Friday 26th June 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 26th June 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Friday 26th June 2020

Post by refitman »

I've binned 'SH2'. Please don't respond in future.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Thanks to Sky for the QT Report . Shared !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

refitman wrote:I've binned 'SH2'. Please don't respond in future.
I apologise for taking the bait ;)

Have to say, my somewhat bad mood yesterday was not improved by the night's football news :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

It was something I felt particularly strongly about, and something I felt I should have spoken up about more in the past.

But I understand how people feel about it and will refrain from doing so again should a similar situation arise.

And after noting several deleted posts which appear to be some sort of track-covering exercise, I agree with the ban.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

GetYou wrote:
It was something I felt particularly strongly about, and something I felt I should have spoken up about more in the past.

But I understand how people feel about it and will refrain from doing so again should a similar situation arise.

And after noting several deleted posts which appear to be some sort of track-covering exercise, I agree with the ban.
That was me, I just deleted everything.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

refitman wrote:That was me, I just deleted everything.
Ha ha, fair enough. I'll take this opportunity to say thanks for all your work here :rock:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Yes, thanks refitman, sound decision.
Last edited by Willow904 on Fri 26 Jun, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The poster in question never used to be *this* bad, either. I thought he would be happy now that the likes of him have "their" party back? :evil:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning.

This is informative and pretty funny about that plane...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Noted that cJA has been absent for the last few days, as ever hope everything is OK.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Noted that cJA has been absent for the last few days, as ever hope everything is OK.
I'll message her and pass on the best wishes.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning.

This is informative and pretty funny about that plane...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very good.

It struck me that they must have arranged this long before they told us about it, for it do be done so quickly?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Fishgirl23
Full list of the 331 Tory MPs who voted against weekly testing of NHS and care staff. It includes Jeremy Hunt who advocated testing on the same day and then voted against testing, in the same day. Lol!
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/polit ... care-staff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I forget how many Tories there are, did any abstain, vote against their party ?

————————————————————-

DanFranklin --This is Johnson’s Churchill moment. They are actually fightIng on the beaches.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Good afternoon, everyone.
Hi there :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:Fishgirl23
Full list of the 331 Tory MPs who voted against weekly testing of NHS and care staff. It includes Jeremy Hunt who advocated testing on the same day and then voted against testing, in the same day. Lol!
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/polit ... care-staff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I forget how many Tories there are, did any abstain, vote against their party ?

————————————————————-

DanFranklin --This is Johnson’s Churchill moment. They are actually fightIng on the beaches.
Opposition Motion: Testing of NHS and Social Care Staff
Division 60: held on 24 June 2020 at 19:00
198 Ayes
344 Noes
Question accordingly disagreed

AYES

NOES

NO VOTE RECORDED

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Is that the vote questioned?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Good afternoon, everyone.
Hi there :)
:rock:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
'We've bought the wrong satellites': UK tech gamble baffles experts

Bid for 20% of OneWeb to replace Galileo after Brexit ‘looks like nationalism trumping industrial policy’
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... leo-brexit
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
'We've bought the wrong satellites': UK tech gamble baffles experts

Bid for 20% of OneWeb to replace Galileo after Brexit ‘looks like nationalism trumping industrial policy’
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... leo-brexit
how embarrassing
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Why are California's Covid-19 cases surging? Here's what we know
As malls, museums, bars and other public spaces reopened, Governor Gavin Newsom has urged citizens to wear masks and keep their distance from one another to slow the spread of disease. “I cannot impress upon people more the importance at this critical juncture,” he said, “to take seriously this moment.”
As of Thursday, the number of patients hospitalized with Covid-19 is 32% higher than it was two weeks ago, Newsom reported. The number of patients in intensive care also increased 19% over the past fortnight – more than a third of ICU beds available across the state are now occupied by coronavirus patients.
In order to safely reopen, no more than 5% of everyone in a community who gets tested for Covid-19 should receive a positive result, according to the World Health Organization. California’s threshold for reopening is that no more than 8% of all tests should come back positive. While the positivity rate for the state overall hovers at a tenuous 5.1%, the rate in some southern California counties is nearly 9% or higher.

Governor Newsom said the state might have to “revert back” to tougher restrictions if the situation gets worse.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

California is testing more and the positive numbers reflect that. The worrying thing is the number of hospitalisations increasing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've purchased disposable three-ply face masks.
They're not inexpensive.
I tried a bandana with two rubber bands and found that an unsatisfactory arrangement.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Ruthless
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Science nerd question. Any ideas gratefully received.

One of the reasons 'we' think schools might reopen normally in September is that young people are very bad at spreading CV - they are generally non-symptomatic and have their own very low 'R' rate.

On the other hand, young people are 'superspreaders' of seasonal flu - generally very symptomatic and very infectious.

So when seasonal flu rolls around, as it will in the Autumn, will those young people who get it, if they happen to also be non-symptomatically infected with CV, which is going to be something of an issue, suddenly become much more 'CV infectious'? As a layperson, I would think the answer was probably yes. I can't find anything about it though.
I still believe in a town called Hope
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://theconversation.com/can-people- ... -19-140531
An early modeling estimate suggested that 80% of infections could be attributed to spread from undocumented cases. Presumably the undocumented patients were asymptomatic or had only extremely mild symptoms. Though interesting, the researchers made a lot of assumptions in that model so it is hard to judge the accuracy of that prediction.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Yeah - I don't doubt that there is a big issue about adults being infectious whilst not symptomatic - in fact there was a fuss a while back because somebody from the WHO (I think) said 'you know what, unsymptomatic adults are really non infectious' and then had to backtrack and say 'actually, it would appear that nonsymptomatic adults who never develop observable symptoms despite being infected are really non-infectious, but non-symptomatic adults who go on to develop symptoms are infectious.'

But I think there is something about non-symptomatic children not being very infectious anyway. I might be wrong. Perhaps my pained rhetorical question is 'but won't children who are CV infected inevitably become more CV infectious if flu makes them all sneezey and snotty'.

(Snotty is not my favourite dwarf - Sneezey's often ignored twin).
Sorry.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

If you have the flu you'd have a temperature, even if you don't always have a temperature with coronavirus. What I'm basically saying is that someone sneezing and coughing with a temperature should be isolating at home anyway, regardless what they're ill with, so hopefully it's a moot (though certainly interesting) point.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:If you have the flu you'd have a temperature, even if you don't always have a temperature with coronavirus. What I'm basically saying is that someone sneezing and coughing with a temperature should be isolating at home anyway, regardless what they're ill with, so hopefully it's a moot (though certainly interesting) point.
They should. But rates of seasonal flu always shoot up outside of school holidays,and not only because that's just when flu comes around - they decline during/after October half term and christmas and then bounce back. Which probably means that children are going into school when they're ill.

It is interesting (and it's something I know we've talked about before) how all of this is going to have to change schools' attitudes to 'sickness' (in the widest sense) absences.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:If you have the flu you'd have a temperature, even if you don't always have a temperature with coronavirus. What I'm basically saying is that someone sneezing and coughing with a temperature should be isolating at home anyway, regardless what they're ill with, so hopefully it's a moot (though certainly interesting) point.
They should. But rates of seasonal flu always shoot up outside of school holidays,and not only because that's just when flu comes around - they decline during/after October half term and christmas and then bounce back. Which probably means that children are going into school when they're ill.
It is interesting (and it's something I know we've talked about before) how all of this is going to have to change schools' attitudes to 'sickness' (in the widest sense) absences.
My daughter is looking forward to excluding any snuffling/sneezing lycée students who do not have masks, for flu or whatever else. If CV surfaces locally again, they will be OUT ..