Wednesday 8th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Wednesday 8th October 2014

Post by Spacedone »

Last nights Sun/YouGov poll which for some strange reason they delayed releasing compared to the previous few...

Labour lead at 2 points.

LAB 34% (+1)
CON 32% (-3)
UKIP 15% (+2)
LD 8% (-)
GRN 5% (+1)

Interestingly the poll that gave the Tories a 35% to Labour 33% had an unweighted sample where the Tories had 20+ more people responding than Labour and YouGov's weighted sample barely altered those figures (+ 4 people). Contrast that to this poll in which an extra 300 were poll and Labour have 100 more people in the unweighted sample which YouGov then reduces to 30 people in their weighted sample.

Something odd going on there.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 8th October 2014

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -says.html

Laughable, apparently if you get a 2 million pound house you pay some tax on it.

Presumably not the stupid figures some Tory SPAD claims. I hope one day to face such a problem (but I ain't counting on it).
Release the Guardvarks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning!

If the "former Labour cabinet minister" attacking Miliband won't give their name, they're not really worth listening to are they?

I mean Shirley Williams would fit that description!

* edited to say actually I slightly misquoted them and Williams wouldn't fit the bill - but my point remains ;-)
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Morning all. We can all rest easy in our beds. Our Glorious Leader is chairing a meeting of COBRA today
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Am I being unfair to Clegg ?

He's voted for his government's policies that have caused so many people anxiety and depression, now we get close to an election he's pushing for more money/targets for mental health ?
Bah humbug.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29529877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

danesclose wrote:Morning all. We can all rest easy in our beds. Our Glorious Leader is chairing a meeting of COBRA today
Not timed deliberately overshadowing Clegg's speech by any chance?

Why does he need a COBRA meeting anyway - we're hardly in panic mode and according to the medic on Today they're well prepared for any outbreak.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

danesclose wrote:Morning all. We can all rest easy in our beds. Our Glorious Leader is chairing a meeting of COBRA today
Morning all...has anyone been keeping score on how many times he's chaired emergency meetings in Cabinet Office, Briefing Room A? I'm interested to know if it's more than his great hero, Charles Lynton 'Miranda' Tory Blur...and whether any of the meetings have involved actual emergencies? It's not a serious question, it just seems as though every day now, he's having another go at being 'statesmanlike and serious' :rofl:
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Cameron's chest thumping may be more to do with the 'threat' of terrorism than Ebola.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... dings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

And the award for Delusional Columnist of Today goes to Mary Riddell at The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... d-out.html
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

danesclose wrote:And the award for Delusional Columnist of Today goes to Mary Riddell at The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... d-out.html
:rofl:
That's given me a smile first thing.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Wonga Ad Banned From TV For Not Showing Cost Of Borrowing
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10 ... _hp_ref=uk
Isn't it good not to see those damnable puppets before and after so much stuff on TV nowadays. I hope they're not coming back anytime soon.
Working on the wild side.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

yahyah wrote:Morning.

Am I being unfair to Clegg ?

He's voted for his government's policies that have caused so many people anxiety and depression, now we get close to an election he's pushing for more money/targets for mental health ?
Bah humbug.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29529877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
His (and the other Yellow Tories) Private Health masters...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/electio ... ssmen.html

...will be very pleased (probably 'purring') - great piece of business....implement policies designed to increase anxiety and stress so that they can increase demand for their 'products'...although maybe not going all that well...strange how this story hasn't been followed up in the MSM...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -choudhrie

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-e2 ... DTv4RaDSuE
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

I found this the other day....

http://www.alternet.org/economy/has-neo ... sychopaths

...and after a bit of digging, found it in the Graun (as it says at Alternet that it's a Graun piece)...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... athicsthic

...so I wondered - how do you identify a 'psychopath'?...and found this helpful list...uncanny how many could be attributed to the Coalition of Clowns...

http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-a-Psychopath

...and apropos of nothing in particular, other than I've not heard from Chomsky in a while, thought I'd link this...

http://www.alternet.org/books/chomsky-u ... in-mideast
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-29459754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Lesser known things about being a wheelchair user"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 48s49 seconds ago
Suddenly the money is going on an early departure for Clegg. PaddyPower cut price on him going before GE from 13/2 to 2/1
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index. ... r-victory/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" If Ed does become PM, it will be by default, on the back of the core Labour vote, disgruntled ex-LibDems, and division amongst his opponents. "
:mad:
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 48s49 seconds ago
Suddenly the money is going on an early departure for Clegg. PaddyPower cut price on him going before GE from 13/2 to 2/1
If he fell on his sword; it may bring some ex-voters back. :sick:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Richard Nabavi is a notorious rightwing troll.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

So, who do we think the new - don't worry Labour will win - concerned troll on AS blog is a reincarnation of ?

Morning all :)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

You don't mean "Beverley Cracknell" do you? :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:You don't mean "Beverley Cracknell" do you? :lol:
I do indeed mean her :lol:
Only joined today and is an expert on everything, the beta is bobbin's for me today, so not posting much anyway but deliberately not replying to "her". 8-)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Richard Nabavi is a notorious rightwing troll.
Great, thanks for the info, another name to add to the ignore list!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oh the joy of trying to find an emergency dentist in Bracknell only to discover we don't have one. Or even one that is taking new patients.

Rang 111. Long list of questions, nothing to do with the fact I have a huge abscess in my lower jaw.
They gave me a dental triage number to call. They suggested one dentist in Ascot. Rang them, sorry full up today.
Rang the Dental triage centre back. They said sorry, can't help any more. Suggest you ring around. Unless you want to go to Slough? No I didnt' want to go to Slough. I don't feel well enough to go swanning off to Slough. I said was it worth me going to the doctor? They said probably not, but I could try, so am waiting for the doc to ring, in the meantime I have an appointment tomorrow to see the dentist at Ascot. Taking painkillers for more than two days is making me feel very sick I guess it's because my insides haven't fully healed yet and they're not working. I don't feel at all well.

So what's the point of all this 111 and triage nurses if you can't get emergency treatment? More bloody waste!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:Oh the joy of trying to find an emergency dentist in Bracknell only to discover we don't have one. Or even one that is taking new patients.

Rang 111. Long list of questions, nothing to do with the fact I have a huge abscess in my lower jaw.
They gave me a dental triage number to call. They suggested one dentist in Ascot. Rang them, sorry full up today.
Rang the Dental triage centre back. They said sorry, can't help any more. Suggest you ring around. Unless you want to go to Slough? No I didnt' want to go to Slough. I don't feel well enough to go swanning off to Slough. I said was it worth me going to the doctor? They said probably not, but I could try, so am waiting for the doc to ring, in the meantime I have an appointment tomorrow to see the dentist at Ascot. Taking painkillers for more than two days is making me feel very sick I guess it's because my insides haven't fully healed yet and they're not working. I don't feel at all well.

So what's the point of all this 111 and triage nurses if you can't get emergency treatment? More bloody waste!
What to say? :( hugs :hug:
The doctor can at least give you antibiotic's maybe ?
Thinking of you (the old hot flannel might work or at least help )
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

StephenDolan wrote:http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index. ... r-victory/

" If Ed does become PM, it will be by default, on the back of the core Labour vote, disgruntled ex-LibDems, and division amongst his opponents. "
:mad:
That's quite interesting really, as it suggests that the anti-Ed movement within the Labour party have accepted that he's probably going to win the election, despite their best efforts, so they're having to move their narrative on to trying to make out that even if he does win he'll still somehow be an illegitimate leader, in order to justify their continued attempts to overthrow him. Unfortunatly I think he's going to have exactly the same sort of problems as Cameron has had, with a rump of utterly oppositional MPs who are more interested in picking ideological fights with their leader than actually trying to run the country. Hopefully, unlike Cameron, Ed will have the gumption to stand up to them, rather than let himself be dominated by them, the way that Cameron has.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 48s49 seconds ago
If he fell on his sword; it may bring some ex-voters back. :sick:
I think it would do for the LibDems what Thatcher's departure did for the Tories. I don't think it would matter if the new leader was just as up to his neck in the coalition's record as Clegg, those LibDem voters disgusted by their party's behaviour but still fostering a burning hatred for New Labour would give them a chance. (I can see another Cable stand-in period).

I suppose the question is whether Clegg cares enough to stay on. If he wanted to, there'd be no shifting him, certainly not before an election. If the party was going to move against Clegg, it would have done by now. I do get the sense that Clegg might not be that bothered about politics any more though. Not sure why.
If Clegg were to stand down, would the LDs hold a leadership election this close to a GE? Reason for the question is because presumably his replacement would become Deputy PM.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Only joined today and is an expert on everything, the beta is bobbin's for me today, so not posting much anyway but deliberately not replying to "her". 8-)
Spill the beans then ! Of whom is Beverly Cracknell the reincarnation ?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The light dawns a little on why the (Israel supporting) press hate Ed so much...

http://labourlist.org/2014/10/labour-sh ... xt-monday/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you want the UK to recognise the state of Palestine, then vote for Labour at the next General Election. This isn’t a mere pitch for votes but a factual statement that will become all the more obvious next week.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
I'm not sure, but the style is very familiar, was hoping someone here would have an idea or two :lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
The ghost of a former Guardian grandee, who is fond of Mondrian paintings?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Lonewolfie wrote:
Morning all...has anyone been keeping score on how many times he's chaired emergency meetings in Cabinet Office, Briefing Room A? I'm interested to know if it's more than his great hero, Charles Lynton 'Miranda' Tory Blur...and whether any of the meetings have involved actual emergencies? It's not a serious question, it just seems as though every day now, he's having another go at being 'statesmanlike and serious' :rofl:

This one, allegedly, is a "scheduled" meeting to discuss Ebola in Cabinet Office Briefing Room A. A planned emergency, if you will.

