Thursday 17th September 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 17th September 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 17th September 2020

Post by frog222 »

Listened to a manager of some care homes a few minutes ago, on Five Live .

Government announcements, testing, all very ""haphazard "".

" Sometimes we'd wait two weeks for test results, or just not receive any . "
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ry-reveals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
People want a fairer, greener Britain after Covid, inquiry reveals
So why did they vote in a Tory government, then?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

It is not technically difficult to participate in Parliament online and was already happening in April and May, with MPs from all four corners of the land successfully participating as equals in debates using video conference technology.

And yet, this week, Keir Starmer was prevented from leading the opposition in the debate on the Government’s Internal Market Bill, which itself breaks international law. That was because he was denied the opportunity to speak remotely from self-isolation, as one of his family is being tested.

Last week, Jacob Rees-Mogg was in self-isolation as one of his family had symptoms. However, it was he, as Leader of the House, who initiated the restrictions on remote working in the name of ‘going back to work’ but found as a result he was prevented from doing his own work, answering Business Questions remotely
https://bylinetimes.com/2020/09/16/bori ... ne-voting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recc the whole article !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Shrink the State !
Chakrabortti -- https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nson-covid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Off to the pool...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

And the latest in a long running series of "Satire is dead. No, really, this time it is..."

Chris Grayling to advise ports operator in £100,000 role

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54185180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ex-Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has landed a £100,000 job advising the owner of some of the UK's top ports.

The Conservative MP is working for Hutchison Ports, which operates Harwich and Felixstowe among other terminals.

According to the MPs' register of financial interests, he will be paid for seven hours work a week for a year.

The appointment has been approved by a Whitehall watchdog despite it raising concerns of a "perceived risk" that it may give the firm an unfair advantage.
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Take a look at the first para...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would post the pic but I have trouble getting pics to appear on here.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ry-reveals
Major gaslighting operation?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Take a look at the first para...
I would post the pic but I have trouble getting pics to appear on here.
Trying ..................... !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

And the latest in a long running series of "Satire is dead. No, really, this time it is..."

Chris Grayling to advise ports operator in £100,000 role

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54185180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ex-Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has landed a £100,000 job advising the owner of some of the UK's top ports.

The Conservative MP is working for Hutchison Ports, which operates Harwich and Felixstowe among other terminals.

According to the MPs' register of financial interests, he will be paid for seven hours work a week for a year.

The appointment has been approved by a Whitehall watchdog despite it raising concerns of a "perceived risk" that it may give the firm an unfair advantage.
:D
Given his past record, "advising" them on how not to do things presumably.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Interesting...a government department seemed to think it could stop a witness appearing before a Select Committee.

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

OhGoodGrief
Massive gridlock in Catford. Turns out a drive through COVID testing centre has been opened here. All roads inc south circular totally gridlocked. And after all that nobody is getting tested because none of them have received a QR code. Shambles doesn’t even begin to describe it.

I see the brexit rehearsals are well under way.
All going splendidly !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow- another three-word answer :"Anyone But Corbyn" !
:| :| :|
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well, there's a surprise...
Sam Coates Sky
@SamCoatesSky
Social care white paper delayed again - to next year, reports Municipal Journal

No10 was refusing to sign off the cash needed. No11 unwilling to proceed without it.
:roll:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:OhGoodGrief
Massive gridlock in Catford. Turns out a drive through COVID testing centre has been opened here. All roads inc south circular totally gridlocked. And after all that nobody is getting tested because none of them have received a QR code. Shambles doesn’t even begin to describe it.

I see the brexit rehearsals are well under way.
All going splendidly !
EU nations will feel sorry for most of the people getting hosed by Brexit and will send care packages every now and then. Government is probably counting on that.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well, there's a surprise...
Sam Coates Sky
@SamCoatesSky

No10 was refusing to sign off the cash needed. No11 unwilling to proceed without it.
Should I write the EU nations and beg for assistance now?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Matter of privilege referred to the Committee on 28 June 2018 inquiry
Inquiry status: Concluded

Due to the general election on 12 December 2019 the Committee has now closed this inquiry. Following the dissolution of Parliament on 6 November, all Select Committees will cease to exist until after the general election. If an inquiry on this subject is held in the future, the Committee may refer to the evidence already gathered as part of this inquiry.
Reports and associated evidence
1st Report - Conduct of Mr Dominic Cummings HC 1490 Published 27 March 2019
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... 0/1490.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://old.parliament.uk/business/comm ... lications/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I put all the information on a thumb drive as well as copying it onto a removable disk.
Things go missing
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Well, there's a surprise...
Sam Coates Sky @SamCoatesSky
Should I write the EU nations and beg for assistance now?
I'm prepared to barter if you offer Marmite and COLMAN's horseradish sauce ...
Last edited by frog222 on Thu 17 Sep, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Willow- another three-word answer :"Anyone But Corbyn" !
:| :| :|
Enthusiastically endorsed by many pundits who are now moaning loudly about Johnson.

Seriously, what did they expect? Its not exactly a "man of mystery" we are talking about here.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I finally got round to getting my hair cut. My hair's looking a lot better but my sanity took a bit of a bashing. My hairdresser's sister lives in New York and it seems is as susceptible to fake news as her brother. Apparently because they sometimes hung out with Jeffrey Epstein, Hillary and Bill Clinton are child sex traffickers (why this isn't therefore also true of Trump who also hung out with him isn't exactly clear) and all the Democratic Party are/were in on it (or something). This last bit was a bit hazy and still to be revealed. Possibly a reference to the (not quite a) story that Joe Biden visits his brother on an island which is near an isand Epstein owned.

Anyway it seems for some this is the topic that the election will be fought on and not Trump's pandemic incompetence, corruption or inability to say anything remotely true.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I'm shocked, shocked that even after a meeting with Gove they still have no clarity about the issues surrounding border crossings!

posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=2474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RHA News
@RHANews
Today's meeting with
@michaelgove
fell far short of our expectations. The mutually effective co-operation we wanted to ensure seamless border crossings just didn't happen and there is still no clarity over the questions
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I'm shocked, shocked that even after a meeting with Gove they still have no clarity about the issues surrounding border crossings!

posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=2474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RHA News
@RHANews
Today's meeting with
@michaelgove
fell far short of our expectations. The mutually effective co-operation we wanted to ensure seamless border crossings just didn't happen and there is still no clarity over the questions
https://twitter.com/RHANews/status/1306610343167352835
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

We must wear face masks indoors at a grocery store, for example, but not if we're at work
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Or teaching a classroom made up of a couple dozen people, no masks required
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Yeah seriously what is the problem with wearing a mask. It's a small price to pay.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Confusingly, Dijon bee is told by IDS not to lecture us about peace in Northern Ireland (3,5).
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:I'm shocked, shocked that even after a meeting with Gove they still have no clarity about the issues surrounding border crossings!
RHA News @RHANews
Today's meeting with @michaelgove
https://twitter.com/RHANews/status/1306610343167352835
Can't resist trying , knocking off after and including the "&" ----
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EiIClhZWkAE ... me=900x900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Yeah seriously what is the problem with wearing a mask. It's a small price to pay.
It's not the mask I'm upset with. Making people share a badly ventilated room without windows that open with a lot of other people they don't live with is dangerous.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

contractionary guidance government comes out with is dangerous
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

perfectly describes this government
"They don't have the decency nor the intelligence to be ashamed."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I mean, isn't the government line *still* "COMMUTE TO THE OFFICE EVERY DAY, YOU PLEBS!"?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"So I can't see my granddaugher, but you want me to go into an office for 8 hours a day with 30 other people? Fuck off."
quite
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"You're no more likely to catch CV19 than anyone else," said HR.
Working from home worker was told to show up to the pestilence pit based on that clincher.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Anger as government admits test and trace website coding error

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/anger-as-gove ... ing-error/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The problem relates to a stage in the registration process where website visitors can toggle between drive-through and walk-through centres.

Anyone who clicks to change the type of testing site they want to access is subsequently told there are no sites available.

However the website’s code shows that what’s actually happening is the website is failing to connect with the appointments system – so it isn’t even checking whether sites are available.

But rather than showing on the website as an “error”, the page instead still states “no test sites available”.
As someone who used to implement SAP and remembers having to write test scripts, and go through test cases, test, write the answer down, get it signed off etc etc for every single scenario; this is pretty basic stuff.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Viva Las Vagueness: Door Matt and Dido star in a cabaret of Covid cluelessness
Eventually, Labour’s Graham Stringer intervened and asked the question on everyone’s mind: what on earth made her think she was the right person to head the new National Institute for Health Protection? Typhoid thought for a bit. It could have been that she had been chief executive of TalkTalk when it suffered a massive data breach resulting in her ignorance being described as a lesson to us all. It could have been that she had been on the board of the Jockey Club that gave the go-ahead to the Cheltenham festival. It could have been that she had been in charge of NHS test and trace, a service in which many employees made just two calls a month.

Or it could just have been that she was a Tory peer, married to a Tory MP, who was prepared to step up to the plate when her country called. An expert in logistics and key performance indicators who “could act faster over a broader landscape”. It now became clear she saw that her main asset was to be able to talk bullshit – though not particularly convincingly.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... uelessness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well, after waiting for hours for an email from 'er indoors to say she's ready to be collected from hospital...an email arrives at 7:45 saying not to worry, transport has been arranged.

Do you know how stressful it is looking at a screen for an email to pop up so you can leap into action?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well, after waiting for hours for an email from 'er indoors to say she's ready to be collected from hospital...an email arrives at 7:45 saying not to worry, transport has been arranged.

Do you know how stressful it is looking at a screen for an email to pop up so you can leap into action?
Yes
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

it's been quite a day
I love you, everyone
goodnight
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Hmm...all very well saying that they will arrange transport but it would be nice if they actually managed to do so.

Two and a half hours later and still no sign of it.

Edit - transport has just turned up...