Friday 27th March 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
adam
First Secretary of State

Re: Friday 27th March 2020

Post by adam »

I think this is rather lovely

'We are all Edward Hopper paintings now'
With his deserted cityscapes and isolated figures, the US painter captured the loneliness and alienation of modern life. But the pandemic has given his work a terrifying new significance.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Update on shopping in Leeds.

Got to Lidl mid afternoon, a fairly short queue where people were standing nowhere near 2m apart with no supervision besides a bored looking chap ushering one in when another left. I managed to get into a minor argument with woman in front of me when she kept trying to swat a bumblebee with her purse.

No bread of any kind.
No pasta.
No rice.
No tins of tomatoes or tomato puree.

They were the only things I looked for so I don't know about the rest, I hurried knowing there were people waiting, so I ended up coming out with garlic, three bottles of wine and some camembert cheese. So my weekend's looking French.

I hate to say this but from my experience Tesco are making a much better job of this than Lidl.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So how is everyone holding up?

I must confess this is already beginning to suck, had tickets booked for a gig tonight that I'd been looking forward to, where I would have met friends, had a few drinks, enjoyed the music, had a laugh. And while I'm fully cognisant of the enormity and seriousness of the situation we all find ourselves in is it entirely selfish to feel a wee bit pissed off?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This is a good read.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/life/a319156 ... -timeline/

Just one of the things pointed out is that supermarkets only usually provide us with 60% of our food, the rest we get from restaurants, takeaways, other shops, markets etc.

So when nearly 100% of people suddenly tried to get all their food from supermarkets it was inevitable that it would result in empty shelves. Of course panic buying idiots didn't help but the capacity to deal with this was never there in the first place. An extra 40% of demand would have emptied those shelves regardless.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:This is a good read.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/life/a319156 ... -timeline/

Just one of the things pointed out is that supermarkets only usually provide us with 60% of our food, the rest we get from restaurants, takeaways, other shops, markets etc.

So when nearly 100% of people suddenly tried to get all their food from supermarkets it was inevitable that it would result in empty shelves. Of course panic buying idiots didn't help but the capacity to deal with this was never there in the first place. An extra 40% of demand would have emptied those shelves regardless.
Good point . round here the veg markets are sorely missed as we buy zillions of plants of all descriptions to feed ourselves from our own gardens . Also chicks for eggs an eating later.
Went to my (very small) town supermarket today, no tomato seeds to be found .
GRRRRRRRRR !
NN!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:So how is everyone holding up?

I must confess this is already beginning to suck, had tickets booked for a gig tonight that I'd been looking forward to, where I would have met friends, had a few drinks, enjoyed the music, had a laugh. And while I'm fully cognisant of the enormity and seriousness of the situation we all find ourselves in is it entirely selfish to feel a wee bit pissed off?
Give it sinking-in time dear Sky .

Rising exponentially at 299 today in France, and c180 in the UK .

More DEAD tomorrow . xx
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote:Went to my (very small) town supermarket today, no tomato seeds to be found .GRRRRRRRRR !
I just buy supermarket tomatoes chop them up and plant them in a pot, the seedlings I've got going are Piccolo tomatoes from Tesco. When you look on tomato growing sites they invariably claim supermarket tomatoes wont produce fruiting plants but after 2 years of having every single plant produce tomatoes I can confirm that's bollocks. I even tried the cheapest 'made up farm name' tomatoes from Tesco and they thrived even in Yorkshire climes.

My fingers are far from green and obviously I'm no master horticulturist I do think there's quite a lot of bullshit and mythologising around what is essentially shoving a plant's egg in the ground and waiting for it to do its own thing.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've grown a fig tree from a supermarket fig (don't know what any of that was about as I don't like figs and the thing made a bid for world domination) a peach tree from a peach stone, and many other things have proved successful.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote:Give it sinking-in time dear Sky .

Rising exponentially at 299 today in France, and c180 in the UK .

More DEAD tomorrow . xx
I know Froggy, I was just saying that while understanding all that it's still fine to be pissed off.

One thing's for sure, this will weed out all the genuine misanthropes who hate humanity and eschew social contact from those poseurs who've just been pretending to look cool.

I'm looking at you teenage Sky.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I remember the days when 'most played' on my iTunes showed me what kind of mood I'd been in (miserable, as a rule). Then my girls started listening to their own things rather than to things I gave them to listen to. Now other than Neil Gaiman reading 'a study in emerald' (which is top of the list and must be because I put it on to fall asleep to) the first song in 'most played' that is probably mine is, slightly astonishingly, this.

[youtube]Rm9drIwmmU4[/youtube]

And I can't remember the last timeI listened to this (and I prefer Stand and Deliver - 'So what's the point of robbery when nothing is worth taking' is pop/youth arrogance done perfectly). I wonder if it's in a marvel soundtrack somewhere and the younger one is listening.

'The younger one'. Fuck's sake,does this matter? Megan. I wonder if Megan is listening to it because as a dedicated MCU head she knows them all inside out and backwards and if it's in one of them that would be why it's there.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:I've grown a fig tree from a supermarket fig (don't know what any of that was about as I don't like figs and the thing made a bid for world domination) a peach tree from a peach stone, and many other things have proved successful.
My mate eats figs all year round, what's that all about? We're only supposed to eat them at Christmas I presume because they come from the Holy Land. Last time I was out shopping with him he was weighing up whether it was more ethical to buy figs from Iran or Saudi Arabia, he literally had a box of each in either hand like he was a set of human moral scales. Eventually he decided on the Iranian ones because they were nearly a quid cheaper.

I tried growing supermarket cucumbers last year, sliced them thinly, laid them in compost in pots. Nothing happened.

Tried again. Same result.

Read the label. 'Seedless cucumbers'.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Next one probably me but again I'm a bit surprised about this is...

[youtube]HWAcw-861Sk[/youtube]

which is a really good song but I .... ah. Okay, so I have two iPods but they're both fucked, the audio output only works on one channel, and I rarely sit and listen in an organised way from the computer, so need to look at my phone to see what I'm actually listening to all the time. Which is in the other room. Minute.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]5hEn_rEDzp0[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]kNmxbbjbKkA[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

So the most played song recently on my phone is the Japanese song from Your Name that I played on the pubthread recently, but this is second which pleases me because it's my theme tune.

[youtube]IFdBX_jn9Zg[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This is the band I missed tonight.

The ticket was only £12 and it's money already spent. I've no idea what venues and ticket agents are going to do but I'd rather it was split between the band and venue than refunded to me because I'll hopefully still be around after all this wanting to see music and so would like for there still to be bands and places they can play.

[youtube]oOXho8yVaKk[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:This is the band I missed tonight.

The ticket was only £12 and it's money already spent. I've no idea what venues and ticket agents are going to do but I'd rather it was split between the band and venue than refunded to me because I'll hopefully still be around after all this wanting to see music and so would like for there still to be bands and places they can play.

[youtube]oOXho8yVaKk[/youtube]
John Crace said an interesting thing in his weekly roundup today - he had a few opera tickets and was given the option of refund or donation - he said that if there was a sliding scale and he could donate 10 or 20% he would have done but if it's shit or bust he needs the money back.

Next most listened to

[youtube]0n7hhK7MmWg[/youtube]

(I really like this but to be honest I rarely choose what to listen to, just put on everything on random). (this idea of sharing things that I listen to to suggest that it's deliberate is therefore nonsense, obviously).

Early Bloc Party is fucking great. And very very remixable.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Do you all want to hear something nice? Me play you something nice and pleasant and uplifting?

Because I'm feeling the need for niceness.

Here goes.

[youtube]09ypwCN9FDc[/youtube]

If you liked that do yourself a favour and listen to the album.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]2R6S5CJWlco[/youtube]

[youtube]_oL-dBxvPiw[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

John Crace said an interesting thing in his weekly roundup today - he had a few opera tickets and was given the option of refund or donation - he said that if there was a sliding scale and he could donate 10 or 20% he would have done but if it's shit or bust he needs the money back.
Thing is it's money already gone and opera's not the same as small venues and bands who've just lost the last reliable source of revenue they have. Places like the Brudenell Social Club in leeds exist on a knife edge, they don't get lottery funding and charitable donations. I've got about £100 worth of tickets going through to June. If I get that back I'll just waste it on nonsense.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]rnslzVbzhSc[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I was looking for more songs but got distracted by this, which is rather good.

[youtube]DX3yHAMldXI[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Have to admit I'm not a Jam fan but that's really good.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]PwYlnf5qVDY[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]dTBMzOycMSc[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]N8cQFdFezXc[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]OY1Jw4BtUXE[/youtube]
Back in the day, sometime in the first years of this century when I wasn’t listening to anything much, somebody made me a ‘chillout’ compilation tape – I have a feeling it was just a cassette made straight from a compilation CD. I hated it, couldn’t understand or see the point at all, it was weak and wet and it went nowhere and it was somehow hookless, didn’t catch you, did nothing to draw you in deeper. Even when I wasn’t playing, it struck me as music to switch off to and disengage from and I couldn’t see the point of that at all, not even in some silly shallow way.

I don’t have a ‘chillout’ playlist, but I have a ‘floating’ one – not a list that changes, comes and goes like the tide, but a list of songs to float away with, and this I think is my favourite song on that list. I played it on here before, when it came up on random about a year ago, and I think then it was the first time I’d listened to it since forever, but it’s been an absolute regular since then. Why disengage when instead you can use and abuse music to submerge into yourself? This song lets you float on the water, but you’re not in some pool, sun shining, drink waiting on the side, you’re all at sea, and the waves rage high and deep, and there is an almost endless nothing beneath you, and there be monsters, and you will be tossed up and down and around by the passion of it all, and if you look then you may not make it out to the other side such is the terror of the experience from the inside… but keep your eyes closed, and allow the sea to take you, and trust in the run of your emotions, and you’ll eventually be tossed on some further shore somewhere, for sure, all the better for the voyage and willing yourself to repeat it.
Me blogging in 2009.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Slow down dude.

See that's what I need some educating in soul.

The music not the non existent airy fairy magical me that lives in a non specific part of my body.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

That Echobelly song also sounds awesome stoned.

And I mean AWESOME.

Just saying.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Well it's just you and me now PF, what have you got?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Well, I love this especially the shouty bits at the end. You very likely won't . .

After spending probably a couple of years looking for it on youtube (to the point where I began to doubt myself) it suddenly popped up all over the shop. Why does that happen, I wonder?

[youtube]czmws1TuB1c[/youtube]
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

adam wrote:I was looking for more songs but got distracted by this, which is rather good.
Trash Theory's really good. Binged a load of their videos recently.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Or, of course, there's always this -

[youtube]--9itpIiPXE[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I was aware of a couple of Pretty Things songs that I thought were quite good but that's just made them sound like dogshit.

Thanks PF that was genuinely superb, took a stoned lonely man to good places.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]X3W7ch0oLeA[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]j4y4asj3sjM[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]gTiDfqECtnM[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Once again PF picks it up, plays with it for a while, then knocks it out of the park.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]PucO0w-HU70[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ahhh yeah!
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

More of this please.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]Yw4lqwh5c1g[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]Z72MdO8iuWk[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]7_HeyTKfT0s[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

You'll notice a certain diminishing of cheerfulness.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]09ypwCN9FDc[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]q5LqrBgEslM[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister