Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th October 2014

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

More stellar stuff from Theresa May.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... heresa-may" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A letter to Labour MP Paul Blomfield from Home Office minister James Brokenshire, filed in the parliamentary library, highlights official figures showing that on more than 3,000 occasions in the year to 12 December 2013, the home secretary, Theresa May, withdrew her department’s decision about an applicant’s immigration status as appeals were put in place
Statistics show that half of all asylum appeals are successful. However, Home Office officials have been set targets of turning down 70% of asylum appeals, and have been offered gift vouchers, cash bonuses and extra holiday if they hit them.
Glad all those silly Labour Party targets are a thing of the past.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
dominic dyer @domdyer70 · 13h 13 hours ago
Rumours in Westminster growing Owen Paterson ready to jump ship to UKIP should Mark Reckless become second UKIP MP
Go on Patsy - jump, jump to where you belong.
Reckon all the Tories are thinking that if there enough of them defecting to UKIP that they can oust Farage?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:Bill Oddie's badger cull-busters on patrol looking for wounded animals after they have been shot
The presenter was joined by a team of volunteers as they spend the night looking for badgers shot and injured as part of the controversial cull

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bi ... ol-4450244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down passed the (poor) dead badger picture to find the "do you agree with the cull" poll
Poll (Do you agree with the cull?) currently stands at 86% No, 14% Yes. I know that a voluntary poll on one article on one newspaper website is not definitive but it is heartening to see such a large majority against this cruel practise.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I'm BaaaaaACK. (Sorry, that's how my nephew used to announce / shout he had arrived back in the house when he was all of 2 years old.) Not sure for how long as we may need to rush off again.

Ooooh the tales I'd like to tell you .... but sadly can't.

I'll post this instead as no-one else seems to have done the honours.
Badger cull set to fail for second year running
Two-thirds of the way through Gloucestershire cull, fewer than a third of required badgers had been shot

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ar-running
And that's actually fewer than a third of the minimum kill target they set themselves .... it's even more of a big fail (for them) when viewed against their 'maximum' target.

Of course the government and cull companies are going to declare it a success - it doesn't matter how badly it has gone it will still have to be declared as a rip roaring success. They simply can't countenance admitting failure and rowing back on an issue that is supposed to get the farmers' vote - so it will be a success.
Welcome back! And thanks for everything you're doing :rock:

One of my Beautiful Young Men is up there and due back on Tuesday, so looking forward to his return, too :)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Apologies if already covered, but there's a major story on The Graun site about obesity. If you read the story there's actually some degree of sense to it.

Can't link because iphone, but I don't think you'll have any problems spotting the headline - it'll be the hugely insulting to NHS staff one. Sheesh.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:I'm BaaaaaACK. (Sorry, that's how my nephew used to announce / shout he had arrived back in the house when he was all of 2 years old.) Not sure for how long as we may need to rush off again.

Ooooh the tales I'd like to tell you .... but sadly can't.

I'll post this instead as no-one else seems to have done the honours.
Badger cull set to fail for second year running
Two-thirds of the way through Gloucestershire cull, fewer than a third of required badgers had been shot

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ar-running
And that's actually fewer than a third of the minimum kill target they set themselves .... it's even more of a big fail (for them) when viewed against their 'maximum' target.

Of course the government and cull companies are going to declare it a success - it doesn't matter how badly it has gone it will still have to be declared as a rip roaring success. They simply can't countenance admitting failure and rowing back on an issue that is supposed to get the farmers' vote - so it will be a success.
Welcome back! And thanks for everything you're doing :rock:

One of my Beautiful Young Men is up there and due back on Tuesday, so looking forward to his return, too :)
Ah that's very good to hear Lady C - a kindred spirit. The number of Beautiful Young Men involved are one of the big pluses as far as I'm concerned. (Got to find some pluses amongst such a grim situation.) We're seriously considering going back for a bit because we don't trust they are going to stop killing when their licence expires on Monday at midday..... They are simply not observing many of the conditions and guidelines of the licence anyway ... and are so determined to obliterate badgers from some areas. They will come back when they think we aren't there - that's our guess - and they'll get their illegal kills counted as part of the cull. No independent monitoring see - can pretty much do what they like.
Working on the wild side.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

An ok summary from McBride on the current financial chaos, bit muted in his criticism of Osborne, there again he is taking the Mail's shilling so he has to be..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... oomed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:An ok summary from McBride on the current financial chaos, bit muted in his criticism of Osborne, there again he is taking the Mail's shilling so he has to be..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... oomed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As others predicted it looks like Osbornes decision to go for 5 year fixed parliaments has bitten him. There are a lot of signs that the best year for the economy was going to be 2014. While 2015 probably won't be a full blown recession the indicators will be flat at best.
Release the Guardvarks.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Hobiejoe wrote:Apologies if already covered, but there's a major story on The Graun site about obesity. If you read the story there's actually some degree of sense to it.

Can't link because iphone, but I don't think you'll have any problems spotting the headline - it'll be the hugely insulting to NHS staff one. Sheesh.
This one?
NHS chief urges hospital staff to join gyms in anti-obesity fight
Simon Stevens says repeated warnings have been ignored and ‘we must lead national effort to tackle crisis’

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... sity-fight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:An ok summary from McBride on the current financial chaos, bit muted in his criticism of Osborne, there again he is taking the Mail's shilling so he has to be..

As others predicted it looks like Osbornes decision to go for 5 year fixed parliaments has bitten him. There are a lot of signs that the best year for the economy was going to be 2014. While 2015 probably won't be a full blown recession the indicators will be flat at best.
If Labour win in 2015 & the EU/Worldwide economy does indeed flatline or worse, I can see the headlines now about Labour wrecking the recovery zzzzzzzz :?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Labour are tabling a vote of no confidence in Lord Freud, to take place during Wednesday's Opposition Day debate. Yet again David "Sure Hands" Cameron has fumbled the ball!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mi ... ng-4461334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a good performance by Andy Burnham on Marr's show I thought.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
dominic dyer @domdyer70 · 13h 13 hours ago
Rumours in Westminster growing Owen Paterson ready to jump ship to UKIP should Mark Reckless become second UKIP MP
Go on Patsy - jump, jump to where you belong.
Reckon all the Tories are thinking that if there enough of them defecting to UKIP that they can oust Farage?
I wonder if there'll come a point at which Farridge realises that actually, having the most vacuous and air-headed of the Upper Class Twits of The Year won't be that popular? What then? Sent 'em back to Dave? Get Uncle Rupert to find some more? Paterson would fit the UKIP mould though - baseless slightly irritated empty waffle combined with a (scarcely believable) inability to focus or understand anything deeper than the next visit to the 'trough of free money'.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Labour are tabling a vote of no confidence in Lord Freud, to take place during Wednesday's Opposition Day debate. Yet again David "Sure Hands" Cameron has fumbled the ball!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mi ... ng-4461334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rats - didn't know Burnham was on...did catch a few minutes of Barroso being slightly surprised by the fact that the person in front of him was asking questions but obviously not listening to the answers...

'Migration is a REAL problem'

'Well, latest figures show between 1.5m and 2m Britons working and/or living in the EU'

'Yes - but in British politics migration has taken centre stage'

'It's important to distinguish between inside and outside EU when discussing migration'

'Yes - but migration is a REAL problem and what can our fantastic Prime Minister, the wonderful Mr Cameron do - what sort of changes can he negotiate to deal with this VERY REAL problem of migration?'

(Not verbatim, natch)

As for Fraud - glad to see Ed not letting up - and old Cleggy's in a bit of a position too, I'd have thought - won't want to bring down the architect of 'Benefits Bashing' following his enthusiastic support of the 'Austerity - TINA - benefits bill too high so the poor, sick and disabled must be made to work' but will need to back up the 'his comments are offensive' line. The thing about all of this for me, though, is that it shows just how protected Cameron is - 'doesn't reflect the views of Government' - so go on then, Dave - why's he still in your Government?...but more to the point, why isn't anyone from the MSM asking you?
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Lonewolfie wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Labour are tabling a vote of no confidence in Lord Freud, to take place during Wednesday's Opposition Day debate. Yet again David "Sure Hands" Cameron has fumbled the ball!

Rats - didn't know Burnham was on...did catch a few minutes of Barroso being slightly surprised by the fact that the person in front of him was asking questions but obviously not listening to the answers...

'Migration is a REAL problem'

'Well, latest figures show between 1.5m and 2m Britons working and/or living in the EU'

'Yes - but in British politics migration has taken centre stage'

'It's important to distinguish between inside and outside EU when discussing migration'

'Yes - but migration is a REAL problem and what can our fantastic Prime Minister, the wonderful Mr Cameron do - what sort of changes can he negotiate to deal with this VERY REAL problem of migration?'

(Not verbatim, natch)

As for Fraud - glad to see Ed not letting up - and old Cleggy's in a bit of a position too, I'd have thought - won't want to bring down the architect of 'Benefits Bashing' following his enthusiastic support of the 'Austerity - TINA - benefits bill too high so the poor, sick and disabled must be made to work' but will need to back up the 'his comments are offensive' line. The thing about all of this for me, though, is that it shows just how protected Cameron is - 'doesn't reflect the views of Government' - so go on then, Dave - why's he still in your Government?...but more to the point, why isn't anyone from the MSM asking you?
Burnham being on was the only reason I watched it; Marr's show annoys me, and the shouting disturbed the neighbours so much they took out a restraining order! :D

Rachel Reeves (go on, spit if you must) is making that point about the Lib-Dems, challenging them to vote for the motion of Wednesday; if they do they'll upset their coalition partners further, if they don't then they can be accused of supporting his position regarding the disabled - it is a very neat little trap. Crosby will have to muster the troops on this one, those of you who haven't given up on Sparrow's blog * can expect much spinning from RingPiece and the sock puppets on Wednesday!

* Masochists. :rofl:
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Re. Freud.

The difficulty with tabling a vote of no confidence in his case is that his many and various incompetencies and insults have gone on for a very long time, and Labour has let them go again and again. If this is on the basis of the straw that broke the camel's back, it's not really going to work because the apologists for Freud are already saying that what he meant was the government should top up low wages with Universal Credit.
Cue Tory MPs droning on about how it's only fair to compensate employers if they are saintly enough to take on a disabled employee....

There are many many reasons why a vote of no confidence in Freud (AND IDS) should be tabled - the profligate spending on Universal Credit with no real progress on the roll-out; the Work Programme with its dismal results; the fact that a million people are still waiting for their first ESA or PIP assessments; the rise in the Housing Benefit bill of £4 Billion since 2010; the increased sanctions; there's plenty more.

I really don't think this one will go anywhere - but if, just for once, it does, all that will happen is one moronic ideologue gets moved maybe.
The rest of the crumbling edifice will carry on as now and nothing will change.

I appreciate that Labour feel the need to challenge this - but they are not asking the right questions most of the time and they are not putting forward solid policies a lot of the time. I am sick to death of the silence on what they will actually DO and I am bored to tears with Reeves and Green saying they'll make sure disabled people (skip the sick) will get better work chances but doing nothing else apart from unspecified "reform" of the WCA. They have said very little about sanctions and all manner of ills the poorest of us are suffering.

Yes, I'm glad they're doing this. But how I wish they'd do more.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ephemerid wrote:Re. Freud.

The difficulty with tabling a vote of no confidence in his case is that his many and various incompetencies and insults have gone on for a very long time, and Labour has let them go again and again. If this is on the basis of the straw that broke the camel's back, it's not really going to work because the apologists for Freud are already saying that what he meant was the government should top up low wages with Universal Credit.
Cue Tory MPs droning on about how it's only fair to compensate employers if they are saintly enough to take on a disabled employee....

There are many many reasons why a vote of no confidence in Freud (AND IDS) should be tabled - the profligate spending on Universal Credit with no real progress on the roll-out; the Work Programme with its dismal results; the fact that a million people are still waiting for their first ESA or PIP assessments; the rise in the Housing Benefit bill of £4 Billion since 2010; the increased sanctions; there's plenty more.

I really don't think this one will go anywhere - but if, just for once, it does, all that will happen is one moronic ideologue gets moved maybe.
The rest of the crumbling edifice will carry on as now and nothing will change.

I appreciate that Labour feel the need to challenge this - but they are not asking the right questions most of the time and they are not putting forward solid policies a lot of the time. I am sick to death of the silence on what they will actually DO and I am bored to tears with Reeves and Green saying they'll make sure disabled people (skip the sick) will get better work chances but doing nothing else apart from unspecified "reform" of the WCA. They have said very little about sanctions and all manner of ills the poorest of us are suffering.

Yes, I'm glad they're doing this. But how I wish they'd do more.
You are totally correct of course and I agree, I wish they would do more too. Reeves' silence on many things gives her critics, from all sides, far too many opportunities to attack her; I don't think she is a female IDS, and I don't think she is Liam Byrne in a wig ..... problem is, know of us know what she is, whether she is a continuation of the problem or the beginning of the solution.

Re. the vote changing nothing, I'm not so sure; if they can get rid of that particular "moronic ideologue" haven't they removed the final support for that crumbling edifice? Freud is the brains behind all of this - he has to be, because Wally Smith sure ain't bright enough - so take him out of the picture and the whole house of cards could, indeed should, crumble; if all you are left with is Smith and McVey you are left with less than nothing. Reeves knows that and could be looking on this as the lever to bring the whole sorry mess crashing down around Cameron's ears. Let us hope she is right.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good afternoon.

Andrew Selous risks new storm with remarks over efforts to widen labour force, as David Blunkett enters row over blind writer being 'happy to work for less' than sighted colleagues

A second government minister made contentious comments over the disabled and their role in the workplace at the Conservative Party's annual conference last month, The Independent on Sunday can reveal. (Independent)
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 04276.html

Apologies if this is a repeat - I haven't caught up yet.
Sticky99
Backbencher

Post by Sticky99 »

Afternoon all,

Reading Dominic Lawson’s piece in the Sunday Times frustrates me, he wrote about Fraud’s comments on the minimum wage. Just like that Tory audience on Question Time, he conveniently made critics of Fraud the enemies and insinuated like Fraud was some sort of innocent saint.

Lawson’s main argument was that because disabled people often can’t produce what able-bodied people can, they can’t expect the minimum wage if they can’t produce what businesses expect. That sort of mentality is the precise problem here. Disabled people, like any person in fact, should be treated for who they are and for their worth to an organisation.

I think this argument about ultimate output is perhaps why the private sector gets such a bad reputation. The physically disabled, mentally disabled, ethnic minorities, young and inexperienced, and the elderly often get shunned from employers. These are valid members of society, yet the private sector frequently shuns these groups out of employment.

Whose fault is this – the employer or the employee? People like Dominic Lawson need to answer why employers don’t want to pay a miserly £6.50 per hour. This argument that people should work for less than the NMW is especially ridiculous, considering the NMW is losing its worth with the rising cost of living.

Apologists of Fraud frequently point out that very few disabled people are in employment. However this is a problem that has existed for decades, way before the NMW was introduced in 1998. The bare, fundamental problem is that many employers aren’t interested in people with what they consider to have problems; be that disability, illness, skin colour or age.

Of course this is a murky area because Lawson himself has a disabled daughter. Perhaps he felt more qualified than others to write about the topic because of his own personal experience, but I look at it in a different way. He, like Norman Tebbit and Cameron almost speak and write in a manner that suggests that they can’t personally be criticised, because of their respective experiences with disabled family members. They should be the very people championing better pay for disabled people because incur higher living costs, they should acutely be aware of this.

Cameron unfortunately uses Ivan as a political football, most recently at the Tory conference he said he doesn’t need lectures on using the NHS – an obvious link towards taking Ivan to an NHS hospital. However, do such emotional appeals suddenly make the privatisation of the NHS more acceptable?

Out of respect to his son, he shouldn’t mention Ivan to get votes or try and disguise the deficiencies of his NHS reforms by playing on peoples heartstrings.

If these right wingers truly cared about disabled people in general, they quite simply wouldn’t be Tory apologists or part of the Tory party.

Lawson said that his daughter loves doing unpaid work because of the dignity and worth of doing work. That may be very well, but a key element of work is being paid like everyone else, and being paid at comparable rates to others. Take that element out of work, and you have a two-tier system in the lower wage market – as if the NMW wasn’t low enough already.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Latest YouGov doesn't seem to have been posted here - Lab 35 Con 32 UKIP 16 LibDem 7 Green 5 Approval -23.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sticky99
Backbencher

Post by Sticky99 »

I really do get fed up of the line "Our long-term economic plan is working". I don't think it is.

Right to buy, bullying people into workfare, traineeships etc is short-termism. Osborne is a man of quick, cheap political stunts - far from any long-term plan.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

:shock:
Dave Jones ‏@WelshGasDoc 3h3 hours ago

It's 80s Weekend on the #XFactor, so let's remind ourselves of the great fashions and the hairstyles of the day...

Retweet
Favorite
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

refitman wrote::shock:

It's 80s Weekend on the #XFactor, so let's remind ourselves of the great fashions and the hairstyles of the day...

Retweet
Favorite
Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The truth ferret speaks!
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

mbc1955 wrote:
refitman wrote::shock:

Retweet
Favorite
Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I always wondered what happened to Pat Sharp.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

McKinsey’s unhealthy profits

Stewart Player and Colin Leys on the consultancy firm making a fortune from the privatisation of the NHS
July 2012

http://www.redpepper.org.uk/mckinseys-u ... y-profits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tory Lord Freud's family charity is spending more on stock market investments than good causes

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... ty-4463854
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TGS and Sticky - more of my thoughts.....

It seems to me that, over the years, the baby's been thrown out with the bathwater as far as employment for people with disabilities is concerned.

When we had the old Green Card system, if someone registered as disabled, they could apply for work under the old quotas. Those quotas recognised that an employer could lose productivity if someone with a disability worked less efficiently than an able-bodied worker.
The thing was - and this is important - that the employer would be compensated for that loss of productivity provided it was demonstrable.
I was a DEA when the register was dismantled; at the time the DDA was supposed to ensure that people with disabilities got equality with their able-bodied peers, and the Access To Work scheme was brought in to address employers' concerns. It was under-funded and didn't work for certain types of worker; although it was good for people who wanted to work in an office and just needed a bit of equipment.
Big retail took on a lot of people who had learning difficulties but with physical strength - they were great for shelf-stacking and whatnot, and if they did well a lot of them got moved up to work on tills; but of course they were paid proper wages.

This productivity question is not something we can hide from - it's a real issue. The problem now is that if someone with these difficulties is not considered "worth" NMW, and the benefits system prevents then from doing Permitted Work or voluntary work, they're stuck with nothing to do.
Practical jobs - gardening, factory work, etc - is good for people who are essentially fit but mentally a bit less acute; but I have to say that I have sympathy for employers who want to take people on but know they'll be out of pocket if they do. There's a limit to altruism.
Remploy bridged the gap to a limited degree, but it's on the way out.

The biggest issue is wages - for NMW workers, the new "self-employed", and now this nonsense from Freud. The in-work benefits bill keeps on rising, and Universal Credit will not help much - what it might save will be taken from claimants, not employers or anyone else.
When even median wages are not enough for people to live on in certain parts of the country, this situation will never get better.
As it is, the taxpayers is subsidising employers with ta credits and housing benefit - that will continue under UC too.

To even consider paying £2 an hour to a disabled person and then the taxpayer hands £4.50 to the employer plus whatever in-work benefits the worker will need to claim is beyond ridiculous. I've been saying for a very long time that we need to keep the Permitted Work system.
If someone - someone like the example Scott and Freud were discussing - wants to do bits of work for pocket money, the PW system would have let him do it. Bloke with garden gets his work done slowly for not a lot; worker gets a bit of money that won't affect his benefits - and that is the sort of informal arrangement that a lot of people probably engage in and nobody's any the wiser.

Is it exploitation? I'm not sure. Is it therapy? Possibly. Either way, Freud is not the man to make that judgement.
He is also responsible for the "reforms" that have led to many long-term sick and/or disabled people not being allowed to volunteer any more - if they try, they're not available for real work, and if they don't do a jobcentre-directed "voluntary" job they get sanctioned; on top of that, any work they do or say they can do will result in removal of IB or ESA because they are effectively declaring that they are capable of work.
Freud is the person behind all this, of course.

Someone needs to sit down and work out some sort of plan that could involve all of the things that have gone - quotas, perhaps; better Access To Work funding; subsidised workplaces like Remploy factories (which occasionally defy expectation and make a profit); and the revival of the Permitted Work system. All these things have their good points - surely it isn't beyond the wit of someone, what with all their degrees and whatnot, to work out a solution?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

We were thinking Rachel Reeves had been rather quiet - well, very quiet - of late. She has just written to IDS re Universal Credit ... seeking answers on rather a lot of issues. I'm glad she is challenging him - but the basis of her challenge still seems far too technical. Get an injection of humanity Rachel ... please ask about the impact of all the problems you have identified on the very real people affected by them.
Exclusive: An open letter to Iain Duncan Smith: Universal Credit questions that need answering
http://leftfootforward.org/2014/10/open ... answering/
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

One of my granddaughters is autistic. She's eighteen in December and will leave her special school next year. I dread to think what will happen to her. She's adapted well to some situations and senses what's expected of her which leads some people to think there's nothing wrong but other times she just can't cope. I'm trying not to think about it.
People with learning disabilities put up with so much. I've seen some real bravery from her and her brother when they've been trying to be 'normal' to, 'fit in'.
They are always on the outskirts of society but very aware of their position. Life shouldn't be made even harder for them.

I hate those bastard Tories with a passion!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:We were thinking Rachel Reeves had been rather quiet - well, very quiet - of late. She has just written to IDS re Universal Credit ... seeking answers on rather a lot of issues. I'm glad she is challenging him - but the basis of her challenge still seems far too technical. Get an injection of humanity Rachel ... please ask about the impact of all the problems you have identified on the very real people affected by them.
Exclusive: An open letter to Iain Duncan Smith: Universal Credit questions that need answering
Forensic I would have said.

Reeves has being doing a serious quantity of homework. That is a fantastic set of questions, the sort of thing I would be asking if I was signing off the implementation. The problem is that this close to an election there has to be an attack strategy behind it.

Perhaps the plan is to declare it buggered, claim abolishing it will save a load of cash and then spend the nominal cash on a popular policy like sorting out vocational training.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:We were thinking Rachel Reeves had been rather quiet - well, very quiet - of late. She has just written to IDS re Universal Credit ... seeking answers on rather a lot of issues. I'm glad she is challenging him - but the basis of her challenge still seems far too technical. Get an injection of humanity Rachel ... please ask about the impact of all the problems you have identified on the very real people affected by them.

Reeves has being doing a serious quantity of homework. That is a fantastic set of questions, the sort of thing I would be asking if I was signing off the implementation. The problem is that this close to an election there has to be an attack strategy behind it.

Perhaps the plan is to declare it buggered, claim abolishing it will save a load of cash and then spend the nominal cash on a popular policy like sorting out vocational training.
I'd like to think she is doing exactly as you describe TE ..... but nothing that has happened so far convinces me of it, sadly. And I really don't see why she can't be forensic and human at the same time. Her arguments would carry much more weight if she was able to do both ... and why risk (well not exactly 'risk' anymore as it has pretty much happened) alienating so many groups and individuals affected by the evil and counter productive policies of IDS? She needs to carry those people with her so she can have credibility and productive dialogue with them if Labour are elected to government ....

Editing to add: Yes, I agree she's obviously been doing some homework and they are good, penetrating questions.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tory Lord Freud's family charity is spending more on stock market investments than good causes

The Mirror doesn't pull its punches does it?This is the sort of piece that the Guardian ought to be doing,a spot of investigative journalism.
My puppy is perusing the books on the first two shelves of my sitting room bookcase.Deciding which one to pull out and chew.She prefers those with a ribbon bookmark.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

The Mirror doesn't pull its punches does it?This is the sort of piece that the Guardian ought to be doing,a spot of investigative journalism.
My puppy is perusing the books on the first two shelves of my sitting room bookcase.Deciding which one to pull out and chew.She prefers those with a ribbon bookmark.
And used to do a lot more often than is the case now :roll:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Bought my niece, when she was doing A level art a book on Degas, paid £40 for it, after she had finished her projects she give it back to me, I put it on the bottom of the bookcase, Angus chewed it, since found out the book has doubled in price, be careful what he chews..
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Do we know why it might be building its reserves up? Could be a particular project it has in mind.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ever play bingo, go to the pub,do shopping: no patient transport for you
http://davidhencke.wordpress.com/2014/1 ... t-for-you/
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Do we know why it might be building its reserves up? Could be a particular project it has in mind.
Lord Frauds retirement perhaps?
Release the Guardvarks.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Rebecca wrote: The Mirror doesn't pull its punches does it?This is the sort of piece that the Guardian ought to be doing,a spot of investigative journalism.
Lord Frauds retirement perhaps?

Does anyone know what happens to money a charity has invested if that charity dissolves ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

This may take some time to read.

Charities and reserves (CC19)
https://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/p ... /cc19.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Westmonster Loafers.jpg
Westmonster Loafers.jpg (70.91 KiB) Viewed 13618 times
We cannot have people loafing around, doing nothing and expecting the state to finance their lifestyles - Lord Freud
https://twitter.com/chunkymark
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

yahyah wrote:This may take some time to read.

https://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/p ... /cc19.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well having read it I struggle to see how a charity funding 37k of projects needs such a stupid amount of reserves. I would have thought that without some pretty good explanations those investments should be liable for tax.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
yahyah wrote:This may take some time to read.

Well having read it I struggle to see how a charity funding 37k of projects needs such a stupid amount of reserves. I would have thought that without some pretty good explanations those investments should be liable for tax.
There's an awful lot of 'charities' doing similar .......... been going on for aeons.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

I'd like to think she is doing exactly as you describe TE ..... but nothing that has happened so far convinces me of it, sadly. And I really don't see why she can't be forensic and human at the same time. Her arguments would carry much more weight if she was able to do both ... and why risk (well not exactly 'risk' anymore as it has pretty much happened) alienating so many groups and individuals affected by the evil and counter productive policies of IDS? She needs to carry those people with her so she can have credibility and productive dialogue with them if Labour are elected to government ....

Editing to add: Yes, I agree she's obviously been doing some homework and they are good, penetrating questions.

Yes, they are good questions.

No, I remain unimpressed.

Why?

Because she says this - "These meetings confirmed to me that the principle of Universal Credit that could bring real benefits to claimants, communities, and taxpayers" - and that's where is she is utterly wrong.

The principle of a universal standard benefit is a good one; the idea of a citizens income is even better; but Universal Credit is none of those things and is, as I know having read all the legislation and guidance, guaranteed to NOT bring any "real benefits" to claimants and thus the communities in which they live. Whether it will ever bring any benefit to the taxpayer is looking increasingly unlikely.

The six separate payments rolled into UC are those which affect only the sick, unemployed, and working poor. All the other bits and bobs in the benefit system remain largely intact, if harder to claim and becoming worth less as time goes on.
The alleged projected savings (claimed by DWP to be £35 Billion), if they ever happen, will involve loss to claimants - nobody else.
There is nowhere else for the saving to come from.

UC has been dogged by problems; the system is rubbish; the premise is flawed; the expense is astronomical; seven bosses so far; hundreds of millions wasted on fiddling about and a thing called a reset: on and on it goes, and the roll-out is years behind schedule.

People are right to be worried - all the current ESA/IB/IS/JSA/tax Credit/Housing Benefit claimants, some 9 million people and rising, will all be on this system and they will all be subject to conditions and sanctions. It's obvious where this is going.

Reeves is god - as TE suggests - at "forensics". She's a bean-counter by trade, and that's what you'd expect. But this is not going to achieve anything, even if IDS bothers to read it.

Labour may well be playing a long game on various policies or whatever - but on this I am running out of patience. Again and again we get this faffing about and at no point is there a single front-bench Labour politician who will rip Tory policy to shreds - they will not get rid of ESA, they will "reform" the WCA, they are silent on PIP, they "support the principle" of UC...... assuming they know what it is.

