Thursday 26th March 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 26th March 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 26th March 2020

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

So the government has put off announcing its help for the self-employed until after parliament has risen for several weeks.

Not exactly a confidence booster.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:So the government has put off announcing its help for the self-employed until after parliament has risen for several weeks.

Not exactly a confidence booster.
That lack of support is causing all kinds of anxiety here locally. People can't get their hands on a government letting them down. Please, everyone, don't take your anger out on those close to you. Easy, simple to write and difficult to do, I know.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Hmm...
Robert Peston

Verified account

@Peston
Follow Follow @Peston
More
Dyson may have jumped gun on its announcement of supplying thousands of ventilators to NHS. PM's official spokesman says Dyson's new machine has not had approval from Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, and no government money will go to Dyson unless...
and until it gets approval. I read into that Dyson was possibly trying to put pressure on government to give approval by disclosing its ventilator plans yesterday. But a minister to whom I've just spoken tells me it's by no means certain Dyson will get approval

11:45 AM - 26 Mar 2020
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

oh great
the Dyson Vent-O-Matic
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

'a full money-back guarantee if you're not completely satisfied'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Dyson's previous record did raise the possibility there might be an element of "too good to be true" about this.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Hmm...
Robert Peston

Verified account

@Peston
Follow Follow @Peston
More
Dyson may have jumped gun on its announcement of supplying thousands of ventilators to NHS. PM's official spokesman says Dyson's new machine has not had approval from Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, and no government money will go to Dyson unless...
and until it gets approval. I read into that Dyson was possibly trying to put pressure on government to give approval by disclosing its ventilator plans yesterday. But a minister to whom I've just spoken tells me it's by no means certain Dyson will get approval

11:45 AM - 26 Mar 2020
Where is James Dyson envisaging having these ventilators manufactured? If overseas, wouldn't it be safer to have them manufactured in the UK where the UK government would have control over domestic lock-down, export etc regulations re factories rather than be subject to any outside situations which might arise? Or, possibly, spread the risk between locations.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Appears that the daily announcement of death/infection stats is going to be moved to the morning. Having to wait until after 9PM yesterday was taking the proverbial.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Dyson's previous record did raise the possibility there might be an element of "too good to be true" about this.
Dyson's superdooper hand-drier shares any microbes or viruses remaining on your hands with everyone within I forget how many meters, but it's several ! The AirBlade maybe , or is that the fan ?
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Morfternoon all.

I'm not sure which of these hits hardest, but apparently Trump has issued cease-and-desist letters over them:

https://mobile.twitter.com/prioritiesUS ... 4553865216

https://twitter.com/Politidope/status/1 ... 7080197121

Full article https://theweek.com/speedreads/904903/t ... s-response

Edit :apparently just one part of the first one has been objected to.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G:
The spokesman confirmed that the way UK coronavirus deaths are recorded and made public is changing (see 11.07am), but he was unable to give details of how. He said Public Health England is moving to a different reporting time. Yesterday was “a cross-over day” in the way they were recording the numbers, he said. But he was unable to explain what would change.
Instead of challenging this and asking questions, the BBC is merrily giving out detailed information about the coronavirus situation in every other country except our own.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... and-health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't believe the myth that we must sacrifice lives to save the economy
Jonathan Portes
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... and-health
Don't believe the myth that we must sacrifice lives to save the economy
Jonathan Portes
Thanks for that, a very good one !
"" And the long-term consequences? It wasn’t the sharp fall in GDP in 2008-9 that reduced, over the course of the next decade, life expectancy for the poorest in our society. It was how the government chose to address the economic fallout of the global financial crisis – by underfunding and understaffing the NHS and social care, and by eroding the basic welfare safety net that people depend on when times are hard. As we are now discovering, these were false economies that left us less, not more, prepared for this crisis.

Similarly, if we allow Covid-19 to permanently damage our economic and social fabric, it will be our own fault, not that of the virus. This time we can, and must, do better.""
The ideological 'shrinking of the state' should be being discredited by now ...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Disgraceful (but not terribly surprising) developments in Israel.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

No 10 in U-turn over EU-wide ventilator procurement scheme

Just as the press conference was about to start, Downing Street announced what amounts to a U-turn over participating in the EU-wide effort to procure ventilators and other medical equipment. A Downing Street spokesman said:

Owing to an initial communication problem, the UK did not receive an invitation in time to join in four joint procurements in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

As the commission has confirmed, we are eligible to participate in joint procurements during the transition period, following our departure from the EU earlier this year.

As those four initial procurement schemes had already gone out to tender we were unable to take part in these, but we will consider participating in future procurement schemes on the basis of public health requirements at the time.

We are working round the clock with industry, the NHS, social care providers and the army to ensure the supply of PPE over the coming weeks and months and will give our NHS and the social care sector everything they need to tackle this outbreak. (Politics Live, Guardian)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This seem to have aged well given the latest announcement...
John McDonnell MP

Verified account

@johnmcdonnellMP
Mar 21
More
It’s dawning on people that there are huge gaping holes in yesterday’s Chancellor’s statement. We must urge him to shift once more to protect the wages of the self employed by including them in the jobs retention scheme & to raise the level of sick pay to the real living wage.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Some who should know better were giving him stick for that statement at the time.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Indeed.

Not sure this has aged that well TBH...
rustinpeace

@rustinpeace00
Follow Follow @rustinpeace00
More
Replying to @johnmcdonnellMP
It's long since dawned on people that your opinion isn't worth the air into which it is uttered. Pipe down and let the grown ups deal with this.

1:56 PM - 21 Mar 2020
"grown-ups"

:lol:
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:This seem to have aged well given the latest announcement...
John McDonnell MP

Verified account

@johnmcdonnellMP
Mar 21
More
It’s dawning on people that there are huge gaping holes in yesterday’s Chancellor’s statement. We must urge him to shift once more to protect the wages of the self employed by including them in the jobs retention scheme & to raise the level of sick pay to the real living wage.
I've no clue who 'rustinpeace' is, BUT I do hope and pray that the LP is garnering Tory reactions to this, and assembling them together ? The ideal is the video , the short and punchy video --

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

So, who clapped?
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Yep - it was very well done in my street. Now give them a pay rise.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

The NHS workers that is, not my street.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:So, who clapped?
me
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AK -- Given that I'm down the bottom of a 200 meter drive to my cottage ...

It wasn't me !

I'm not a paid-up LP tribalist , but MY GOD, my criticisms of your Tory government are stronger than some of theirs .

The fucking Westminster government copies other places heartfelt initiatives (Spain France) PURELY for party political advantage .

'Bringing the country together' ... bullshit .

They should be hung out to dry .

A large dose of EXCORIATION is required .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

GetYou wrote:Yep - it was very well done in my street. Now give them a pay rise.
Yes, effective safety kit, improved working conditions and a pay increase
The only tune going through my head was Play That Funky Music so I didn't sing
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I was feeding the cat and forgot,

A mate of mine who is a cardiac nurse said on a FB page that instead of useless clapping, the best way they can support the NHS is by never voting Conservative again.

That didn't go down well...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:---
The fucking Westminster government copies other places heartfelt initiatives (Spain France) PURELY for party political advantage .

'Bringing the country together' ... bullshit .

They should be hung out to dry .

A large dose of EXCORIATION is required .
(cJA edit)
Yes, hear, hear. I'm not feeling any genuine bringing together because it's not there.
Leadership is horseshit. Insecurity, fear, anger, questions unanswered, U-turns...
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I was feeding the cat and forgot,
A mate of mine who is a cardiac nurse said on a FB page that instead of useless clapping, the best way they can support the NHS is by never voting Conservative again.
WELL .... take the names of those arseholes .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm real sorry to read that. It's not a controversial request.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I only tend to see DAG's tweets when retweeted by others as I don't follow him now but this is a fairly comprehensive look at the emergency powers.

The first tweet is 1 and 2 but then I think he forgot to link the 3rd which is why it's separate.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Yep. A cross next to Labour in a GE is just as easy and painless as clapping but buckets loads more effective. NHS staff shouldn't need to be lauded for going above and beyond because in a decent world there'd be enough staff that they wouldn't have to.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I trust that our QT Correspondent is on the job , in a fit state, etc ?

There are VERY many who would not brave QT, and welcome his reports from the Front .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I meant to post this earlier...a story where if people actually used their common sense the public would be better served.

OK, so our GP has closed its doors and presumably only doing house calls so people now can't get in.
'Er indoors submitted an online prescription and nominated a nearby pharmacy.
But every time she phoned the pharmacy it hadn't arrived. Phone the GP, and yes, it's been printed.
So where is it?

Well it turns out that the driver who collects prescriptions turned up at the door of the GP but couldn't get in, so couldn't pick up the prescriptions.

Which begs the question:
1. Why didn't the driver tell the pharmacy to phone the GP and arrange to be there at a certain time to pick them up?
2. Why didn't the surgery notice the pile of prescriptions mounting up and wonder why they hadn't been collected and phone the pharmacy?

It beggars belief that for a week, neither side thought about getting in touch with the other.

Meanwhile the delivery from the company who delivers 'er indoors stoma stuff went as planned - knock on the door, wait for a few seconds, open the door and wave at the driver at the end of the path. No problem.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

My Gosh, it's already TEN days since I went , before that Noon Deadline, to collect my regular prescription from my GP's notice board . In his waiting room with the door wide open and a big bottle of hand-gel on the table !

Thanking my stars to live in a small town / rural area ....