Thursday 9th October 2014 - Dave's bumper birthday

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Re: Thursday 9th October 2014 - Dave's bumper birthday

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
onebuttonmonkey wrote:Seeing as the Guardian's Beta has made their comment system virtually unusable, and seeing as some of you have previously said far too kind things about my Thursday BBCQT rants, I hope you don't mind the self-promoting indulgence of me posting a link to it here:

http://onebuttonmonkey.com/obm/2014/10/ ... acton.html

I realise my ranting about all the parties isn't everyone's taste, so feel free to skip the two paragraphs on Harriet Harman, if you like...
Did she really merit two whole paragraphs? If I may be permitted another video link, this sums up most peoples (including my own) reaction to her eloquently.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's far more eloquent than me. The only reason she got two was because I struggled to be able to express how bored I was by her in one. But that video's far more enjoyable to watch.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
onebuttonmonkey wrote:Seeing as the Guardian's Beta has made their comment system virtually unusable, and seeing as some of you have previously said far too kind things about my Thursday BBCQT rants, I hope you don't mind the self-promoting indulgence of me posting a link to it here:

http://onebuttonmonkey.com/obm/2014/10/ ... acton.html

I realise my ranting about all the parties isn't everyone's taste, so feel free to skip the two paragraphs on Harriet Harman, if you like...
Did she really merit two whole paragraphs? If I may be permitted another video link, this sums up most peoples (including my own) reaction to her eloquently.

That's far more eloquent than me. The only reason she got two was because I struggled to be able to express how bored I was by her in one. But that video's far more enjoyable to watch.
Sometimes less is more. Something you & I both need to learn! :rofl:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
onebuttonmonkey wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Did she really merit two whole paragraphs? If I may be permitted another video link, this sums up most peoples (including my own) reaction to her eloquently.

Sometimes less is more. Something you & I both need to learn! :rofl:
Ha ha. Well said.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I am now officially furious.

I posted a comment on the Kate Green article on Labour List - yes, it was critical, along the lines of what I have posted here today.

It was not abusive, and it was no more rude than any of the others there.

It has been removed.

I won't bother with LL again.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

But rightwing trolls are allowed to post their junk there without hindrance. Getting bored of the place myself, despite some good writing still being produced......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

ephemerid wrote:I am now officially furious.

I posted a comment on the Kate Green article on Labour List - yes, it was critical, along the lines of what I have posted here today.

It has been removed.

Just made a comment to see if it lasts.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Now it looks as if Amal Alamuddin will be sailing up the Thames with her new husband to the couple’s first marital home together in Sonning Eye.
This week the village was awash with the news that the celebrity couple have purchased the Grade II listed Aberlash Manor nestled on a four acre island in the Thames River straddling the Berkshire and Oxfordshire border.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/ ... ning-home/

George Clooney's not worried about the Mansion Tax. So that's all right then!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:Double session on the dentists couch but have never had teeth out [two, a stitch in one of them] where I ended up in more pain than before. Don't know where to put myself. It's so bad it gave me the shakes. Now my ear is aching in sympathy and the pain killers aren't even taking the edge off. Sod going to the dentist!
Hope they gave you antibiotics for the abscess. If you have some brandy you can use it as a local anaesthetic by slooshing half-a-capful into the side of your mouth the teeth were taken from with your head tilted to the side and letting it sink in then spit if you are a teetotaller, swallow if not. And if you have enough salt, heat enough to half-fill a thick woollen sock, pour in then tie the sock and rest it against the side of your face. Wrap in a folded tea-towel if it is too hot. If no thick sock then a brown paper bag will do – just under half filled, twist and fold back over itself to make the paper double-thickness, and wrap in folded tea-towel. If neither and no salt, then wrapped hot-water bottle. Hope those help.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ephemerid wrote:I am now officially furious.

It has been removed.