Not good enough. Sorry.

I'm so cross my spelling's gone to pot. Rachel Reeves is manifestly not god.
Last edited by ephemerid on Sun 19 Oct, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

EdMilibandOnPicketLine.jpg
EdMilibandOnPicketLine.jpg (57.63 KiB) Viewed 13609 times
Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 29m29 minutes ago
Had literally no idea that Ed Miliband stood on the Picket Line with Nurses this week. The BBC just didn't report it
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

From the lunacy that is current Scottish politics.

From 2013:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Release ... is11032013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Even with a cautious estimate of prices remaining at $113 a barrel being used, it’s clear that Scottish oil and gas could generate more revenues than has previously been assumed. Indeed, the scenarios examined – and based on recent investment and price trends – identify the potential for total revenues over the next six years of between £41 and £57 billion. Taking an average, that would be £48 billion coming from the North Sea during that period – revenues that with independence could have been put to use in Scotland, supporting our public services and investing in our future.

Current price: $86 a barrel

I guess lining up with the Tories and being "negative" are more important than being right. SNP need this rammed down their throat.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

150 jobs under threat at Welsh tax offices, says HMRC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-29653314
They're not just 'under threat' .... they're definitely going according to the report.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
150 jobs under threat at Welsh tax offices, says HMRC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-29653314
They're not just 'under threat' .... they're definitely going according to the report.
The tax office is closing 14 offices across the UK by December 2015, including ones in Carmarthen, Colwyn Bay, Merthyr Tydfil and Pembroke Dock.
Lucky those places are all full of millionaires who buy Sam Cam handbags.

Fair play for Mark Serwotka for using official estimates on the tax gap rather than ones by Richard Murphy which are easily laughed off.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Big Society exclusive: Taxpayer-funded grants were paid ‘under intense pressure’ to Cameron-founded charity by Nesta
Report concludes that a public body was lobbied to award nearly £500,000 to charity launched by David Cameron

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 04893.html
Individuals with links to the Conservatives put “intense pressure” on a public body to give taxpayers’ money to a charity that collapsed leaving a string of failed projects, a report has concluded.

In the six months after the last election, Nesta (the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts) agreed to give two grants worth nearly £500,000 to the Big Society Network (BSN). The Government has always maintained that the grants were awarded properly.

But now, an internal review by Nesta’s chief executive has revealed that a senior adviser working for David Cameron directly lobbied the organisation to fund the BSN...
This puts even more detail on an already very very shabby tale ...

It's good the Indy aren't giving up on this. I hope some names will be named and Cameron is embarrassed - yet again.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Jonathan Portes - a good read

Immigration: Could we – should we – stop migrants coming to Britain?
Britain is convulsed with anxiety about immigration, with claims of too many EU citizens coming here, the benefits system being abused and wages being forced down. An expert on immigration looks at the evidence.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
EdMilibandOnPicketLine.jpg
Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 29m29 minutes ago
Had literally no idea that Ed Miliband stood on the Picket Line with Nurses this week. The BBC just didn't report it
Actually Eoin got that one slightly wrong. Those are the care workers striking for a living wage at Care UK in Doncaster; a lot of the usual suspects have been whining that Ed hadn't supported the strikers in anyway, hopefully that picture will shut them up!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Big Society exclusive: Taxpayer-funded grants were paid ‘under intense pressure’ to Cameron-founded charity by Nesta
Report concludes that a public body was lobbied to award nearly £500,000 to charity launched by David Cameron

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 04893.html
Individuals with links to the Conservatives put “intense pressure” on a public body to give taxpayers’ money to a charity that collapsed leaving a string of failed projects, a report has concluded.

In the six months after the last election, Nesta (the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts) agreed to give two grants worth nearly £500,000 to the Big Society Network (BSN). The Government has always maintained that the grants were awarded properly.

But now, an internal review by Nesta’s chief executive has revealed that a senior adviser working for David Cameron directly lobbied the organisation to fund the BSN...
This puts even more detail on an already very very shabby tale ...

It's good the Indy aren't giving up on this. I hope some names will be named and Cameron is embarrassed - yet again.
All that Blairite fixing, a thing of the past, I see.