Tuesday 2nd September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 2nd September 2014

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Labour lead at 1 point on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / Sunday Times results 1st September -

Con 34%, (+2)
Lab 35%, (-1)
LD 7%, (no change)
UKIP 14%; (-2)

APP -23 (+2)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 2nd September 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning. Thank you refitman for the update on the GoDaddy webhost difficulties affecting this and other sites recently.

Cameron seems to be making a complete hash of his measures to clamp down on those engaging in jihadi activities ....
David Cameron shelves move to ban British jihadis returning to UK
Political and legal opposition forces PM to back down on key elements of plan to counteract Islamic State terrorist threat

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/01/anti-terror-policy-legal-political-opposition-jihadis-uk
Just listening to Nick Clegg gulping his way through a R4 interview - pretending they are a responsible, fully functioning government in their responses to the jihadi / terrorism 'threat'. He's not convincing. But he's also in an invidious place because Cameron clearly announced some measures that are probably illegal - and certainly unworkable. What does he think would happen to those refused reentry into the UK after being in Iraq, Syria or elsewhere re jihadi activities? Does Cameron want our very own Guantanamo - a huge detention centre set up outside the UK? Do they just float back into jihadi circles and get more radicalised and alienated? It's nonsense.

But what worries me even more is something that someone else (I think Technical Ephemera?) raised yesterday. Cameron appears to be saying he doesn't need to get parliamentary assent for engaging in military action in Iraq / Syria ... he can just tell them afterwards. Terrifying and wrong - really wrong - if so.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Tue 02 Sep, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From the Guardian tickertape thingy:
Breaking news:
Labour suspends four councillors in Rotherham in the aftermath of the child sex abuse scandal. More details soon…
I heard the most twisted interpretation of the Shaun Wright debacle the other day ... a Tory commentator on the radio said how disgusting it was that he would resign from the Labour party to save them embarrassment but wouldn't step down as PCC. Utter rubbish - he resigned from the Labour party because they called him on his actions and were most likely to have suspended and then chucked him out.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 9m
Nick Clegg says PM making "a pragmatic observation" over warninig cd take military action without approval of parliament @bbcr4today
Now that is really scary.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robbie Gibb ‏@RobbieGibb 1h
On #bbcdp we'll debate the EU ban on high-powered vacuums with UKIP MEP Louise Bours and @GeorgeMonbiot pic.twitter.com/dViVvXRp37
Quite fitting UKIP are throwing their very own high powered motor mouth at this critical debate ..... (why are people so worked up about vacuums?)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Fraser Nelson ‏@FraserNelson 4m
Cameron's inbox: war in Ukraine & Iraq, Tory party splitting, national debt soaring, Scottish nats now three points from victory #omnicrisis
Well quite.

But never mind. I saw yesterday that they'd managed to get a cross party agreement not to have any 'contentious votes' in Parliament before the Scottish referendum.

Does that include the exemptions to the Bedroom Tax private members bill introduced by Andrew George - think it's due for debate and vote this week? I'm interested to see how the Lib Dems in particular behave over that one.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 1m
Labour says gvt's security policy 'utterly confused' after Clegg's Today interview - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... 91b50bc8c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
:lol: :lol:

And that's an understatement. It was a gulp every 10 seconds.

But it's not really funny, I know - and that's the problem.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
On #bbcdp we'll debate the EU ban on high-powered vacuums with UKIP MEP Louise Bours and @GeorgeMonbiot pic.twitter.com/dViVvXRp37
Quite fitting UKIP are throwing their very own high powered motor mouth at this critical debate ..... (why are people so worked up about vacuums?)
Because the Which? top rated vacuums are going to be banned because of their wattage.

And, according to the Mirror, any above 900watts will be banned after 2017.
Which seems odd as the Miele I bought that was advertised by John Lewis as having a good energy saving mode is 1200 to 1300 watts.

Is this one of those green for green sake kind of things though ?
If you have a more powerful motor surely you'll be running the vacuum cleaner for less time than a weaker wattage one, as the dust will get sucked up quicker ?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vacuum-cleaner-ban-you-need-4125836
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Because the Which? top rated vacuums are going to be banned because of their wattage.

Which seems odd as the Miele I bought that was advertised by John Lewis as having a good energy saving mode is 1200 to 1300 watts.

If you have a more powerful motor surely you'll be running the vacuum cleaner for less time than a weaker wattage one, as the dust will get sucked up quicker ?

yahyah - our snap sister rate just exploded. I too have a Miele vacuum and bought from John Lewis! I know, incredible isn't it ..... :lol:

Yes, I know about the change in the EU law ... but it doesn't seem something to get really excised about when there are assurances that we already have very effective vacuums using a lower wattage motor - and, no doubt, more of the top brands will be adapting and improving to fit within the regulations.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Quite fitting UKIP are throwing their very own high powered motor mouth at this critical debate ..... (why are people so worked up about vacuums?)

yahyah - our snap sister rate just exploded. I too have a Miele vacuum and bought from John Lewis! I know, incredible isn't it ..... :lol:

Yes, I know about the change in the EU law ... but it doesn't seem something to get really excised about when there are assurances that we already have very effective vacuums using a lower wattage motor - and, no doubt, more of the top brands will be adapting and improving to fit within the regulations.

Is yours cream coloured ? :lol: spooky indeed.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote: Because the Which? top rated vacuums are going to be banned because of their wattage.

Red - bright post box red - to match the vim and vigour with which I banish the dust and dirt from our house (every now and again). Mr Riots has his own vacuum - because he wants to use it for manly things like building grime and cleaning Rayburn chimneys.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

rebeccariots2 wrote:From the Guardian tickertape thingy:
Breaking news:
Labour suspends four councillors in Rotherham in the aftermath of the child sex abuse scandal. More details soon…
I heard the most twisted interpretation of the Shaun Wright debacle the other day ... a Tory commentator on the radio said how disgusting it was that he would resign from the Labour party to save them embarrassment but wouldn't step down as PCC. Utter rubbish - he resigned from the Labour party because they called him on his actions and were most likely to have suspended and then chucked him out.
That was probably Simon Heffer on Any Questions. He seemed determined to get the word Labour into his answer as often as he could.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning,

I've now caught up on yesterday - thanks to ohsocynical for the Mike Hancock links. He sounds even more peevish than usual in the radio clip.

Edited

I really don't know how those brackets got there . . .
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Fantastic bit of non-news

AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 2m
Boris Johnson confirms he won't stand in Clacton - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... 81942ffc32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:From the Guardian tickertape thingy:
Breaking news:
That line was being pushed by a few online Tories last week. It is of course utterly risible.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 30s
Clapton (sic.) by-election date fixed for October 9th
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:Morning all. Labour lead at 1 point on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / Sunday Times results 1st September -

Con 34%, (+2)
Lab 35%, (-1)
LD 7%, (no change)
UKIP 14%; (-2)

APP -23 (+2)
Let's also mention the 7 pointer shall we, even if it is ComRes? :)

Curious that YouGov seems to be giving smaller Labour leads than several other pollsters at the minute.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Curious that YouGov seems to be giving smaller Labour leads than several other pollsters at the minute.
Could it be connected with the revision to their methodology that they announced last week? That would certainly account for some of the UKIP increases on the pre-Carswell polls.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think that only made a point or so's difference - they have tended to produce higher Tory figures than many other pollsters for a while now.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think that only made a point or so's difference - they have tended to produce higher Tory figures than many other pollsters for a while now.
Agreed. Some of their weighting has been a little odd; you don't think YouKnowWho has got a job with them do you?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 30s
That's Call-me's birthday. What a present that'll be. :lol:
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Will there be PMQs tomorrow?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frightful_oik wrote:Will there be PMQs tomorrow?
It is, according to the calendar on parliament.co.uk
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Carswell would get about 2 votes in Clapton.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

refitman wrote:
Call-Me has a birthday? I always thought Tories reproduced through binary fission.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: yahyah - our snap sister rate just exploded. I too have a Miele vacuum and bought from John Lewis! I know, incredible isn't it ..... :lol:

