Monday 6th July 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 6th July 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 6th July 2020

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Thanks for your good wishes - happy to report that it's eased somewhat - enough for me to hobble down to the local shop anyway.

I find this and Hannan's effort the other day slightly curious.
Chris Rose
@ArchRose90
You know what the NHS deserves for its 72nd birthday?

Unprecedented reforms which incorporates the best from healthcare models across Europe. Stripped from layers of unnecessary bureaucracy which complicate workloads & decrease efficiency.

But I guess clapping at 5pm will do..
10:32 AM · Jul 5, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
OK, Mr Tory supporter - your government has been in power for 10 years - what's stopped you doing it already?

I seem to recall that Lansley put in unprecedented reforms back in 2012. How did that go?

And if you want some sort of insurance scheme then explain (i) how much will that add to the overall cost and (ii) explain the impact on health outcomes.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Another NHS reform large enough to be seen from space? Just what we need.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

It'd be good if they were honest enough to examine their previous changes and analyse why things didn't work out the way they thought.

Same with schools - instead of being honest and saying the Local Management of Schools actually tied councils' hands and made it harder for them to intervene where schools were struggling we had the line that the complete opposite was happening and for schools to have freedom they really needed to be in a chain where they would have a central body being able to do what they liked.

Failure to come to terms with past mistakes is not something politics is good at doing.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Chris Cook on some serious failings in the way that outsourced workers are treated.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

ROT - do you take Allopurinol? My gout has barely resurfaced since I went onto it regularly last spring.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:ROT - do you take Allopurinol? My gout has barely resurfaced since I went onto it regularly last spring.
Never heard of it. Sounds like it could be the answer - is is prescribed or OTC?

Edit - prescription only. OK, call to the GP at some point I guess.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes, you need to get it on prescription. But given your current problems, that should be straightforward unless you have any complicating conditions.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Gavin Esler
@gavinesler
·
1h
I just had a world leading walk with the dog and a world beating coffee which was a fantastic success of New Deal Churchillian proportions while later I’ll be having a universally admired attempt at unloading our world leading dishwasher. How’s your day going? #borisBS
:D
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
No 10 says it has abandoned attempts to provide daily figures for number of people tested for coronavirus

The Downing Street lobby briefing is over. Here are some of the main points.

The prime minister’s spokesman said that the government has now abandoned attempts to provide a daily figure for the number of individuals being tested for coronavirus. Early in the crisis the government did publish daily figures for the number of individuals tested, alongside figures for the number of tests carried out. But the figure for the number of individual figures became increasingly embarrassing because, as the government intensified testing to meet its target of 100,000 tests a day by 1 May, the gap between the number of individuals being tested and the number of tests being carried out became ever larger. (Politics Live, Guardian)
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

I see Mr “I don’t believe in gestures” is having fun in his tractor and hard hat again today. Prick.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its not unusual for politicians to contradict one of their soundbites, maybe less common for them to do so half a dozen times in the following 48 hours.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
No 10 says it has abandoned attempts to provide daily figures for number of people tested for coronavirus

The Downing Street lobby briefing is over. Here are some of the main points.

The prime minister’s spokesman said that the government has now abandoned attempts to provide a daily figure for the number of individuals being tested for coronavirus. Early in the crisis the government did publish daily figures for the number of individuals tested, alongside figures for the number of tests carried out. But the figure for the number of individual figures became increasingly embarrassing because, as the government intensified testing to meet its target of 100,000 tests a day by 1 May, the gap between the number of individuals being tested and the number of tests being carried out became ever larger. (Politics Live, Guardian)
We don't get information because Tory government dislikes admitting error.
I can't work with or trust anyone unable admitting they're wrong or having made a mistake.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

GetYou wrote:I see Mr “I don’t believe in gestures” is having fun in his tractor and hard hat again today. Prick.
yep
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Its not unusual for politicians to contradict one of their soundbites, maybe less common for them to do so half a dozen times in the following 48 hours.
We're in a tough spot because this government is a demonstrable shambles.
I'm frightened for us.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've just looked at the news.
It's awful.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

But our PM has just had a haircut, doesn't that fill you with good cheer?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:But our PM has just had a haircut, doesn't that fill you with good cheer?
The land wants to embrace the nation's leader
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'll weave the garland
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Constance brings her knitting
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've tried explaining the sacred picnic ritual isn't French but she's not having it
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Boris Johnson has been criticised by the care home sector for suggesting they were partly to blame for the spread of coronavirus among their residents.

Asked today for his reaction to Sir Simon Stevens, the NHS England chief executive, saying yesterday that he wanted to see plans to adequately fund the adult social care sector within a year, Johnson replied:

"One of the things the crisis has shown is we need to think about how we organise our social care package better and how we make sure we look after people better who are in social care.

We discovered too many care homes didn’t really follow the procedures in the way that they could have but we’re learning lessons the whole time.

Most important is to fund them properly ... but we will also be looking at ways to make sure the care sector long term is properly organised and supported."
Even by Johnson's standards that's breathtaking.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Meanwhile
In all honesty, I’d like the Gov’s new shock and awe Brexit business readiness campaign to start in the following way:

“To all businesses, big and small,
As of 1 Jan 2021, you will bear the full responsibility for your goods moving across the new border the UK erected with its main trading partner.
You will also be required to deal with the new barriers to trade with 3rd countries that result from us leaving the EU.
This means all areas of international trade: customs, trade finance, meeting regulatory and testing requirements etc – it’s all on you now.
You will bear the additional costs as well as the legal liability.
Anna Jerzewska -customs and trade consultant -on twitter

If you read the whole thread she actually comes across on the libertarian wing of things - "of course businesses will be responsible,it's not the government's job to run them".
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

From yesterday
Willow904 wrote:Avoiding unnecessary expenditure requires vigilance. It means investigating a very small leak in the roof and taking the necessary steps to fix or replace it straight away. Financial prudence is not watching and waiting until the small leak is a torrent and the roof is close to imminent collapse and then trying the small patch which might have worked in the first instance (or at least buy you time to find the funds for a new roof), moaning you can't really afford a new roof only to spend twice as much on replacing damaged furniture, ruined carpets etc, all the while living a stressed and miserable life.

So that's the Treasury ideology.

Johnson ideology, meanwhile, appears to be set up a go fund me page to fix the roof, only to abscond with all the money.....
Whilst adding 'of course our roof is the finest of roofs, and not only is the roof admired and envied around the world but our maintenace of it is similarly the envy of our neighbours'.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]n47QkF9xbUI[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.