Thursday 2nd July 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 2nd July 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 2nd July 2020

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Gavin Williamson is making a speech later in the Commons about schools reopening in September so naturally it's been leaked to the DT which of course is behind the paywall so most won't be able to read it.

But here's the first bit.
The Government will on Thursday reveal its plans to get all pupils back to school in September.

Gavin Williamson, the Education Secretary, will announce that children must be back in the classroom at the start of the new academic year after spending up to six months at home.

A final draft of the official guidance, seen by The Telegraph, reveals that schools will be expected to organise pupils into "bubbles", overhaul the curriculum, impose strict behaviour regimes, rearrange classroom desks, ban choirs and assemblies and be ready to shut down again in the event of a virus outbreak.

Curriculum
Schools must ensure that any gaps in children's "core knowledge" are filled, and this could mean making "substantial modifications" to the curriculum at the beginning of the academic year....
I wonder just how many primary schools still use desks?

It seems to be a right wing dream to have everyone in rows of desks facing the front so I guess desk manufacturers will be working flat out to supply them in the next few months...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

First details emerge of system for checks on goods crossing Irish Sea
HMRC document shows firms in Great Britain will be obliged to complete three types of electronic paperwork

Business leaders in Northern Ireland have been pleading with the government for this detail since last October, when the special arrangements for Northern Ireland were agreed between the UK and the EU.

But because the prime minister subsequently insisted there would be no checks it became politically challenging to detail the new procedures until last month, when Michael Gove confirmed there would be checks after all.
:roll:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

be ready to shut down again in the event of a virus outbreak.
Should this not read "be ready to close the stable door after the horse has bolted"?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote: It seems to be a right wing dream to have everyone in rows of desks facing the front
Didn't do me any harm.

:D
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: It seems to be a right wing dream to have everyone in rows of desks facing the front
Didn't do me any harm.

:D
Opinions vary...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Judging by the comments underneath I;m not sure this has gone the way that David Starkey hoped...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Paul Bernal
@PaulbernalUK
Anyway, I’m a little surprised Stanley Johnson has zipped off to Greece: I thought he’d want to be here for the pub openings.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Donald Trump does understand that you're supposed to wear the face mask over the nose and mouth, doesn't he? (Much unlike the Lone Ranger.)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well, I suppose that still wouldn't stop him tweeting......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Judging by the comments underneath I;m not sure this has gone the way that David Starkey hoped...

When Starkey talks of Marvin Rees "rejoicing" at the toppling of Colston's statue, you have to wonder if he bothered to read anything he actually said, given Rees' comments were nuanced and complex and far from "rejoiceful".
But then Starkey doesn't even bother to refer to Bristol's mayor by his name, he's just "Bristol’s (half) black mayor" and "Obama-like".
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Any non-white person is "like Obama", eh? No lazy sterotyping going on there, no sirree :roll:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Presumably someone pointed out that article in the HSJ which said that A&E departments had been told to prepare for 4th July like it was New Year's Eve,,,
Paul Waugh
@paulwaugh
Breaking: Boris Johnson will lead a No.10 press conference tomorrow to update the nation ahead of Saturday's reopening of pubs, restaurants, hairdressers etc.
1:08 PM · Jul 2, 2020·Twitter Web App
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Yes, yes...he really does say what you think he said at the start.

adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Yes, yes...he really does say what you think he said at the start.

I would ask anyone to make sure they've watched that video before they consider this comment, but it's nice to know that the existence of the state of Israel demonstrates that the Holocaust didn't happen.

(His belated and surprising climb up the political ladder was brought to a crashing end by the discovery of a piece of ill-thought-out so-called satire)
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

It was only when I was looking through comments about Grimes that I read that he'd left the IEA to set up this "new" online channel.

https://www.private-eye.co.uk//issue-1523/hp-sauce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

“” There are 43 forces in England and Wales covering local areas, and each relies on local funding to different degrees. For some it is as much as half their funding, while for others it is a fifth or less. “”
Didn’t know that it was as bad as that. Sarkozy (2007-2012) got there first, cutting police numbers and pretty well declaring war on … ‘neighbourhood policing’ . " You DON'T play football with the kids, you control them ! "