A is for.......(think very rude rugby song to the tune of Hey Ho says Rowley)

Our Glorious Ronsealed Fishpointer General, the preening popinjay and Beau Brummell de nos jours (on the grounds that he thinks he's of use and fancies himself an ornament), has become prescient.

Oh yes.

He does not respond to emergencies in a timely fashion - in fact, he's been known to stay on his jolly hollies while his capital city burns - but he's saving all that mucking about by planning the meetings before the crisis occurs, so he can fit it in to his very busy schedule of bimbling about pretending to be a statesman. And pointing at stuff. You never know when a thing requires a point or two, you know.

The Plebs must be made to understand that not only can this marvellous individual know in advance when a crisis will occur, he knows what it will be, too. Truly, we are in the presence of greatness. After all, this is the man who declared that his Big Society was carrying on the work of Jesus who invented the idea but who didn't get it right so OGRFG had to sort it all out and do it properly. So much so, that a little local difficulty with the BS finances involving the Charity Commissioners is way beneath his attention.

Unlike IDS, who simply talks to God, OGRFG actually IS God (but the younger, trendier version) and we must all be duly grateful.

I hope that clears everything up.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

HindleA wrote:Morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-29459754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link. The only way I've been able to get out & about for 6 weeks is in a wheelchair and it certainly changes your understanding of what life is like for users. The people round here have been lovely, but the infrastructure, pavements, kerbs, potholes, shop access, loos ect are terrible. I've been onto the council already, but I don't hold out much hope for rapid improvement as they are skint.
On the bright side, I'm out of it & getting around on crutches & sticks.

Oh, and Morning folks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

david bush ‏@Davidbush 19m19 minutes ago
#ldconf libdem conference not policed because they still owe £800.000 from last year. The party of financial probity.. pay your bills! :o
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: I do indeed mean her :lol:
I'm drawing a blank on that one - would he/she be an art critic at the G ? :?:
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Wonga Ad Banned From TV For Not Showing Cost Of Borrowing
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10 ... _hp_ref=uk
Isn't it good not to see those damnable puppets before and after so much stuff on TV nowadays. I hope they're not coming back anytime soon.
Imagine the shame of having them as your team sponsor. Here's what the fans have to say.
http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=67d ... 9bcb2b9e1a
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

AngryAsWell wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
pk1 wrote: Spill the beans then ! Of whom is Beverly Cracknell the reincarnation ?

The wife of the ''real'' James Cracknell, though this ''grandee'' would argue he is the real one is called Beverly, so I am guessing it is the esteemed and non Tory candidate James Cracknell, formerly of Sparrow's blog, and all round good egg?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AS replies to someone asking about news on the Labour leadership "challenge"

AndrewSparrowReplies AlexCook
Staff
12m
I'm afraid not. I'm in Glasgow focusing on the Lib Dems. From what I've seen, though, I think you'd be unwise to put money on Ed Miliband going anywhere. It looks to me like something being talked up by the papers, which are sometimes unreliable guides to what will actually happen.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: The ghost of a former Guardian grandee, who is fond of Mondrian paintings?

The wife of the ''real'' James Cracknell, though this ''grandee'' would argue he is the real one is called Beverly, so I am guessing it is the esteemed and non Tory candidate James Cracknell, formerly of Sparrow's blog, and all round good egg?
Not this one - she's dripping poison
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: I'm drawing a blank on that one - would he/she be an art critic at the G ? :?:

Not this one - she's dripping poison
Round and round and round we go. Where we stop, only Hugo knows?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 52s52 seconds ago
Labour reshuffle likely next week, several sources have told me today.
Well that should be interesting ..... have to admit to a sneaky little hope that Darling might be waiting in the wings to make a surprise entrance. I don't mind if it's just a bit part ... he's good at conducting interviews and sounding authoritative .... we could do with some of that.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Crick with his usual sneer :
It’s true that Labour has had to spend a lot on by-elections in this parliament – partly because a lot more Labour MPs have either died, or gone to jail for expenses fraud.

Ok, let's explore the numbers:

* Oldham East and Saddleworth, Jan 2011, replacing Phil Woolas, Void election
* Barnsley Central, March 2011, replacing Eric Illsley, jailed for expenses fraud
* Leicester South, May 2011, replacing Sir Peter Soulsby who resigned to fight the Mayoral election
* Inverclyde, June 2011, to replace David Cairns who had died
* Feltham and Heston, Dec 2011, replacing Alan Keen who had died
* Manchester Central, Nov 2012, replacing Tony Lloyd who resigned to stand for PCC election
* Cardiff South and Penarth, Nov 2012, replacing Alun Michael who resigned to stand for PCC election
* Rotherham, Nov 12, replacing Denis McShane, eventually jailed for expenses fraud
* Middlesbrough, Nov 2012, replacing Sir Stuart Bell who had died
* Croydon North, Nov 2012, replacing Malcolm Wicks who had died
* South Shields, May 2013, replacing David Miliband who stropped off in a sulk cos his little bro beat him
* Wythenshawe and Sale East, Feb 2014, replacing Paul Goggins who had died
* Heywood and Middleton, Oct 2014, replacing Jim Dobbin who had died

So there we have it, 13 Labour MP's elected from by-elections this Parliament & only 2 of whom have been successful because their predecessors were jailed for expenses fraud !

I cannot adequately express my contempt for Crick.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Sorry, haven't read it, rushed in, shall go back to sleep. :?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

55DegreesNorth wrote:

Thanks for the link. The only way I've been able to get out & about for 6 weeks is in a wheelchair and it certainly changes your understanding of what life is like for users. The people round here have been lovely, but the infrastructure, pavements, kerbs, potholes, shop access, loos ect are terrible. I've been onto the council already, but I don't hold out much hope for rapid improvement as they are skint.

Oh, and Morning folks.
Glad to hear you are up and about more 55DN. I hadn't realised you had been going through a recovery - hope things are progressing well.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: I do indeed mean her :lol:
Doh ! It's all so obvious now you've supplied that almighty shove !! So, he's escaped the mods this time - for today at least.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

pk1 wrote:Crick with his usual sneer :
It’s true that Labour has had to spend a lot on by-elections in this parliament – partly because a lot more Labour MPs have either died, or gone to jail for expenses fraud.

Ok, let's explore the numbers:

* Oldham East and Saddleworth, Jan 2011, replacing Phil Woolas, Void election
* Barnsley Central, March 2011, replacing Eric Illsley, jailed for expenses fraud
* Leicester South, May 2011, replacing Sir Peter Soulsby who resigned to fight the Mayoral election
* Inverclyde, June 2011, to replace David Cairns who had died
* Feltham and Heston, Dec 2011, replacing Alan Keen who had died
* Manchester Central, Nov 2012, replacing Tony Lloyd who resigned to stand for PCC election
* Cardiff South and Penarth, Nov 2012, replacing Alun Michael who resigned to stand for PCC election
* Rotherham, Nov 12, replacing Denis McShane, eventually jailed for expenses fraud
* Middlesbrough, Nov 2012, replacing Sir Stuart Bell who had died
* Croydon North, Nov 2012, replacing Malcolm Wicks who had died
* South Shields, May 2013, replacing David Miliband who stropped off in a sulk cos his little bro beat him
* Wythenshawe and Sale East, Feb 2014, replacing Paul Goggins who had died
* Heywood and Middleton, Oct 2014, replacing Jim Dobbin who had died

So there we have it, 13 Labour MP's elected from by-elections this Parliament & only 2 of whom have been successful because their predecessors were jailed for expenses fraud !

I cannot adequately express my contempt for Crick.
Weeeeellllllll..............Labour haven't actually won the last one yet :?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Deacon ‏@MichaelPDeacon 7m7 minutes ago
In his speech, Clegg will say Lib Dems are "as economically competent as we are socially fair". Well, I don't think you can argue with that
:lol:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Well that should be interesting ..... have to admit to a sneaky little hope that Darling might be waiting in the wings to make a surprise entrance. I don't mind if it's just a bit part ... he's good at conducting interviews and sounding authoritative .... we could do with some of that.
Reeves needs to either up the gear of get moved aside, or out, seriously underwhelming, has a mountain of material to go on the attack with and what happens, disappears.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ohsocynical wrote:Oh the joy of trying to find an emergency dentist in Bracknell only to discover we don't have one. Or even one that is taking new patients.

Oh you have my sympathy. :hug: Had one myself a couple of months ago - didn't hurt but face very swollen. I've always had troubles with my teggies so I pay a monthly fee for quick and regular service. Worth it to me.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Reeves needs to either up the gear of get moved aside, or out, seriously underwhelming, has a mountain of material to go on the attack with and what happens, disappears.
Yeah - agree with that - but probably unlikely to get shifted as she only got the present job at the last reshuffle.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
55DegreesNorth wrote:

Oh, and Morning folks.
Glad to hear you are up and about more 55DN. I hadn't realised you had been going through a recovery - hope things are progressing well.
Best wishes from me as well 55DN
:hug: