?

[youtube]Wq7ASMbOpmo[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Holy crap.

Not only did I pass my WCA, they've moved me to the Support Group so no messing about with jobcentre appointments 'preparing for work' and all that nonsense. Now maybe I'll calm the fuck down. I hope so because I'm literally shaking after getting off the phone. I do believe a little dance is called for then a trip to Tesco to splurge on their most expensive bottle of wine. I've been afraid to spend money for months. I can't explain what it feels like to have this weight lifted off my shoulders (and brain). Now I can actually think about other things for the first time in what feels like aeons. And hopefully contribute something other than angst crazed nonsense. I'm sorry you've had to put up with it.
Don't worry, your contributions are always interesting. Even if sometimes in the Chinese sense of that word......
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Don't worry, your contributions are always interesting. Even if sometimes in the Chinese sense of that word......
Thanks AK that genuinely made me laugh out loud. :D
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

More this kind of thing PF.

[youtube]FQUCKLzQemI[/youtube]
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Holy crap.

Very happy to hear this update Sky.

Would 3 bottles at 1/3 the price not be better?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Credit where credit is due and stopped clock etc but it was good to see this.

spiked
‏@spikedonline
Follow Follow @spikedonline
More
Right-wing student group Turning Point UK is encouraging students to rat on their left-wing professors who they say are ‘indoctrinating’ students. One example cited is of a professor offering a Marxist perspective on health policy. This is mini McCarthyism
I'm left wondering whether, as there are a fair number of Spiked contributors that are actually employed in universities, that they know the "Unis are full of lefties" is utter bollocks.

Or that maybe someone might start up a similar one t'other way round...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh my.

Really? I mean, really?
CNN International

Verified account

@cnni
5h5 hours ago
More
38% of Americans wouldn't buy Corona beer "under any circumstances" because of the coronavirus, according to a recent survey.

Just to be abundantly clear: There is no link between the virus and the beer.
:D
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I mean, when you think you might have possibly underestimated the potential of humans for gullibility - they do something to prove you wrong :oops:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I mean, when you think you might have possibly underestimated the potential of humans for gullibility - they do something to prove you wrong :oops:
It's one of my daughter's fall-back home-consumption beers when she visits me. I warned her that this would happen. It was only a matter of time.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Who's getting their gold out of the UK? Why?
If you get down to the end of that thread it would seem that the gold didn't actually physically move...
I got that. It's a private entity moving gold off their UK balance sheets. Why? Why now?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Sky'sGoneOut
:rock:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Who else thinks of the Corona soft drinks that were around when we were kids?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Cigar producers must also be getting twitchy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:---
I can't explain what it feels like to have this weight lifted off my shoulders (and brain). Now I can actually think about other things for the first time in what feels like aeons.
---
(cJA edit)
I know a bit about what you're describing above. Government shouldn't do this to people. It's not helpful, safe or justifiable.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Cigar producers must also be getting twitchy.
:lol:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Who else thinks of the Corona soft drinks that were around when we were kids?
Me!

Mondays - and if you were lucky he'd come after I came home from school in which case I'd get to choose what to have.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Where's HindleA?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Where's HindleA?
trying to score some lasagna
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

More rain predicted the next few days
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Labour and the Culture Wars of Modern Politics
Labour therefore needs to believe in and champion a vision of the general public as decent, progressive, and reform‐minded. It helps that there is plenty of evidence to back up such a reading, but the point about myths is that they represent powerful tools for understanding, and hence, defining the social world. It is a real problem, therefore, that we so often find the left perpetuating derogatory, judgmental myths about small town and suburban Britain. Arguments about ‘left behind’ Britons or the ‘white working class’ perpetuate unhelpful myths which simultaneously flatten the complexity of lives lived and give succour to voices from the radical right.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... re-workers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highlights some of the issues,I keep banging on about.

There is a school of thought that suggests what the sector needs to solve its very real problems is more regulation, more training and qualifications for workers and more money.

"Years ago, I realised that using a traditional care agency, with its regulation and training, would not enable me to thrive. The care workers seemed to lose sight of me as a person in the quest to undertake the tasks they saw as their primary role. I heard about a different way to get the help I need and since then have used a direct payment to employ my own assistants; a decision I have never regretted."
"resonate with the values, beliefs and understanding of people who use services – in other words, the experts."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

This is not removed by (in various ways less likely to) local authority employees)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Who else thinks of the Corona soft drinks that were around when we were kids?
Were they the ones who would drive around in a truck and give you a refund for bottles?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.thinklocalactpersonal.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
Were they the ones who would drive around in a truck and give you a refund for bottles?
Yes.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My first "venture" was picking up (glass)coca cola bottles from the beaches in Cyprus returning them for a piastre each(if memory serves)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

You've got money on the brain . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I saw that!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

At mine ,in between two homes for the foreseeable ,the idea was to bounce about a bit,unfortunately the weather" interfered "
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Predictive text
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PTO.