Thursday 9th April 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 9th April 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 9th April 2020

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Heard a lady called Sue Martin tell her story about her husband contracting the virus and going slowly downhill in hospital - still hanging in there. Desperately sad and incredibly moving. And full marks to whoever it was that just listened and didn't interrupt.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Heard a lady called Sue Martin tell her story about her husband contracting the virus and going slowly downhill in hospital - still hanging in there. Desperately sad and incredibly moving. And full marks to whoever it was that just listened and didn't interrupt.
There are just so many articles depicting the reality for patients, family and medics that I only just got around to this one --

As an ICU doctor, I see the crisis unfold one person at a time. Here's what it looks like
Shaan Sahota

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-hospital" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then you see the police being powerless to enforce, well, just about anything --

Police chiefs call on No 10 to tighten UK coronavirus lockdown

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... k-lockdown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Get back to work, and try not to die https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52219930

They should follow the lead of their boss and just not turn up to anything, ever.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Important thread from Peter Foster, on availability of end-of-life drugs for those not in hospital.
Peter Foster
@pmdfoster

The rules at present, as summarised by Mr Hulme, require named prescription, to a named person; all drugs need to be 'counted out, counted in' and unused drugs disposed of. See link for full list of 'post Shipman controls'
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This part will surprise nobody.
Peter Foster
@pmdfoster

I spent half of yesterday trying to get a coherent response out of government, or what government plans to do, but didn't really get anywhere. Beyond admission that law does present problems, but remedy isn't to change it. So what is the remedy then?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Did we all see this from Emily Maitlis last night?

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Did we all see this from Emily Maitlis last night?

Yes, breaking the omerta to at least some degree wasn't she.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

On the other hand...

Frank Owen's Legendary Paintbrush
@WarmongerHodges
On yesterday's #Newsnight, Emily Maitlis essentially paraphrased everything Jeremy Corbyn has been saying his entire political life. Lo and behold, centrist Twitter is practically demanding Maitlis be made PM. The same people who spent the last 5 years telling Corbyn to f*ck off.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I got a letter from the children's hospital yesterday to say they've assessed my son as "high risk" so in the "shielding" category. I knew he was at higher risk, because he's on steroids at the moment but I thought he'd be moderate, like my mum who's over 70 but no underlying conditions, so could go out for a walk at least, so it came as a bit of a shock. He was not happy about it. I took a look at the "shielding" advice and it's extremely onerous and restrictive. It just brought home to me how unrealistic the government's herd immunity whilst "shielding" the most vulnerable was, really. You're talking about keeping these people almost as prisoners in their own homes for many months, maybe even a year, with restricted contact even with those who live with them because in a scenario where you let the virus spread unsupressed everyone is a potential carrier so those who are at high risk of serious illness can only be safe if living in almost total isolation. Like the boy in the plastic bubble.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:On the other hand...

@WarmongerHodges
On yesterday's #Newsnight, Emily Maitlis essentially paraphrased everything Jeremy Corbyn has been saying his entire political life. Lo and behold, centrist Twitter is practically demanding Maitlis be made PM. The same people who spent the last 5 years telling Corbyn to f*ck off.
Yes, but that goes without saying. If it turns out to be the case that Corbyn going makes some people more willing to accept leftist ways of looking at things as legitimste, that is terribly hard and indeed unjust on the man himself - but we still shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth IMO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Border guards have introduced a new process to speed up incoming shipments of medical supplies, the Home Office has said.

Critical shipments are now flagged to border force in advance by the NHS so officers can process them as soon as possible.

The Home Secretary, Priti Patel, said: “This will ensure that the NHS and frontline workers can get the equipment they need as quickly as possible so they can continue saving lives and fighting the virus”

The process has been in place since the beginning of April, the Home Office said, with Border Force working with suppliers, the NHS and HMRC to ensure all relevant shipments are flagged. (Politics Live Guardian - my emphasis)
Only in place for almost nine days, then.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

At best. And why is it being announced now if it's been going on for the time that they claim? If it's been going on since "the beginning of April", has it been flagged up now just to provide something to which Priti Patel's name can be attached?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Her almost total absence recently really is pretty odd isn't it?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:On the other hand...

@WarmongerHodges
Yes, but that goes without saying. If it turns out to be the case that Corbyn going makes some people more willing to accept leftist ways of looking at things as legitimste, that is terribly hard and indeed unjust on the man himself - but we still shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth IMO.
Corbyn strikes me as someone who doesn't care who gets credit for policies and ideas he's had and wants as long as the outcome is successful.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:At best. And why is it being announced now if it's been going on for the time that they claim? If it's been going on since "the beginning of April", has it been flagged up now just to provide something to which Priti Patel's name can be attached?
I've got a feeling 'the beginning of April' is today
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good evening, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I just saw this.
Wes Streeting MP

Verified account

@wesstreeting
Follow Follow @wesstreeting
More
After more than four years on the @CommonsTreasury Committee, I am absolutely delighted to be joining @Keir_Starmer's frontbench in @AnnelieseDodds' shadow treasury team as Shadow Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury, working with @bphillipsonMP, @DanCardenMP and @patmcfaddenmp.

5:44 PM - 9 Apr 2020
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Him, Kinnock Jnr and (especially) Phillips have surely been given junior roles on the "better pissing out of the tent than into it" principle.

I wonder if it will work.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Some good news about the PM - out of intensive care.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52238276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Some good news about the PM - out of intensive care.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52238276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, he's "in a ward", does that mean he's with the common people ? My wife had a small op in Lewisham Hospital about 45 years ago, the room had about a dozen in it . Is it still the same ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I would say "Taxi for Jenrick!" but that would create an unnecessary journey so won't...
Simon Murphy

Verified account

@murphy_simon
3h3 hours ago
More
Exclusive: Cabinet minister Robert Jenrick travelled to visit his parents at the weekend despite repeatedly urging the public to stay at home during the lockdown to curb the spread of coronavirus. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... 9-lockdown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … by @JoshHalliday and me
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Robert Jenrick
@RobertJenrick
·
1h
For clarity - my parents asked me to deliver some essentials - including medicines.

They are both self-isolating due to age and my father's medical condition and I respected social distancing rules.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Did we all see this from Emily Maitlis last night?

Yes, breaking the omerta to at least some degree wasn't she.
I liked this from Maitlis. I don't know her. What she said was accurate.

Mr citizen and I like as well as love each other but the flat seems more crowded with both of us working and living in it every day. We're more anxious. Each excursion for supplies on foot, bike or public transportation requires careful planning. It's exhausting. Everything requires washing or safe placement in quarantine.

And the neighbour from hell oh lord... . It's awful for a couple of residents, not the whole building. I appreciate the difficulty law enforcement and housing officers have but our living environment is sometimes an unpleasant place through no fault of our own. Authorities' limitations and communication failures made me cry in frustration more than once recently.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
I love you.
cJA
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Her almost total absence recently really is pretty odd isn't it?
There might be a reason:

[youtube]xk4EMBXxG5A[/youtube]

Maybe. I'm not really sure.