Wednesday 21st October 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 21st October 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all
adam
First Secretary of State

Re: Wednesday 21sy October 2020

Post by adam »

Donald Trump paid nearly $200,000 in taxes to China, report claims
Tax records reviewed by the New York Times showed a previously unreported bank account in China controlled by Trump International Hotels Management. The account paid $188,561 in taxes in China between 2013 and 2015 in connection to potential licensing deals, according the newspaper.

Earlier reporting by the Times showed he paid just $750 in US taxes in 2016 and 2017.
I reckon that means he's paying about 250x as much tax to the Chinese government as he is to the US government.
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. Good this from Oliver Kamm.

Why are so many Brexiters also lockdown sceptics?

https://www.thearticle.com/why-are-so-m ... n-sceptics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While a small majority of voters favoured Brexit in the referendum, for which young people in particular will pay a heavy price, there is ample evidence that health measures to contain the coronavirus have public support. Indeed, a YouGov poll this week indicated that 40 per cent of British people believe that current Covid-19 measures do not go far enough, while 19 per cent held that they were about right (and 15 per cent said they go too far).

Support for such draconian measures, even when implemented by an incompetent and hypocritical government, is evidence of a widespread belief that individual liberty involves civic obligations. In short, a civilised society has trade-offs. British public policy has been abysmally served by right-wing ideologues who fail to recognise this truth.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Even more money per head for South Yorkshire than even Lancashire got.

So according to Boris Johnson's formula it would be completely unreasonable and unfair to offer Greater Manchester more than £85m.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

So Andy Burnham was seeking between £75m and £90m. Lancashire and South Yorkshire have got deals equalling on a per capita basis of around £80m and £85m respectively. The government refused to budge from £60m up to a mere £65m, a sum well below what others got but Burnham was willing to settle for.

Sky news are saying the money offered to Greater Manchester is "broadly similar" to other areas?! Am I going mad? How is £8 a head "broadly similar" to £28 per head?

I know we're all getting used to ridiculous numbers as nationally Boris spaffs billions on failed private contractors but £5m is still a huge sum of money in local terms, let alone £20m.

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

No real surprise to see "Baroness" Fox voting with the Government in the HoL alongside other deserving Peers such as Austin, Stuart, and Hoey.

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Lords ... t-contents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:roll:
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:No real surprise to see "Baroness" Fox voting with the Government in the HoL alongside other deserving Peers such as Austin, Stuart, and Hoey.

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Lords ... t-contents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:roll:
From the parliamentary website
fox.PNG
fox.PNG (10.87 KiB) Viewed 7480 times
I still believe in a town called Hope
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote: Sky news are saying the money offered to Greater Manchester is "broadly similar" to other areas?! Am I going mad? How is £8 a head "broadly similar" to £28 per head?
£8pp is for beefing up local track & trace, goes with moving to tier 3.

As many have said, if you had that in tier 2 you might not need to go to 3.

Additional sums for business support have to be negotiated. Bonkers.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Steve Baker telling Marcus Rashford that £23m for school meals would be 'destroying the currency with excessive QE'.

(£23m is the figure I've seen)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Incidentally, it's good that the govt are admitting that QE is what they're doing, not pretending it's all borrowing.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Sky news are saying the money offered to Greater Manchester is "broadly similar" to other areas?! Am I going mad? How is £8 a head "broadly similar" to £28 per head?
£8pp is for beefing up local track & trace, goes with moving to tier 3.

As many have said, if you had that in tier 2 you might not need to go to 3.

Additional sums for business support have to be negotiated. Bonkers.
Yes. I've been thrown, though, because that t&t money is included in the figure settled on as part of the "deal" when talking about Lancashire and South Yorkshire, so I'd been assuming £60m was the figure being rejected for Manchester's "deal". If the £60m is just business support, then fair enough, it's similarish to elsewhere (note I have been asking if I was missing something :D ) but then the question is "where's the deal?" . If there's a set amount of money and it's impossible to "negotiate" more then there is no "deal", just imposition. And to use fake negotiations to justify not giving the already calculated default money at all is as disgusting and disgraceful as anything this government have ever done.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:Incidentally, it's good that the govt are admitting that QE is what they're doing, not pretending it's all borrowing.
Still haven't got over Sunak saying we had a "sacred duty" to balance the books the other week.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Dave Hill
@DaveHill
TfL chief Andy Byford confirms he still hasn't been allowed to see the government-commissioned KPMG review of TfL finances, despite repeated requests. #TfL
10:34 AM · Oct 21, 2020·Twitter Web App
Conservatives: We're all for local democracy

Also Conservatives: We commissioned a report into something we don't run but you're not allowed to see it
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post #222222 on TDP this morning.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I'd be interested to know how many teachers are teaching this as fact rather than as theory.
Equalities Minister Kemi Badenoch says any school that teaches children that inherent white privilege is a fact, rather than a theory, is ‘breaking the law’

During a House of Commons debate about Black History Month on Tuesday, she said the Black Lives Matter movement was a “dangerous trend” of teaching “white pupils about white privilege and inherited racial guilt,” going on to say: “What we are against is the teaching of contested political ideas as if they are accepted facts.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

We're heavily into David Brent territory here...
Stephen Greenhalgh #HandsFaceSpace
@team_greenhalgh
The difference between
@ShaunBaileyUK
+
@SadiqKhan
is that Shaun has vision + ambition for London. He knows how to increase the size of London cake whereas the current Mayor only knows how to divide the capital’s cake. That is not the leadership we need at this critical time.
Sadiq Khan is currently 22 pts ahead...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:then the question is "where's the deal?" . If there's a set amount of money and it's impossible to "negotiate" more then there is no "deal", just imposition. And to use fake negotiations to justify not giving the already calculated default money at all is as disgusting and disgraceful as anything this government have ever done.
Couldn't agree more.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PMQs:
Ian Dunt
@IanDunt
·
5m
Level 17:
Johnson's second attack on Starmer for wanting a "full national lockdown". Really dangerous area for Johnson - defining himself against a position with more popular support than his own.
Show replies
Ian Dunt
@IanDunt
·
2m
Level 18:
Starmer ignores it. Infections are up in all regions. "Regions in equivalent of Tier 2 moving into Tier 3. If they are moving into Tier 3, Tier 2 hasn't worked. So Tier 2 goes into Tier 3. Tier 3 has no end, because there's no prospect or confidence in the R rate coming below 1."
Show replies
Ian Dunt
@IanDunt
·
1m
Level 19:
I know that looks like mad nonsense written down, but read it closely. It is hard to argue with. The Tier system is a conveyor belt to Tier 3 and there is no scientific basis to think that Tier 3 can ever end

And then came the knock out blow. According to Starmer only Cornwall, and possibly the Isle of Wight, currently have an infection rate lower than Manchester did when they went into local restrictions.

Forget about winning PMQs. The state we are in as a country has just been clearly set out and it's a deeply worrying picture.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Lewis Goodall on the same subject.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

According to Starmer only Cornwall, and possibly the Isle of Wight, currently have an infection rate lower than Manchester did when they went into local restrictions.
Yesterday one of our experts pointed out that, far from having the most to lose, Cornwall has the most to gain from a national lockdown which would keep their rate down.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Also from PMQs (G live blog):
Johnson quotes figures for what has already been given to Manchester. He says Andy Burnham turned down £60m. That money will now be given to the Greater Manchester boroughs, he says.
Ha! Burnham has basically won. Manchester has got the exact money they are always going to get but he wasn't demeaned by accepting less than he knew was adequate and Labour council leaders will now share responsibility for its inadequacy with Tory council leaders.

