Monday 12th October 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 12th October 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
adam
First Secretary of State

Re: Monday 12th October 2020

Post by adam »

Can't read the article - paywalled - but don't really need to... Nick Timothy in the Telegraph
The repeat failures of the state are why we’re locking down again
From contact tracing to PPE, the machinery of government has proved inept and unaccountable
Government, Nick. The repeated failures of the government. The repeated failures of the conservative party. The repeated failures of Boris Johnson. The repeated failures of contracting services out of private companies. These people have once again proved inept and unaccountable.
I still believe in a town called Hope
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

The latest government ad doesn't seem to be going down too well.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Terrifying, isn't it. (GetYou's post)

But, never let a crisis go to waste. Thread.

Here's the Good Law Project if anyone's got a spare tenner.
https://goodlawproject.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Actually that ad's pretty terrifying too, what a bunch of heathens they are.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

They can't organise a pandemic response to protect the people but they can get the asset-stripping into gear pdq.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote: but they can get the asset-stripping into gear pdq.
Its almost as if that's the only thing they are actually good at?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

I think it would be a good idea to send students home before it's too late to do it in a controlled and phased fashion. And phased, where the numbers indicate that it's appropriate, by area of students' origin.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

But.....but think of the poor corporate landlords!!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

They should never have gone, see this letter re UoM.

I have a bit of sympathy for the unis, govt's hung them out to dry imo. They have the approved business model and govt intervention would have been needed to allow them to do the right thing. I don't think we heard many of them screaming for it in the summer though.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:But.....but think of the poor corporate landlords!!
Quite.

They're thinking of them more than they are the arts sector - something in which we are actually "world-leading."
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Worth noting that this bunch don't value education in itself as it's been said that the objective of education is to get a job. University degrees likewise.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

They don't seem to value much except grift and graft, tbf.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oops.

Downing Street joins criticism of ‘crass’ job ad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54505841" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A No 10 spokesperson said it was "not appropriate" and had been taken down.

The ad, part of a campaign promoting jobs in cyber-security, sparked a social media backlash,

It had already been disowned by Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden, who said it did not come from his department and described it as "crass".
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Sam Freedman
@Samfr
Boris's next job could be "backbench MP". He just doesn't know it yet.
10:56 AM · Oct 12, 2020·Twitter for Android
:lol:
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok so for everywhere besides Liverpool nothing much has changed. Despite having infections increasing at an exponential rate again and now knowing that even a short delay can be catastrophic they've taken the easy option and gone for what i guess they would see as the middle ground.

The problem with that is on the one hand you have a party full of nutcases who think individuals always make better decisions than the state for themselves and their families and on the other you have sanity, so the middle ground is somewhat skewed. If anything Covid 19 is quite clearly demonstrating that many people are evidently incapable of making 'common sense' decisions or there'd be no need for these restrictions and lockdowns. That central Tory tenet is quite literaly dying a death.

The only ray of hope is the increased involvement of local authorities because it's increasingly obvious nobody is listening to Johnson's pitiful excuse for a government anymore. Perhaps a more local approach will encourage better behaviour as people feel part of something again rather than having some preposterous flabby fool spouting incoherent nonsense at them. And with local contact tracers actually contacting people and checking on them we can only hope the compliance rate increases.

The problem being even local health officials are saying it's too late for this current rise in infections which they can only try to manage while preparing for worse to come in the Winter.

The Tories have had 7 months to put in place a functioning system that can minimise infections while keeping the economy ticking over and they've singularly failed. We have more Covid related hospital admissions than we did in March and still the only genuine options are to either let the virus spread through the country or lock it down. Other than in those areas in full lockdown this three tier system will achieve the square root of fuck all. It's neither fish nor fowl and useless as tits on a bull.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So even in tier 3 Wetherspoons are still open.

Yeah this is definitely going to work.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:So even in tier 3 Wetherspoons are still open.

Yeah this is definitely going to work.
One does wonder how that could possibly have happened, eh.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well, this is sad news - used to really enjoy reading his columns esp. from 2010 onwards.
Chris Giles
@ChrisGiles_
Such a sad day at the FT. An institution for all who worked with him

Samuel Brittan, economics editor, 1933-2020
:(
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

A very interesting man and writer, even if much of his worldview was not mine.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Watching CH4 news two things struck me.

Johnson is rapidly losing his hair. His suit jacket was covered in it. Unless it was dog hair from that poor mutt they adopted.

And I know it's not cool to blame students, but FFS the footage from Liverpool was horrific. These idiots are supposed to be our next generation's best and brightest and they're cramming themselves into bars, milling about in huge groups in narrow streets completely ignoring even the most basic advice. If it were any other group of people they'd be lambasted but because they're students we're supposed to feel sorry for them and make excuses. Well no, just because you think going out and getting shitfaced is 'part of the student experience' it doesn't give you the right to act like dickheads and spread a virus that is rapidly filling Liverpool's hospitals and killing people you selfish little twats. I'm by no means blaming all students, the student population across the cities in the North will be in the hundreds of thousands so it's obviously a minority who are behaving like this, but maybe someone ought to get it into the thick skulls of that witless minority that they're a major, and in some cities predominant, vector of a virus that's already killed 60,000+ people in this country and if they don't stop behaving like entitled little wankers that number is going to grow ever higher.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
The only ray of hope is the increased involvement of local authorities because it's increasingly obvious nobody is listening to Johnson's pitiful excuse for a government anymore. Perhaps a more local approach will encourage better behaviour as people feel part of something again rather than having some preposterous flabby fool spouting incoherent nonsense at them. And with local contact tracers actually contacting people and checking on them we can only hope the compliance rate increases.
That's the hope for us.
More than likely the govt hope is to lay off some of the blame onto councils. They've already got 60% of the public blaming the public, shift the other 40% to LAs, job done.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Anyone up for a bit of virtue signalling?
Laurence Fox Flag of Hong Kong
@LozzaFox
·
7m
11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month and the chosen Sunday.

We don’t get to choose, postpone, rearrange or defer. It’s our duty and privilege to honour them.

#RememberanceSunday
Quite apart from the fact that it's a few weeks away there's a small problem that someone pointed out...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:
Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
That's the hope for us.
More than likely the govt hope is to lay off some of the blame onto councils. They've already got 60% of the public blaming the public, shift the other 40% to LAs, job done.
Many people blame more than one thing for the state we are in now - polls that demand they pick one culprit and one only don't help there. Whilst these polls claim the government has largely "escaped" blame, their approval rating has also plummeted - which you might not expect were the former genuinely true.