Wednesday, 22nd April 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Wednesday, 22nd April 2020

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday, 22nd April 2020

Post by PorFavor »

Delayed plane carrying PPE from Turkey lands in UK (Guardian)
I thought that there were meant to be at least two planeloads.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

So...all those interviews being done with people at home, and I guess this was inevitable really...

https://twitter.com/BCredibility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bookcase Credibility

@BCredibility
Follow Follow @BCredibility
More
Liam Fox (DFDS) has gone big and poses in front of a bookcase in his avi. The bold grab at credibility is somewhat undermined by the hardback copy of The Da Vinci Code. That, political biographies and a book about crime suggest politics, knavery and bullshit.
:lol:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Revealed: Private firm running UK PPE stockpile was sold in middle of pandemic
the saga is likely to put a spotlight on the UK government’s decision to outsource the management of the emergency stockpile. In three years, the stockpile appears to have been stored in three different warehouses. Meanwhile, management of the stock has been passed from a German–owned multinational to an American one.
Last edited by gilsey on Wed 22 Apr, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:
Delayed plane carrying PPE from Turkey lands in UK (Guardian)
I thought that there were meant to be at least two planeloads.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
Three I think, but not all at once.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Motorboating enthusiast Richard Branson is playing a particularly idiosyncratic game of Monopoly. He would like to mortgage his private Caribbean island. In return, you, the taxpayer, have to buy him Mayfair and Park Lane, all the greens, all the yellows, all the reds, and stick a hotel on every one of them. Also, if Richard lands on Super Tax or Income Tax he doesn’t pay them. And if he gets the Community Chest saying “pay hospital fees”, he refuses and sues the hospital. The only bright side is that he no longer operates out of any of the stations.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... on-bailout

She puts it better that I could yesterday :toss:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

GetYou wrote:
Motorboating enthusiast Richard Branson is playing a particularly idiosyncratic game of Monopoly. He would like to mortgage his private Caribbean island. In return, you, the taxpayer, have to buy him Mayfair and Park Lane, all the greens, all the yellows, all the reds, and stick a hotel on every one of them. Also, if Richard lands on Super Tax or Income Tax he doesn’t pay them. And if he gets the Community Chest saying “pay hospital fees”, he refuses and sues the hospital. The only bright side is that he no longer operates out of any of the stations.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... on-bailout

She puts it better that I could yesterday :toss:
No comments allowed on that one, wonder why?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Another insufferably bright, beautiful day
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Plane with PPE from Turkey has landed in UK, minister confirms
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
took government more effort than a god damn moon landing
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The first PMQs for Starmer today.......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The first PMQs for Starmer today.......
Johnson is recovering and in good spirits, according to Raab.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

You might think we would see something of him, if he is doing that well?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Following on from RO'T reference to bookcases earlier
Phil BC
@philbc3
What is going on with Chris Grayling's curtains? Like something out of Tales of the Unexpected.
Have to take our amusement where we can get it these days.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

£ but you get the idea.

Military appalled by planning fiasco over NHS protective kit
Military personnel have criticised the NHS for its “appalling” handling of distributing personal protective equipment. The armed forces are helping with the distribution of equipment and staff have been seconded to help planning across seven hubs.

A senior army source lambasted the health service for its logistics for PPE, alleging that masks, aprons, gloves and other items were being assigned to hospitals without regard to relative need, leading to oversupply in some areas and shortages in others.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Nearly Legal
@nearlylegal
“Bone gets disconnected before he can finish.” Huge advantages of a virtual parliament become apparent.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:You might think we would see something of him, if he is doing that well?
I'd rather vacuum than see Johnson but I understand your point.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Quiet again, innit?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Quiet again, innit?
I got to keep PorFavor amused, don't I.
That and cleaning the house tuckers me out.

Was Starmer good, do you think? I haven't caught up with news yet and don't know how it went.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hello
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I hope it’s OK to say this, but I keep missing HindleA
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:I hope it’s OK to say this, but I keep missing HindleA
Oh its absolutely fine to say it. We all miss him, and will for some time to come.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:

Was Starmer good, do you think? I haven't caught up with news yet and don't know how it went.
Crace

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -140013292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“” I did like the “I didn’t need correcting” and “I’ll ask again next week, please have the figures”

Gunning for you. PUNK !
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Say it as often as you feel the need.

Before HindleA left us, I used to think and laugh about things he'd said and written all the time. I'd think of what he'd say or do. I'd talk about HindleA with Mr citizen. That's what I'm like, it's a feature of my imagination, education, life experience. It's painful knowing I'll never see HindleA again. I'll never see Kermit, Tarquin, the pictures, his books, collections HindleA and his spouse had together and that HindleA had shared with me. It's painful knowing it's gone forever. The love of him remains. He'll live in my conversation and imagination forever.

I've moved around all my life; meeting and leaving friends isn't new for me. I'm consciously changing patterns of a lifetime over the last ten years or so. Apart from my continued close relationship with my youngest sister, my closest friends are people I've met and known over the last decade.

A chance meeting with someone I'd not had contact with for a long time caused a trauma for me after my having asked for news about a lovely young person I'd imagined doing great things. They'd not realised how long I'd been away, knowing no news. "Come on, cJA, you remember she died at sixteen; intoxicated friend driving the car...". I still keenly feel that pain. I was alone in it. Others had learned of it at the time, grieved and moved on. I felt it like a physical blow.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hancock's department 'warned No 10' not to publicise PPE shipment

Exclusive: Department of Health ‘strongly advised’ Robert Jenrick not to make promise but was overruled, sources say (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... e-shipment
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

frog222 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Crace
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -140013292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“” I did like the “I didn’t need correcting” and “I’ll ask again next week, please have the figures”
Gunning for you. PUNK !
Here's hoping that Starmer REALLY is a hard bastard (AKA normal human fucking being) and he nails the brxitpartyTory wankers hides to any nearby surface .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:
Hancock's department 'warned No 10' not to publicise PPE shipment
Exclusive: Department of Health ‘strongly advised’ Robert Jenrick not to make promise but was overruled, sources say (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... e-shipment
All quite believable !
'ancock hasn't covered himself in glory ... with 'objectives' everyone noes are rubbish , but as JCrace displays, he's not 100% lacking in anything approaching to humanity .

Unlike Raab, Patel, and those other governmental nonentities whose names NOW NOW escape me !
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok so this is probably not going to make me sound cool but early this afternoon I found a pissed up old drunk grasping a huge bottle of tramp cider on the front steps of my house. It was about 1 o'clock and he was completely shitfaced and wearing pyjama bottoms and slippers. He assured me he would be 'no bother' and seemed to be enjoying our garden and the butterflies so I left him to it while I went inside to make some coffee. When I took the coffee outside to keep an eye on him a bizarre conversation ensued about whether I liked Cyndi Lauper or not and he began singing 'True Colours' while attempting to dance. At this point I thought he was harmless, but I live next door to a park so have a lot of people wandering by to walk dogs etc and he began shouting and swearing at these passers by. I warned him if he didn't stop I was going to kick his arse back out onto the street and he seemed to acquiesce for a while until a couple of young Asian girls went by and he shouted what can only be described as disgusting lewd and racist abuse at them. I had to run out and apologise before telling him to fuck off but he wasn't having it and came out with all sorts of crap about how he was going to pour petrol through the letterbox and burn the house down. I obviously didn't want to go anywhere near him to physically get rid so I went round the back and got a spade I'd been using and threatened to smash his head in with it. This proved sufficient motivation for him to leave.

He was probably in his mid fifties but looked like a wizened old goblin. I'm all for helping the homeless and the destitute but when they sit uninvited outside my front door and shout racist, sexual abuse at teenage girls I'm afraid I'm not going to ring a charity.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]Z1jP94zk7oI[/youtube]
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Ok so this is probably not going to make me sound cool but early this afternoon I found a pissed up old drunk grasping a huge bottle of tramp cider on the front steps of my house. It was about 1 o'clock and he was completely shitfaced and wearing pyjama bottoms and slippers. He assured me he would be 'no bother' and seemed to be enjoying our garden and the butterflies so I left him to it while I went inside to make some coffee. When I took the coffee outside to keep an eye on him a bizarre conversation ensued about whether I liked Cyndi Lauper or not and he began singing 'True Colours' while attempting to dance. At this point I thought he was harmless, but I live next door to a park so have a lot of people wandering by to walk dogs etc and he began shouting and swearing at these passers by. I warned him if he didn't stop I was going to kick his arse back out onto the street and he seemed to acquiesce for a while until a couple of young Asian girls went by and he shouted what can only be described as disgusting lewd and racist abuse at them. I had to run out and apologise before telling him to fuck off but he wasn't having it and came out with all sorts of crap about how he was going to pour petrol through the letterbox and burn the house down. I obviously didn't want to go anywhere near him to physically get rid so I went round the back and got a spade I'd been using and threatened to smash his head in with it. This proved sufficient motivation for him to leave.

He was probably in his mid fifties but looked like a wizened old goblin. I'm all for helping the homeless and the destitute but when they sit uninvited outside my front door and shout racist, sexual abuse at teenage girls I'm afraid I'm not going to ring a charity.
Oh dear indeed !
Being a simple soul , ex-Army in 1966, I'd have been tempted to use the spade for him to dig his own grave, and then invited him to peacefully lie down ...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@frog222
was that fear on Raab's face while Starmer was talking
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Sky'sGoneOut
You were defending yourself and your house.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:@Sky'sGoneOut
And the people passing by.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I admire Philip Pullman's characters Will Parry and Malcolm Polstead. Neither seek violence, both are murderers.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Of course it's ok to say, I'll miss him for the rest of my life. He was one of us and the place won't be the same without him.

I could offer some stiff upper lip nonsense but we all know that would be bollocks. One of us has died and it's really fucking sad and it's going to take a while before we come to terms with it. If we ever do because I'm not convinced 'closure' is even a thing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:
And the people passing by.
Yes, exactly.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Sky'sGoneOut

"Closure" is a word used by people who'd otherwise say, "That's enough, now, thanks."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:@Sky'sGoneOut

"Closure" is a word used by people who'd otherwise say, "That's enough, now, thanks."
I think it has its place.

That isn't every other sentence, however.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

As Adam says it was more the passers by, but I live in an area that has a large British Asian population so I guess it could be said I was defending myself and my house because having someone shouting racist sexual abuse could have had serious repercussions.

But that wasn't what I was thinking at the time. I just wanted him to fuck off.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Anyone surprised that the 1922 Committee want to kill us all?
Nicholas Watt
@nicholaswatt
Break: I am told that a very tense meeting of the executive of the Conservative backbench committee 1922 has just concluded. Every Tory MP at the meeting and every MP who dialled in expressed deep concern at the impact of the lockdown on business
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Scaling up our testing programmes
Department of Health and Social Care
Published 04 April 2020
The Government is setting the challenge to itself and to the whole system - industry, academia, the NHS - to immediately scale up our testing levels to 100,000 tests a day from all five pillars of the strategy, across the UK by the end of this month. This is a huge ambition. Currently, we are delivering around 10,000 swab tests per day. And we will continue to scale up our ambition beyond this to 250,000 tests a day from all five pillars. We will work collaboratively with each nation, allocating targets and tests to meet their specific needs.

This is an evolving document that will develop as we learn more about the virus, and as we progress the work under the five pillars...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... rategy.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would you look at this horseshit
today's Guardian politics live blog below the line someone asked reasonably enough
where are the public testing sites
likely enough a Tory backbencher with a childish user name responded
if only someone had thought of a method of searching for information on the internet
I used the Internet looking for the information
My results are the reason the anonymous Tory backbencher didn't link anything
The ambition pdf is as good as it got
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I think it's a word originally used by Californian psychiatrists to make money. It's snake oil bullshit.

I've no idea what evolutionary advantage grief affords us but it's evidently important to our survival as we all feel it and it never fully goes away, over time it dimishes into the background but it's still there, a song or a smell and all of a sudden its back. Not as intensely but enough to remind you of how you felt. Maybe it's reminding us not to do what hominid Hindle did that day when he tried scavenging that gazelle carcass before the lions were finished with it.

But one thing's for sure, there's no magic end to it, it stays with you for the rest of your life and wishing it away with 'closure' is as childish as believing Hindle is now in heaven with the best lasagne ever cooked.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Welp, this might have backfired on Peston :dance: :clap:

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:

I think it's a word originally used by Californian psychiatrists to make money. It's snake oil bullshit.

I've no idea what evolutionary advantage grief affords us but it's evidently important to our survival as we all feel it and it never fully goes away, over time it dimishes into the background but it's still there, a song or a smell and all of a sudden its back. Not as intensely but enough to remind you of how you felt. Maybe it's reminding us not to do what hominid Hindle did that day when he tried scavenging that gazelle carcass before the lions were finished with it.

But one thing's for sure, there's no magic end to it, it stays with you for the rest of your life and wishing it away with 'closure' is as childish as believing Hindle is now in heaven with the best lasagne ever cooked.
I think of closure as a business or legal thing, not a word suitable for physical and psychological injury. It won't be like it never happened. Everyone's different, everyone's experience of trauma different.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote:Welp, this might have backfired on Peston :dance: :clap:

Robert Peston is everything that is wrong with political journalism in this country, he's beholden to his sources and afraid to piss them off, as Peter Oborne explained he's a client journalist, a court reporter, a useful idiot.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:Anyone surprised that the 1922 Committee want to kill us all?
Nicholas Watt
@nicholaswatt
Break: I am told that a very tense meeting of the executive of the Conservative backbench committee 1922 has just concluded. Every Tory MP at the meeting and every MP who dialled in expressed deep concern at the impact of the lockdown on business
'You mean these people are going to expect safe housing, healthcare, food, utilities throughout the duration of this pandemic?'
they said to each other
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:I think of closure as a business or legal thing, not a word suitable for physical and psychological injury. It won't be like it never happened. Everyone's different, everyone's experience of trauma different.
Are we all that different? I know that sounds a ridiculous question but I bet if I dropped a ten pound note you couldn't catch it. Our reaction times are all roughly the same, we are all made of the same stuff. Much of it heavy elements produced by supernovas and neutron star collisions. How fucking amazing is that? If you asked an octopus how different other humans were they might actually agree because they squirt people they don't like.

Of course everyone's experience of trauma is different, but my point is we're not that different, not only from other perspectives but from our own. I mean if what you were suggesting were true then the entire wellness industry would be bollocks and basing our whole mental health strategy on it would be a big mistake.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]2yPqOLNvy-k[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]1nik3ccW6yI[/youtube]