Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th October 2014

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Jonathan Portes ‏@jdportes 2h2 hours ago
OBR estimates cost of mismanaged rollout of Employment & Support Allowance at £3bn/year.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

seeingclearly wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
HindleA wrote:@sticky99
Where were the "in context" apologists when Freud was repeating ad infinitum "changing behaviour" in policies directed equally to those too sick/disabled to work and Carers who have no conditionality.They excuse him because they are excusing themselves,cowardness and bullydom are two sides of the same coin.
On Friday's "Any Questions" Hesletine continually referred to disabled as "handicapped" I've not heard that term since heaven knows when, yet I not seen or heard anyone condemn him for it. This seems to me to be (quietly) "changing the debate" about how we view disability, with no one objecting.
Strange times

Handicapped is the term used in NA, the US and Canada both use it. Also used by airlines sometimes. I hadn't heard it used for decades till I landed in Montreal and had the assistance helper and a taxi driver argue over my head calling me handicapped. Which is by way of explaining everything that is wrong with the term, it's a label that can be substituted for the person, and allows people to do that kind of stuff, argue as it you have no voice of your own.*

It's been frowned on for a long time here, it's just impolite and backward looking. If anyone has a time and date reference for me I'll be more than happy to draw attention to it.

*(Having said that it was this end at which I found some of the most awful treatment of disabled people, often large numbers and some of them very frail and elderly, dumped at various very unsuitable collection points while in transit sometimes for hours at a time, and only picked up with minutes to go before check-in (think no loos, no drinks or food, no assistance, and surly adolescent security workers) , a real eye-opener only mitigated by the decency of a single assistance worker who breached all the rules by wheeling me from one terminal to another rather than leaving me alone at a pickup point in the abysmal and bitterly cold dawn. The wait had been estimated at ninety minutes, his own experience said a possible two hours! No driver on site and the one due was being supplied by our friendly airport security company, no prizes offered.)

Cant give a time he said it, but its in this one, have a listen to it first to verify the context it was used. I found it offensive at the time (last night) but as no one else has expressed a view, in the press or twitter, I'm wondering if I miss heard

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04l3ly4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Curiosity value, what the equivalent in England be on?

http://jobs.theguardian.com/job/4968181 ... dis_231806" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:I had a feeling that the march would be very well supported. We generally go if Unite have chartered a train (they usually do) and we'd expected to travel down this time on said train. It was actually over a week ago that we found out that the train was already fully booked up, preventing us going (otherwise it's too bloody expensive). If it was full over a week ago (it generally doesn't fill up that fast) it should give you an idea of how many people were there.

I think someone was smiling down on the marchers. What's the saying that mentions the righteous? Rain during the night which cleared. It turned into a beautiful day. And very mild.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
pk1 wrote:@Ephe if you're looking in, I saw this & thought of you

http://www.tracyscraftshop.co.uk/dragon ... -1441.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you, pk - lovely, but a bit steep at the price.....perhaps I could make one.....

Anyway. On Freud.....

I have been posting over at the G to try to explain to the righties why Freud is being more than a tad disingenuous re. pay etc. and why he is the embodiment of what the Tories actually think about people who have disabilities....especially the "mentally damaged".

Freud was asked by Blair in 2006 to do an independent review of the social security system as it was then. He went way beyond his brief. From claiming to know absolutely noting about it, his plans for reform were presented within just three weeks.
He was very keen to encourage Purnell to continue with what Peter Lilley had started with Unum, and we all know what came of that.
By 2009, he was so annoyed that his ideas were not being taken up in their entirety and stated his view that Labour would not go far enough, that he left to join the Conservatives and has been the mastermind behind making IDS's ideology happen.

If he knew anything about social security provision for disabled people - and, more to the point, how and why it all came about - he would know why paying disabled people less than the able-bodied/minded is so repugnant and why certain legislation exists.

Most of you probably know all this, but this is what Freud clearly doesn't know or chooses to ignore -

Major's government passed the Disability Discrimination Act in 2005, which abolished the old Disabled Persons Register.
The DPR included the Green Card system in which companies of a certain size were required to employ disabled people.
This was a quota system, and the employer was compensated for any demonstrable loss of productivity by percentage.
It was abolished in favour of positive discrimination by which employers were required by law to interview a disabled candidate if they had the qualifications for the job; Access To Work was brought in so employers could adapt the workplace as necessary.
This did not result in more people with disabilities being employed.

Major's government introduced IB in 1995, with the system of Permitted Work for those able to do odd bits now and then.
IB/PW allowed for people to earn £15 with no penalty; more than that and IB was reduced pro-rata.
Freud's ideas helped set the parameters of ESA, and it was that which included the abolition of IB and Permitted Work.
People who used to do bits of work for pocket money (like the man in the recent row) could do so and keep their benefits.
People with fluctuating conditions could work as and when able, but keep their claims open if that was less than 2 weeks.
A lot of people with learning difficulties did voluntary work to keep busy; many charity shops would not cope without them.
Remploy factories began to be closed, and Remploy itself told to concentrate on being a sort of employment agency.

Since 2011, DWP has continued with the abolition of IB and the Permitted Work system has not been replaced.
JSA and ESA claimants are now forbidden from organising their own voluntary work or skills training.
They can only "volunteer" via the jobcentre and a Work Programme provider; once they have done so, their placement becomes mandatory after 1 week and if they leave or miss a day they will be sanctioned.
Remploy factories are being closed in much larger numbers, and most of those laid off are still claiming JSA.
The land and assets are being sold off commercially. Even factories which made a profit are going.
The abolition of the Independent Living Fund, with un-ringfenced local provision which has been devolved by central government with a funding drop of 20%, means that those who the ILF enables to work may not be able to work at all.

There is plenty more of this - but Freud has been instrumental in removing the very things that help disabled people to work, and he also knows that employers are reluctant to employ disabled people or people who have long-term sickness.
What he seems to be suggesting now is that an employer can pay £2 an hour rather than the £6.50 an hour NMW, and the Universal Credit will top up the loss of wages. This is not possible under the current legislation and guidance for UC.
If someone went self-employed on their £2 an hour, under UC they would get nothing - because the assumption for UC is that self-employed people are earning the equivalent of 35 hours a week at NMW as a starting point.

If he thinks that it would be OK for an employer to pay £2 an hour to disabled people, how long would it be before employers started to ask for reduced wages for older people (not too quick, are they?) or single mums (unreliable?) or youngsters (no experience?)

Whilst I agree that if Worker A takes an hour to make widget, and Worker B takes two, it might make sense to compensate a willing employer for the loss of productivity - and back to the quota system we go. Personally, I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

But that's not what he seems to be saying. And from a man who calls people like me "stock", and who has systematically removed support from sick and disabled people, including children, he has no interest in making life better for disabled people.
If getting employers interested is the sticking point, perhaps the government should set a business employing disabled workers? I bet it would be a popular move. Could call it Remploy or suchlike.
Remembering my surprise at being taken to visit a locked area of a Midlands day centre, and finding behind the scenes a Remploy enclave, bagging nails for a fiver a week over their benefits, and bloody good at it they were too. They were all people with 'learning disabilities' another label I'm not that keen on. What puzzled me was why they were not getting the twenty quid that people on job schemes were then being given. The centre manager had no say in this, it was all in place when he took up the position.

All men, they were a great group of people, good humoured and proud of their 'work'. For some years I used to encounter the fruits of their effort in little independent shops, that sold small quantities of nails, screws, etc with a very high markup.

We thought it bad then that they didn't get the same as people on the schemes, and were in a secure area with so little freedom. In hindsight they were much safer and better looked after then.

The day centres have largely gone, they were purpose built or fitted, now replaced by unsuitable buildings, and serving very few people. Staff are mainly agency workers. One reported recently on how they were shunted from one unsuitable building, to an even worse one, and had to unload service users at the same time they were setting up the new place. No adaptations in place.

Remploy wasn't perfect, but it could have been a real bridge to better opportunity. There's not much of it left now Instead we now have a near vacuum, and a mess so vast it's going to take a while to sort out, even with a better government. It wasn't just bags of nails they supplied, a lot of school chairs and tables were assembled by learning disabled people, and there were factories that produced packing material, boxes, and so on. They had, iirc, a big contract with the post office,so any one of us might have bought something made by a Remploy worker.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: On Friday's "Any Questions" Hesletine continually referred to disabled as "handicapped" I've not heard that term since heaven knows when, yet I not seen or heard anyone condemn him for it. This seems to me to be (quietly) "changing the debate" about how we view disability, with no one objecting.
Strange times

Handicapped is the term used in NA, the US and Canada both use it. Also used by airlines sometimes. I hadn't heard it used for decades till I landed in Montreal and had the assistance helper and a taxi driver argue over my head calling me handicapped. Which is by way of explaining everything that is wrong with the term, it's a label that can be substituted for the person, and allows people to do that kind of stuff, argue as it you have no voice of your own.*

It's been frowned on for a long time here, it's just impolite and backward looking. If anyone has a time and date reference for me I'll be more than happy to draw attention to it.

*(Having said that it was this end at which I found some of the most awful treatment of disabled people, often large numbers and some of them very frail and elderly, dumped at various very unsuitable collection points while in transit sometimes for hours at a time, and only picked up with minutes to go before check-in (think no loos, no drinks or food, no assistance, and surly adolescent security workers) , a real eye-opener only mitigated by the decency of a single assistance worker who breached all the rules by wheeling me from one terminal to another rather than leaving me alone at a pickup point in the abysmal and bitterly cold dawn. The wait had been estimated at ninety minutes, his own experience said a possible two hours! No driver on site and the one due was being supplied by our friendly airport security company, no prizes offered.)

Cant give a time he said it, but its in this one, have a listen to it first to verify the context it was used. I found it offensive at the time (last night) but as no one else has expressed a view, in the press or twitter, I'm wondering if I miss heard

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04l3ly4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, AAW, you heard right. I listened to it today and was as surprised / disappointed as you when I heard him use it - and he used it more than once.
Working on the wild side.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Thanks AAW, I'll have a listen and if I find it too I'll see what can be done. We used to lead the world in all this but there was always still a long way to go. Drives me nuts seeing things going backwards.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

when my youngest son went completely deaf in both ears,quite suddenly. The firm he worked for at the time treated him very badly,then when he left to have treatment,they went bust.
Fortunately for my son he was put in touch with remploy and they were lovely with him,found a job for him in no time. since then the job wenr south and he is practically invisible now each time he applies for work. He's been out of work for a long time now,it's a disgrace.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Occupy have taken over Parliament Square ..
http://bambuser.com/v/5008113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ivan White ‏@ivanwhite48 · 2m2 minutes ago
They made a Mandela film, Mandela died. They made Great Train Robbery programme, Biggs died. Time for IDS, the movie? http://twishort.com/0x9gc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was going to add a LOL!
But then I read the link - its to a list of people who have died under IDS.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

...and then we get this
Richest MP in Britain slams welfare state but makes £625k a year in housing benefit
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ri ... LU.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:fire: :fire:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

EX UKIP MEP Charged With Fraud

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/ukip//archive/10/2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mark Reckless refuses to back scrapping HS2 in first public split with Ukip leader Nigel Farage
Former Tory MP tells The Telegraph he stands by previous HS2 support despite Ukip officially opposing plan and Mr Farage calling it 'undesirable, unwanted and unloved'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... arage.html
That honeymoon didn't last long did it. :roll:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian Kerr ‏@IanKerr 6h6 hours ago
#FionaWoolf closes her twitter account, probably to be blamed on trolls but people are rightfully angry, 100 days and not 1 statement. #CSA
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

BTL on Lib Dem Voice is surpassing itself on this post. Some of the comments are very funny - both unintentionally (the wonderful Eddie Sammon and his truly extraordinary style and syntax which renders everything he writes into ... well it's hard to describe, see below) and some intentionally (I presume).

Danny Alexander, not Vince Cable, designated Lib Dem shadow chancellor (oh, and no Lib Dem reshuffle)
http://www.libdemvoice.org/guardian-dan ... 42968.html
Eddie Sammon 18th Oct '14 - 1:24am
I’ve not got inside knowledge, but I think I am quite a well informed observer and I think Danny was best for the job. I understand that Vince has more gravitas, but at the end of the day Vince wasn’t able to convince me on some of his opinions and I trust Danny’s politics more.

When it comes to not being able to get a woman in the cabinet: this would have been ideal, but we know Nick wouldn’t have discriminated against her for being a woman. The Lib Dems have got big problems in this area. I have tried to do my tiny bit by raising the profile of women who stand out for me, more than I would have done for a man, but some women in the party (not necessarily the parliamentary party) don’t help themselves by adopting unpopular positions and then demanding to be promoted because they are a woman. It’s got to be almost entirely based on merit.

Regards
Is he for real?

Other favourites include:
JohnTilley 18th Oct '14 - 5:57am
The Lib Dems will have gone an entire five years in government without a single one of our female MPs becoming a cabinet minister.

But thanks to the electoral brilliance of Clegg and Coetzee we can now point out the 100% of our MEPs are a woman.

and

Richard 18th Oct '14 - 8:54am
I heard Danny Alexander describe the coalition’s first budget to a group of finance directors in the city. To describe his performance as wooden would be an insult to mahogany. This is a bad decision but one which is neither unexpected nor inconsistent with earlier decisions by the DPM.
And there are more ... a highly entertaining read ... but probably not the sort that LDV particularly wants.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:Ian Kerr ‏@IanKerr 6h6 hours ago
#FionaWoolf closes her twitter account, probably to be blamed on trolls but people are rightfully angry, 100 days and not 1 statement. #CSA
According to this she took up her position of Lord Mayor of London on 8th Nov 2013 which means she stands down next month. That was known when she was given the post.

http://www.thelordmayorsappeal.org/alde ... of-london/

May never intended anything really to happen on this - it's all about delaying until the election and then hope it'll get forgotten.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Not 1 statement after she had specifically said she would issue a statement .... or that's what I thought she had said several weeks ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Harry at the march today
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Oh dear, what will the likes of Owen Paterson and Osborne's father-in-law advocate now?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... e-war.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

If this doesn't give us all hope nothing will :D

Harry Leslie Smith @Harryslaststand · 5m 5 minutes ago

Knackered but enjoying a beer after @FestivalofIdeas & rally for #BritainNeedsAPayrise @ 91 I feel we can get Britain back from the elites
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Not 1 statement after she had specifically said she would issue a statement .... or that's what I thought she had said several weeks ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone.
Not sure about the statement but this has good info - apparently she's in front of the Home Affairs Committee on Tuesday

https://twitter.com/hashtag/CSAinquiry?src=hash
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Anti Academies ‏@antiacademies 1h1 hour ago
Looking at accounts for Academy Transformation Trust - they received almost £94m public money - 5/7 of their academies require improvement

Eye watering !
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Election Forecast UK ‏@Election4castUK 21h21 hours ago
Latest forecast update: Con 278, Lab 302, LD 26, SNP 20, UKIP 3. More details at http://electionforecast.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ukippery heading to Wales now ?
Owen Smith MP ‏@OwenSmithMP · 8h8 hours ago
UKIP presence in Pontypridd this morning -bussed in from anywhere else other than Ponty. No welcome for UKIP in these hillsides!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:Anti Academies ‏@antiacademies 1h1 hour ago
Looking at accounts for Academy Transformation Trust - they received almost £94m public money - 5/7 of their academies require improvement

Eye watering !
Expanded far too quickly and in too many areas for them to be able to control them all successfully.

Started in 2002 and by the 2010 election they ran 5 schools. They now run 76. In Sept 2012 they took over 21 schools.

And they now run them in all 9 regions of England. They only run 1 school in the North West - what's the point of that? They can't possibly be on top of what's going on as has now been proved - but it was so predictable...well, to everyone apart from Gove and his sycophants who did what he wanted.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Oh dear, what will the likes of Owen Paterson and Osborne's father-in-law advocate now?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... e-war.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry - aware of the environmental and emotional damage already caused by frackwittery but....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Anti Academies ‏@antiacademies 1h1 hour ago

Eye watering !
Expanded far too quickly and in too many areas for them to be able to control them all successfully.

Started in 2002 and by the 2010 election they ran 5 schools. They now run 76. In Sept 2012 they took over 21 schools.

And they now run them in all 9 regions of England. They only run 1 school in the North West - what's the point of that? They can't possibly be on top of what's going on as has now been proved - but it was so predictable...well, to everyone apart from Gove and his sycophants who did what he wanted.
And I think of all those children whose education is probably suffering. Criminal doesn't begin to describe it.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Lonewolfie wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Oh dear, what will the likes of Owen Paterson and Osborne's father-in-law advocate now?

