Monday 1st June 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 1st June 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 1st June 2020

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

And what a fine day it is!

'Er indoors now has permission to go outside so we're taking a walk this afternoon in the park. First time out - apart from car journeys for scans - since the back end of March.

Blood test this morning though and then appointment next week to find out the latest.

And in related news...
david allen green
@davidallengreen
The legal philosopher Dworkin once posited the ideal judge, "Hercules", who would identify every legal rule and principle applicable for any given case

But even Dworkin's ideal judge would fail with the chaotic state of law and guidance coronavirus now in England
8:55 AM · Jun 1, 2020·TweetDeck
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Quite.
Richard Rickwood
@rickwookie
How odd that the entire “media scrum” outside Dominic Cummings house at the end of March, that was so bad he felt he had to leave for Durham, failed to spot him leaving. It’s almost as if they weren’t actually there at all.
8:57 AM · Jun 1, 2020 from Saint Albans, East·Twitter for iPhone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

So, any signs of this "world beating" virus tracking system that the PM promised us would be ready for today?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Bookcase Credibility has nearly 88k twitter followers, it's reasonable to assume that Alok Sharma isn't one of them.

https://twitter.com/BCredibility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:So, any signs of this "world beating" virus tracking system that the PM promised us would be ready for today?
Last night a fox looked up at my window and gave me a reassuring nod before trotting off
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I think that's as good as it's going to get with Johnson's government in charge
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

edited to explain my browser crashed
I didn't see my post duplicated after having restarted it
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 01 Jun, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well, that's nice.

Banning hunting remains a real achievement of the last Labour government.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well, that's nice.

Banning hunting remains a real achievement of the last Labour government.
The night Theresa May lost the Tory majority, the foxes celebrated.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Suffice to sat that JRM's ideas about MPs attending/voting aren't being greeted with that much enthusiasm.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:I think that's as good as it's going to get with Johnson's government in charge
You can say that again ;)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I think that's as good as it's going to get with Johnson's government in charge
You can say that again ;)
Thank you!
:D
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Public trust in UK government over coronavirus falls sharply

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ls-sharply" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to surveys conducted on behalf of the University of Oxford’s Reuters Institute by YouGov, less than half of Britons now trust the Westminster government to provide correct information on the pandemic – down from more than two-thirds of the public in mid-April.

“I have never in 10 years of research in this area seen a drop in trust like what we have seen for the UK government in the course of six weeks,” said the institute’s director, Rasmus Kleis Nielsen.
Shocked etc.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Those complaining that the "Starmer surge" isn't big enough in our polling might take a look at New Zealand - the first poll since the opposition National party changed their leader shows them dropping by four per cent, and Labour 30 (!!) points ahead :D
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

It's interesting that this isn't just about Cummings. Trust was dropping before then, and although there's nothing in the article that particularly explains why I can't help but notice that the fall in confidence has happened since Johnson resumed the reins.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Press release
Government launches NHS Test and Trace service
---
How NHS Test and Trace works for those contacted if you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for coronavirus

alert: You will be alerted by the NHS Test and Trace service if you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for coronavirus. The alert will come either by text or email and you’ll need to log on to the NHS Test and Trace website, which is the easiest way for you and the service to communicate with each other – but, if not, a trained call handler will talk you through what you need to do. Under 18s will get a phone call and a parent or guardian will be asked to give permission for the call to continue.
---
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... ce-service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How not to inspire confidence in government's test and trace service launch
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hancock, the health secretary, said that the latest daily figure for the number of UK coronavirus deaths, at 111, was “the lowest figure since lockdown began on 23 March”. But the figure is only this low because some coronavirus deaths added to the overall total have been treated as historic additions, not new additions (ie, they have been added to previous totals, not yesterday’s.)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... f971c8db60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
life is difficult enough without being obliged to pick our way through government's chronic misleading sophistry
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

total-deaths-covid-19_1 June 2020.jpg
total-deaths-covid-19_1 June 2020.jpg (92.33 KiB) Viewed 9103 times
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/ ... RC~ITA~JPN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Hancock, the health secretary, said that the latest daily figure for the number of UK coronavirus deaths, at 111, was “the lowest figure since lockdown began on 23 March”. But the figure is only this low because some coronavirus deaths added to the overall total have been treated as historic additions, not new additions (ie, they have been added to previous totals, not yesterday’s.)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... f971c8db60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
life is difficult enough without being obliged to pick our way through government's chronic misleading sophistry
This is a change to the way the data is recorded as of today. I tried to make sense of it, but can't. We've been announcing all the newly confirmed deaths on a daily basis for some time on the understanding not all the deaths occurred the previous day. Now, though, there seems to be a substantial number dating back which weren't "announced" at the time and aren't being "announced" now either. Feels more like an omission than a change of method, somehow.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