Red - bright post box red - to match the vim and vigour with which I banish the dust and dirt from our house (every now and again). Mr Riots has his own vacuum - because he wants to use it for manly things like building grime and cleaning Rayburn chimneys.
A joke by comedian Tim Vine about a vacuum cleaner has been voted the funniest at this year's Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

He won with the one-liner: "I decided to sell my Hoover... well it was just collecting dust."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-28838287
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Perfect protest vote to send the Conservatives into a tizz.
http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index. ... -32-ahead/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

http://desmog.uk/2014/09/02/exposed-law ... think-tank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Independent think tank my ass.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:Half of schools in UK’s biggest academy chain are failing pupils

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/not-good-enough-ofsted-attacks-academy-chain-9704784.html
I've been tracking this one since it was announced. Here's the way they've expanded:

pre-2010.....5
2010/11.......4
2011/12......21
2012/13......45
2013/14......1

The other point which gets missed is that they operate schools all over the country - there are 9 regions and AET have schools in all of them.

If you think about local councils, the advantage they had for schools was...that they were local. How do schools in AET see themselves when their head office is almost certainly halfway across the country?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

£1m cash injection for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence

Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for the Thames Valley, Anthony Stansfeld, has announced a block grant for organisations that support victims of crime across the region.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/roundup/articles/2014/09/02/103300-1m-cash-injection-for-victims-of-sexual-assault-and-domestic-violence/

I smell bribe...What do you all think?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Image
It will be interesting to see where this polling goes as the novelty wears off in the next week or so.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Education Funding Agency postpones work on Highridge site in Caversham after agreeing to scout out new locations for the Heights free school

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/roundup/articles/2014/09/01/103292-education-funding-agency-postpones-work-on-highridge-site-in-caversham-after-agreeing-to-scout-out-new-locations-for-the-heights-free-school/

They [the EFA] put huge, steel double gates across the entrance to the Highridge site and then had to take them down because they hadn't got planning permission. And so it rumbles on...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:Education Funding Agency postpones work on Highridge site in Caversham after agreeing to scout out new locations for the Heights free school

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/roundup/articles/2014/09/01/103292-education-funding-agency-postpones-work-on-highridge-site-in-caversham-after-agreeing-to-scout-out-new-locations-for-the-heights-free-school/

They [the EFA] put huge, steel double gates across the entrance to the Highridge site and then had to take them down because they hadn't got planning permission. And so it rumbles on...
Govey's free school marginal seats disaster tour rumbles on!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Picked up this little snippet on Twitter.

Lib Dem folk say their pre manifesto stretches to 80 pages and contains more than 300 policies

Over kill or what :shock:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Education Funding Agency postpones work on Highridge site in Caversham after agreeing to scout out new locations for the Heights free school

Govey's free school marginal seats disaster tour rumbles on!
And a school had its funding cut 2 days before opening...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-29018097

Meanwhile the DfE puts out a puff piece on how many schools they've opened. No-one's ever opened schools before of course.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Picked up this little snippet on Twitter.

Lib Dem folk say their pre manifesto stretches to 80 pages and contains more than 300 policies

Over kill or what :shock:
Smacks of never mind the quality - feel the quantity.

Personally I'd rather they had one good, honest, principled and workable policy - that they remained committed to despite whatever bribes and challenges presented themselves - than a bumper jotter book of maybe one day promises.

Oh and afternoon Ohso and all. :)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I've just one of those not-real-poll-thingies on YouGov.

The question - if you could vote in the Clacton bye-election how would you vote?
So far - LDs/other/wouldn't vote/don't knows - all at 5%
UKIP - 20%, Tory 21%, Labour 25%

Obviously the responses come from anywhere and do not reflect what the Clacton mindset is......interesting though.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The latest from Hodges. Don't be fooled by the title:
because he's still swinging that very tired axe several paragraphs in ... and it's the same old warp:
But at least Miliband is attempting a modernisation of sorts. And in any case, no one in Labour’s ranks seriously thinks he represents the future.
Labour is preparing a generational shift. When Miliband loses next year his successor will come from Labour’s 2010 intake. Chuka Umunna, Rachel Reeves, Tristram Hunt. At the moment they are unpolished diamonds. But they understand that in the four years since Labour was last in power politics has changed. And when the Miliband experiment is finally dispensed with, they know they have to ensure their party changes with it.
A new stratum of young, fresh future cabinet ministers are also poised to slide into place below them. The so-called Red Princes like Stephen Kinnock, and Will Straw, along with other less recognisable names like Rowenna Davis, Ruth Smeeth, Tom Copley and Wes Streeting.
His kind of future Labour party aint the kind that appeals to me ....
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

ephemerid wrote:I've just one of those not-real-poll-thingies on YouGov.

The question - if you could vote in the Clacton bye-election how would you vote?
So far - LDs/other/wouldn't vote/don't knows - all at 5%
UKIP - 20%, Tory 21%, Labour 25%

Obviously the responses come from anywhere and do not reflect what the Clacton mindset is......interesting though.
Snap: so did I and took a screenshot to prove it.
Attachments
yougov.jpg
yougov.jpg (81.33 KiB) Viewed 29729 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Retweeted by MirrorJames
Guto Bebb ‏@GutoBebb 43m
More Conservative MPs looking to stand down but close to home this time.
What might he be on about? Anyone?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

On Clacton, I think we should bear in mind a very real possibility of tactical voting to give the Tories a kicking alongside those who really believe in UKIP.

So, people may well think less than a year from the GE that rather than voting Labour or LibDem, their best political message is to hold their noses and have a big dig at Cameron by voting UKIP.

Having myself urged folk to vote tactically on the doorstep on many occasions I would be somewhat hypocritical to disapprove of this.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Retweeted by James Chapman (Mail)
The Associated Press ‏@AP 17m
BREAKING: Internet video purports to show beheading of US reporter Steven Sotloff by Islamic State group.
Dreadful news. Hope it's not true but there have now been several tweets - including one from Channel 4.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Retweeted by MirrorJames
Guto Bebb ‏@GutoBebb 43m
Close to whose home?

Please let it be Gove.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Retweeted by MirrorJames
Guto Bebb ‏@GutoBebb 43m
Welsh Tories possibly?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Retweeted by MirrorJames
Guto Bebb ‏@GutoBebb 43m
Close to whose home?

Please let it be Gove.
There was a rumour that he was being lined up to succeed Dacre as editor of the DM...maybe judging that if they're not going to win there's little point in staying on.

After all, baiting Tristram Hunt in the Commons from opposition might appeal for a while but would pall after a while.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: What might he be on about? Anyone?
Close to whose home?

Please let it be Gove.
There was a rumour that he was being lined up to succeed Dacre as editor of the DM...maybe judging that if they're not going to win there's little point in staying on.

After all, baiting Tristram Hunt in the Commons from opposition might appeal for a while but would pall after a while.
If it turns out to be Gove - better than I could ever have expected.

Mind you - I don't think the Welsh Tories are particularly looking forward to 2015 either. One of my clients was saying to me that she was surprised to find herself thinking that if she was in Scotland she might actually be thinking of voting YES to escape the ghastly Cameron and co ... forever. We discussed how difficult it was for Darling and other Labour MPs in the Better Together campaign to have to promote the union while we've got the government from right wing hell in power. She then said - and can you imagine the situation in Wales for Labour politicians if they were asked to promote the union under the current government - even the Welsh Tories would probably find it hard to do that ...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This might relate to that rather ominous tweet that the same person put out after the "You will make pupils do EBacc subjects at GCSE or else" story.

odysseanproject @odysseanproject · Aug 31
Don't blame NM for STel story, she's just following No10 orders. There's a worse one coming shortly...

and now...

odysseanproject @odysseanproject · 2h
Nicky Morgan doing big interview for BBC 6 & 10 tmrw

Announcing what I wonder?

National curriculum disapplied for all schools? All schools to be forced to become academies? Gove to be prosecuted wasting £1bn on academies programme?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
refitman wrote:
Call-Me has a birthday? I always thought Tories reproduced through binary fission.
Nah. That's way too complicated.

Amoebas.