Friday 3rd April 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 3rd April 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 3rd April 2020

Post by frog222 »

Toady just now.
So the 100,000 tests per day are just the antigen variety , with the antibody ones an extra ? I wasn't listening that closely , so am still not sure of the answer. Might be some over-promising still going on ?

Also Martha forgot to ask him about DIY masking to enter supermarkets pharmacies etc , as in Austria and many other countries .

Minds are publicly changing in the US, Dr Fauci and even Trump! I think it was the NY mayor “use a homemade mask or even a bandanna, but NOT a surgical mask , the medics need those .”

Lisa Nandy just pointed out that lots of people are still travelling around, going to 'work', who are not in Essential Occupations ... no respect of distancing there .

Harrowing accounts earlier on France Inter from docs in the East of France, administering 'sedatives' in EHPADs (care homes) .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

A couple of tweets from the US highlighting our direction of travel BC*, hopefully now headed off.
Katharina Pistor
@KatharinaPistor
The state in this country has been gutted. It has served as a resource for private asset holders and has outsourced most governmental functions to private actors.

What is left is a skeleton with only one functioning institution of stature - the central bank.

Chase Foster
@ChaseMFoster
Replying to
@KatharinaPistor
Your point is illustrated by the fact that the number of federal employees has stayed the same since Pres. Johnson, even as federal govt expenditures have gone up five-fold in real terms. Where is all of that money going? A lot of it to for-profit companies.

* before corona
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good *checks watch* morning all.

Hope everyone is fit and well.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Good *checks watch* morning all.
Sunhat and shirtsleeve order, what a change . Out to the garden, and then to town to pick up my order of 'DIY' face masks for the neighbours .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

IMO a pretty fair and balanced assessment of the Corbyn years from Sienna Rodgers in this morning's LabourList email.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:
Sunhat and shirtsleeve order, what a change . Out to the garden, and then to town to pick up my order of 'DIY' face masks for the neighbours .
don't forget your sunscreen
mild mineral-based sunscreen made of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide
nothing with any fragrance in it
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lovely air quality
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Yeah, that was nice. I liked that a lot.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Another jump upwards in virus deaths yesterday, after the previous day's plateau.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Has anyone been following the Alex Salmond trial?

I was staggered to read this by Craig Murray https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives ... jaccuse-2/
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Murray should always be treated with a bit of caution tbh.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Indeed, but he does present some very unique insights at times. Judging by the Daily Record's hit piece on him shortly after, he has ruffled a fair few feathers with this piece.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Which retail establishments are going to be in business following the current pandemic? Aside from grocery markets, I mean.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Who's today's MC?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Who's today's MC?
Nobody tells me
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Who's today's MC?
Nobody tells me
No - nobody tells me anything, either, but that's just par for the course.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I got the really good trail mix. Please help yourself.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Apparently, it's Matt Hancock, again. Which kind of makes sense. It's just a pity that he doesn't.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

And it's "x have, sadly, died."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm determined to hang on to pedantry.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Sad to hear of the passing of Bill Withers.

Lean On Me and Use Me were hits when I was at school.

At least I thought they were until I checked - Lean On Me #18, Use Me didn't chart.

How strange - songs that everyone would have known at the time yet weren't that successful.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

https://www.politico.com/states/florida ... mp-1271172

‘It's a sh-- sandwich': Republicans rage as Florida becomes a nightmare for Trump.

In short the current Republican incumbents are blaming the previous Republican incumbents for creating an online only application system for unemployement benefits that they admit was designed to fail to keep the numbers down.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same jokes all over . In Puerto Rico …..

14 Th Day in quarantine.

” My wife says she is working on a garden project but she didn’t specify what it is……..”
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://ovallyballssport.files.wordpres ... 540&zoom=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

from thauma !
AFinch
Backbencher

Post by AFinch »

Good evening. Hope everyone is keeping well.

This man is a member of the Labour Party:

https://thecritic.co.uk/issues/april-20 ... or-ruling/

Worrying. It is of course the very worst kind of "factionalism". Which, supposedly, we are to leave behind us.
Rule 4: Ignore party members

Punishing Burgon and Long Bailey will alienate a portion of the membership. Good. Let them return in disgust to the fringe parties where they should have been all along. Remember the words of the Tory Prime Minister A.J. Balfour: “I’d rather take advice from my valet than from the Conservative Party Conference.” Don’t fetishise party members. Any gathering of more than a handful is disproof of the notion of the wisdom of crowds. Restore party conference to its proper role — a loyal leadership rally.
[sarc]Lovely man.[/sarc].
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@AFinch

I lean towards agreeing with Rule 2, though.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Well that was depressing. Near total shambles outside Leeds Tesco caused entirely by a significant minority of simpletons struggling to grasp the concept of walking from one piece of tape on the ground to the next. There were a couple of lads trying to keep the queue organised and they were constantly having to tell various members of our genius population to either move forward (these idiots were invariably playing with their phone completely ignoring the world around them), or to stand on the tape instead of wherever they liked (I can't really explain that level of stupidity). I'm constantly amazed that thousands of people in this country don't die every day by walking into traffic or over the edge of cliffs or drowning themselves in the toilet.
AFinch
Backbencher

Post by AFinch »

PorFavor wrote:@AFinch

I think decisiveness and firmness are a vital element of leadership. Leaders who are do not possess these qualities and who are not prepared to develop them are in fact betraying those they lead but leadership is not characterised by mere ruthless domination.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AFinch wrote:

I think decisiveness and firmness are a vital element of leadership. Leaders who are do not possess these qualities and who are not prepared to develop them are in fact betraying those they lead but leadership is not characterised by mere ruthless domination.
I like the word, ruthless. It means decisive firmness using just the one word.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Well that was depressing. Near total shambles outside Leeds Tesco caused entirely by a significant minority of simpletons struggling to grasp the concept of walking from one piece of tape on the ground to the next. There were a couple of lads trying to keep the queue organised and they were constantly having to tell various members of our genius population to either move forward (these idiots were invariably playing with their phone completely ignoring the world around them), or to stand on the tape instead of wherever they liked (I can't really explain that level of stupidity). I'm constantly amazed that thousands of people in this country don't die every day by walking into traffic or over the edge of cliffs or drowning themselves in the toilet.
I can't use a device outside. I wouldn't last long.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

McTernan's gonna McTernan, I suppose. Its the same sort of stirring that had Osborne's freesheet "backing" Starmer yesterday.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

GetYou wrote:Has anyone been following the Alex Salmond trial?

I was staggered to read this by Craig Murray https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives ... jaccuse-2/
BEFORE I read it I'd given an uptick to AK for his 'health warning' on CraigMurray .

( No idea now if AK had actually read the post, which does appear unlikely, and beside the point.)

I was going to write that I'd been not 'following' but certainly keeping an eye on Craig Murray for approaching FIFTEEN years . Actually it's approaching TWENTY, FFS !

He has been a drunk, a committed womaniser, and also bipolar, all of which he has himself written about. Therefore I DO read him carefully, which is why I gave AK that 'like'. !

We here should ALL know by now to what depths , depths leading to suicides, imprisonments, destructions of reputations, elements of the political class and the Press are capable of ?

I've never been a Corbynista ( tho I would almost certainly have voted for him too, faute de mieux!), but I'd never have joined the slimy internal campaigns against him, NOR otoh ever have chanted "" OOOH JEREMY CORBYN !" . I just saw him as an interim leader, in the prayer that LP things might get better . . . and someone with more 'executive' skills, more DYNAMISM and also the magic ingredient of DEEP POLITICAL skill would replace him.

When I'm talking "deep political skill", Charles de Gaulle is a prime example . He speechified to the French in Algeria : "Je vous ai compris ", then betrayed the poor buggers ...

