Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th April 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th April 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Re: Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th April 2020

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good morning all

Although, it is clearly not as good a morning as I would wish as I have just heard the sad news about Mr Hindle. A true gent and stalwart of this forum - quirky and charming in his own inimitable way

My sympathies with his family and friends and I will raise a glass to his memory - he may only have been an 'online' friend but in reality that is but a detail!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Hello everyone.

I am so sorry to hear about Adrian - he was such a nice man and I'm sure you will all miss him very much. Sending hugs to those who need them.

When his wife died, we entered into an email correspondence that went on for some time. We talked about illness a lot, and I told him that when I was poorly and stuck in bed I absolutely insisted on smelling nice, and that my favourite thing was Chanel 19.
He offered to buy me a bottle, but I declined, mainly because it is ruinously expensive and it didn't seem right. He never forgot - ever Christmas and birthday he sent me an email asking if I'd changed my mind and could he treat me to a bottle. So kind.

I know many of you will be feeling very bereft. Please accept my heartfelt condolences, and don't forget to turn that page......x
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Sincere condolences all, Adrian lived quite close to me but sadly I never got to meet him personally, he has offered me help regarding social care issues in the past and kept in touch now and then online. A nice guy who will be missed.

Rest in peace. Adrian.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

sky wrote
How is it fair that he's dead when there are so many arseholes in this world?
I'm finding it hard to take in the awful news about Hindle. We miss him here and it will be devastating for his family and friends irl, I'm so sorry.

Thanks to sky for his reminiscences last night.

I think he did once post a picture here of him finishing a race, a while ago now.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I think Peter Foster's finally cracked. For your own sanity, you may not wish to read the whole thread.
Peter Foster
@pmdfoster
Over the last week I've had SO many conversations with docs and experts that remind of the conversations I had with logisticians, port operators, customs clearers over #Brexit.

Expert people TEARING their hair out at the willful numbskullery of the people at the top. /20

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MsChin
Backbencher

Post by MsChin »

So sorry to hear about Adrian. I'm lost for words.
xx
AFinch
Backbencher

Post by AFinch »

I knew Hindle personally too. I was not as close to him as SkysGoneOut, I don't think. I'm still cathcing myself thinking "it can't be".

Sky's description of him is spot on.

He was a one off but essentially a kind loving soul. I will miss him.

My condolences to everyone here and to his family.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

That was a lovely description by Sky .

And very much as I had imagined him , a bundle of energy, originality, and kindness .

Love XX
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I'm somebody who never knew him save on here (and of course CiF in the "old days") But I also feel somewhat bereft today.

Its hard to believe we will never see his inimitable streams of consciousness on here again.

RIP, old bean.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
thaumaturge
Backbencher

Post by thaumaturge »

So sorry to hear the sad news about Hindle. Condolences to his family and friends, including those here who knew him well. xx
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:I think Peter Foster's finally cracked. For your own sanity, you may not wish to read the whole thread.
Peter Foster
@pmdfoster
Over the last week I've had SO many conversations with docs and experts that remind of the conversations I had with logisticians, port operators, customs clearers over #Brexit.

Expert people TEARING their hair out at the willful numbskullery of the people at the top. /20

Suspect we are going to see the widespread (and tbf understandable) reluctance to openly criticise the government erode before too long.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:I think Peter Foster's finally cracked. For your own sanity, you may not wish to read the whole thread.
Peter Foster
@pmdfoster
Suspect we are going to see the widespread (and tbf understandable) reluctance to openly criticise the government erode before too long.
Well AK, any reluctance to criticise was only EVER on the 'optics' of it , as I think you'll agree ?
The whole thread is well worth a look, with the brilliant ThreadReader --
https://threader.app/thread/1251434219139665920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Point18 is good too, the government was saved partly because CPAP's helped a surprising number of cases to get better, so there wasn't a huge lack of ventilators ...
and also many people died at home , including NHS staff after a day at work ...
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Hello all.

Such sad news yesterday. HindleA will be sorely missed. Such an incredibly difficult time for his friends and family, made so much worse by this pandemic. Something I've had a little experience of myself, being unable to attend my sister-in-law's funeral earlier this month due to the lockdown restrictions only allowing 10 people at the crematorium. And I believe HindleA's brother is currently living abroad so I can't imagine what a difficult time this must be for him and other family members. My thoughts are with them.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Many thanks to friends loved and dear hiking a different trail but meeting us here today.
:rock:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Many thanks to friends loved and dear hiking a different trail but meeting us here today.
Yes, always good to hear from old comrades (in every sense of that term)

Anybody in touch with ohso and yahyah these days?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Many thanks to friends loved and dear hiking a different trail but meeting us here today.

Ohso is active over at Ephe's place. Yahyah I don't know.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've had the pleasure of meeting and visiting with HindleA and Sky. Mr citizen posts on this thread now and then using a different name. Everyone's safety and security are as important to me as my own. I didn't realise at the time of registration relationships cultivated here would grow into the loving, safe, real community they've become for me. I think I help you too. We come and go a bit. That's fine. I'm uneasy away for too long. The care you've shown for my safety over the years led me caring about yours and your families' and friends'. I've made an apostrophe blunder. If PorFavor will have the goodness tearing herself away from the gaieties of her country place's amusements during lockdown, I'd be grateful to her for correcting my punctuation and grammar. HindleA left us before we had the pleasure of an introduction to his family. He's long been known of by members of our family. The opportunity wasn't there. Or was it laziness? I really don't know. I'll think it over and learn from it.

I woke remembering the final messages I'd recently exchanged with HindleA, about three weeks old. I've read and re-read them today. I'm sorry our geographical distance and other circumstances prevented me having nothing more than words to give him. Thin, unsatisfactory words I wrote HindleA, completely inadequate for conveying my love for him or for easing his pain. I forgive myself and having learned from it, will do better for myself and friends now. Stay close to those you love. Keep the connection open safely. Ask for what you need. Consider risking causing inadvertent offence rather than letting a crucial, successful intervention go undone. Sincere apologies and tactfully stepping aside can fix that but letting someone slip away when they could've been saved can't be reconciled. Use caution, of course. Trust your gut.

"...the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is...everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
---
You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here."

Sky reminded me of HindleA's Kermit on yesterday's thread. It pierced me through, not seeing Kermit again, Tarquin, all the others. I don't wish to intrude upon HindleA's family. I don't feel I've a sufficient right to attempt contact. I've no social media contact for them. It's an especially difficult time for them. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, if you can but don't make yourself uncomfortable.

I've seen the HindleA condolences website. I didn't know they existed until now.

I didn't know I'd write all this when I started it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Would be nice if she dropped in here to show her appreciation of AH, then.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I rang the funeral directors and they kindly agreed to pass on my contact details to Adrian's family.

Not sure if I'll get a response as besides Adrian I only knew his mum who has dementia and kept forgetting who I was.

If I do hear anything back of course I'll let you all know.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

So sorry to read the sad news about HindleA. He will be sorely missed. Condolences to his family and friends, including all here.
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Sky’s right. It’s not fair. Not fair at all.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
refitman wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Would be nice if she dropped in here to show her appreciation of AH, then.

I don't know whether she knows yet, AK. We haven't seen her at WNTT today.

There are other people there who have expressed their sadness at the loss of HindleA.

There are some who won't come here again. That doesn't mean they didn't appreciate him.

Citizen JA - what a lovely post upthread. I thank you for it.

Sky and all - you'll be in my thoughts and meditations.
My sister died 2 weeks ago. I really DO know how you feel.

Stay well, folks. Keep safe. Goodnight.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Good to hear, ephe.

Just to be clear I meant about the best wishes for AH from the "other place", not your sister - I am so sorry to hear that.

Take care :heart:
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Sat 18 Apr, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

This is pretty damning.

Coronavirus: 38 days when Britain sleepwalked into disaster
new

Boris Johnson skipped five Cobra meetings on the virus, calls to order protective gear were ignored and scientists’ warnings fell on deaf ears. Failings in February may have cost thousands of lives

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@ephemerid
Sorry to hear about your sister. It really is an awful time to be bereaved, whatever the cause of death. All the usual things we rely on to help us through such times have been turned upside down by the lockdown and fear of contagion. I hope you at least are/were able to attend the funeral.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:@ephemerid
Sorry to hear about your sister. It really is an awful time to be bereaved, whatever the cause of death. All the usual things we rely on to help us through such times have been turned upside down by the lockdown and fear of contagion. I hope you at least are/were able to attend the funeral.
I hope Willow will allow me to use these words to express my own feelings, Ephemerid. I love my sisters dearly and can't imagine being without them. Makes my heart ache thinking of it.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

citizenJA wrote:
I hope Willow will allow me to use these words to express my own feelings, Ephemerid. I love my sisters dearly and can't imagine being without them. Makes my heart ache thinking of it.

Thank you both. There will be no funeral.
But there will be a thumping great party when all this is over.

Goodnight.
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

I misread AK’s comment on HindleA’s “inimitable stream of consciousness” above as “interminable...”, which, of course, it was. Part of the charm. My respects to the man and his family, as well as all here who counted him as a friend.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Thank you both. There will be no funeral.
But there will be a thumping great party when all this is over.

Goodnight.
Goodnight, it's good to see you. Please stay well and give my love to those you love.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've always associated the word ruthless with tenacity, steadfast, resolute, determined and staunch.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:I've always associated the word ruthless with tenacity, steadfast, resolute, determined and staunch.
And brilliant children's books.
In her first appearance in Swallows and Amazons, Peggy reveals that "Nancy" is itself a nickname derived from her affection for pirates: her real name is Ruth, which she changed to Nancy after her Uncle Jim pointed out that pirates are "ruthless."
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Single-mindedness in purpose
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

In what I would imagine is pure coincidence given that ST story, the Telegraph has the headline of:

Boris Johnson starts to take back control

Some might quibble at the use of "back" which presupposes that he ever had control before.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Is there any chance that more than about 5 world leaders could get some kind of an understanding of epidemiology?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:Is there any chance that more than about 5 world leaders could get some kind of an understanding of epidemiology?
I'm guessing that this is a QTWTAIN?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Probably
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Morning ! Easterly wind, 10° . Left my tomato seedlings outside, bad idea or not ?

Listening now to R4 after the French earlier . Awaiting mention of today's Sunday Times massacre of the Clown Government ... zzzz !

Robbie Gibb ( Theresa May man ... ) -- Media only asking 'blame game' questions in the Number Ten meedja thingies .

RG "" poll last week, public esteem lowest for media"

RG criticises comment " at best careless, at worst negligent" when BoJo became ill ...

Well, Johnson's behaviour is all there on video, and his repeated 'holidays' are well-documented .

"Taking 'back' control ", HAHAHA! :clap: :clap: :clap:
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

BBC R4 Broadcasting House . 9.48 to 9.51 on the Sunday Times article .

Esther Rantzen --"Brilliant piece"
Maria Mc ??? -- " Johnson missed 5 COBRA meetings"
Lionel Barber (ex FT Ed ) -- " the government and the PM MISSING IN ACTION"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Morning.

So the knives are out for Johnson. The Sunday Times article is now out from behind the paywall and it's pretty damning:

https://archive.is/20200418182037/https ... -hq3b9tlgh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meanwhile calls for a full, independent inquiry are growing. We were prepared for a pandemic and we did have stockpiles of PPE, so what happened?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sarah May
@Sarah_May1
There isn't a single person in Britain who is surprised that he was lazy and led by advisors with unpalatable ideology at the time when we actually needed a prime minister. The question is, why is the Times deserting him, and can we keep Murdoch from appointing somone even worse?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:Sarah May
@Sarah_May1
There isn't a single person in Britain who is surprised that he was lazy and led by advisors with unpalatable ideology at the time when we actually needed a prime minister. The question is, why is the Times deserting him, and can we keep Murdoch from appointing somone even worse?
The answer according to the Sunday Times is Gove...this has always been about the Barclays Telegraph/Johnson vs Murdoch Times/Gove.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

That's if there actually is someone worse. This is Johnson's first thoughts on learning of a deadly global pandemic:

PoliticsJOE :geek: @PoliticsJOE_UK
"That is a smoking gun." - @peterjukes
In a speech earlier this year, Boris Johnson argues the UK could make a profit by avoiding lockdown.
There's a video in the link which is worth watching if you can.

And it's true, isn't it? Johnson never really took a decision to lockdown. He was happy to allow sporting events to continue. It was actually sporting bodies who decided they needed to cancel events to protect sportspeople and spectators. And Johnson was determined to keep schools open, only changing his mind when forced to when headteachers started to close schools due to lack of staff, thankfully before the government was able to pass legislation to force lower staff to pupil ratios. Not to mention many inessential jobs continue even now with very different levels of success in hygiene and social distancing. What are the odds, if he hadn't fallen ill, that he would now be excitedly vying with Trump to be the first out of lockdown?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Would Gove be worse?

Worse to have someone actively trying to kill us or someone just letting it happen because he's too idle to do anything about it, what a choice.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Then again, the competition for worst human being among Tory ministers remains depressingly tight:

Tim Walker
@ThatTimWalker
Tim Shipman, the Sunday Times’ political editor, remains predictably well-informed about what Michael Gove says in secret meetings. Gove’s now ‘chairing discussions on the long-term options’ and he’s pro-death. ‘Run this hot’ means lifting lockdown while #COVID19 still deadly.
I'll have to fire up the desktop to share the pictured text. Hancock still standing out somewhat as not a complete psychopath.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And in other news, it wasn't until I'd been up a couple of hours that I remembered that it was mine and 'er indoors anniversary - 34 years!

Call from the oncology specialist the other day and 'er indoors is now on a course of tablets with surgery planned for July (they'd do it now but there's something going on right now that makes it not such a great idea). Tumour marker was going up again so they did a scan and worked out what bit they could easily remove. Fortunately she's in far better shape than last time so not too worried about it.

She's not allowed to work though even though she dearly wants to so is getting a little bored.

PTO
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Sun 19 Apr, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.