UK leadership's inadequacy is in the image of six different countries' cumulative COVID-19 deaths to date
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Q: GPs have said they have been inundated by complaints from worried patients who don’t understand why the shielding advice has been changed so quickly.

Hancock says this is important for people. People do not realise how demanding staying at home was for people. So, when the scientific advice changed, it was important to publicise this.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 22eca53850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

elements of medical, everyone
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I suddenly remembered today that one plan to deal with the virus that maintained both the economy and the NHS was a cycle of unlock and lockdown. Is that what they’re doing? Can anyone remember what that model was called so I can look it up?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

People don't realise how demanding staying at home was for people
- Matt Hancock

laughing uncontrollably now
visions of Matt singing Emotional Rescue
how horrid is that
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

citizenJA wrote:People don't realise how demanding staying at home was for people
- Matt Hancock

how horrid is that
In my experience people were happy to do the safe thing and the right thing until Cummings screwed the pooch.

I went up to my local park on Saturday, as I realised I had a vitamin D deficiency.
Fecking carnage. I've never seen it so busy.
It was impossible to keep a safe distance from people.
Repeat across the whole country and whoops apocalypse.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

GetYou wrote:
citizenJA wrote:People don't realise how demanding staying at home was for people
- Matt Hancock

how horrid is that
In my experience people were happy to do the safe thing and the right thing until Cummings screwed the pooch.

I went up to my local park on Saturday, as I realised I had a vitamin D deficiency.
Fecking carnage. I've never seen it so busy.
It was impossible to keep a safe distance from people.
Repeat across the whole country and whoops apocalypse.
It's scary, isn't it? Look what this government is doing. We've got a virus running through the population we've no cure for, no vaccine for. Isolating helps prevent getting infected with it. Very easy to understand. Science hasn't changed.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I suddenly remembered today that one plan to deal with the virus that maintained both the economy and the NHS was a cycle of unlock and lockdown. Is that what they’re doing? Can anyone remember what that model was called so I can look it up?
Was it something government thought up or did it come from a reputable source?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

It was pretty busy at one of our local, usually quiet, beauty spot yesterday when we went for our walk. All the parking and the permissive path were closed off because the previous 2 weekends people had been partying and leaving rubbish, apparently some idiot had said what a nice place it was, on facebook.

I eventually figured out that one of the reasons there's so many out and about is because the pubs are closed. Sitting in a beer garden seems to be a lot of people's idea of a good way to spend a sunny afternoon, in normal times. The local retail park is always busier on a nice day as well, for some reason, shopping's another 'leisure activity' ruled out.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Is that what they’re doing?
I don't know what's scarier, the idea that this is all some kind of plan, or that they're making it up as they go along.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Richard Murphy
@RichardJMurphy
More than 400 Covid deaths were suddenly backdated today to reduce the daily reported death count. That's because if they had been reported as before they'd have shown an upturn in UK deaths as lockdown was being released

Actually the graph he's retweeting shows an upturn in deaths in England.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Inzamam Rashid
@inzyrashid
BREAKING: Whitehall sources tell me
@PHE_uk
review into BAME ppl disproportionately being affected by #COVID19 is delayed for 2nd time because No 10 is “worried about current global events”. They say it’s in “too close proximity” to the #BlackLivesMatterUK protests. More
@SkyNews
10:09 PM · Jun 1, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
I noticed the other day that after all the fuss about Trevor Phillips being connected with this report when it was commissioned, it turns out that he didn't contribute anything.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Apparently the govt will whip its MPs tomorrow to vote for its motion abolishing remote voting on the basis that it is essential for govt business to restore in person sittings, & that a vote for the procedure committee amendments is a vote against getting Brexit done...