Sorry - aware of the environmental and emotional damage already caused by frackwittery but....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Heart of stone Wolfie, heart of stone.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB · 25s26 seconds ago
What happened when ComRes prompted UKIP for r IoS/S Mirror poll
Con 29%-2
Lab 31%-3
LD 7%=
UKIP 24%+6
Green 5%+1
So UKIP gets a big boost
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ComRes online poll for IoS/S Mirror with UKIP unprompted as normal for firm
CON 31% (+2)
LAB 34% (-1)
LD 7% (0)
UKIP 19% (0)
GRN 4% (0)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

If you thought the really poor writing and reporting in the Guardian might just apply to politics .... think again.

This .... is soooo bad, I actually hope they didn't pay for it.
Life Story: is this David Attenborough’s swan song?
There may be cute goslings aplenty in Life Story but don’t let them distract you – this is David Attenborough preparing us for the end

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... -swan-song
Just for once BTL seems to be pretty unified in opinion ... that it's awful writing and the Guardian ought to know better than to publish such stuff.

Apparently she 'loves pissing of all fusty old white men'. That's not the only group you are pissing off with this, love.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HappyChickie is one hell of an annoying troll but you have to admit the brilliance of this final post. It's of the "have you stopped beating your wife" type of logic.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... t-42415205
Shrinks would say that returning time and time again to a thread like this, trying to convince someone that you are right (which you are not) is a sign of obsessive behaviour.
So...if I answer, then of course I'm being obsessive...and thus proving its point. Reminds me of this:

diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Sorry if posted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-29655681
David Cameron 'evades' girl's Cumbria hospital questions
Maddy told BBC Radio Cumbria: "It was really exciting when I saw it on the mat.

"But there was one problem with the letter. He didn't really answer my question."
Well, he is David Cameron.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:HappyChickie is one hell of an annoying troll but you have to admit the brilliance of this final post. It's of the "have you stopped beating your wife" type of logic.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... t-42415205
Shrinks would say that returning time and time again to a thread like this, trying to convince someone that you are right (which you are not) is a sign of obsessive behaviour.
So...if I answer, then of course I'm being obsessive...and thus proving its point. Reminds me of this:

:lol: That's a goodun.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/li ... se-4462389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maude praises job losses as the public approve of them, in the public sector of course, there again they don't give a fuck about them in the private either..
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... l-de-souza" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This will come as no surprise to anyone on here, Gove's cronies given advance warning of inspections.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

letsskiptotheleft wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... l-de-souza

This will come as no surprise to anyone on here, Gove's cronies given advance warning of inspections.
Nope, no surprise at all...there's far too many cosy little relationships in the education world as I've pointed out many times.

Should existing heads be part of Ofsted as additional inspectors? I'd say not unless it's in a completely different area.

No surprise that Robin Bosher gave them a clean bill of health when you realise where he came from before ofsted
Sir Robin Bosher joined Ofsted on 22 April 2014. Prior to this, he was the Director of Primary Education for the Harris Federation for three years. During this time, he helped open nine sponsored academies and one free school. He has recently prepared five more free schools to open in September 2014.
The whole system is rotten to the core and needs cleaning like the Augean Stables. Is Tristram Hunt a Heracles?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

UKIP Kipper Ron Northcott has declined an invite to the East End of Glasgow to discuss these tweets. Wonder why?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 96849.html

Buffoon.
The NHS would be able to afford more nurses if it could deliver safer care, Jeremy Hunt will tell health service staff today.

An independent report, commissioned by the Department of Health, has suggested that unsafe care costs the NHS between £1bn and £2.5bn a year in follow-up treatments.

The Health Secretary will say that more should be “invested in improving patient care rather than wasted on picking up the pieces when things go wrong”.

He will tell nurses that if they play their part in making the NHS “the safest healthcare organisation in the world” then money could be released for additional staff, training and “time to care”.
I guess all the bad stuff just stops in HuntWorld.
Yet would one not think that affording more nurses, more training, and more time-to-care, might lead to safer care and save more in follow-up treatments and damages payments? Ah. Spotted my mistake. Thinking plus Hunt does not compute...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

They don't seem to know when to stop digging do they ?

'Disabled are grateful so work harder', says Tory

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That they did it on email is the surprise.

Knighthood to be taken away?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

That they did it on email is the surprise.

Knighthood to be taken away?
Our company secretary stood up at a finance conference about a decade ago and said "Don't put anything on an email that you wouldn't want to see on the front of the FT tomorrow".

This was after a dawn raid by HM Customs and Excise after some of our people were joking on email about some unpaid excise duties that HMCE had seemingly forgotten about...bad idea.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Today’s poll: Is it ok for a chair of governors to be in a relationship with the head teacher?
We have a report today from a Cornish school where four governors have stepped down over a relationship between the chair of governors and the head teacher. The relationship had been fully disclosed. Do you think it is ok for this situation to occur or is it inappropriate because of potential conflict of interest?
http://schoolsimprovement.net/todays-po ... ad-teacher" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Police budget cuts: unpaid volunteers now used in key roles
Forces are taking on helpers for forensics and at crime scenes as cuts bite, says union

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... CMP=twt_gu
... Forces across the country have been taking on volunteers to fill some of the most sensitive police staff roles and some are seeking to escalate their recruitment drives. There are now 9,000 police support volunteers replacing 15,000 staff jobs lost since 2010. Some forces report plans to double or triple their voluntary staff in the next year.

A report by the public sector union, Unison, due to be published on Monday, complains that there has been no public debate about the trend for volunteers to move from peripheral roles, such as chaplain or custody visitors, to key positions. Home Office guidance on police support officers stipulates that volunteers should not under any circumstance replace the roles of directly employed police staff. Yet responses to Unison’s freedom of information requests provide a long list of job roles carried out by volunteers, many of which have been or are paid roles. These include involvement in forensics, crime scenes, the drug testing of people in custody, emergency planning, property detention, deployment management and the provision of scientific support...
I'm sort of almost speechless about this ... what the hell is this country becoming under the Tories? They are getting away with murder - virtually unchallenged. Just how many people do they want to be unpaid - how can they possibly think this is a sustainable model? Two of the most important institutions for the governance, defence and security of the UK are going to be increasingly dependent on volunteers.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:They don't seem to know when to stop digging do they ?

'Disabled are grateful so work harder', says Tory

No they certainly don't. But I'd willingly lend them a spade so they can carry on digging even deeper between now and May 2015 ... and then I hope they will disappear down the chasm they have created.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:Today’s poll: Is it ok for a chair of governors to be in a relationship with the head teacher?
We have a report today from a Cornish school where four governors have stepped down over a relationship between the chair of governors and the head teacher. The relationship had been fully disclosed. Do you think it is ok for this situation to occur or is it inappropriate because of potential conflict of interest?
http://schoolsimprovement.net/todays-po ... ad-teacher" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm amazed they have to ask - the GB is effectively the overseer of the HT and have ability to hire and fire as well as being responsible for level and changes to HT's pay. Definite no-no.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Bill Oddie's badger cull-busters on patrol looking for wounded animals after they have been shot
The presenter was joined by a team of volunteers as they spend the night looking for badgers shot and injured as part of the controversial cull

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bi ... ol-4450244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down passed the (poor) dead badger picture to find the "do you agree with the cull" poll
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Liquid diets: Iain Duncan Smith targets obese benefit claimants
At the end of the summer the work and pensions secretary met with two representatives of Cambridge Weight Plan (CWP), a private company whose celebrity-endorsed liquid diets promise rapid, permanent weight loss for those ready to commit themselves.
Duncan Smith listened to what they had to say. He nodded in all the right places, those present reported. He said he would go away and think about it all for a bit.
A fortnight or so later one of those who attended the meeting - his constituent Ruth Barber, a CWP consultant - received a promising letter.
"I have written to the health secretary to make him aware of the Cambridge Weight Plan," IDS wrote.
"I have also asked my department to investigate the possibility of introducing this as an option for those who are too obese to work."

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... it-claiman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have literally run out of swear words - can we make some new ones?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Labour Policies ‏@LabourPolicies · Sep 7
A Labour Government in 2015 will 100% guarantee that the NHS is completely exempted from any TTIP agreement

Note the date on this - not sure why its on my time line now, but I've been saying this for yonks :)
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Sat 18 Oct, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

dominic dyer @domdyer70 · 13h 13 hours ago
Rumours in Westminster growing Owen Paterson ready to jump ship to UKIP should Mark Reckless become second UKIP MP
Go on Patsy - jump, jump to where you belong.