So Bozo announces more cops, but will not pay for them, while the existing budgets and presence on the street have already been seriously depleted by covid costs and ten years of Tory misrule.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... rity-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many cheers for the most excellent Independent SAGE https://www.independentsage.org/indepen ... -lockdowns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Public health and proper neighbourhood policing , two of the casualties of the New Tories .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Presumably someone pointed out that article in the HSJ which said that A&E departments had been told to prepare for 4th July like it was New Year's Eve,,,
Paul Waugh
@paulwaugh
Breaking: Boris Johnson will lead a No.10 press conference tomorrow to update the nation ahead of Saturday's reopening of pubs, restaurants, hairdressers etc.
1:08 PM · Jul 2, 2020·Twitter Web App
I'm sure it will be as clear and coherent as usual.......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Throughout my educational career, from kindergarten on to university, if desks were arranged in a front to back formation, I inevitably sat in a front seat. My teachers were the coherent adults I could count on. First day at university I was taught the benefits of sitting in a circle formation, teacher included. We were encouraged to share the name we'd like to be called in class and prizes were awarded to the students who'd remembered everyone's name.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear...

Fitzwilliam was founded upon values of fairness and mutual respect and we are proud of the College’s inclusive and diverse membership.

The matter of Dr Starkey’s Honorary Fellowship will be considered by the Governing Body at its meeting next Wednesday
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I mean, he has been around long enough to know how that sort of language would go down in "normal" times - never mind the current somewhat fevered atmosphere.

Maybe he fancies retirement?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I just spent about 5 minutes trying to find out who was on the Question Time panel tonight before realising it was finished for the Summer.

As for the Starkey malarkey he's another one the BBC actively encouraged for years and years, from Radio 4's Moral Maze to Newsnight to Question Time.

I've only listened to his initial bit of crass idiocy but that was enough. His point would seem to be that for slavery to be equated with genocide then every single 'damn black' in Africa and outside it would have to have been murdered. This as Adam has pointed out above would mean he's denying The Holocaust and given that Armenia exists he's also denying the Armenian Genocide. I could go on and on with this, just because the Nazi Einsatzgruppen failed to wipe out all Slavs/Roma/Soviet civilians is he saying their actions weren't genocidal? Apparently so.

Being a Tudor historian doesn't stop you being a stupid, racist, snobbish little dickhead who wants to be the centre of attention and maybe, finally he's gone too far for even the BBC to invite him back. I mean even Fox News would baulk at 'so many damn blacks'.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I kinda sense a turning of the tide.

Monbiot in the Guardian today was warning about the rise of a new kind of fascism but I'm not so sure.

Starkey's stupidity is emblematic of the right's 'culture war' that's been allowed to run riot on social media and been facilitated by the traditional media since the turn of this century. But now, through the concerted efforts of American campaign groups given a boost by the 'Black lives matter' movement, look what's happenning. Even Zuckerberg is shitting his pants because major businesses don't want their adverts being displayed next to neo-nazis. Youtube has rid itself of David Duke and a swarm of other assorted white nationalist gadflies, Reddit got rid of the 'The Donald' subreddit amongst a lot of other far right guff and Twitter is editing Trump himself.

It's not like me to be optimistic but it's pretty obvious there's a change going on with American social media companies and their tolerance of the kind of views the right relies on for its culture war to continue for much longer.

Some argue that to deny these right wing headcases a platform will drive them underground and make them more dangerous.

To them I say Milo Yiannopoulos. Remember him?

With Katie Hopkins soon to follow him into obscurity.

I think the right has lost this culture war, they don't know it yet and they've done a shit load of damage, but their tantrum is close to being over.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]w5-H_Lqfm24[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Now to see if this is as good stoned as I thought it would be.

[youtube]l3QQQu7QLoM[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Did you know because of the Sun's surface temperature the frequency it emits with most energy is the green part of our visual spectrum.

Which is why plants are green, they reflect the highest energy from sunlight as it would damage them.

The sky is blue because shorter wavelength light is more easily scattered by particles in the atmosphere.

And once you take the blue out of green what are you left with?

Yay, a big yellow Sun.

Which according to physics and plants is green.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]03ZPeJd-RSQ[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]AUj5kjQiNM8[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister