Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th March 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th March 2020

Post by citizenJA »

Elements of medical
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...housing secretary Robert Jenrick alongside Dr Jenny Harris, the deputy chief medical officer for England.
---
Jenrick confirms there have been 127,737 tests, with 108,215 testing negative and 19,522 testing positive.

Of those who have contracted the virus, 1,1228 have died, he said.

The virus is indiscriminate, Jenrick added, calling for people to stay home.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 215f6fd8cf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a lot of people dead
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Harries - Six months before we can review
Paul Brand from ITV News asks Dr Harries if current measures in place will continue beyond three weeks.

She points out the UK has only had one week of the measure and that the prime minister said the situation would be "reviewed" after the three weeks.

But she adds it would be "quite dangerous" to then revert to normal life.

"If we stop then all of our efforts will be wasted," she adds.

She says that measures may be reduced gradually over time.

Dr Harries says it might be two or three months before we see the longer-term impact, and about three to six months before to see "at which point we can actually get back to normal". "And it is plausible it could go further than that", she adds.
So that headline is a bit misleading...

Asking right now how soon we can get back to normal is the equivalent of the kids asking "Are we there yet?" when turning out of your road...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:I just got snowed on while queueing outside Tesco, it was worth it though when I got to triumphantly brandish a bag of frozen peas over my head. Even managed to get tomato puree. Don't know what to cook now, so many culinary possibilities have suddenly opened up. Decisions, decisions.

The shop was surprisingly crowded, I don't know if they'd let more people in because of the early closing on Sunday but it was nigh on impossible to keep your distance.

I really fancy a risotto but the only rice I have left is cheap long grain stuff and I'm 99.9% certain that would end in disaster.
Please accept this 0.1% with the management's compliments.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:Please accept this 0.1% with the management's compliments.
Much obliged.

I'm going to try Paella instead, I think I might just about get away with it.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Nope, didn't get away with it at all, the rice barely soaked up any of the stock and while still edible to call it Paella would be an insult to an already suffering Spanish nation. Had I not made it myself I would almost certainly have thrown it out of the window to be scavenged by rats.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Clanger specials:
* beans on toast
* rice with fried tomatoes (and butter)
* peas
* tinned tomatoes on toast
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Obviously access to bread could be an issue here
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Rather than the police picking on dog walkers and Stephen Kinnock maybe they should be following a guy from my house. He's a devout Catholic and for the last two Sundays has been going to a secret mass somewhere. I asked him how many were involved and he said about 30 but for obvious reasons wouldn't tell me where it was being held. Today he went off on one about how churches being closed was a mass act of cowardice as Christians of all people shouldn't be afraid to die. I tried to explain to him that Christians spreading disease might not be such a good image but he had a funny look in his eyes so I didn't belabour the point. Other than this and voting brexit he's actually a nice guy, retired and into folk music and real ale. Had him round for drinks a few times. Not at the moment though, he can keep his contaminated god bothering arse a good two metres away from me at all times.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote:* peas
There is something truly admirable in having a single ingredient as a speciality, but I have to ask if you're including tinned peas because those are horrible.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I've got so much tomato puree. It's strange, if you buy extra stuff as you go along just in case and don't pay attention to what you actually use you can end up with some real gluts.

Pilaff - onions, sometimes carrots/celery/fennel too, some spices (cinammon, cloves, juniper, fennel seeds) , rice, stock, maybe sultanas, peas at the end. A go-to bowlfull of stuff on the side here regularly.

I couldn't get a supermarket order for next weekend - just had one, got one in a fornight, so I have a two pronged attack for the meantime to avoid actually going shopping - the cheap and cheerful way and the terribly overpriced but terribly posh and nice way. 1 is the milkman, who also delivers bread, eggs, cheese, butter and (it being the wilds of border country) bara brith. 2 is the usually just as a treat at christmas farm shop who are delivering fruit and veg, their own bread and stuff from the butchers and deli counters. I haven't seen a bill yet and I suspect a fairly small order will cost as much as a full weekly supermarket shop. Although I'm going to save about £750 not buying train tickets until sometime in the Autumn, I suspect.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:* peas
There is something truly admirable in having a single ingredient as a speciality, but I have to ask if you're including tinned peas because those are horrible.
Tinned mushy peas,though. 'Fishfingers, chips and many peas' is another staple here - tinned mushy peas, frozen peas and (in summer) french,. broad or runner beans.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I love tinned peas, carrots, and butter beans.

Tinned peas and carrots bear no resemblance to the non-tinned varieties, I just regard them as a different animal. So to speak. I thought I was, singlehandedly, the person who kept the tinned butter bean industry going. Imagine how pissed off I was when I suddenly couldn't get any.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 29 Mar, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

A Hopper a day... this is called 'Approaching a City' - I've got framed print of this one on my living room wall.

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@adam

Thank you. I did put in a request, yesterday.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:I love tinned peas, carrots, and butter beans.

Tinned peas and carrots bear no resemblance to the non-tinned varieties, I just regard them as a different animal. So to speak. I thought I was, singlehandedly, the person who kept the tinned butter bean industry going. Imagine how pissed off I was when I suddenly couldn't get any.
Simon Hopkinson says his dad loved tinned butter beans and always had some in the cupboard, usually to go with some lamb chops.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I capitalised an "i".
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Peas - as a speciality dish = frozen
I also do a cracking small bowl of tinned sweet corn (hot,in a bowl with a small knob of butter)

Tinned peas = mushy peas as follows:
A) at home - chip and mushy pea butty
B) out - vegetarian fish (battered deep fried halloumi) with chips and mushy peas - still available (as of Feb 2020) at the Friend at Hand, Russell Square
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sun 29 Mar, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

A very new speciality (as of Saturday evening) is my Marmite cocktail
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

The threat from the rise of far-right terrorism in Britain could be diminishing after Boris Johnson’s election victory because supporters of the ideology feel they are being listened to, according to a former head of MI5.
From here.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I should probably do a cookbook
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

tinyclanger2 wrote:A very new speciality (as of Saturday evening) is my Marmite cocktail
Unable to buy any peanut butter, I have a jar of marmite and peanut butter. We shall see.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Yeah tinned mushy peas are good.
battered deep fried halloumi
I think in Glasgow that's called a 'salad'.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Rather than the police picking on dog walkers and Stephen Kinnock
It takes a fair amount to get me on Kinnock Jnr's side, but plod have managed it :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I did try deep fried pizza once in Glasgow and it was pretty horrible, not I think because the concept is an entirely bad idea, I'm pretty sure you could take a slice of good pizza, batter and deep fry it and it would be great, but this was years ago and the pizza they used was the kind of thing you'd buy from an all night garage in the 90's on your way home from a club. A slice of cardboard with a thin smear of some unidentifiable pink slurry on top.

I've never seen deep fried Mars Bars in a takeaway in Scotland. I'm pretty sure they're like those schoolgirl panty dispensing machines in Japan. Almost entirely mythical.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

INteresting.

Downing Street calls in election gurus to overhaul coronavirus comms

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/ ... Zh9sOe-cLc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DeZoete used to be a SpAd at the DfE when Gove and Cummings were there.

But I noticed something a bit strange earlier and this explains it.
Downing Street has also turned to public policy and research consultancy Public First for help.

Gabriel Milland (pictured, below), a partner at the agency and a former deputy director of the Government Communications Service, has been seconded to No10’s comms team and is running focus groups to track public opinion and reaction to the government’s actions.
That'll explain why he protected his Twitter account. No change of 'outrage archaeology' happening there...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I have partaken of deep fried christmas pudding at a chippy in Padstow called “Chip Ahoy”
None of you Stein nonsense.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I should probably do a cookbook
You should.

My dad has one about making meals for £1.

Given your specialities I reckon you could undercut that by about 75%.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just eaten the last banana. (Not, I assume, the last banana on the planet but the last banana in my possession.)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I have partaken of deep fried christmas pudding at a chippy in Padstow called “Chip Ahoy”
None of you Stein nonsense.
And how was it? I really don't like Christmas pudding but I'm thinking deep fried it might be edible.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It was excellent.
The woman who ran it (this is going back a few years) tempted us to try it.
Said that when it was quiet she would batter/deep fry whatever people brought in to try.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:INteresting.

Downing Street calls in election gurus to overhaul coronavirus comms

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/ ... Zh9sOe-cLc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DeZoete used to be a SpAd at the DfE when Gove and Cummings were there.

But I noticed something a bit strange earlier and this explains it.
Downing Street has also turned to public policy and research consultancy Public First for help.

Gabriel Milland (pictured, below), a partner at the agency and a former deputy director of the Government Communications Service, has been seconded to No10’s comms team and is running focus groups to track public opinion and reaction to the government’s actions.
That'll explain why he protected his Twitter account. No change of 'outrage archaeology' happening there...
I think I've said this before, but ... chair of Labour Students at his university.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:I've just eaten the last banana. (Not, I assume, the last banana on the planet but the last banana in my possession.)
Not 'the' last banana, but 'yours' , because the Home Office Distribution Service will eventually inform us of your next delivery schedule .

I remember being in my Ma's arms queuing at the grocers in Chelmsford c1951.

In those days they called it 'rationing' .
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I watched 'The Truth about Takeaways' on the BBC and was quite surprised at some of the results.

For fat, salt and calories the two worst by a mile were pizza and Indian (I think they tested a Tikka Masala), and the best was fried chicken and chips.

If anyone had told me you'd get less fat and fewer calories from KFC compared to a Chinese takeaway with rice I'd have laughed but the evidence was incontrovertible. As soon as you start frying vegetables, even briefly, in Sesame oil, or any oil for that matter, they absorb it and their fat content increases enormously, so all those healthy peppers and spring onions, etc have suddenly become distinctly unhealthy. Whereas potatoes don't actually absorb that much oil so in relative terms chips aren't that bad.

They made some poor student labrats live on various takeaways 2 meals a day for a fortnight and needless to say in the end none of them enjoyed the experience.

Whereas a family from Rochdale who had existed almost entirely on takeaways they got to eat proper food for a fortnight and they ended up loving it, even the kids.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

My friend and I always play this on a Sunday, like a lot of hoary traditions neither of us can remember its origin.

And as I can't meet him I'm just going to shoehorn Kim Wilde in here.

[youtube]r_GH6M7cUq4[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]akzc5xuCSvg[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]g1ShlRLTGtM[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]60STLCZxI9E[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Having pandered to my maudlin tendency, I must go to bed.

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

You're going to have to forgive me PF but there was a clique of absolute wankers in my sixth form who loved Everything but the Girl and Sade and the fucking Housemartins and we didn't get on very well. I'm not one to bear grudges but these people were the worst. Sadly this continues to obscure any of the musical merits of said bands to this day. Residual wankery. I would have hated the Housemarins anyway. Quite like some Beautiful South though.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:Having pandered to my maudlin tendency.
I'll make a goth of you yet.

Night PF.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]T3B0iJQcXmk[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]NZNhsiKad18[/youtube]