Wednesday 8th April 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 8th April 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 8th April 2020

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Morfternoon all.

https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... -anti.html

WTF is wrong with some people?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

This morning's front page of the Sun - genuinely embarrassing.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:This morning's front page of the Sun - genuinely embarrassing.
Just seen it, oh my

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

GetYou wrote:Morfternoon all.

I saw that cartoon yesterday, disgusting.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:This morning's front page of the Sun - genuinely embarrassing.
Russell England
@RussellEngland
Replying to
@peterjukes
Works for us? He hasn't worked a full month since he became PM

* Leader in Jul, break till Sep
* Illegally prorogued parl. in Sep
* prorogued again in Oct for Queens speech
* Election campaign in Nov/Dec
* Dec/Jan in Mustique
* Bunked off for 2 weeks in Feb
* Mar - Easter recess
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Association Française de Normalisation is the French national organization for standardization and its International Organization for Standardization member body.( AFNOR ISO )

At long last the official guidance here on DIY masks, non-woven materials such as microfibre towels, layers of kitchen paper even, are recommended .

sante/les-regles-pour-fabriquer-des-masques-maison

https://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/sante/l ... tor=CS3-38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[Covid-19+%3A+les+r%C3%A8gles+pour+fabriquer+des+masques+%22maison%22%C2%A0]-143301
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:

The attempts by the "cartoonist" to justify it on Twitter subsequently are truly something else as well.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Seen that too.

:sick:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
:rock:

same here
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:

The attempts by the "cartoonist" to justify it on Twitter subsequently are truly something else as well.
Yeah, we've got serious problems. Inequality, hypocrisy, double-standards and ugly as hell anti-Semitism from Tories. The weird Johnson worship cult thing is scary too.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And meanwhile, the rumours that our PM is in a worse state than HM Govt is letting on refuse to go away......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:And meanwhile, the rumours that our PM is in a worse state than HM Govt is letting on refuse to go away......
in order to keep the attention on Johnson and not a messed up failing Tory government
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

That is one explanation.

Alternatively, the rumours are actually true.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:That is one explanation.

Alternatively, the rumours are actually true.
Not to put too fine a point on it, would Johnson's demise threaten Tory government?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It would certainly be highly destabilising at a time when we *really* don't need it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It would certainly be highly destabilising at a time when we *really* don't need it.
The man is a destabilising machine
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

In other news, Bernie Sanders has admitted defeat to Biden.

(though still far from convinced the latter will actually be the Democratic candidate in November)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

What's worse than having a suspected Coronoavirus case in your house? Having one who isn't taking it seriously because they "don't think it's what they've got". Honest to god what an utter wanker. I even did some shopping for the guy today and when I went to drop it off the door to his flat was wide open and it turned out he'd wandered out into the back garden to tend to some frogspawn he's got in a washing up bowl. He'd walked through the whole fucking house contaminating it again after we'd cleaned it all yesterday. I was FURIOUS. He came this close to getting punched.

And if that wasn't enough, earlier when I went to Tesco to get said shopping the bloke in the queue in front of me was in a fucking inflatable dinosaur costume, it extended about 6 feet behind him with back legs and a tail, he claimed this was to 'cheer people up' but who knew where that suit had been and he was obviously going to block any aisle he was in. I didn't say anything because he had his little daughter with him and I fully expected they wouldn't let him in wearing it. But of course they did. He just got waved into the shop. Leaving me arguing with the female member of staff at the door who couldn't seem to grasp what I was complaining about.

What is wrong with these people?

I was going to have a dry week but fuck that.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Priti Patel accused of avoiding MPs’ scrutiny during national crisis

Home secretary failed to reply to repeated requests to give evidence amid Covid-19 crisis (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nal-crisis
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I won't be sorry when the other half's choir practice goes back to being in a room on the other side of town, with the added bonus of musical accompaniment.

Rather than upstairs in a 'house' with no actual doors.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Neighbours from hell
It's shit
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Companies and the products they supply. Will they continue? Or will the economic contraction due to the COVID-19 virus put them out of business?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Can anyone help me out with the morbid subject of death figures?

On Newsnight the other night they pointed out the ONS figures were more than 50% higher than the National Health England figures and that deaths in this country were being underreported (not for any nefarious reason but due to methodology, need for families to be informed, etc).

Which would put us absolutely on track to be following the terrifying curve described by the IHME.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

Is that right? And if it is why does the IHME forecast seem to have been dismissed out of hand by our government advisors?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:In other news, Bernie Sanders has admitted defeat to Biden.

(though still far from convinced the latter will actually be the Democratic candidate in November)
How would that work?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Can anyone help me out with the morbid subject of death figures?

On Newsnight the other night they pointed out the ONS figures were more than 50% higher than the National Health England figures and that deaths in this country were being underreported (not for any nefarious reason but due to methodology, need for families to be informed, etc).

Which would put us absolutely on track to be following the terrifying curve described by the IHME.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

Is that right? And if it is why does the IHME forecast seem to have been dismissed out of hand by our government advisors?
I'm trying quite hard not to think about those numbers, but if I see anything that might be useful I'll link it here.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Sky'sGoneOut

From the ONS site -
Our figures are based on deaths registered in the stated period and include all deaths where “COVID-19” was mentioned on death certificates. They differ from those published by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), which are based on deaths occurring to date among hospital patients who have tested positive for COVID-19.

DHSC figures are valuable because they are available quickly and give an indication of what is happening daily. Our numbers are slower to prepare because they have to be certified by a doctor, registered and processed. But once ready, they are the most comprehensive.
Any help?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Thank's PF, so if the ONS figures are the most comprehensive, and we can see why they are in your quote, then there's a distinct possibility this is a lot worse than we're being told. Because if the rate of death is still being underreported by roughly 50% then I can't see how anyone can argue the curve predicted by the IHME is fanciful.

Their prediction for today is 1433 deaths, the Dept of Health figure for today is 938 +50% = 1407.

That looks spookily accurate to me.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

A single care home in the English county of Bedfordshire has lost 15 residents; five of whom had tested positive for Covid-19, officials say.

Public Health England (PHE) has confirmed the deaths and said it does not recommend testing new cases in care homes when some patients have already tested positive “as it will not change the public health management”.
Helping to keep the figures down won't come into consideration at all, oh no.

I have as little faith in PHE as I have in the govt. Or Vallance and SAGE, for that matter.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Chicken stew, sage and rosemary dumplings, home made bread.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

If there's one thing I'm happy about right now it's that my mum is in the care of my delinquent dad who got sent home by the police for driving miles to go for a walk then done for fly tipping garden waste over a wall on Monday rather than a care home.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]aKb0SSSGm-8[/youtube]
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

There was another Prof on C4 News tonight who still seems to think that only 'elderly' and 'vulnerable' people die, and if we 'shield' them then everything's alright.

https://www.channel4.com/news/shielding ... -woolhouse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]r26krlXFmOI[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]Lfph3043yZU[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Grace Petrie is going through the alphabet doing a song from home each day - I can't embed the videos because they're on Instagram but this is 'R' and is quite lovely.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote:Helping to keep the figures down won't come into consideration at all, oh no.

I have as little faith in PHE as I have in the govt. Or Vallance and SAGE, for that matter.
I'm beginning to suspect you're right. These people are politicians in their own fiefdoms and there are careers and honours at stake.

Why offer graphs to justify their efforts using figures they know aren't remotely accurate?

I'm not saying it's a grand conspiracy or anything of the sort, I simply think they're giving us junk information interpreted as favourably as possible because it reflects well upon them. There's a common misconception that scientists are only led by data, but any cursory glance over the history of science makes it immediately apparent that ego is every bit as important.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Anyone else decorating eggs this Easter?

I'm a traditionalist myself so it'll be eggs jammed in an old sock with a load of onion skin.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:Chicken stew, sage and rosemary dumplings, home made bread.
sage & rosemary dumplings
delicious
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
gilsey wrote:Helping to keep the figures down won't come into consideration at all, oh no.

I'm beginning to suspect you're right. These people are politicians in their own fiefdoms and there are careers and honours at stake.

Why offer graphs to justify their efforts using figures they know aren't remotely accurate?

I'm not saying it's a grand conspiracy or anything of the sort, I simply think they're giving us junk information interpreted as favourably as possible because it reflects well upon them. There's a common misconception that scientists are only led by data, but any cursory glance over the history of science makes it immediately apparent that ego is every bit as important.
Good one here --

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN21P1VF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"" On Sunday, March 1st, Ferguson, Edmunds and other advisers spent the day with NHS public health service experts trying to work out how many hospital beds and other key resources would be needed as the outbreak exploded. By now, Italian data was showing that a tenth of all infected patients needed intensive care.

The following day, pandemic modelling committee SPI-M produced its “consensus report” that warned the coronavirus was now transmitting freely in the UK. That Thursday, March 5, the first death in the UK was announced. Italy, which reached 827 deaths by March 11, ordered a national lockdown. Spain and France prepared to follow suit.

Johnson held out against stringent measures, saying he was following the advice of the government’s scientists. He asserted on March 9: “We are doing everything we can to combat this outbreak, based on the very latest scientific and medical advice.”

Indeed, the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies, SAGE, had recommended that day, with no dissension recorded in its summary, that the UK reject a China-style lockdown. SAGE decided that “implementing a subset of measures would be ideal,” according to a record of its conclusions. Tougher measures could create a “large second epidemic wave once the measures were lifted,” SAGE said.

On March 12 came a bombshell for the British public. Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, announced Britain had moved the threat to UK citizens from “moderate” to “high.” And he said the country had moved from trying to contain the disease to trying to slow its spread. New cases were not going to be tracked at all. “It is no longer necessary for us to identify every case,” he said. Only hospital cases would, in future, be tested for the virus. What had been an undisclosed policy was in the open: beyond a certain point, attempts to completely extinguish the virus would stop.

The same day, putting aside his jokey self, Johnson made a speech in Downing Street, flanked by two Union Jacks and evoking the spirit of Winston Churchill’s “darkest hour” address. He warned: “I must level with you, level with the British public - more families, many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time.”
My bedtime ! nn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, frog222.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This one's for PF's dad.

[youtube]BonWfTW7jKc[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I saw Transvision Vamp last year.

She's still got it. I think I might have been about the youngest person in the audience of about 20 people.

And it was only a fiver.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

[youtube]uNBOknvbPL8[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]OaqxIXs_mn4[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote:There was another Prof on C4 News tonight who still seems to think that only 'elderly' and 'vulnerable' people die, and if we 'shield' them then everything's alright.

https://www.channel4.com/news/shielding ... -woolhouse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Gilsey, having just watched that it's like listening to someone from a parallel universe unaware that our own Prime Minister, who we know is brimming with fight and spunk, is in intensive care.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Bit obscure this one, even at the time.

[youtube]FTrqyrdEbak[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,