Tuesday 31st March 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 31st March 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 31st March 2020

Post by PorFavor »

Bailouts are back, thanks to coronavirus. Now they must help people, not corporations
Zoe Williams
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -state-aid
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh - good morfternoon.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

This is great...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Have we had this?

Goats retake Llandudno: https://twitter.com/AndrewStuart/status ... 3288169473
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just spotted my neighbour (who has an England flag flying in his garden) is mending my shed roof. I'm touched.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

GetYou wrote:Have we had this?

Goats retake Llandudno: https://twitter.com/AndrewStuart/status ... 3288169473
Were they observing social distancing guidelines?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

More than 80 leading UK academics have written to the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, calling on him to increase child benefit to £50 per week per child to help millions of families facing a significant loss of income due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Several charities, including the Child Poverty Action Group, have called for a £10 rise in child benefit, which is £20.70 a week for the first child and £13.70 for subsequent children, to offset the financial impact of the Covid-19 outbreak.
I should think so too, asking for £10 seemed a tad unambitious.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/News/News-Assets/P ... 0.3.30.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I note that we reached 222,222 posts last night.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The post has arrived. Bitterly disappointed that there's no letter from Boris Johnson. I'd have thought that he'd have asked Dominic Cummings to lob it in the post-box on his way home.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm told that although Tesco has 2 metre distance lines, the aisles are still two-way traffic - thus making it impossible for shoppers to remain 2 metres apart as they pass one another.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The home secretary, Priti Patel, said:

Doctors, nurses and paramedics from all over the world are playing a leading role in the NHS’s efforts to tackle coronavirus and save lives. We owe them a great deal of gratitude for all that they do.

I don’t want them distracted by the visa process. That is why I have automatically extended their visas – free of charge – for a further year. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
So we're going to chew them up then spit them out, are we? That's very classy.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:I'm told that although Tesco has 2 metre distance lines, the aisles are still two-way traffic - thus making it impossible for shoppers to remain 2 metres apart as they pass one another.
Our Tesco has introduced a one way system, with people being asked to follow the arrows and ask a member of staff if they missed anything, rather than turn back. I wouldn't say it's working perfectly, and I had a half hour wait in the car park to get in, but they do appear to be trying. The local Co-op convenience store is struggling, though, as it's small and cramped and people queuing can't avoid people browsing. I might try Sainsburys later in the week, they're normally quieter, and go later in the day. Going in the morning didn't seem to mean being better stocked, I've done just as well in the evening.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The local Co-op doesn't seems to be doing much different from normal.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Ministry of Food was set up in 1939 to deal with the problem of providing a nutritionally adequate diet for people in Great Britain during the Second World War. It played an important role, being the first organisation responsible for a nutrition policy in the UK. The Ministry controlled all food supplies, food reserve stocks and distribution, and had local and regional committees to give expert information and organise the use of gardens, waste land and allotments for producing food locally.
https://www.nutrition.org.uk/nutritioni ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please find current government's equivalent department and advice linked below.
Guidance for food businesses on coronavirus (COVID-19)
Published 25 March 2020
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-covid-19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please find an example of current government guidance below.
Supermarkets need to avoid crowding and create adequate spacing between individuals.
Effective measures to support this will vary by store and location but could include:
- monitoring the number of customers within store and limiting access to avoid congestion
- implementing queue management systems to limit crowds gathering at entrances and maintain the 2 metres distance
- reminding customers to only buy what they need
Public Health England supports measures to allow safe privileged access to elderly and essential workers such as NHS and Social Care staff.
That's it. The entire UK government food guidance information resource is less than seven pages long.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
The Ministry of Food was set up in 1939 to deal with the problem of providing a nutritionally adequate diet for people in Great Britain during the Second World War. It played an important role, being the first organisation responsible for a nutrition policy in the UK. The Ministry controlled all food supplies, food reserve stocks and distribution, and had local and regional committees to give expert information and organise the use of gardens, waste land and allotments for producing food locally.
https://www.nutrition.org.uk/nutritioni ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(cJA edit)
The British Nutrition Foundation is a registered charity.
https://www.nutrition.org.uk/aboutbnf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charities, private businesses, volunteers and many underpaid, under-resourced workers are providing UK public services
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

There's no reason workers need be underpaid or inadequately protected. Charities don't have statutory obligations, government does. Charities are an inefficient public service provider. Private businesses can shut any time. Where are the distribution centres people can turn to if businesses fold?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Better news...
Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
45m45 minutes ago
More
Michael is still poorly but continuing to improve. He has been able to eat today & will be getting a more comfortable oxygen mask soon. All good signs. He does know you've all been rooting for him with this lovely wave of support. Thanks again, Emma x @Underthecranes @J0e_R0sen
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ITMA !

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ess-barrel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:ITMA !

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ess-barrel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the alt-right libertarian half-wits who were demanding the right to do what they wanted would just have to suck it up. It wasn’t that Powis objected to them killing themselves. It was them taking out the rest of us at the same time with which he had problems.
*cough* Toby Young *cough* *cough* Spiked *cough*

Why is it always the same people?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Because they are monumental ****s
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Another carer at a home in Edinburgh said he was reduced to tears last Friday, when he realised staff looking after a resident with Covid-19 were also looking after another resident, and people were coming and going from the area where the infected person was staying.

“The manager said they didn’t know what the protocol was,” he said. Staff were “a bundle of nerves” and “so stressed”, he said, adding that he had cried in the toilet in a rage about “a lack of clarity about how we should proceed with all of this”.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... cases-rise" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I cry in rage, fear and pain too, ammar.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:Because they are monumental ****s
Toby Young will always be the person who had hardly anybody turn up to his stag do - and then wrote a whiny self-pitying newspaper piece about it.

This fact will never fail to cheer me.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Tue 31 Mar, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

England's ravaged public health system just can't cope with the coronavirus

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-regional" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The government offices for the regions (GOR) were established in 1994 by John Major’s administration as outposts of central government departments. They were tasked with implementing government-funded programmes and monitoring their performance. They also had an important coordination role at times of national emergency, such as during the fuel protest crisis of 2000.

As well as doing away with the GOR as part of its spending review in 2010, the coalition also stripped the NHS of its regional management tier following the wide-ranging “reforms” of the 2012 Health and Social Care Act.

The result is the absence of any integrational, coordinating or management function at a regional level in England that could operate between Whitehall departments and the various bodies, often very local, that are charged with implementing government policy. The fact that some national bodies have adopted internal organisational boundaries that cover completely different geographical territories has also complicated the situation. This is notably and unfortunately true with respect to the key health bodies, NHS England and Public Health England.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn