Easter Weekend 10th, 11th, 12th & 13th April 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Easter Weekend 10th, 11th, 12th & 13th April 2020

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Lockdown Easter
Last edited by refitman on Fri 10 Apr, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Made it the weekend
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 20th April 2020

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Social isolation not helping with underlying misanthropy
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Social isolation not helping with underlying misanthropy
Has Priti been locked down or locked away ?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd like to add my voice to your so talented government's .

I URGE you not to go to your holiday homes this weekend ;)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Lockdown Easter
Nice to have a day off work, to be honest :roll:.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:dance:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Party. On.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

The mysteriously vanishing Home Secretary needs to get a grip of this before respect for the police disappears completely.
Cambridge Police

@CambridgeCops
Follow Follow @CambridgeCops
More
Officers visited Tesco Barhill this morning as part of their patrols around supermarkets and green spaces this weekend. Good to see everyone was abiding by social distancing measures and the non essential aisles were empty. #1732
If there are lists of what are deemed 'non-essentials' then supermarkets need to be told to cordon off aisles or remove items fro the shelves.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Thread needs expanding to take in the whole Easter period, no?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Thread needs expanding to take in the whole Easter period, no?
Probably a good idea. Amended.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Easter Weekend 10th, 11th, 12th & 13th April 2020

It seems that our PM is, slowly, getting better. Maybe some day we might find out just how ill he actually was?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Party. On.
oh yeah
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... d-11971615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coronavirus: Aviation sector renews plea for government aid
On the other hand, Easter weekend sat in the sunshine in the garden eating a Cornetto without an Easyjet going over every 10 minutes is absolute bliss. I wish it didn't take global catastrophe to reduce flights to essential travel, but it does show how much CO2 is being produced in the pursuit of pleasure rather than necessity and raises some difficult questions of governments supposedly committed to tackling climate change yet still continuing to subsidise air travel and thus, in effect, cheap foreign holidays.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It seems that our PM is, slowly, getting better. Maybe some day we might find out just how ill he actually was?
My guess is that if he wasn't a VIP, he wouldn't have got medical attention until he was much worse and would have been 50:50 to pull through.

In other words, not possible to compare his illness with others reliant on NHS 111 to tell them how sick they are.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... d-11971615
Coronavirus: Aviation sector renews plea for government aid
On the other hand, Easter weekend sat in the sunshine in the garden eating a Cornetto without an Easyjet going over every 10 minutes is absolute bliss. I wish it didn't take global catastrophe to reduce flights to essential travel, but it does show how much CO2 is being produced in the pursuit of pleasure rather than necessity and raises some difficult questions of governments supposedly committed to tackling climate change yet still continuing to subsidise air travel and thus, in effect, cheap foreign holidays.
Yes, I agree with you. I like the improved air quality, relatively fewer moving motor vehicles and often less noisy environment.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Also, I wanted to make something clear I might not have on yesterday's thread regarding our challenges in high density flat dwelling getting supplies safely using public transportation. We sometimes have to go further than we can walk for necessary supplies. We're not in the South. West Midlands, the citizen household, profoundly urban area. Buses and train services currently running infrequently and the last I've read from the ONS something like a third of the population in our area don't own motor vehicles.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Is there any reason Westminster can't give local authorities what they need in order for LAs to suspend council taxes for a few months at least?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Where did that go?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Where did that go?
I thought I'd delighted you all long enough.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

As someone perplexed by the lax handling of this COVID ****er from the start, I can’t think of anything more stupid than relaxing lockdown on certain age groups in certain regions first. I suppose the thinking is that anyone over 60 doesn’t ever need to go out again. Given how little we know about this disease (see, for example, the now evolving ideas on asymptomatic carriers - ie: the very people I expect them to release from lockdown first, and the 91 cases of possible relapse reported in South Korea), words more or less fail me.

Christ.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am more impressed by NZ
AFinch
Backbencher

Post by AFinch »

Good Evening.

Share, Save and share again.
Britain And The Coronavirus: A Timeline of Failure

Despite previous claims by the government that it was well-prepared for the Coronavirus, Britain is now expected to have one of the highest death tolls in the world. In this video Aaron Bastani examines precisely what happened in recent months, and how public authorities - broadly unchallenged by the media - let a tragedy unfold.
[youtube]NQkLRuyXwOc[/youtube]
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:As someone perplexed by the lax handling of this COVID ****er from the start, I can’t think of anything more stupid than relaxing lockdown on certain age groups in certain regions first. I suppose the thinking is that anyone over 60 doesn’t ever need to go out again. Given how little we know about this disease (see, for example, the now evolving ideas on asymptomatic carriers - ie: the very people I expect them to release from lockdown first, and the 91 cases of possible relapse reported in South Korea), words more or less fail me.
Christ.
They are tightening up 'controls' here this weekend ...

So far:100,000 cops and gendarmes have controlled 9 million times to check peoples' written “Attestations” for being outside home and fined 600,000 of them for either not having one at all or abusing the system in some way .

Because there have obviously been some abuses by dumb or mistaken cops, the period for appeal has been increased from 45 to 90 days .

There's a smartphone app but I just use the written model. It certainly concentrates the mind to write it up and have it on you before going out . Even tho I live in the country and actually haven't seen a cop on my once a week sortie to one of the two neighbouring small towns!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AFinch wrote:Good Evening.

Share, Save and share again.
Britain And The Coronavirus: A Timeline of Failure

Despite previous claims by the government that it was well-prepared for the Coronavirus, Britain is now expected to have one of the highest death tolls in the world. In this video Aaron Bastani examines precisely what happened in recent months, and how public authorities - broadly unchallenged by the media - let a tragedy unfold.
---
(cJA edit)
I've pencilled the data onto a calendar and checked the timeline. I took my walk ration after seeing this I was so angry.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Blimey!

Next time anyone talks about Corbyn cultists just whip this one out...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Spanish writer spills beans on UK's saucy secrets

Guide to Britain’s array of culinary sauces lauds bread sauce but calls Branston pickle ‘a snack for drunk people’ (Guardian)
Can't agree with him about rhubarb. Otherwise, he's fairly close to the mark.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... cy-secrets
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:

Guide to Britain’s array of culinary sauces lauds bread sauce but calls Branston pickle ‘a snack for drunk people’ (Guardian)

PF Isn't this link about a million times more important than ................ sauces ?

posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=230302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway I learnt today from the Guardian that Smash is very good for thickening sauces, when you are out of flour !
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Evening people, I trust everyone is still alive and you're not all bots from beyond the grave?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

For anyone who didn't see it last night I highly recommend the Horizon special on Coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... ial-part-1

Probably the most informative thing I've watched on the subject and I got to learn that bats have super immune systems and when they fly their hearts can beat at 1000 bpm.

Which sounds like this.

[youtube]jNIZBvM_R4I[/youtube]
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:

Let's face it, he's totally right about English mustard, and yet I still find myself eating the occasional ham and mustard sandwich, in the spirit that it somehow has to be done. He's wrong about Branston pickle though. I can only assume he hasn't been eating it right - in a white bread cheese and pickle sandwich, with a packet of ready salted crisps. I can't comment on bread sauce as I've never tried it, but mint sauce is best with freshly picked mint in my experience, although that could just be childhood nostalgia. As for brown sauce, all I can say is what else are you going to put on your fried egg sandwich?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Evening people, I trust everyone is still alive and you're not all bots from beyond the grave?
oh, great. Now I've got something else to worry about. I may be a bot beyond the grave.
"I'm a mannequin. That's what I am, I'm a mannequin..."
- Marsha White
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Let's face it, he's totally right about English mustard, and yet I still find myself eating the occasional ham and mustard sandwich, in the spirit that it somehow has to be done. He's wrong about Branston pickle though. I can only assume he hasn't been eating it right - in a white bread cheese and pickle sandwich, with a packet of ready salted crisps. I can't comment on bread sauce as I've never tried it, but mint sauce is best with freshly picked mint in my experience, although that could just be childhood nostalgia. As for brown sauce, all I can say is what else are you going to put on your fried egg sandwich?
Mayonnaise
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

English mustard - Yuck, tastes like paint stripper, give me Dijon or wholegrain any day.
Branston Pickle - I used to think it was the food of the gods but has been surpassed by superior pickles. Still good though.
Bread sauce - Depends on the recipe, too many cloves it's inedible, no garlic and it's bland.
Mint sauce - Never liked the stuff out of jars but I can imagine it's nice if made with fresh mint.
Brown sauce - Essential and glorious.
Rhubarb - Bleh (mimics shoving fingers down throat).
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

US Surgeon General just taught me how to make a face mask with some cloth and two rubber bands.
How to Make a Cloth Face Covering
U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams Demonstrates How to Make A Cloth Face Covering
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote:Anyway I learnt today from the Guardian that Smash is very good for thickening sauces, when you are out of flour !
If I wanted to thicken a sauce without flour I'd simply leave it to reduce rather than making it taste of Smash, I mean I've nothing against Smash, I eat it when I'm camping, but the idea of adding it to even a basic tomato sauce sounds criminally insane.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:English mustard - Yuck, tastes like paint stripper, give me Dijon or wholegrain any day.
Branston Pickle - I used to think it was the food of the gods but has been surpassed by superior pickles. Still good though.
Bread sauce - Depends on the recipe, too many cloves it's inedible, no garlic and it's bland.
Mint sauce - Never liked the stuff out of jars but I can imagine it's nice if made with fresh mint.
Bread Sauce seems to be something I'm incapable of making so I've decided I don't like it. To be honest it only tends to turn up in meals where there's already so much going on you don't need anything else. I have some piccalilli that my other half made for me for christmas which is amazingly good.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:US Surgeon General just taught me how to make a face mask with some cloth and two rubber bands.
Perhaps a more useful demonstration would be how to make Trump a mask using a plastic bag and two rubber bands.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
citizenJA wrote:US Surgeon General just taught me how to make a face mask with some cloth and two rubber bands.
Perhaps a more useful demonstration would be how to make Trump a mask using a plastic bag and two rubber bands.
That's up next
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

adam wrote:Bread Sauce seems to be something I'm incapable of making so I've decided I don't like it. To be honest it only tends to turn up in meals where there's already so much going on you don't need anything else. I have some picalilli that my other half made for me for christmas which is amazingly good.
I've never tried to make bread sauce myself, just had it in restaraunts and pubs and it never seems to be the same thing twice, sometimes it's nice, sometimes it's bland, sometimes it's revolting. I think the clove ratio plays a big part in that, but if somebody were to say to me I could never eat bread sauce again I think a shrug and a 'meh' would suffice.

A good picallili however is heaven and I hate cauliflower in any other form.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:English mustard - Yuck, tastes like paint stripper, give me Dijon or wholegrain any day.
It is, the other trick is to use something more subtle than malt vinegar as that can drown the mint taste out.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Sweet chilli sauce?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Branston pickle is an abomination. But please don't let me put you off . . .
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This is an abomination.

[youtube]Sc2m4w9h0cw[/youtube]

Branston Pickle is just a pickle.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

NHS workers angered at Hancock's warning not to overuse PPE

Health secretary says protective equipment should be treated like ‘precious resource’ (Guardian)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... veruse-ppe
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

It's health and safety gone mad.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Sweet chilli sauce?
Something I find close to addictive :?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

For anyone else guiltily enjoying this peace and quiet and slower way of life I was sitting up last night reading with the window open and I suddenly realised I could hear nothing, not a car, no shouting in the distance, just blissful silence. And what it reminded me of was staying up in the Hebrides. So maybe if we all club together after this we could buy one of them. I mean yeah sure we all pretend to be poor here but let's be real, I'm on benefits and have been for years so I've obviously been raking it in, last time I looked The Mail claimed I was worth 2 million at least. I'm sure if we all clubbed together we could at least afford the Isle of Muck.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:For anyone else guiltily enjoying this peace and quiet and slower way of life I was sitting up last night reading with the window open and I suddenly realised I could hear nothing, not a car, no shouting in the distance, just blissful silence. And what it reminded me of was staying up in the Hebrides. So maybe if we all club together after this we could buy one of them. I mean yeah sure we all pretend to be poor here but let's be real, I'm on benefits and have been for years so I've obviously been raking it in, last time I looked The Mail claimed I was worth 2 million at least. I'm sure if we all clubbed together we could at least afford the Isle of Muck.
I'm in.
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I need some sleep now.
I love you.
Goodnight, everyone.
cJA