You're lucky it got posted, mine go into moderation right away, after I tried last week (on TTIP) I wrote to the owner of LL and told him to delete it and me from his list. I had the same row last year, after reading loads of right wing bile on there I emailed Mark asking why I was on moderation when others (some v insulting and abusive) just get posted. He did reply waffling about automatic moderation being applied by Discus not them and saying he would look into it. Obviously he didn't so I'm out of there.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This is what's troubling Osborne I guess

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ufacturing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

britain-economic-recovery-stall-warning-exports-manufacturing
Manufacturing stalling, increasing numbers of empty shops on high streets, stalled/falling new house buyers and sales instructions, expected fall in house-prices within next 5 months, and new Eurozone worries. Gideon and Dave are doing so well with their economic plans, are they not?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Brandy sounds right up my street. Unfortunately I was warned by the dentist to stay away from alcohol, because it clashes with metronidozle [one of the drugs I'm on] and makes you deathly sick. :(
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ohsocynical wrote:Brandy sounds right up my street. Unfortunately I was warned by the dentist to stay away from alcohol, because it clashes with metronidozle [one of the drugs I'm on] and makes you deathly sick. :(
Correct!
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Get well soon ohso.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

This is worth a read
Ed Miliband’s Leadership: Or, What Do YOU Really Want? by @bevclack & @MagsNews

http://www.labourleft.co.uk/ed-miliband ... -magsnews/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Wow.

Gove considered removing Wilshaw as Ofsted chief, memo reveals

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... lshaw-memo
Michael Gove considered replacing Sir Michael Wilshaw as chief inspector of schools amid deep-seated frustrations over his performance, an internal Whitehall memo passed to the Guardian reveals.

The Department for Education document reveals that the former education secretary, senior officials and DfE board members discussed the “serious and growing problem” of Ofsted as run by Wilshaw.
And a link to the memo written by....have a guess...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

gilsey wrote:Get well soon ohso.
Thanks. :)
Suddenly I seem to be falling apart! I've had so many things go wrong in the last two and a half months it's getting annoying.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Double wow...

The subject of Cummings memo was...

Subject: Ofsted: quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Title of the Policy Exchange report?

Watching the Watchmen
The future of school inspections in England

Theodore Agnew is a trustee of Policy Exchange as well as being on the DfE board and almost certainly had a copy of that memo.

Scandal brewing? DfE board member undermines HMCI by leaking memo to his thinktank?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Who ever has been running AS blog needs a kick up the bum, of the 12 visible items 11 are about Ukip, blog looks like a PPB for Ukip! Not even an attempt at balance. Not even a look in for LibDems its that bad - have they gone bonkers?
Have tweeted AS but - surprise not - no reply.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Turncoat Douglas Carswell already has the sign made up. Poor Clacton, famous today for all the wrong reasons

(you have to read the Clacton sign...)

:lol!:
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Looks like it may be too late for Clacton!
Clacton.jpg
Clacton.jpg (96 KiB) Viewed 25771 times
BTW Not only is it Cameron's birthday today, it also would be John Lennon's
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

AngryAsWell wrote:Turncoat Douglas Carswell already has the sign made up. Poor Clacton, famous today for all the wrong reasons

Curse you AAW - you beat me to it :)
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:This is worth a read

http://www.labourleft.co.uk/ed-miliband ... -magsnews/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You're right, it's excellent, and exactly the sort of thing that should be repeated and highlighted in the media. As they point out, it's the wrong narrative for a media that's decided that Miliband is too weird/bacon unfriendly/Jewish to elect, so don't expect it to be seen elsewhere. I've bookmarked that site. It looks a good 'un.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.

@ohsocynical

I hope you feel better tomorrow.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Double wow...

Watching the Watchmen

Theodore Agnew is a trustee of Policy Exchange as well as being on the DfE board and almost certainly had a copy of that memo.

Scandal brewing? DfE board member undermines HMCI by leaking memo to his thinktank?
Why Gove got out?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

danesclose wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Turncoat Douglas Carswell already has the sign made up. Poor Clacton, famous today for all the wrong reasons

Curse you AAW - you beat me to it :)
Only just - and you got piccy in :)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Double wow...

Watching the Watchmen

Why Gove got out?
Could be - if Wilshaw was tipped off about the memo that's why he blew up at Gove in the ST some months ago.

Wilshaw's not stupid - as soon as he saw the PX report he probably put two and two together and knew it had been leaked.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh great...just what we need.
On governance, Lord Nash also said that a suggestion raised earlier in the conference – that governing bodies all produce an annual report, and hold an annual meeting was “a very interesting idea”, and one that he would look at.
http://academiesweek.co.uk/academies-mi ... onference/

These were ditched more than a decade ago as they were usually poorly attended and a complete waste of time. We tended to get more governors than parents!

IIRC the DfE said that schools no longer needed to hold them - luckily just before I became chair!

Hopefully someone might tell him that this is a really bad idea.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Night PF,

That piece by Bev is spot on. We really need to stop the infighting and concentrate on what is really happening; that doesn't mean we can't debate, or express disappointment if Labour aren't being as radical as we would like, but doing Lynton's work for him helps nobody but the Tories.

Speaking of the Tories, looks like the bounce has gone out of their conference bungee ....... The latest YouGov figures are LAB 35%, CON 30%, UKIP 15%, LD 9%.

Good luck to all those braving QT and the UKIP show following it. Me, I'm going to poke knitting needles into my eyes, a vastly preferable alternative. Night all.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

I'm not even going to bother trying to follow the counts via the Graun. DP there is now beyond pathetic and has morphed into a right wing trolls club - chiefly inhabited by the deranged kippers - who never get binned whilst any left wing commentary is. Apparently, the story tonight is a political 'earthquake' as UKIP, in a seat full of their target audience (white, poor, older, likely to be male, pissed off by migration but untouched by it), with a popular local ex-Tory MP as candidate, borne along by the goodwill and bonhommie of a highly sympathetic and very right wing meeja take a single seat out of the 350 odd in the HoC.

And this is meant to be an 'earthquake'.

The meeja have been aching for this to happen, as it'd be news and it suits their proprietors. UKIP is about as 'anti-establishment' as the fucking Queen, and is so demonstrably extreme right wing that you wonder where this 'party of the people' crap comes from, unless it was lifted directly from Le Pen in France.

What will be reported as a footnote is Heywood and Middleton. Psephologically, not that dissimilar to Clacton in many respects, and UKIP will poll well, but I strongly suspect that Labour will win it and Liz McInnes will be nobody's fool at Halitosis Hall.

The big difference? One is used to voting right wing - and therefore a further shove to the right is hardly a stretch; the other is used to voting left wing, and is typical of many northern seats where UKIP will make some inroads (for why, see above) but won't shift Labour MPs. The north is simply more left wing than the south (barring London) and therefore has little use for another right wing party.

But don't expect the Graun, the BBC or most other meeja sources to bother explaining it.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Night all :)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh great...just what we need.
On governance, Lord Nash also said that a suggestion raised earlier in the conference – that governing bodies all produce an annual report, and hold an annual meeting was “a very interesting idea”, and one that he would look at.
http://academiesweek.co.uk/academies-mi ... onference/

These were ditched more than a decade ago as they were usually poorly attended and a complete waste of time. We tended to get more governors than parents!

IIRC the DfE said that schools no longer needed to hold them - luckily just before I became chair!

Hopefully someone might tell him that this is a really bad idea.
I think you just don't want to work instead of sipping sherry.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

OhSo - not ignoring your dental travails. it's just that I've been all over today.

Cocodamal is your friend, unless you know someone with morphine. I'd be tempted to sup brandy, but then I like brandy...
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

AngryAsWell wrote:I know I'm a bit doom ad gloom about H&M result but Labour do need to b prepared for a bit of a shock
Just checked last election vote distribution :
BNP 3,239
Ukip 1,215
tory's 12,528
LibDems 10,474
Labour 18,499
The Labour majority is only 5,971. They need that to go up - not down - for it to be a "good" result.
Kellner is predicting a 3000 majority for Labour.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

LadyCentauria wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Double session on the dentists couch but have never had teeth out [two, a stitch in one of them] where I ended up in more pain than before. Don't know where to put myself. It's so bad it gave me the shakes. Now my ear is aching in sympathy and the pain killers aren't even taking the edge off. Sod going to the dentist!
Hope they gave you antibiotics for the abscess. If you have some brandy you can use it as a local anaesthetic by slooshing half-a-capful into the side of your mouth the teeth were taken from with your head tilted to the side and letting it sink in then spit if you are a teetotaller, swallow if not. And if you have enough salt, heat enough to half-fill a thick woollen sock, pour in then tie the sock and rest it against the side of your face. Wrap in a folded tea-towel if it is too hot. If no thick sock then a brown paper bag will do – just under half filled, twist and fold back over itself to make the paper double-thickness, and wrap in folded tea-towel. If neither and no salt, then wrapped hot-water bottle. Hope those help.
Although, having just read Ephes reply to you she is quite right that a cold compress is better where there is bleeding or fresh clots...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

50% turnout in Clacton according to QT.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:Night all :)
Night AAW :sleep:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Spacedone wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:I know I'm a bit doom ad gloom about H&M result but Labour do need to b prepared for a bit of a shock
BNP 3,239
Ukip 1,215
tory's 12,528
LibDems 10,474
Labour 18,499
The Labour majority is only 5,971. They need that to go up - not down - for it to be a "good" result.
What, if anything, is he basing that on?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

RogerOThornhill wrote:50% turnout in Clacton according to QT.
And Kellner also predicting that UKIP will have a 10,000 majority.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
BNP 3,239
Ukip 1,215
tory's 12,528
LibDems 10,474
Labour 18,499
What, if anything, is he basing that on?
No idea. There's no explanation about where he's getting these figure from.
justamentalpatient
Backbencher

Post by justamentalpatient »

What planet is Eric Pickles living on? Himself?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight PF
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight TGS and AAW.
justamentalpatient
Backbencher

Post by justamentalpatient »

Always had the feeling that JW was a bit up herself (in spite of her background).

Happy to say I was impressed by her on QT tonight.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Labour are now briefing that we expect to win Heywood and Middleton, with a voteshare up on 2010 general and 2014 locals"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

HindleA wrote:"Labour are now briefing that we expect to win Heywood and Middleton, with a voteshare up on 2010 general and 2014 locals"
Yep, by the way in all that Carswell puffery on the AS blog.

Carswell The Anarchist

Carswell The Roundhead

Etc

They missed out

Carswell The Twat

Which covers almost all of his swivel eyed views. They all follow the same line - identify a problem chose the completely wrong solution to it.
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Did we know there was a Council by-election contest in Clacton? Prompted by Carswell defection overriding existing UKIP PPC who was a local councillor...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:"Labour are now briefing that we expect to win Heywood and Middleton, with a voteshare up on 2010 general and 2014 locals"
So all the UKIP vote has come from The Tories and LibDems?

Excellent.

On that note I'm off.

Night all.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
So all the UKIP vote has come from The Tories and LibDems?

Excellent.

On that note I'm off.

Night all.
Well, despite the appallingly misleading shite you'll see in the Briddish meeja, UKIP isn't a people's crusade in any sense. It is, was, and always will be a vote for the desperate and desperately stupid lego brick constructs of a party that has apparently completely renounced its own sodding manifesto from 2010.

You begin to wonder who is actually promoting UKIP and why? Acres of meeja coverage when the Greens struggle to find any coverage and as for Her Majesty's Official Opposition - forget it. Why? Qui bono?

The answer is so grindingly obvious that it's almost laughable. As always, vested interests want the golf club bores of UKIP as a major force to put a shot across the Tories bows, to keep them on the straight and narrow. Do as our proprietor says, or else that lovely Nigel gets the plaudits, not you EmptyDave.

Neoliberalism writ large.

If Labour's vote share goes up in H&M, it'll get no attention in the meeja. Expect more carping about Miliband. The collapse of the FibDems and the Tories in that constituency? Oh look, there's a squirrel.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AngryAsWell wrote:This is worth a read

Thanks AAW if I were more articulate this is the piece I would have written about Ed Miliband.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Recount H & M