Wednesday 27th May 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 27th May 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 27th May 2020

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I think Boothby Graffoe sums up what's happening quite well.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

creative expression is powerful medicine
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

This and the one underneath is probably the reason that so many Tory MPs want rid of Cummings. Why would you want someone controlling the government you serve in when he pretty much thinks all of you are useless and a waste of space?

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

refitman wrote:I think Boothby Graffoe sums up what's happening quite well.

That's very good.

This one's a bit more high-brow.

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Morning all. Thanks for the songs, they have perked me up a bit.

I take it you have all seen Paddy McGuiness' effort yesterday? It's a bit more low brow!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Yes, saw that one. :)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

This and the one underneath is probably the reason that so many Tory MPs want rid of Cummings. Why would you want someone controlling the government you serve in when he pretty much thinks all of you are useless and a waste of space?

It's quite apparent that he thinks we're all a waste of space.

What does it tell you if the only person he has any respect for is Gove?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

If he doesn't have any for Sunak, despite their having worked together, I suppose that says something too. Though I'm not sure precisely what :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Cummings spectacle is doing what it was meant to do
control where people focus energy, anxiety, anger
preposterous story keeps attention distracted

UK's mortality rate one of the highest in the world
government failed in their primary function
government continue failing in their primary function
all government cares about is maintaining their control, nothing more
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Are people looking toward government expecting assistance, responsible action? Serious question. I think people have been indoctrinated to regard government as something that's just there, outrageous and demonstrably incompetent. But in leadership. Are people demanding government change before more people die?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Cummings spectacle is doing what it was meant to do
Really not convinced by this.

I think they are sufficiently out of touch that Johnson genuinely thought backing him to the hilt on Sunday would end the matter.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

27 May 2020 total-death-covid-19.jpg
27 May 2020 total-death-covid-19.jpg (38.36 KiB) Viewed 11834 times
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/tota ... RT~ESP~GBR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The Cummings story isn't a distraction. It's fundamental to the whole mishandling of the coronavirus crisis, underlining what was already suspected - that the government has failed to limit the spread and impact of the virus because they failed to take a very real and potent threat to the health of the nation seriously enough.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G liveblog:
The schools minister, Nick Gibb, has told MPs it is “difficult to say” whether the government’s ambition for primary schools to reopen to all pupils this summer term will be met.

He told the education select committee that the final decision on the wider reopening of primary schools before September will depend on whether transmission rates continue to decline.

The prime minister, Boris Johnson, is pushing for pupils in reception, year one and year six at English primaries to return from 1 June, to be followed soon after by other years.
The thing is, they haven't even made a decision about R, yr1 and yr6 yet. I got an e-mail from the kids academy this morning saying they have been preparing for June 1st but have been told the final decision won't be made until tomorrow, the 28th, which is rather short notice to say the least. I'd be curious to know what parents of children in those years feel about the way this is being handled and the way in which the 5 tests which were supposed to dictate when it would be safe to ease lockdown measures don't appear to apply to either teachers or them and their children. Saying further children can only return if cases are sufficiently declining raises serious questions about why any children should be returning until this is the case.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
West Midlands police and crime commissioner David Jamieson said officers are reporting people breaking lockdown rules and using Dominic Cummings as an excuse, amid fears Boris Johnson’s key aide’s actions are undermining the government’s public health messaging. (Politics Live, Guardian)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:The Cummings story isn't a distraction. It's fundamental to the whole mishandling of the coronavirus crisis, underlining what was already suspected - that the government has failed to limit the spread and impact of the virus because they failed to take a very real and potent threat to the health of the nation seriously enough.
Yes, if this business makes their general handling of the pandemic toxic for the government - then they are in real bother.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:If he doesn't have any for Sunak, despite their having worked together, I suppose that says something too. Though I'm not sure precisely what :)
Sunak is a creep.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:The Cummings story isn't a distraction. It's fundamental to the whole mishandling of the coronavirus crisis, underlining what was already suspected - that the government has failed to limit the spread and impact of the virus because they failed to take a very real and potent threat to the health of the nation seriously enough.
I was suggesting it as a conspiracy theory sort of thing. I shouldn't have attributed cunning when it's more government failure. :oops:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Yes, if this business makes their general handling of the pandemic toxic for the government - then they are in real bother.
Our boiler was serviced this am, Cummings wasn't mentioned by the repair man, his first comment was that it was time we got back to normal. Quite clear from the conversation that the UK excess death numbers hadn't got through to him. 'Might be a bit more' than other countries. Most of the people dying in care homes would have died anyway.

Made me sad, actually.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

citizenJA wrote:
I was suggesting it as a conspiracy theory sort of thing. I shouldn't have attributed cunning when it's more government failure. :oops:
I don't think they're above appropriating a PR shambles as a distraction, making the best of a bad job.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
yes, please. Worst possible government for a pandemic. Madness. I hope I'm around a couple decades from now reading accounts of it while responsibly governed.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:---
Our boiler was serviced this am, Cummings wasn't mentioned by the repair man, his first comment was that it was time we got back to normal. Quite clear from the conversation that the UK excess death numbers hadn't got through to him. 'Might be a bit more' than other countries. Most of the people dying in care homes would have died anyway.

Made me sad, actually.
:smack:
damn it
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
I don't think they're above appropriating a PR shambles as a distraction, making the best of a bad job.
What's the PR shambles costing this government? I'm not argumentative for the sake of it. They don't care. Most UK peoples could vanish and this government would be fine with that.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Is anyone here watching Boris Johnson? Not impressive. Or even half-way coherent.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Made me sad, actually.
He may have felt differently if it had been his mum or dad who had died prematurely, though, as quite a few Tory MPs are now discovering as they go through their constituency e-mails.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bloody hell.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Made me sad, actually.
Such people are however a minority, according to the polling (yes, I know)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I hate to say it but there were some good questions from Jeremy Hunt.

Though it makes his time as Health Secretary even worse in a way as he's clearly capable of running the department and the NHS well, so he must have made an active choice not to!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]TiA5WjaVCbs[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

At least Matt Hancock doesn't have a hard act to follow.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Beth Rigby
@BethRigby
PM has just said “I’m not giving you a deadline right now. I have been forbidden from announcing any more targets”
By whom? He’s the *actual prime minister*
4:44 PM · May 27, 2020
WTF?! :shock:
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

https://twitter.com/fant1345/status/1265635471520137217

Just about sums up where we are.
I'd love to be in New Zealand right now.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Willow904 wrote:
Beth Rigby
@BethRigby
PM has just said “I’m not giving you a deadline right now. I have been forbidden from announcing any more targets”
By whom? He’s the *actual prime minister*
4:44 PM · May 27, 2020
WTF?! :shock:
Liz getting involved, must be :oops:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Should I be strongly aspirating my h's or not?
I'm overwrought.
the air smells of a tire bonfire
should I delete this post?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

channelling HindleA
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

People with cancer, liver disease or severe asthma have been dropped from the UK government’s coronavirus shielding list by text message before their doctors have been able to speak to them.

The decision to remove people with various health conditions from the shielding programme has caused upset. The text also informed people they would no longer qualify for government food parcels.

Many who received the messages last Friday believed they were fake. But the government has since confirmed the texts are correct and are official government communications.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... lding-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/05/26/the- ... t-century/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice bit here from EmilyIsobel this morning --

" The government simply hasn’t got any clue about the way schools actually operate and how it could be made to work. It would make more sense to repeat this school year for all students from September and put the school and university starting age back a year. It would better prepare current year 13s for university and would give both schools and universities more chance to work on a better model for a mix of online and face to face teaching. Research departments could still operate in universities with government funding and current 3rd year students would be able to take more time to get their degrees completed, especially considering the graduate job market is currently in disarray.

The government needs to work on ensuring that there isn’t a second peak, which will be inevitable if there is a rush back to normal- saying it will have to be a ‘new normal’ whilst there isn’t the time to make major organisational changes to make a new normal possible will just end up with a complete disaster. ""

More thinking than the supposed PM has put into the future of education ...

or anything else .
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/ ... gs-remarks

Emily Maitlis replaced for Newsnight episode after Cummings remarks.

This is sickening.

I saw the 'offending' section and all she did was provide an introduction to a piece that backed up every single thing she said, including the fact that Cummings broke the lockdown rules no matter how you look at it. And now she's being reprimanded?

What an absolute fucking joke.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So let's just review where we are.

Political advisor known for lying transparently lies to nation.
Prime Minister known for lying transparently lies to nation to defend him.
Journalist tells the truth about this backed up by factual evidence and is reprimanded by the state broadcaster which issues an apology.

In what fucked up banana republic did this happen? Why brexit Britian of course, that magical utopia where Unicorns abound and we're all free from the malign influence of unelected bureaucrats.

I'd be laughing if I wasn't spitting so many feathers.

And to all those unhappy brexit voters who think Cummings should be fired (more than half of them according to the polls) I think I'm going to scrawl 'I told you so' across my bare arse, take a picture, then have it psychically projected straight into your stupid fucking heads. You idiots.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: And to all those unhappy brexit voters who think Cummings should be fired (more than half of them according to the polls) I think I'm going to scrawl 'I told you so' across my bare arse, take a picture, then have it psychically projected straight into your stupid fucking heads.
Do it. It's your civic duty.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Not only reprimanded, but 'replaced' .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm going to try to get some sleep now.
Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote: He may have felt differently if it had been his mum or dad who had died prematurely, though
I'm sure he would, that's what made me sad, he didn't much care as long as it didn't directly affect him. Natural tory voter I suppose.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I watched the David Allen Green video on the FT so yoiu don't have to - it's a 25 minute long line by line takedown of Cumming's statement which makes it very clear that it's legally drafted witness statement which admits only precisely what was already unquestionably in the public domain - his very good description is that 'it seeks to explain or explain away the evidence'.
I still believe in a town called Hope
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Pinned Tweet
Daniel Kawczynski@DKShrewsbury

I had to decline Newsnight interview last night on Mr Cummings as I find
@maitlis
to be extraordinarily aggressive,unnecessarily rude, biased & confrontational to point of intimidation. This behaviour would not be tolerated in any normal workplace so why do we accept from #BBC
8:53 PM · May 27, 2020
I thought that was only when she interviewed Barry Gardiner. ;)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote:
" The government simply hasn’t got any clue
That's it.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

WOOHOO ! Hole in ONE !

This begins at 5 minutes, at 7.20 Jenkin begins to put the boot in . Watched till minute 12.

Jenkin, a headmaster with a " VERY naughty boy" !

[youtube]pl7yoje9iXI[/youtube]
Last edited by frog222 on Wed 27 May, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

gilsey wrote:
Pinned Tweet
Daniel Kawczynski@DKShrewsbury

I had to decline Newsnight interview last night on Mr Cummings as I find
@maitlis
to be extraordinarily aggressive,unnecessarily rude, biased & confrontational to point of intimidation. This behaviour would not be tolerated in any normal workplace so why do we accept from #BBC
8:53 PM · May 27, 2020
I thought that was only when she interviewed Barry Gardiner. ;)
He went on 'I'd rather be appearing on a platform with European neo-fascists'.
I still believe in a town called Hope