Thursday 16th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 16th October 2014

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:Evening all.

It appears I'm wearing a t-shirt that says "shameless, self-promotion corner", and - you'll be ever so surprised to hear - it also looks like I've got a link to some furious (if formulaic) shouting about BBCQT. Erm. I'll just post it here and hope you don't hate me for the presumption of doing so:

http://onebuttonmonkey.com/obm/2014/10/ ... wbury.html

It's better than the version in the Graun because; (a) it's not in the Graun's awful Beta comments, and (b) it calls Jeremy Hunt more names than the G version.

Right. It's a glass of rum and a cigarette for me.
Great idea to give us the heads up here (sorry about the Americanism) rather than on OalA, and you are to commended for it. I'd love to see FTN as the home of such erudite posting, rather than the Graun getting the props. I can think of another poster here whose excellent and original work is generally wasted upon the rightist scumboils that swarm all over the other place, he mentioned casually whilst trying not to raise an arch eyebrow in the general direction of our resident chess genius.

Sorry I've be absent today. I've been - and remain - on the hunt for a car for the job which starts on Monday (eek). I've seen lots of rusty, nasty, abused, mistreated examples of mans' inhumanity to inanimate objects, the last of which was an A-class Merc which was anything other than class. It actually looked like it had spent its entire life on a dodgems ride, and that it had spent its life stood out in particularly acid rain.

The search continues tomorrow with two Puntos, one of which is extremely tasty and thus somewhat expensive, a Saxo and a Fiat Stilo whose group 15 insurance tag has rather cooled my ardour to own it. Thus is bangernomics, the art of picking up cheap 4-5-6 owners cars and running them until just before the point where they're likely to break down, at which juncture you wave it goodbye and get the next rat car.

One day I'll have that 9-3 Convertible, I swear. Just not now, and certainly not for about 800 quid.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Mencap backing Lord Freud, as Guido tells us.
Robert Holland
‏@RobHoll
Great to see @mencap_charity spokesperson @ciarale01 on BBC news at 10 highlighting how damaging Lord Freud's comments are!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Peter Hitchen's, is to be blunt, a strange bod, disapproves of the privatisation of state assets, of the de-industrialisation of vast areas of this country, all things I can agree with. He then of course spoils it by living in the 50s, the evil threatening us from the EU, his obsession with immigration.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/ ... tion-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's the Mail's version of Oborne, at times brilliant, yes I did write that, mainly for his withering attacks on Tories, and unlike Oborne he never finds time to praise Empty,he's strange one.

There is a lot of which I agree with here, unlike a lot of journalists he doesn't kow-tow to the emails which get sent out from Con Headquarters to attack Miliband, yes it does happen, he confirmed it once.
He's not his brother though.
[youtube]K5Xx9IxlrEg[/youtube]
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

It appears I'm wearing a t-shirt that says "shameless, self-promotion corner", and - you'll be ever so surprised to hear - it also looks like I've got a link to some furious (if formulaic) shouting about BBCQT. Erm. I'll just post it here and hope you don't hate me for the presumption of doing so:

It's better than the version in the Graun because; (a) it's not in the Graun's awful Beta comments, and (b) it calls Jeremy Hunt more names than the G version.

Great idea to give us the heads up here (sorry about the Americanism) rather than on OalA, and you are to commended for it. I'd love to see FTN as the home of such erudite posting, rather than the Graun getting the props. I can think of another poster here whose excellent and original work is generally wasted upon the rightist scumboils that swarm all over the other place, he mentioned casually whilst trying not to raise an arch eyebrow in the general direction of our resident chess genius.

Sorry I've be absent today. I've been - and remain - on the hunt for a car for the job which starts on Monday (eek). I've seen lots of rusty, nasty, abused, mistreated examples of mans' inhumanity to inanimate objects, the last of which was an A-class Merc which was anything other than class. It actually looked like it had spent its entire life on a dodgems ride, and that it had spent its life stood out in particularly acid rain.

The search continues tomorrow with two Puntos, one of which is extremely tasty and thus somewhat expensive, a Saxo and a Fiat Stilo whose group 15 insurance tag has rather cooled my ardour to own it. Thus is bangernomics, the art of picking up cheap 4-5-6 owners cars and running them until just before the point where they're likely to break down, at which juncture you wave it goodbye and get the next rat car.

One day I'll have that 9-3 Convertible, I swear. Just not now, and certainly not for about 800 quid.
Don't forget any tax on a car now isn't transferable. You'll have to tax it from the date you buy it yourself.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

The QT summary is brilliant.

That description of David Cameron should be engraved on his tombstone (and maybe one day it will be).

As for cars, if you want a toy I am afraid you have the insurance costs. I used to love driving cars with 240 bhp like a granny. I always believed in driving at the speed limit, I just don't see why I should wait to get there. I have ambitions after a few more years of driving tanks to get one with 280bhp - used of course.

Besides if you want a bundle of joy you can get a nice Mx-5 for not much. The only issue is the rear wings rust, so you need one that hasn't (or has been done). I am afraid though your 9-3 is gone forever - much like the original MR-2 I always wanted but never got.
Release the Guardvarks.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Mencap backing Lord Freud, as Guido tells us.
Robert Holland
‏@RobHoll
Great to see @mencap_charity spokesperson @ciarale01 on BBC news at 10 highlighting how damaging Lord Freud's comments are!
Even WatO, that bastion of Tory self preening and fawning managed to accidentally (and probably against editorial policy) speak to a Welsh bloke (ex-Remploy) who gave it both barrels to the Tories. I can already imagine Dave pursing his lips and preparing to deploy his own deceased son as proof of how much he "cares" about the disabled, the fat baconfaced lying twat.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

That description of David Cameron should be engraved on his tombstone (and maybe one day it will be).

As for cars, if you want a toy I am afraid you have the insurance costs. I used to love driving cars with 240 bhp like a granny. I always believed in driving at the speed limit, I just don't see why I should wait to get there. I have ambitions after a few more years of driving tanks to get one with 280bhp - used of course.

Besides if you want a bundle of joy you can get a nice Mx-5 for not much. The only issue is the rear wings rust, so you need one that hasn't (or has been done). I am afraid though your 9-3 is gone forever - much like the original MR-2 I always wanted but never got.
Like this?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/t ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very smart, not much good with three dogs though, I should have a van.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Cripes - from the Guardian.
Two men accused of being involved in a terrorist plot in London were covertly recorded as they apparently prepared to buy a firearm, the Old Bailey has heard.

A listening device in their car recorded them using the codewords “sausage” and “sauce” to describe items they planned to purchase, the jury was told.
I can only assume they were going to blow up the portrait of "The Fallen Madonna With The Big Boobies."
Last edited by refitman on Thu 16 Oct, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: quote fixed
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Tom Pride has a link the the suppressed Musgrove Park hospital report about the problems with Vanguard. I doubt anybody here would be interested in such a thing, but just in case I'm wrong ..... ;-)

http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/10/1 ... e-company/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

diGriz wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

Don't forget any tax on a car now isn't transferable. You'll have to tax it from the date you buy it yourself.
Thanks - I'd not realised that. That's a bummer. So, if the car's advertised as taxed until April 2015, I'll still have to tax it, regardless? That's a pile of shite.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Cripes - from the Guardian.
Two men accused of being involved in a terrorist plot in London were covertly recorded as they apparently prepared to buy a firearm, the Old Bailey has heard.

A listening device in their car recorded them using the codewords “sausage” and “sauce” to describe items they planned to purchase, the jury was told.
I can only assume they were going to blow up the portrait of "The Fallen Madonna With The Big Boobies."
If one of those suspects has the surname "Dibbler" it is just possible they may have the wrong men.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

If one of those suspects has the surname "Dibbler" it is just possible they may have the wrong men.
No worries. They'd be in no fit state after eating a "sausage inna bun".
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Evening all, nice to see the press not letting this go
Freud Revelation Exposes Weakness in David Cameron's Technique
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/will-bl ... _hp_ref=tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Like this?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/t ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very smart, not much good with three dogs though, I should have a van.
More like this (and one of my cars is technically a van)

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C120025
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

refitman wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
On my ever lengthening "What I'll Do If I win The Lottery" list I have two business ideas; the first is to open a second hand bookshop, change my name to Bernard and spend my days drinking red wine & being rude to customers; the second is a chain of dodgy fast food outlets called "Dibblers" serving delicacies such as the aforementioned "sausage inna bun", the meat pie floater and the gourmet meat pie floater (for those who want to know what sort of meat it is). That second one just couldn't fail, despite (or because of) the associations).
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
refitman wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: If one of those suspects has the surname "Dibbler" it is just possible they may have the wrong men.
On my ever lengthening "What I'll Do If I win The Lottery" list I have two business ideas; the first is to open a second hand bookshop, change my name to Bernard and spend my days drinking red wine & being rude to customers; the second is a chain of dodgy fast food outlets called "Dibblers" serving delicacies such as the aforementioned "sausage inna bun", the meat pie floater and the gourmet meat pie floater (for those who want to know what sort of meat it is). That second one just couldn't fail, despite (or because of) the associations).
Would the gourmet floater have red sauce on it? 'Cause it's not right without the red sauce.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

John Mann MP ‏@JohnMannMP · 7m7 minutes ago
If a second person can evidence the alleged PIE MP kingpin then I will be naming him in Parliament ( not a name already out there)

???????
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Just been to the British Academy Immigration and the politics of britishness debate (see Guardian, website advertising does catch some people!). I was pretty impressed by a couple of people (frances webber and Rob ford) which I hope to expand upon at some point. It was good to hear Toby Helm pulled up on his Guardian = centre left description by the audience :lol:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Tom Pride has a link the the suppressed Musgrove Park hospital report about the problems with Vanguard. I doubt anybody here would be interested in such a thing, but just in case I'm wrong ..... ;-)

http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/10/1 ... e-company/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was the scandal I posted on last night, I noted some kind soul had leaked it to the Guardian ( and others it seems).

I will have a read.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

John Mann MP ‏@JohnMannMP · 12m12 minutes ago
Very interesting and significant name suggested for PIE child abuse organiser of MPs. Anyone with info?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Manhattan foghorn who goes by the name Mensch reckons that if there is an Ebola outbreak a Labour government wouldn't be trusted, stick with the Tories folks, could be the difference between life and death?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I have two business ideas; the first is to open a second hand bookshop, change my name to Bernard and spend my days drinking red wine & being rude to customers;
That's brilliant. Let us know if you're ever looking for staff.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Tom Pride has a link the the suppressed Musgrove Park hospital report about the problems with Vanguard. I doubt anybody here would be interested in such a thing, but just in case I'm wrong ..... ;-)

Doubtless your mate over at the other place would find it "delicious". Image
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Gosh - Go for it Greeks !
Greek prosecutor orders all Golden Dawn MPs to face criminal trial
Far-right party’s MPs are accused of murder, weapons offences and attacks on immigrants, leftwing activists and gay people
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/o ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

refitman wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
refitman wrote: No worries. They'd be in no fit state after eating a "sausage inna bun".
Would the gourmet floater have red sauce on it? 'Cause it's not right without the red sauce.
The red sauce is essential with all items, to disguise the taste.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

danesclose wrote:

Based on previous experience he'd more than likely duck any comments as his precious private sector doesn't come out of it awfully well; took me best part of a fortnight once to get him to comment on a negative report relating to Hinchingbrooke, I guess he can't say much for contractual reasons! :rofl:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

tinyclanger2 wrote:
I have two business ideas; the first is to open a second hand bookshop, change my name to Bernard and spend my days drinking red wine & being rude to customers;
Have you ever eaten The Little Book Of Calm? If so you are definitely in the running.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
danesclose wrote:

Based on previous experience he'd more than likely duck any comments as his precious private sector doesn't come out of it awfully well; took me best part of a fortnight once to get him to comment on a negative report relating to Hinchingbrooke, I guess he can't say much for contractual reasons! :rofl:
He tried to get everyone interested in some 'research' (sic) that Hunt used that said the NHS could save between £1-2.5bn if they weren't so damn careless and useless at treating patients.

From the DT link, it looked like a back-of-an-envelope job - any answer which has such a wide range is borderline useless.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
danesclose wrote:

An interesting read, at one level it looks like the hospital did all the right things, but if you apply rather more critical thought than the report encourages issues and questions appear.

Scratch unit, unfamiliar and unusual kit, a scratch team that hadn't worked together before AND a very high target number of operations an hour from day one.

Add to that a review (that seemed to be guilty of wishful thinking) and a rather dubious decision to continue for an additional day.

I can see why they are nervous. QA, audit and supervision seemed utterly lacking. The investigation into the root cause seems cursory at best.
Release the Guardvarks.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Have you ever eaten The Little Book Of Calm? If so you are definitely in the running.
Can I have a job?
When you rest, you are a king surveying your estate. Look at the woodland, the peacocks on the lawn. Be the king of your own calm kingdom.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

UK private schools handling dirty money - shock

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 00001.html

Where do most of the rich foreign kids come from, corrupt countries ruled by despots. No shit Sherlock.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
danesclose wrote: Doubtless your mate over at the other place would find it "delicious". Image
An interesting read, at one level it looks like the hospital did all the right things, but if you apply rather more critical thought than the report encourages issues and questions appear.

Scratch unit, unfamiliar and unusual kit, a scratch team that hadn't worked together before AND a very high target number of operations an hour from day one.

Add to that a review (that seemed to be guilty of wishful thinking) and a rather dubious decision to continue for an additional day.

I can see why they are nervous. QA, audit and supervision seemed utterly lacking. The investigation into the root cause seems cursory at best.
I think you are correct; the hospital does appear to have, in the main, done the right things and even that additional day makes sense if you consider the fluidity of the situation, but less sense with the advantage of hindsight. On the face of it Vanguard are culpable - a chain of subcontracting, coupled with that inadequate supervision, resulting a poorly trained and unprepared staff - but we know that these things have a tendency to bite the NHS on its collective bum rather than the real culprit, thanks to the likes of Staines and his attack dogs (in which grouping I very much include RingPiece, based on past evidence). So, yes, I can understand the nervousness.

@Rog - so he's still up to his usual tricks then? As far as I can tell Sparrow never did follow up on the promise he made to a number of people, to ask the Mods to look into trollish activity; coupled with the fact that he admitted that RP probably is CCHQ I'm led to the conclusion that he is there with the tacit approval of the Graun, which makes posting there a pointless activity. After 30+ years of reading the Guardian it was a remarkably painless experience walking away from it, which really illustrates how little meat there is on it's journalistic bone these days.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Just when you think she can sink no lower ......

La Mensch's twitter output for this evening.
Wonder if Republicans traditionally being the "daddy party" aka discipline will serve the nominee in 2016 over Ebola. inclined to think so.

Same in the UK. If there is a serious outbreak in the UK I doubt voters will risk a labour government. Time to get serious. #Ebola

I mean exactly what I say. Look at Diane Abbott's irresponsible comments on Ebola patients, Mili's open border policy. No. Way. #LabourFail
Is there no tragedy this vile creature will not use for petty party political advantage, even though the party she is backing really has no time for her? :fire:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Next Wednesday...
Witness
Wednesday 22 October 2014, Venue: TBC

At 9.30am

Rt Hon Nicky Morgan MP, Secretary of State for Education

Purpose of the session
The session explores certain aspects of the evolution and implementation of the academies and free schools policy with the Secretary of State for Education. This is the final session in the inquiry.
If she's anything like as bad as she was this week, it should be a hoot.

Wonder if she'll explain how the new regional commissioners seem to have gained responsibility for all schools in the two months they've been in post?

Or if she's worked out what 'autonomy' means in respect of sponsored academies?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

:lol!:

1) Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch · 2h2 hours ago
Same in the UK. If there is a serious outbreak in the UK I doubt voters will risk a labour government. Time to get serious. #Ebola

2) Reply : Dick Graceless ‏@DickGraceless · 14m14 minutes ago
Chapter 4, in which @LouiseMensch goes insane > "If there is an outbreak in the UK I doubt voters will risk a labour government. #Ebola”
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Just when you think she can sink no lower ......

Wonder if Republicans traditionally being the "daddy party" aka discipline will serve the nominee in 2016 over Ebola. inclined to think so.

I mean exactly what I say. Look at Diane Abbott's irresponsible comments on Ebola patients, Mili's open border policy. No. Way. #LabourFail
Is there no tragedy this vile creature will not use for petty party political advantage, even though the party she is backing really has no time for her? :fire:[/quote

Ooops - missing the "someone posted" hold thing - :lol:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Just when you think she can sink no lower ......

Is there no tragedy this vile creature will not use for petty party political advantage, even though the party she is backing really has no time for her? :fire:[/quote

Ooops - missing the "someone posted" hold thing - :lol:
Just a question of great minds etc ........ ;-)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB · 2m2 minutes ago
YouGov poll for Sun finds that 41% would vote to remain in the EU while 40% would vote to leave in a referendum Britain's membership
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

That tweet by Mensch. Erm. I mean. Um. I can't work out if she's saying "Vote Labour: Get Ebola" or "Let's Get Some Ebola And Keep Labour Out."

Either way. Uh. I. Erm. Well. Words actually fail.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

refitman wrote:
Ukip's EFDD group in the European parliament has broken up

The Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy (EFDD) group in the European parliament, set up by Ukip and other Eurosceptics parties after the European elections, has collapsed.
Jaume Duch ✔ @jduch
Follow

Latvian MEP Iveta Grigule left #EFDD group today. #EFDD no longer has members from at least 7 countries, so declared dissolved today. #EP
11:36 AM - 16 Oct 2014
(from Andrew)
Hurrah! Shall we have a party? :clap: :dance: :rofl: :whip:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

onebuttonmonkey wrote:That tweet by Mensch. Erm. I mean. Um. I can't work out if she's saying "Vote Labour: Get Ebola" or "Let's Get Some Ebola And Keep Labour Out."

I doubt even she knows what she was trying to say. Louise and reality are but distant strangers these days.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
onebuttonmonkey wrote:That tweet by Mensch. Erm. I mean. Um. I can't work out if she's saying "Vote Labour: Get Ebola" or "Let's Get Some Ebola And Keep Labour Out."

I doubt even she knows what she was trying to say. Louise and reality are but distant strangers these days.
I'd say she'd gone completely hatstand, but there doesn't seem to be much point given that she always seems to find another even more barking thing to say afterwards.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Jeremy Hunt has just told a whopper on QT - apparently they've reduced net migration by a quarter.

Y/e March 2010...222k
y/e March 2014...243k
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

I'd say she'd gone completely hatstand, but there doesn't seem to be much point given that she always seems to find another even more barking thing to say afterwards.
Remembering an outstanding Tweet from @marthasydenham

Mensch had Tweeted some absurdity to Peter Jukes

He replied to say "could you be more wrong?"

@martha jumped in to say in fact Mensch could be more wrong and that this wasn't her best work :lol: :lol: :lol:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Zeus! What an horrible bunch in the audience at QT most of those who have spoken seem to think they know what bloody Freud actually meant! Sickening, and so far only Angela Eagle, Giles Fraser, and Ming Campbell, have spoken up for people with disabilities being, naturally, entitled to the Minimum Wage with no question!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

I'm not having that. The one I'm after is the interim car. We've got a very sound (if dull and utilitarian) Mazda 323 as the main transport, and this next one is to tide us over until we can afford a family car and daddy's toy (at least I've admitted it). And I fancy a 9-3 Convertible, thank you very much, and if the numbers are favourable, I will prevail...
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ErnstRemarx wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Great idea to give us the heads up here (sorry about the Americanism) rather than on OalA, and you are to commended for it. I'd love to see FTN as the home of such erudite posting, rather than the Graun getting the props. I can think of another poster here whose excellent and original work is generally wasted upon the rightist scumboils that swarm all over the other place, he mentioned casually whilst trying not to raise an arch eyebrow in the general direction of our resident chess genius.

I'm not having that. The one I'm after is the interim car. We've got a very sound (if dull and utilitarian) Mazda 323 as the main transport, and this next one is to tide us over until we can afford a family car and daddy's toy (at least I've admitted it). And I fancy a 9-3 Convertible, thank you very much, and if the numbers are favourable, I will prevail...

Your big problem is there probably won't be any 9-3 convertibles left in the country.

Nice car, but unlike legacy Rovers parts will be an issue. What GM did to SAAB was a crime.
Release the Guardvarks.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: The QT summary is brilliant.

Your big problem is there probably won't be any 9-3 convertibles left in the country.

Nice car, but unlike legacy Rovers parts will be an issue. What GM did to SAAB was a crime.
Well yes, we had a 9-3 TDI estate (I say we, it was the missus, and she was about to sign up for a Focus estate on the company lease scheme when a 9-3 came up because someone had left the company just after ordering the car, so would anyone like it for less than the Ford? Yes please.

It was OK, but not the Scandi classic we expected. Very obviously put together from the GM parts bin, although better than the Vectra equivalent, which had nearly killed the missus in the late 90's. Twice. Apparently there were issues with the steering/suspension geometry. Oh, and whilst tootling along the M4 to London village, my two year old lad reached down from his car seat (had turned off the airbag - don't panic), grabbed the ignition key in it's iconic position by the "aircraft style" handbrake and switched the engine off.

Reckon you're going to have to watch "Sideways", man up, and get a real Saab. Said the guy who's rally-mad but impecunious dad bought one - a Saab 96, because his Hillman Imp had given up the ghost. I have a very forebearing mother.

As for us? The missus leases a Skoda Octavia. Sad to say, but far better value, and, crucially for me, being my father's son, a better drive than the 9-3. I'd still buy a 900 turbo convertible for shit'n'giggles if I could cope with the maintenance though.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Bugger, I've started a new thread but maybe car discussions should stay on this one ?