Wednesday 15th April 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 15th April 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 15th April 2020

Post by Willow904 »

Morning all.

I'm currently in the queue for the pharmacy. This could take some time! We really have been lucky with the weather. I'm not sure I'm going to like this very much in the rain, but with the sun shining and the birds singing it's not a completely unenjoyable break from a normally hectic life.

Edited to add, it would, of course, be utterly mind numbingly boring without mobile connection, mind!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

"Andy Burnham
@AndyBurnhamGM
At my press briefing later, I will address the change in @RishiSunak’s approach from “you will not be forgotten” a few weeks ago to “we can’t protect every household” yesterday. National unity is what will get us through this. And that is built by looking after everyone fairly.
10:51 AM · Apr 15, 2020"

I've noticed the change in tone as well. Good that Burnham has picked up on it. Saying one thing and doing another has worked well so far for Boris and co but not so much with this pandemic with their promises for more PPE, more testing etc actually being followed up by the press and found wanting. So now we're moving to Plan B and the gradual nudge towards lower expectations and it's really important the opposition calls them out on this and resist it as we can't rely on the media to unfortunately.
Last edited by Willow904 on Wed 15 Apr, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

In everyday parlance there is ( well, certainly used to be ! ) an expression "shower of shit" , which is apposite to describe the lack of quality and achievement of this UK government in just about any sphere except misinformation and disinformation.

Gosh. I'd really like to see a LOTO who was able to call them just " a shower " , and elaborate on it, leaving the hearers to understand EXACTLY his/her contempt for the bunch of criminal incompetents holding office at the mom.

Emily Thornberry has form, could show her opinion that way. Most of the others can only say lots of words , getting no headlines ...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There are various ways of expressing such sentiments in public. The late and still lamented John Smith knew how to do it without even hinting at any naughty words :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There are various ways of expressing such sentiments in public. The late and still lamented John Smith knew how to do it without even hinting at any naughty words :)
But he's been gone a looong time . Perhaps a hint of naughty is one of the very few things which might possibly get the English media going .... !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It appears that both Starmer and Rayner are doing a Q&A session with Labour members (remotely, of course) later today.

I wonder what they might get asked about......
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning/Afternoon (it's still before lunch for me)

Well...
lisa o'carroll

Verified account

@lisaocarroll
Follow Follow @lisaocarroll
More
NEW: 6 charter flights from Romania to bring in 450 workers for British farms tomorrow - BBC WATO news reporting

1:06 PM - 15 Apr 2020
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Hmmm, I thought we were going to get all those spoiled feckless students to do it?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

450 won't go very far, but I suppose the establishment must have its asparagus.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

They'll be staying a while, shouldn't think Romania will let them back in anytime soon.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I thought it was pensioners? Or the 'economically inactive' like me and RoT :)

Seriously, though, did anyone really think leaving the EU was about reducing immigration as opposed to reducing immigrant rights.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

My guess is that Starmer's thinking on ending lockdown is on the same lines as this thread, but he's going to have to be a bit more specific to make the point given the media's tolerance of govt obfuscation.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phil Syrpis
@syrpis
The pressure to lift the lockdown is growing. Case rates will start to fall. But unless the Govt has both the capacity to test/trace at huge scale, and also a detailed plan for how that will work, there can be no exit strategy.

I wonder if anyone at all has confidence that the govt is working on this behind the scenes.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

gilsey wrote:
I wonder if anyone at all has confidence that the govt is working on this behind the scenes.
Maybe that's what Starmer is trying to find out - at least they could say "yes, we're working on the stages of easing the lockdown even though we can't say when that will be."

A suitable analogy...where I worked we had a complicated production system, with lots of storage tanks, processes etc.

Shutdown (planned or unplanned) and startup had to be done in stages - you couldn't simply shut everything off - tanks had to be emptied first before going onto the next bit. So it was all to a set plan.

I can't imagine they'll just say "Right, open everything up - everybody back to work and back to normal."
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Piers Morgan
@piersmorgan
One thing that's surely obvious from my excruciating
@GMB
exchanges with Care minister Helen Whately today is that she is completely out of her depth & should be replaced by a heavyweight minister who can better handle the mounting & devastating care home #coronavirus crisis.
'heavyweight minister'

If you didn't laugh you'd cry.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morfternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
gilsey wrote:
---
I can't imagine they'll just say "Right, open everything up - everybody back to work and back to normal."
(cJA edit)
I think they might, Roger.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The likes of Toby Young actually might, I can't imagine the government doing so given how much they have claimed to be following "the science".
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

With apologies if these have been linked to aleady, Afua Hirsch and Paul Mason's 'Covid Report' are very good - 40 minute (ish) videos of a range of very well informed people discussing things. They are here
I still believe in a town called Hope
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Still no HindleA?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky has been in regular contact with him, maybe ask next time they show up on here?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

adam wrote:With apologies if these have been linked to aleady, Afua Hirsch and Paul Mason's 'Covid Report' are very good - 40 minute (ish) videos of a range of very well informed people discussing things. They are here
Thanks Adam, this one from yesterday is extremely good --

It is 30 minutes. If in doubt... check out the comments, then you Will watch it !
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:Still no HindleA?
Mr citizen and I haven't had success reaching HindleA yet.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

No, nothing to report here, either.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

adam wrote:With apologies if these have been linked to aleady, Afua Hirsch and Paul Mason's 'Covid Report' are very good - 40 minute (ish) videos of a range of very well informed people discussing things. They are here
Whereas this, well, this is the opposite: https://twitter.com/TPMLiveWire/status/ ... 8326501377

I can't believe we've had 18 previous attempts to sort this out and not succeeded :wall:
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Sky has been in regular contact with him, maybe ask next time they show up on here?
I've tried all avenues of communication at my disposal including his home and mobile numbers to no avail. Mobile goes straight to voicemail so it's turned off. When was the last time anyone saw him here?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ITMA !

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... igger-mode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"" clivewill 7m ago
Bojo’s social care plan has been revealed to be geronticide. If enough of us crusties die there will be care home places for whoever is left. ""

Herd culled !
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

WWE wrestling deemed an 'essential service' in Florida.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52285742

I demand the return of World of Sport and Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Kendo Nagasaki. (sp?)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

One of my favourite memories of 'watching' live 'sport' was being chased across the arena by Crybaby Cooper after he was disqualified from a bout.
I still believe in a town called Hope
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://worldgravywrestling.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm wondering if anyone still has any faith in the advisors flanking the minister of the day?

Even Tom Newton Dunn yesterday was wondering why they were showing a graph of figures that weren't remotely comparable, and when asked if there was anything they regretted in the way the virus has been handled so far Whitty simply burbled a load of 'it's too soon to tell' nonsense, while the Irish sounding lady (apologies I know neither her name nor job) dodged the question with a load of platitudinous bollocks.

If Scotland can make the effort to at least try to work out what percentage of deaths are occuring in care homes why not England? Is it a lack of resources or a lack of will? Because as soon as you add care home deaths like Germany, France and Ireland are doing that utterly misleading graph is going to look a whole lot worse, and closer to reality.

I understand that high profile careers and reputations are at stake here, and of course that should concern us all, but maybe, just maybe being told the truth in the middle of a pandemic is a tiny bit more important.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Sky has been in regular contact with him, maybe ask next time they show up on here?
I've tried all avenues of communication at my disposal including his home and mobile numbers to no avail. Mobile goes straight to voicemail so it's turned off. When was the last time anyone saw him here?
Ah well, that is a shame.

Genuinely hope that he is OK, especially given that in one of his most recent posts here he was not optimistic about avoiding this wretched virus.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok so is it safe to say nobody has seen Hindle posting here since the lockdown began?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

That would be better if the contestants had to wrestle dressed as vegetables or roast beef or a chicken breast.

In fact why not just bring back 'It's a Knockout'?

Without Stuart Hall of course.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:I'm wondering if anyone still has any faith in the advisors flanking the minister of the day?

Even Tom Newton Dunn yesterday was wondering why they were showing a graph of figures that weren't remotely comparable, and when asked if there was anything they regretted in the way the virus has been handled so far Whitty simply burbled a load of 'it's too soon to tell' nonsense, while the Irish sounding lady (apologies I know neither her name nor job) dodged the question with a load of platitudinous bollocks.

If Scotland can make the effort to at least try to work out what percentage of deaths are occuring in care homes why not England? Is it a lack of resources or a lack of will? Because as soon as you add care home deaths like Germany, France and Ireland are doing that utterly misleading graph is going to look a whole lot worse, and closer to reality.

I understand that high profile careers and reputations are at stake here, and of course that should concern us all, but maybe, just maybe being told the truth in the middle of a pandemic is a tiny bit more important.
Lack of will, unless by lack of resources you mean lack of intelligent ministers.

Watch the Covid Report adam referred to earlier, these are the sort of people we need to be hearing from.

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Ok so is it safe to say nobody has seen Hindle posting here since the lockdown began?
22 March last day
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:
Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Ok so is it safe to say nobody has seen Hindle posting here since the lockdown began?
22 March last day
Thank you CJA. This is good news.

You see I'm trying to narrow the time of Hindle's last posting here down because if it coincides with the lockdown then he's probably at his mother's house. I'm sure he won't mind me telling you all* that he'd given up work at the beginning of the year to care for his mother, so there's every possibility he's isolated himself there and forgotten his phone charger. It wouldn't be the first time he's forgotten it and as an explanation it both makes sense and is considerably more appealing than any alternative.

*This is an outright lie, but under the circumstances and all that.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So let's look at the facts shall we?

(Tries to decide which detective he wants to be, considers Holmes but not a fan of opium, opts for Miss Marple).

Fact 1 - CJA last sees HindleA active online on the 22'nd March 2020.

Fact 2 - Lockdown begins 23'rd March 2020

Fact 3 - HindleA caring for mother commuting between his and her house.

fact 4 - HindleA known to be quite capable of forgetting his phone never mind the charger.

Conclusion - HindleA is in all probability isolating himself at his mum's house and his left his mobile at home.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Thank you, Mr Gradgrind.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I've never read a Dickens novel in my life.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]vE2JM31wnm0[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:I've never read a Dickens novel in my life.
I didn't read Dickens until I was in my mid-thirties.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I love you all.
I need some sleep.
Goodnight, everyone.
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

To be fair I was simply working through the evidence to reassure myself.

I have been known to make mistakes.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]3wIBynEROEw[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]S5UBYOv1G9A[/youtube]
PorFavor