They tried to assassinate him a few times, but failed :D

Going back to Corbyn . Peter Oborne was right , of course .

But in that article he didn't get around to the (so-called) Anti-semitism Accusations . Since JC is the less AS-person we here can imagine, what was going on ?

As Oborne documents, lies tend to prevail ................
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Labour party members don't have Labour party enemies. It's unprofessional calling another Labour party member an enemy. It's rude and pointless.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

citizenJA wrote:Labour party members don't have Labour party enemies. It's unprofessional calling another Labour party member an enemy. It's rude and pointless.
Mr Blair had scars on his back from his Labour enemies apparently ;-)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Murray should always be treated with a bit of caution tbh.
Perhaps, but what happened to Alex Salmond was an absolute disgrace and the facts speak for themselves.

A woman accused him of rape after a meal, a meal her own friend said she was never at, in fact not only was she absent she'd called the friend to ask if she would attend in her place.

This was a colossal muck raking exercise by Police Scotland instigated at the behest of a small gaggle of people in the SNP and Scottish civil service who had it in for him.

Not a single charge stood up to scrutiny and if I were Salmond I'd be dragging some of those people through the courts now myself.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

John McTernan...sigh.

Tony Blair could feed mewling kittens into an industrial mincing machine and that twisted faced little prick McTernan would be on Newsnight claiming that kitten sausages were a good thing for the Labour Party.

I saw him interviewed last year saying he still thinks invading Iraq was both a great idea and a success. He's absolutely round the bend.

Pay him no heed.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Yes, but he was a triumph for Labour in Scotland.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:Yes, but he was a triumph for Labour in Scotland.
Oh my giddy aunt he was Jim Murphy's chief of staff, I had no idea. My flabber is well and truly gasted.

I mean I always thought Jim Murphy was a fool but that's a not being able to walk from one piece of tape on the ground to the next level of stupidity.

No wonder he lost his seat.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Yes. He was a political genius.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I am going to bring up the subject of boobs on TV so you may want to look away now if you are of a Mary Whitehouse disposition.

So in my isolation I've been bingeing on Michael Wood. And I've been going backwards in time so he gets younger and more handsome with every series. In this odyssey I've reached 'In search of the Trojan War' (see what I did there?) And in the opening sequence a woman, presumably supposed to represent Helen, has her boobs out. This was produced in 1985. You can see it here -

[youtube]CkbUQKyie_w[/youtube]

This would have been shown well before the watershed, if indeed a watershed existed in 1985, and being a teenage boy at the time I have fond memories of watching 'Holiday' which was festooned with exposed mammaries on Mediterranean beaches at about 7 pm in the evening.

So my question is; where did all the boobs go and why?

We like to think we live in a more socially liberal soceity than the Eighties but if the BBC had exposed bosoms on before 9 today there'd be uproar.
AFinch
Backbencher

Post by AFinch »

citizenJA wrote:
AFinch wrote:

I like the word, ruthless. It means decisive firmness using just the one word.
Pitiless, without compassion. Cruel.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AFinch wrote:
citizenJA wrote:---
like the word, ruthless. It means decisive firmness using just the one word.
Pitiless, without compassion. Cruel.
(cJA edit)
Action can be ruthless without being pitiless or without compassion
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Sky'sGoneOut

Lowering the tone, as I sometimes do, I've been watching "Abandoned Engineering". Eerily compelling - although I don't know how factually reliable it is. It seems ok, though.

Anyway, I don't care.
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 03 Apr, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I assure you I'm not trying to lower the tone, I'm genuinely curious as to when and why the BBC became more censorious. And why what was acceptable in 1985 is no longer acceptable today. Because as far as I can see most of Europe continues to display boobs and willies and bums as perfectly natural things, whereas sometime in the late Eighties/Early Nineties the BBC decided to ape American sensibilites.