Monday 20th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 20th October 2014

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 20th October 2014

Post by AngryAsWell »

Morning :)
You can't make these things up.....

Ed Miliband's £8 an hour minimum wage will make people worse off, says former Labour Cabinet minister
However, a report by Alan Milburn, a Cabinet minister in Tony Blair’s Government, found that the pledge makes people worse off.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... ister.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AngryAsWell wrote:Morning :)

Ed Miliband's £8 an hour minimum wage will make people worse off, says former Labour Cabinet minister
However, a report by Alan Milburn, a Cabinet minister in Tony Blair’s Government, found that the pledge makes people worse off.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... ister.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I swear the blairites would prefer to have the Tories get in so that they can try and replace Miliband.

Morning all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

StephenDolan wrote:

I swear the blairites would prefer to have the Tories get in so that they can try and replace Miliband.

Morning all.
It does seem that way. Milburn appears to have forgotten inflation. It is currently plummeting. Pledging to raise the minimum wage regardless, shows a commitment to move it closer to the average median wage, regardless of cost of living rises. Not to mention the most important bit of Ed Miliband's policy, which is to peg the minimum wage to the median wage. The actual amount it is raised to by 2020 is not as significant as the commitment to ensure wages at the bottom go up when wages at the top do. The symbolism of this is crucial - which is why the neoliberals are all ignoring it, they clearly don't want the idea to gain traction with the public so, as you say, they can quietly drop it when they drop Miliband.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning.
Big Society exclusive: Taxpayer-funded grants were paid ‘under intense pressure’ to Cameron-founded charity by Nesta
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 04893.html
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

I thought I'd post this link here, because it might cheer some of the more pro-party people (who I know I occasionally antagonise) up. And even if you don't enjoy jokes about Godzilla and Chewitts, it makes a political point a few others have been trying to make (not least to me) very nicely:
Without wanting to spoil it - and acknowledging that, if you haven't read the article, what I'm about to say sounds like nonsense being burbled by a crazy person - the problem is the analogy, really. It's a question of whether the amazing scientists are really all that amazing and will, in fact, try and make everything better, or if they've just come up with a slightly smaller, less destructive Godzilla. All the same - well worth a read on a bleary Monday morning.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rowson ... almost the sole remaining voice in the G that I want to listen to. Another utterly spot on 'toon'.

Oh and morning all.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

We've just forced ourselves to listen to Farming Today on R4.

As predicted the spokesperson for Gloscon (the badger culling company in Gloucestershire) declared they were very satisfied with how their killing had gone. Wouldn't disclose any numbers etc .... that will be announced by the minister in due course.

He also said that they won't be applying for an extension this year - in response to a direct question.

We sort of expected that too - as to do so would be an instant admission of another failure. And they can't have that if they want to be allowed to carry on culling for another 2 years (if the Tories are still in power from May 2015). The game they are playing is to be able to call it a success at all costs - reduce the targets to nonsensical levels - remove the independent monitoring - allow the culling contractors to get away with all sorts - and Liz Truss will be able to declare it was all tickety-boo this time and the Tories will, if elected, roll out widespread killing of badger across England. Just what the majority of those polled have told them they don't want - repeatedly. But can't upset the huntin, shootin, killin and more killin please vote.

Our experience on the ground was that they have been thwarted in their efforts to kill - time and time and time again. Yes, they have still killed too many - one badger would be too many - but they certainly haven't been able to go in and decimate the remaining badger population as they would have liked.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Freud and the politics of cruelty"

Stefan Stern

http://labourlist.org/2014/10/freud-and ... f-cruelty/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Morning all.
Off topic,but sort of a general warning for people who,like me,are not very technically minded;
Had a call this morning from somebody saying that my computers are all infected with some virus and that he was calling from windows support.
Sounded quite genuine,in a difficult to understand Indian ish accent as per usual from tech support.
So I started up my chromebook,but,he didn't really know what a chromebook was.So he asked me to start up the desk top,and when he began to ask me to type in a file name I asked for a number to call to verify that he was from microsoft.
Didn't call the number he gave me,but contacted microsoft.They NEVER call people in this way,it is a scam.
I'm sure most of you would have been too smart to even switch on,but when it comes to difficult to understand tech talk I sort of freeze up mentally.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Good morning from the land where, thanks to the efforts of the Welsh Labour Government the bubonic plague has made a comeback.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Rebecca wrote:Morning all.
Off topic,but sort of a general warning for people who,like me,are not very technically minded;
Had a call this morning from somebody saying that my computers are all infected with some virus and that he was calling from windows support.
Sounded quite genuine,in a difficult to understand Indian ish accent as per usual from tech support.
So I started up my chromebook,but,he didn't really know what a chromebook was.So he asked me to start up the desk top,and when he began to ask me to type in a file name I asked for a number to call to verify that he was from microsoft.
Didn't call the number he gave me,but contacted microsoft.They NEVER call people in this way,it is a scam.
I'm sure most of you would have been too smart to even switch on,but when it comes to difficult to understand tech talk I sort of freeze up mentally.
I'm glad it didn't end with disaster, warning others is never a bad thing!
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Willow904 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

Morning all.
It does seem that way. Milburn appears to have forgotten inflation. It is currently plummeting. Pledging to raise the minimum wage regardless, shows a commitment to move it closer to the average median wage, regardless of cost of living rises. Not to mention the most important bit of Ed Miliband's policy, which is to peg the minimum wage to the median wage. The actual amount it is raised to by 2020 is not as significant as the commitment to ensure wages at the bottom go up when wages at the top do. The symbolism of this is crucial - which is why the neoliberals are all ignoring it, they clearly don't want the idea to gain traction with the public so, as you say, they can quietly drop it when they drop Miliband.
Morning all - ahaa...he says in best 'Partridge' voice....that it explains it!

Very nearly crashed the car this morning (much to the dismay of Wolflet No1 in the passenger seat :oops: ) - as I was pootling along I decided to play the 'how long can I listen to the Toady programme on R4 before swearing and turning off/over' game...on realising it was a 'bash Ed/divert from OGRFG' piece (OK - I wasn't that surprised!) I thought I recognised the northern tones - Milburn, I thought...is it him? Been a while since he's said anything so can't be sure....anyhow, of course, it was the Minimum Wage at £8 an hour...shock, horror, it'll bankrupt the country - how can you defend it, Mr Labour-man, Milburn? Admittedly, I wasn't expecting much...but the tone of support and acceptance of 'of course, good schemes like 'Welfare to Work' are brilliant' (again, not verbatim)....Wolflet No 1 is vastly experienced in the Wolfie explosion department, but even she was visibly shocked at my outburst (and the fact that I very nearly crashed the car :oops: ).

Re the Blairites (or Ultra-NeoCon-Men, if you will) - they, like the rest (Tories/Yellow Tories/UKIP/BBC/Newcorpse/print media owners/fraudulent legislators (ennobled Bankers - see Lords Fraud/Saatchi)) are s******g themselves - nothing they do seems to work - Labour are STILL ahead in the polls :lol:
Last edited by Lonewolfie on Mon 20 Oct, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Morning all. Can only reiterate what Rebecca says - this is a scam. I've had a few calls like this & if I'm in the mood & have the time I generally string them along for a bit - ask them what the problem is, what IP address they have for me, what operating system etc. Eventually when I've had enough I usually tell them that I have an Apple Mac
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I like to string them along until the point they demand money, then put the phone down ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

These scams have been going a while. They either use them to gain control of your PC or to convince you to give credit card details for something or other. I had a similar call myself a while back. He insisted the problem was urgent and needed to be fixed right away. I politely suggested it was impossible my PC was being ravaged by a virus at that very moment because it wasn't actually switched on, which kind of stumped him, and told him if I did have any issues I would sort them out myself and hung up. Afterwards I wished I'd been rather ruder. Some people say they'll go and turn their PC on, then just put the phone down and wait and see how long they'll hold on, running up a phone bill, before they realise they've been rumbled! I'm glad you didn't fall for it.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:I thought I'd post this link here, because it might cheer some of the more pro-party people (who I know I occasionally antagonise) up. And even if you don't enjoy jokes about Godzilla and Chewitts, it makes a political point a few others have been trying to make (not least to me) very nicely:
Without wanting to spoil it - and acknowledging that, if you haven't read the article, what I'm about to say sounds like nonsense being burbled by a crazy person - the problem is the analogy, really. It's a question of whether the amazing scientists are really all that amazing and will, in fact, try and make everything better, or if they've just come up with a slightly smaller, less destructive Godzilla. All the same - well worth a read on a bleary Monday morning.
I think the ending is good, and illustrates how I feel perfectly.
Just imagine what the Tories would do emboldened by a second term of office, on the back of the destruction they’ve already wrought on the post-War settlement.
And then don’t come to me the day after the General Election, with your Green badge, or your National Health Party rosette, and say, “It’s not my fault. I didn’t vote for Godzilla.”
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

20th October 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Joint press release from Badger Trust and Care for the Wild

New Badger Cull Poll: Nine Out of Ten Say ‘Stop Culling and Do it the Welsh Way’

Results from a new poll on the controversial badger cull show that nine out of ten people who express an opinion (89%) want the UK government to stop culling badgers and follow the Welsh by combatting bovine TB (bTB) through cattle measures alone.

The poll, commissioned by Care for the Wild and the Badger Trust and carried out by ComRes, highlights that three out of four (74%) British adults overall say they are aware of the cull. The poll offers a fascinating insight into opinions on one of the government’s most controversial policies.

On being given information about the Welsh government’s success in cutting bTB by almost a half in four years through cattle measures alone, nine out of ten (89%) people said the UK government should follow their lead.

In addition, of those that expressed an opinion [1] :

• Eight out of ten (78%) believe culling is a cruel way to reduce bTB
• More than eight out of ten (84%) believe there are better ways to reduce bTB
• Seven out of ten (70%) believe the cull should be stopped immediately
• Less than two in five (37%) agree that badgers must be culled if we are to reduce bTB among cattle.

[1] Please note that base sizes for those who express an opinion range from 1,140 – 1,804.

Dominic Dyer, of the Badger Trust and Care for the Wild, said: “I think there’s no doubt that the British people want to see the back of this cull. Nine out of ten is a stunning endorsement of the Welsh government’s no-cull policy, and a strong rebuke to the British government.

“There is a clear majority against the cull, and there is a clear mandate for the path the government should take. We know that the bTB test misses one in five infected cows, meaning there are potentially thousands hidden in herds passing on the disease. We know that one in every four new cases of bTB is only found when the cow is slaughtered. And all this is backed up by the situation in Wales, where they are beating the disease by focussing on the cattle.

“The message from the public to the government is clear – stop the killing, and focus on something that actually has a chance of beating this disease.”

Ends

ComRes interviewed 2,048 British adults online between the 19th and 21st September 2014. Data were weighted to be representative of all British adults aged 18+. ComRes is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Deacon retweeted
Patrick Strudwick ‏@PatrickStrud 11m11 minutes ago
Oh please no. Mike Read, former Radio 1 DJ, has written a song for Ukip called Ukip Calypso which they are hoping to get in the charts.
James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 4m4 minutes ago
Mike Read's horrifying new single "Ukip [Apo] Calypso". "Oh yes, when we take charge / And the new PM is Farage"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UKIP Calypso.jpg
UKIP Calypso.jpg (40.62 KiB) Viewed 25861 times
That's too much for Monday morning. I feel sick.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Michael Deacon retweeted
Oh please no. Mike Read, former Radio 1 DJ, has written a song for Ukip called Ukip Calypso which they are hoping to get in the charts.
Mike Read's horrifying new single "Ukip [Apo] Calypso". "Oh yes, when we take charge / And the new PM is Farage"
UKIP Calypso.jpg
Another social media request for "Ding Dong the witch is dead" downloads methinks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Watching old editions of TOTP recently, I noted that Mike Read has much the same hairstyle in 1979 as he does now.

That's almost as long as Gerry Francis :lol:
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Michael Deacon retweeted
UKIP Calypso.jpg
Don't read this then...includes a picture likely to cause severe upset (well - it did me, anyway)...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horser ... eason.html

...it appears the poor hard-done-by dab didn't get to go racing 'cos 'er indoors got him into a spot of bother. I can't help feeling this sort of 'placement' of articles (that are, I believe(TM) designed to 'rehabilitate' Murkydochia and get us all to say...'well what they did wasn't that bad, and they're Ruperts' boys and girls, so it's all unfair and they're picking on them') isn't really going to work that well.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

He said Miliband was either being cynical or did not actually know how cancer diagnoses were made, adding: "In other words, he's just being an idiot."
http://huff.to/1rSojdr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No axe to grind. Nope.

By 2006, Pollard held the view[5] that, in the "battle to save western civilisation", the "Left, in any recognisable form, is now the enemy".
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Isn't calypso dangerously close to being from a bongo bongo country?

(Absolutely no offence meant on my part - I think the UKIP single might have fulfilled that all by itself ...)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tory Treasury retweeted
Carrie Symonds ‏@carrieapples 11m11 minutes ago
We’re making sure it always pays more to be in work than on benefits: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ships.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
It always make me gnash my teeth that such sales talk and claims by political parties aren't subject to the same Advertising Standards Authority scrutiny and regulation.

This one would be blasted for inaccuracy quicker than Grant Shapps can flick on a reptilian smirk.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

StephenDolan wrote:He said Miliband was either being cynical or did not actually know how cancer diagnoses were made, adding: "In other words, he's just being an idiot."
http://huff.to/1rSojdr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No axe to grind. Nope.

By 2006, Pollard held the view[5] that, in the "battle to save western civilisation", the "Left, in any recognisable form, is now the enemy".
Of course cancer diagnosis,and ruling cancer out,can be made faster than happens atm.
If you have any diagnostic tests performed privately,e.g x ray,mamograms,scans,the consultant will discuss the results with you straight away.No waiting weeks for that.
When my boy was 8 he was hospitalised with swollen testicles,which can require emergency surgery.Fortunately he didn't need it,but had a hydrocele.Waiting time for a scan to rule out cancer,as this condition is rare in young people,6 months!
I was working in a urology ward in York hospital,so discussed this with the reg.Told me to bring my boy in the next day,had a scan,told everything was ok there and then.Red carpet treatment in fact.All it cost me was a bottle of Scotch as a thankyou.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

From AS,
Grant Shapps has called Barroso an 'unelected bureaucrat'.
Lovely put down from Barroso,after listing his credentials as an elected eu president,he then said
'I was twelve years in government of my country,as prime minister,as foreign minister.I don't know who the gentleman is,but certainly he doesn't have more democratic legitimacy than I have.'
Why do our govt ministers talk such crap?When will they act like statesmen?(or women of course).
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Michael Deacon retweeted
UKIP Calypso.jpg
I thought Lance Percival had the monopoly on cod patois Calypso records
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Michael Deacon retweeted
UKIP Calypso.jpg
I have dim and misty recollections from childhood of something called "Gossip Calypso" a "comedy" song by Lance Percival (?). Is it anything like that? The, um, artist also did something called "I'm Backin' Britain" which, I believe contained the immortal, and hilarious, line "I've been abroad but I'm back in Britain". Scarred for life, I am. I must be - or why else would I remember all this crap?

Anyway - are we now to assume that Mike Read is "Backing Nigel"? I know it's feasible, but I thought he was a Boris Boy.

Edited to remove an "e" since Lance Percival (sp?) is\was male.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not quite - "I'm backing Britain" was by none other than Bruce Forsyth.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

danesclose wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Michael Deacon retweeted
UKIP Calypso.jpg
Hello! A fellow sufferer, I notice. Sorry didn't see your post before launching mine.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Not quite - "I'm backing Britain" was by none other than Bruce Forsyth.
Ah - thanks. Somehow, not having perfect recall on that has cheered me up enormously!
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

PorFavor wrote:
danesclose wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UKIP Calypso.jpg
Hello! A fellow sufferer, I notice. Sorry didn't see your post before launching mine.
Don't apologise PF, glad to know someone else has their finger on the musical pulse
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Michael Deacon retweeted
UKIP Calypso.jpg
I have dim and misty recollections from childhood of something called "Gossip Calypso" a "comedy" song by Lance Percival (?). Is it anything like that? The, um, artist also did something called "I'm Backin' Britain" which, I believe contained the immortal, and hilarious, line "I've been abroad but I'm back in Britain". Scarred for life, I am. I must be - or why else would I remember all this crap?

Anyway - are we now to assume that Mike Read is "Backing Nigel"? I know it's feasible, but I thought he was a Boris Boy.

Edited to remove an "e" since Lance Percival (sp?) is\was male.
Mike Read has been an official Kipper since 2012, I believe he spoke at their conference that year.

On balance I think I'll give that song a miss, his previous output was always saccharine and eminently forgettable. There is a positive to it though, as the contradictions of a calypso(ish) song being written for their racist party could well make some Kippers heads explode. :dance:

@OneButtonMichael, thanks for the link. As with AAW that final paragraph sums up my feelings perfectly. I'll draw a veil over your final paragraph if I may.

@StephenDolan, surely you aren't suggesting Pollard is upset at last week's vote? :D
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@TheGrimSqueaker

Thanks for the Mike Read political allegiance update. Somehow, I'd missed that he'd changed crews.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

Rebecca wrote:From AS,
Lovely put down from Barroso,after listing his credentials as an elected eu president,he then said
'I was twelve years in government of my country,as prime minister,as foreign minister.I don't know who the gentleman is,but certainly he doesn't have more democratic legitimacy than I have.'
Why do our govt ministers talk such crap?When will they act like statesmen?(or women of course).
When did Barosso become insignificant? I was under the impression that he spoke gospel when referring to Scotland having to reapply to the EU if it voted for independence? Now he has a differing point of view he's an irrelevant Eurocrat. Hmm... bet you're glad you intervened now, eh Jose?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:@TheGrimSqueaker

Thanks for the Mike Read political allegiance update. Somehow, I'd missed that he'd changed crews.
How? After all Mike Read is still so much in the public eye ....... :rofl:

Wasn't he partly the inspiration for the "Smashy & Nicey" characters played by Paul Whitehouse and Harry Enfield? I always got the feeling that Smashy (Whiehouse) was channelling 'Ready'.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JackPranker wrote:
Rebecca wrote:From AS,
When did Barosso become insignificant? I was under the impression that he spoke gospel when referring to Scotland having to reapply to the EU if it voted for independence? Now he has a differing point of view he's an irrelevant Eurocrat. Hmm... bet you're glad you intervened now, eh Jose?
Yes. Grant Shapps was being very "Ukip", wasn't he? I'm only surprised that there were no insults about Barosso's physical appearance. Number of characters limit on "Twitter", perhaps?

Edited

"d" for "s"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

You all know there's been another, yawn, co-ordinated attack on the Welsh NHS, the usual suspects involved, here Mark Drakeford, Minster for Health puts forwards a few ''facts'' not that this government or their boot boys are interested in such.

https://twitter.com/WG_HealthMin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

The Telegraph is appalled to discover that the "British Values" rules brought in as a result of the Trojan Horse scandal are now being used against Christian schools that fail to promote inclusivity, and not just those nasty Muslims, as they presumably imagined they would be. It really would take a heart of stone not to laugh.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... embly.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinking about it though, have the Tories, with this rushed, back of an envelope reaction to tabloid hysteria, unwittingly set up a system which could lead to the eventual destruction of so many of the faith schools that they themselves have championed for so long?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Christ, I just endured 30 seconds of the Kipper Calypso, any more and more my ears would have bled, it needs a thorough fact check mind, no surprise that.

''When Farage is at No 10 we can start trading with the world again''

And repeat, on second thoughts, don't.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

WHY MY CAT IS SAD
‏@MYSADCAT
My cat is sad because he has just heard Mike Read's UKIP calypso song and finally lost all hope for humanity.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Balls puts the case forward for the mansion tax, again, awaits the first ''helpful'' contribution from a London Labour MP.

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comme ... 05924.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Christ, I just endured 30 seconds of the Kipper Calypso, any more and more my ears would have bled, it needs a thorough fact check mind, no surprise that.

I'd like to give you a million thanks for enduring those 30 seconds and issuing a prompt warning so none of us suffers damage from listening. That line you quoted is ..... priceless .... and a real indicator of the kind of quality act UKIP is / are. :lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just checking you're ok . . .
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Tish wrote:The Telegraph is appalled to discover that the "British Values" rules brought in as a result of the Trojan Horse scandal are now being used against Christian schools that fail to promote inclusivity, and not just those nasty Muslims, as they presumably imagined they would be. It really would take a heart of stone not to laugh.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... embly.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinking about it though, have the Tories, with this rushed, back of an envelope reaction to tabloid hysteria, unwittingly set up a system which could lead to the eventual destruction of so many of the faith schools that they themselves have championed for so long?
Ever-decreasing circles :toss:

...and 'British Values' again - this should form part of the curriculum - to inform students about real 'British Values'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_%2745
Last edited by Lonewolfie on Mon 20 Oct, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:

I'd like to give you a million thanks for enduring those 30 seconds and issuing a prompt warning so none of us suffers damage from listening. That line you quoted is ..... priceless .... and a real indicator of the kind of quality act UKIP is / are. :lol:
It's actually worse if I am honest, absolutely priceless, on about immigration and singing in a ridiculous Jamaican accent.. Do these idiots have any sense of irony? :?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PorFavor wrote:

I am coming around now, and thanks for asking, you're very kind.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

I am coming around now, and thanks for asking, you're very kind.
Letsskip - please...I thought we had to issue warnings about pics that cause upset - WTF is that avatar?

...and I can't bring myself to link to the calypso - but really? A Jamaican accent? Not a Jamaican singer, Mike Read being 'funny' and 'with it'? Really?...oh dear oh dear :roll:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Get Mike Read’s Ukip calypso song to number one, urges Nigel Farage
‘Leaders committed a cardinal sin, opened the borders let them all come in,’ sings former Radio 1 DJ in faux-Caribbean accent

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -mike-read
It's gone beyond farcical now .... you might almost think it could be uber-irony - UKIP taking the piss out of UKIP - but no. I know this crap is actually for real.

Banksy and his 'exotic' bird mural in Clacton was pretty spot on.