This can't possibly be considered a "win" for Boris and a "lose" for Burnham, can it? Burnham lost nothing by trying and he's highlighted that the money all regions are being given isn't enough.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Michael M.
@vivamjm
Listening to PM QT...the questions all asked seem so trivial considering where UK is at this moment heading for self imposed on top of covid possible depression ...

like they are all in a parallel world
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
According to Starmer only Cornwall, and possibly the Isle of Wight, currently have an infection rate lower than Manchester did when they went into local restrictions.
Yesterday one of our experts pointed out that, far from having the most to lose, Cornwall has the most to gain from a national lockdown which would keep their rate down.
As someone who lives in the so far relatively unaffected South West I wholeheartedly agree. Starmer's presentation of the facts today was a wake-up. The government's current strategy clearly isn't going to stop us from eventually following everyone else into greater measures. I'd rather take action now, before people start dying, than after.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:Michael M.
@vivamjm
Listening to PM QT...the questions all asked seem so trivial considering where UK is at this moment heading for self imposed on top of covid possible depression ...

Well, the latest on the Brexit front (from both sides) is inching back to "there is probably going to be some sort of deal after all".

Even in normal circumstances, this country could ill afford no deal. And these are not normal circumstances.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I'd be interested to know how many teachers are teaching this as fact rather than as theory.
Equalities Minister Kemi Badenoch says any school that teaches children that inherent white privilege is a fact, rather than a theory, is ‘breaking the law’

During a House of Commons debate about Black History Month on Tuesday, she said the Black Lives Matter movement was a “dangerous trend” of teaching “white pupils about white privilege and inherited racial guilt,” going on to say: “What we are against is the teaching of contested political ideas as if they are accepted facts.
I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to find out there's a political component to racism.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

There's a surprise...
Dave Hill
@DaveHill
·
48m
TfL board member now notes that #andrewgilligan was absent from previous #TfL board meeting too
@grantshapps

@BorisJohnson
. Feel sorry for Claire Moriarty, having to field questions about government's political approach to the #TfL settlement discussions in his absence.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sadiq Khan has just flat out accused Johnson of lying at PMQs.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

About the funding to get Hammersmith Bridge fixed?

I said the other week that DoT would hang on to the money which would miraculously get released once Shaun Bailey was elected.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh. about TfL...
Dave Hill
@DaveHill
People call each other liars too readily these days, but having just watched #BorisJohnson at #PMQs claiming that #tfL financial problems are "entirely" the fault of the current Mayor I am afraid the PM has confirmed beyond all doubt that he is indeed a liar.
2:04 PM · Oct 21, 2020·Twitter Web App
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:Michael M.
@vivamjm

Well, the latest on the Brexit front (from both sides) is inching back to "there is probably going to be some sort of deal after all".

Even in normal circumstances, this country could ill afford no deal. And these are not normal circumstances.
Michael M. is a former customs agent/freight forwarder who knows that, deal or no deal, the border disruption is going to be catastrophic.

Unless 'some sort of deal' is a complete about face to SM/CU, we are stuffed come January.

Actually the most astonishing thing about this at present is that there's every indication that Johnson still hasn't made his mind up which way to jump.
He really is beyond appalling.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

And so the games continue....
David Greenhalgh, the leader of Bolton council, said he was “willing to look at” a Bolton-only package, breaking away from the rest of the cross-region negotiating block and distancing himself from Andy Burnham.

He said he had spoken to Robert Jenrick, the communities secretary, this morning, after hearing that the £60m offered by government to Greater Manchester on Tuesday was still up for grabs for individual councils.
Is there really any point to this now we know there's a formula and no one's "negotiated" anything, they've just accepted what they're given?

:smack:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Ooh.

Boris Johnson and Evgeny Lebedev: a decade of politics, parties and peerages
a No 10 spokesman said: “Evgeny Lebedev is a British citizen who has made an outstanding contribution to the UK.
Of course he has. :roll:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Tulip Siddiq's face is a picture here.
“Children have been going hungry under a Labour government for years” says Conservative Paul Scully

Ahead of a Commons debate on free meals in school holidays, Labour’s Tulip Siddiq asked him: “Do you want to feed hungry children or not?”
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:Ooh.

Boris Johnson and Evgeny Lebedev: a decade of politics, parties and peerages
a No 10 spokesman said: “Evgeny Lebedev is a British citizen who has made an outstanding contribution to the UK.
Of course he has. :roll:
Well he effectively destroyed the Independent *newspaper* (as opposed to whatever pale online simulacrum now exists) by ordering them to back the Tories in 2015.

Does that count?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

*Spolier Alert*

Btw for those unfamiliar with Game of Thrones, which our current situation is being compared to on social media, the plot goes something like this:

The Lannisters (aka the Brexiters) plot to take out the sitting king, Robert Bartheon (Theresa May) and install Joffrey (Boris) on the throne, upsetting the northern leaders in the process. Rob Stark (aka Andy Burnham) is declared 'King in the North' and the northerners declare war on the Southern King. After initial success, Rob Stark is stabbed in the back by the traitorous Roose Bolton - I swear I'm not making this up - and Joffrey is temporarily triumphant before being murdered by his prospective mother-in-law.

Oh and the daughter of Robert Baratheon's predecessor returns from exile to claim the throne and burns the city to the ground with a dragon. When we get to that bit it should get quite exciting.... ;)

Edited to add the spoiler alert for those yet to watch GoT who might still want to.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I was watching the Covid funding debate earlier and could fully understand Angela Raynor's fury. Along with many of the other Tory MP's who spoke Chris Clarkson went on a ridiculous tirade accusing Andy Burnham of orchestrating the entire Manchester funding debacle while accusing him of faking his concern to further his political career, before going on to completely misrepresent what Kate Green had said about using Covid to highlight the under resourcing of schools. It was an abusive rant that offered nothing to the debate, and while it would have been best to rise above it I can see why she lost her rag.

Surely it's the duty of the speaker to insist Mp's stick to the matter of the debate but Eleanor Laing, the deputy Speaker, did nothing while Tory after Tory goaded the Labour front bench and trashed the reputation of someone who wasn't there to defend himself.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sorry I'm late.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good evening, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:So Andy Burnham was seeking between £75m and £90m. Lancashire and South Yorkshire have got deals equalling on a per capita basis of around £80m and £85m respectively. The government refused to budge from £60m up to a mere £65m, a sum well below what others got but Burnham was willing to settle for.

Sky news are saying the money offered to Greater Manchester is "broadly similar" to other areas?! Am I going mad? How is £8 a head "broadly similar" to £28 per head?

I know we're all getting used to ridiculous numbers as nationally Boris spaffs billions on failed private contractors but £5m is still a huge sum of money in local terms, let alone £20m.

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:
Peoples' lives at stake and this is what government does
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:bastards
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Rayner lost her aunt to CV19 last week.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Did not know that until today's spat.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Eric Feigl-Ding
@DrEricDing
36m
2) “The change by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is likely to have its biggest impact in schools, workplaces and other group settings where people are in contact with others for long periods of time.”
documented infections occurring when asymptomatic people are spending only minutes with others indoors without face masks
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Eric Feigl-Ding
@DrEricDing
29m
HORRIFYING—White House is considering slashing millions of dollars for #COVID19 relief, HIV treatment, screenings for newborns in Democratic-led cities that Trump has deemed “anarchist jurisdictions”. New York, Portland, Washington DC & Seattle targeted.
I can't handle more than one country descending into chaos at a time
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Eric Feigl-Ding
@DrEricDing
1m
4) “Even as the state’s weekly caseload has quadrupled in the past six weeks, bar owners and Republicans have thwarted some restrictions on public indoor gatherings, leaving public health professionals scrambling to contain the virus.”
12:10 am · 22 Oct 2020
the symmetry is alarming
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Steve Bell's latest raised a smile at least: Arse

What a thoroughly depressing day of domestic politics. Tory bastards showing their true faces all day.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Some people are at more risk of not making a full recovery or dying of CV19

https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/371/bmj.m3731.full.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA