Wednesday 25th March 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 25th March 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 25th March 2020

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote:Morning all.
Morning! Another lovely day, --2° and the kettle still warm on the stove . No veg and calf-market in town from today on, as the mayor decided that the supermarket and smaller superette are sufficient. So I'm relieved that I got 24 salad plants and 5kg sacks of leeks and spuds on Saturday, tho I could do with more veg plants. In another small town without a supermarket their mayor has asked permission to continue the market.
https://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/g ... se-6789022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is an accurate picture of small town and rural life, tho I don't know what it is like in the cités, thinking of the Dept93 car-burning areas where my daughter did her initial teaching experience in 2005 ...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meanwhile, Trump is threatening and begging for international assistance --
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And some Tories want the Opposition to share responsibility ... since the last Coalition was such a great success .

EDIT -- since the last Coalition was such a great success for them .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Plenty to think about for the three LP contenders --
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... servatives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's going to need one hell of a lot of political skill to ensure that the Tories do not escape blame for their Pandemic Incompetence, and are free to go back to their evil ways afterwards .

A split in the Tory Party leading to this PM&cabinet being thrown out would be lovely, and a real GNU being formed, but I suppose that's a dream ;) . It would be possible if there were enough genuine patriots on those benches ? Much also comes back to the Will of the People and those lies on the side of a bus .

We have the same problems of damn-near criminal incompetence, not enough masks/ventilators/tests , but at least over much of the country Local Government still functions, down to commune level.

Carers in one home in my other neighbouring small town 5kms away are quarantined with apparently minor infections, so my GP has been busy. His consulting room is right beside it.

Nationwide there are already tens of deaths in care homes which do not figure in the headline statistics for 'hospital mortalities'.

It's just beginning . xx
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Piers Morgan must be the unlikeliest of CV heroes.

Good Morning Britain
@GMB
‘I will pay it [the fine] - and I will then go to the Government to have the battle.’

@piersmorgan
offers to pay the parking tickets of any NHS health worker who gets fined during the coronavirus crisis.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
It is too ! It was freezing this morning and now I'm installing a table against my sunny south wall for plants and sowing trays.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Prince Charles eh?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Prince Charles eh?
Well, it can't go much higher than that. And arguably the crucial thing about genuine pandemics is that they don't just affect poor people.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

DWP: You are in the queue to register an account. There are 111,321 users ahead of you

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/statu ... 4459816976
That moment when the rest of the country discovers what it’s been like for years for chronically sick and disabled people dependent on DWP for their survival.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Prince Charles eh?
Well, it can't go much higher than that. And arguably the crucial thing about genuine pandemics is that they don't just affect poor people.
Or much lower, in terms of usefulness.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:
It is too ! It was freezing this morning and now I'm installing a table against my sunny south wall for plants and sowing trays.
Your ingenuity and resourcefulness are an example to us all.
Let's all learn French and take refuge in the continental lair.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Office for National Statistics (ONS) published yesterday
Coronavirus and homeworking in the UK labour market: 2019

- Of the 32.6 million in employment, around 1.7 million people reported working mainly from home, with around 4.0 million working from home in the week prior to being interviewed for the survey.
- Around 8.7 million people said that they have worked from home; this is less than 30% of the workforce.
- Some industrial sectors, such as transportation and storage, accommodation and food services, and wholesale, retail and repair provide relatively few opportunities for people to work from home.
- Other industrial sectors, such as information and communication, professional, scientific and technical activities, financial and insurance activities, and real estate activities, provide far more homeworking opportunities.
- Occupations requiring higher qualifications and experience are more likely to provide homeworking opportunities than elementary and manual occupations.
-Younger workers are the least likely to be working from home, whereas those who continue to work beyond State Pension age are increasingly likely to be working from home.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlab ... arket/2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

While pandemics affect everyone and no one's wealth protects against catching a virus, historically, having more resources allow greater opportunities for effective and comfortable isolation and access to swift, effective treatment.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote:
I put about half of my tomato seedlings out over the weekend and apart from a couple that died they seem to be pretty happy even though the temperature here is dropping to near freezing at night, I'll keep the other half indoors and hedge my bets.

One thing I won't be doing is ordering 'British wildflower' seeds from Ebay for 99p again after last year's debacle. I ended up with dwarf Siberian kale, some kind of Chinese cane, American blue flax and an assortment of other things I couldn't even identify.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Essential journeys to non-essential construction sites. I'm having trouble with that concept. Boris Johnson obviously has a mind far more agile than mine.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

GetYou wrote:DWP: You are in the queue to register an account. There are 111,321 users ahead of you
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Eeeuuuuwwww.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Hands up anyone who didn't know UC would fall over this week.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

As someone on that thread commented, he's mid-regeneration in that pic
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
frog222 wrote:
Your ingenuity and resourcefulness are an example to us all.
Let's all learn French and take refuge in the continental lair.
Haha JA ! Lots of people are sowing toms on their windowsills etc, one healthy way of getting away from the TV, computer, spectating politix and worrying .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Essential journeys to non-essential construction sites. I'm having trouble with that concept. Boris Johnson obviously has a mind far more agile than mine.
I had a look at local chatter on official sites in social media last night
A few community members berating individuals
"Lock down means lock down."
"What's so hard to understand?"
Respondents explained their difficulty
they were told watch the Johnson address again

"protecting the NHS"
healthcare staff and healthcare provision they're providing is the NHS
NHS isn't some abstract bauble requiring a safe deposit box
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:Eeeuuuuwwww.
It's the best picture I've seen of IDS, thoroughly captures the man.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

GetYou wrote:As someone on that thread commented, he's mid-regeneration in that pic
(cJA bold)
there's more to come?!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:While pandemics affect everyone and no one's wealth protects against catching a virus, historically, having more resources allow greater opportunities for effective and comfortable isolation and access to swift, effective treatment.
Absolutely true. Though it shouldn't be forgotten that Spanish Flu got its name because that country's monarch nearly died from it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:---
Haha JA ! Lots of people are sowing toms on their windowsills etc, one healthy way of getting away from the TV, computer, spectating politix and worrying .
I really must get into healthier habits. I'm eating biscuits, on the computer and speculating about politics when I'm not searching for accurate information about local public transportation, opening and closing times of necessary shops and when they're closed for periodic restocking.

I'm sorry reading local market staff report they're receiving abuse from the public. Venting abuse at shop staff is unacceptable. I can't imagine doing such a thing, even if I were angry and frightened. It doesn't work. Nothing good comes of it. Won't get anyone anything but trouble.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

GetYou wrote:As someone on that thread commented, he's mid-regeneration in that pic
The one above is my own inferior handiwork, here's a close up of the much better regeneration pic.

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Charles got tested for COVID-19 displaying only mild symptoms while most everyone else requires admittance to an ICU ward before getting one.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Ah, the next one is Peter Davison, isn't it?

[edit: extra d removed]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I had to look away, Sky.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Absolutely true. Though it shouldn't be forgotten that Spanish Flu got its name because that country's monarch nearly died from it.
It's my understanding that the Spanish Flu got it's name because the other nations were suppressing news of its effects due to the war, whereas Spain was a neutral country without the same restrictions.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:Charles got tested for COVID-19 displaying only mild symptoms while most everyone else requires admittance to an ICU ward before getting one.
I should think finding out as early as possible helps ensure a better prognosis as well as helping prevent transmission to others.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thousands of 15-minute home tests for coronavirus will be delivered by Amazon to people self-isolating with symptoms or will go on sale on the high street within days, according to Public Health England (PHE), in a move that could restore many people’s lives to a semblance of pre-lockdown normality.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ithin-days" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

GetYou wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Absolutely true. Though it shouldn't be forgotten that Spanish Flu got its name because that country's monarch nearly died from it.
It's my understanding that the Spanish Flu got it's name because the other nations were suppressing news of its effects due to the war, whereas Spain was a neutral country without the same restrictions.
Yes that is also true, but it was the illness of the king that really grabbed the headlines.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:Let's all learn French and take refuge in the continental lair.
I don't know if I've ever told this story here but years ago I was friends with a couple of French women who were doing teacher training in the North East. One day we went out to Whiltley Bay for a walk when one of them, much to my utter bemusement, ran off along the beach and began repeatedly shouting fuck at a bin bag. It turned out she thought it was a seal and had been shouting 'phoque'. To this day this remains one of the funniest things I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Thought it was Corbyn's last PMQs last week, it was actually today.

Again, he did well.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Thought it was Corbyn's last PMQs last week, it was actually today.

Again, he did well.
Very well
"We can all now see that jobs that are never celebrated are absolutely essential to keep our society going. Think of the refuse workers, the supermarket shelf stackers, the delivery drivers, the cleaners, those grades of work are often dismissed as low skilled.

But I ask them this question, who are we least able to do without in a crisis? The refuse collector or the billionaire hedge fund manager? Who is actually doing more for our society at this very moment? Let’s value people for the contribution they make, respect the skill of the cleaner, the refuse worker, the postal delivery worker, all of those. Let’s have respect for those that actually are part of the glue of our society.

Right now they need our help and if we look beyond this crisis, I hope they will continue to get our respect because people we respect should not be treated the way they have been treated through the last decade of austerity."
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... a2a48a9f64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He always known how important regular people are. Not only knew it but believes it. These aren't just words to Corbyn.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Neil Coyle, people will remember Corbyn - for either good or ill. Nobody will remember you, save as a prime contender for the "worst ever Labour MP" title.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just back from a stroll and then Tesco, they're making people queue singly a couple of metres apart before getting in. Still no pasta though, at least not for the plebs. Luckily a guy I know from the Nag's Head was working and sneaked me some pasta shells and spaghetti from the 'special stash' the staff are keeping for themselves, so now I owe him a beer. It's not what you know it's who you drink with.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

My local Tesco was doing a one in one out system this morning, I suppose that is only practical in the smaller stores though.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:My local Tesco was doing a one in one out system this morning, I suppose that is only practical in the smaller stores though.
Apparently my local is doing a max of 50 people in the store.

Most of where I work has been furloughed. Gonna be me and 3 others in the office from now on. It's better than redundancy or zero hours, which would have been the options otherwise.

And I thought it was quiet the last couple of days.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tim Martin really is playing a blinder during this crisis...

JD Wetherspoon refuses to pay suppliers until lockdown ends

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... kdown-ends" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JD Wetherspoon has told its suppliers it will not pay them until pubs reopen after the coronavirus lockdown, but promised staff will get their wages beyond Friday provided the government agrees a reimbursement scheme fast enough.

As a backlash grows against its behaviour during the crisis, the pub chain confirmed that it had told firms supplying food, drinks and other services that they would not be paid until its 874 pubs were allowed to reopen.

Tim Martin, the company’s founder and chairman, had already told its 43,000 staff that could not afford to pay them after Friday.
Yeah don't worry about the fact that your suppliers might go bust eh?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
I don't know if I've ever told this story here but years ago I was friends with a couple of French women who were doing teacher training in the North East. One day we went out to Whiltley Bay for a walk when one of them, much to my utter bemusement, ran off along the beach and began repeatedly shouting fuck at a bin bag. It turned out she thought it was a seal and had been shouting 'phoque'. To this day this remains one of the funniest things I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing.
How utterly marvellous.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
How utterly marvellous.
It was the best news I've read all day.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I thought this was very good, in the guardian today (it's disappeared from the front page now but it was there earlier...)

The UK's coronavirus policy may sound scientific. It isn't
No 10 appears to be enamoured with “scientism” – things that have the cosmetic attributes of science but without its rigour. This manifests itself in the nudge group that engages in experimenting with UK citizens or applying methods from behavioural economics that fail to work outside the university – yet patronise citizens as an insult to their ancestral wisdom and risk-perception apparatus. Social science is in a “replication crisis”, where less than half the results replicate (under exact same conditions), less than a tenth can be taken seriously, and less than a hundredth translate into the real world.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Early night for me.
Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just to explain why I was going swearily mental at Youtube the other night.

I was getting repeated errors on Youtube and there are multiple threads across the internet describing the same problem such as...

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/commen ... n_youtube/

Now I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I was beginning to believe Youtube were deliberately messing with people using adblockers, then when videos on this forum stopped working I lost my shit as it were.

Then on Monday amongst all the nonsense I found one person saying 'just clear your adblocker's filter cache and it'll be fine'. And I did. And it was.

So yeah, sorry about that Youtube, you may be guilty of many things but on this occasion I was being a dumbass.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Speaking of being a dumbass I can confirm it's possible to get sunburn in March, especially if you have a shaved head and spend most of the day outside in strong sunshine without a hat or sunscreen like a complete idiot. As far as I'm aware symptoms of Coronavirus do not include the top of your head throbbing and going lobster pink.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]_mDxcDjg9P4[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Back to misery, Newsnight taking apart Matt Hancock.

Hancock claims 12,000 ventilators. Actual figure confirmed by Dept of Health 8,000 ventilators.

Hancock claims engineering companies will be producing ventilators in a matter of days. Companies involved deny this. Expert on producing ventilators says there's no way it can happen so quickly.