Friday 23rd October 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 23rd October 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
adam
First Secretary of State

Re: Friday 23rd October 2020

Post by adam »

Last day at work until next September...
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Minister in "claiming something which hasn't actually happened" non-shocker.

No evidence for minister’s claim parents ‘prefer to pay’ for school dinners

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/no-evidence-n ... isleading/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nadhim Zahawi told BBC Radio Four that “research” from a holiday food and activities club pilot scheme had shown “that families didn’t just want the meals, although they valued the meals, they didn’t like the labelling of them being free, they actually prefer to pay a modest amount, £1 or £2”.

However, when asked to provide the research referred to by the former children’s minister, who also repeated the claim on Times Radio, the Department for Education said it was not aware of any that backed up his comments. They said Zahawi may have been speaking anecdotally.
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Minister in "claiming something which hasn't actually happened" non-shocker.

No evidence for minister’s claim parents ‘prefer to pay’ for school dinners

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/no-evidence-n ... isleading/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nadhim Zahawi told BBC Radio Four that “research” from a holiday food and activities club pilot scheme had shown “that families didn’t just want the meals, although they valued the meals, they didn’t like the labelling of them being free, they actually prefer to pay a modest amount, £1 or £2”.

However, when asked to provide the research referred to by the former children’s minister, who also repeated the claim on Times Radio, the Department for Education said it was not aware of any that backed up his comments. They said Zahawi may have been speaking anecdotally.
:D
Wouldn't "£2" be virtually the normal cost of a school meal, though, the meal people on less than something like £16,000 a year can't afford and so qualify for free school meals? I'm sure it's about £2.40 for primary & £2.70 secondary. I'm really not sure what he's trying to say here. Of course people would prefer to be better off, I mean, who wouldn't?! :roll:
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Looks like this morning's debate wasn't the "game changer" that Trump needed.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Odd that a Government described as 'populist' and 'in touch with real people' seem to be losing the argument to *checks notes* a Premiership footballer who is paid more in a week than 95%of the population get in a year.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:Last day at work until next September...
:rock:
:heart:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Looks like this morning's debate wasn't the "game changer" that Trump needed.
I've been following peripherally. The few people I follow who aren't necessarily so keen on Biden as the Democratic candidate thought he did well yesterday. Or is it today in the US?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

One noticeable thing about US polling now is that there is strikingly low "third party" support compared to 2016. Biden might not hugely inspire many people, but he has cornered the huge bulk of the anti-Trump vote. A possible pointer to the next GE here after over a decade of the Tories in power?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And Maureen from Barnsley can fuck right off with her WWII stuff - according to the bombing register. Barnsley had three bombing raids in 1940 - and one of them was unconfirmed. Nobody killed, nobody injured.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

At least she was alive when it happened. Unlike loads of the boomers - who have come to imagine they lived through WW2 because they have watched all the films :roll:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Some of the 'justifications' for no free school meals are astonishing.

Woman on the press preview last night said people shouldn't just be called evil if they're against it, we should be able to have a debate.

It's half term next week.

Leaving aside the fact that it's x months since Rashford first raised the issue and any discussion has been limited to 2 mins in No10 - 'we're not doing that again'.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Last edited by GetYou on Fri 23 Oct, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Nicky Morgan probably wins the prize though.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Haha snap gilsey!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The Tory Right demonstrating what we know them to be...
Tom Harwood
@tomhfh
Fantastic demonstration today by
@MarcusRashford
of how we can help fix the problems in society by coming together as a society - helping each other as individuals.

Not by forcing the chilling hand of the state into people’s lives.
11:05 AM · Oct 23, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
:toss:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I suppose even that utter thick posho clown Harwood is a step above the official "line" yesterday - which seemed to be "kids going hungry is good because SELF RELIANCE".
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

When George Osborne cut the link between benefits and the cost of living in 2015 it was inevitable that people on benefits would end up without enough money to live on. I was shocked at the time by how muted a response this significant and brutal policy decision received in the media. Every single journalist who failed to raise over and over the obvious implications of such a decision are as responsible as the Tories for the current child poverty and child hunger we are seeing imo.

An adequate and functioning social security system would have greatly lessened the financial hardship caused by this pandemic - automatically. Much of the extra emergency funding Sunak and Boris boast of spending above other EU countries is no doubt merely plugging an existing hole their party created. It's an excruciating embarrassment for our nation that during a pandemic that is throwing up unprecedented issues and problems we are reduced to arguing over whether the state has a duty to ensure children don't go hungry. It shouldn't even be a thing that basic social security isn't enough to feed people but the Tories have made it so with that decision taken back in 2015.

"Scum" indeed.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Coronavirus: People told to self-isolate stopped from claiming £500 grant by flaw in contact tracing app

A button to allow those to claim the cash was never added to the app, sources have told Sky News. (Sky)
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... p-12111795
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
Coronavirus: People told to self-isolate stopped from claiming £500 grant by flaw in contact tracing app

A button to allow those to claim the cash was never added to the app, sources have told Sky News. (Sky)
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... p-12111795
oh for chrissake
I'd prefer current events safely within historic chronicles of a degenerate past we no longer endure
Second choice as film or a novel plot though I'd not likely find either very interesting
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Contact tracing apps could be one way of reducing COVID - but only if it works"
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... p-12111795" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
well yeah
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Before I forget, Nicky Morgan's 'scum' comment wasn't the most stupid thing she said.

Asked if she thought it would have been better if we weren't leaving the EU in the middle of a pandemic, she said it would have been better if we'd left properly on 31 Jan so that Brexit would have been over.

Over. Ha bloody ha.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Even Kensington and Chelsea have joined in with the school meals.

I don't think it'll make too much of a dent in their reserves.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:Before I forget, Nicky Morgan's 'scum' comment wasn't the most stupid thing she said.

Asked if she thought it would have been better if we weren't leaving the EU in the middle of a pandemic, she said it would have been better if we'd left properly on 31 Jan so that Brexit would have been over.

Over. Ha bloody ha.
Imagine if we had been trying to deal with the fallout from crashing out of the EU when the pandemic first hit.
We had an opportunity to avoid having to deal with both at the same time last July. We must never let the Tories forget that.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Meanwhile I see that Ben Bradley is performing at the level that most people expect him to...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Increases in deaths involving appendicitis could suggest delayed access to care is a factor, but deaths involving this cause have been occurring at levels above the five-year average since before the first death registration involving COVID-19.
ONS - Analysis of death registrations not involving coronavirus (COVID-19), England and Wales: 28 December 2019 to 10 July 2020
From September
due to Tories running the NHS into the ground
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Meanwhile I see that Ben Bradley is performing at the level that most people expect him to...

Oh dear, it gets worse...one of the governors at the school has weighed in.

adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I think I've had one message, once, related to the contact tracing app because something popped up on my phone saying 'NHS Test and Trace Good News You Have Not' and when I touched it it dissappeared. There is no notifications or messages section within the app and the message didn't go anywhere else I can find on my phone. So I think I'm okay but there's no way of knowing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Individuals sharing what they've got is great and I wholeheartedly thank them. I don't like charity. It's inefficient, it's regressive, and it's not universal. Charities and individuals don't have statutory obligations providing people with the means to survive. That's government's job. Democratically accountable representative government is wonderful. I look forward to it soon.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:I think I've had one message, once, related to the contact tracing app because something popped up on my phone saying 'NHS Test and Trace Good News You Have Not' and when I touched it it dissappeared. There is no notifications or messages section within the app and the message didn't go anywhere else I can find on my phone. So I think I'm okay but there's no way of knowing.
:shock:
I can't believe all the news I'm reading isn't a film I'm watching or a dream I'm having.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

When the Conservatives won a landslide majority in December last year, Justina Smyth, 35, was “more than happy”. Standing in the drizzle outside the Polish shop Baltic on Heywood high street in Greater Manchester on Friday, she recalled how she “had been surprised what help they seemed to be offering single parents” after the party promised to encourage flexible working. But 10 months on, Smyth, originally from Poland, said she “definitely would not vote for them again” and had decided to vote Labour in the next election.
my emphasis

That doesn't really help anyone, does it?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:
adam wrote:I think I've had one message, once, related to the contact tracing app because something popped up on my phone saying 'NHS Test and Trace Good News You Have Not' and when I touched it it dissappeared. There is no notifications or messages section within the app and the message didn't go anywhere else I can find on my phone. So I think I'm okay but there's no way of knowing.
:shock:
I can't believe all the news I'm reading isn't a film I'm watching or a dream I'm having.
It's also supposed to have a link on it to allow you to automatically claim financial support quickly if you have to isolate after being contacted. But they didn't bother to put it on.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]31epnYBOMWA[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]LAhkeJz1ZhY[/youtube]

(A friend who is a huge huge REM fan says this is the definitive version of this song)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Quick change of pace

[youtube]VfzqH_hY_5s[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

It has to be said that the boy's played a blinder...good on him.
Marcus Rashford MBE
@MarcusRashford
I’m signing off with a feeling a pride tonight. The superstars of this nation lie in local communities. Even after taking the biggest hits you have wrapped your arms around your community to catch children as they fell. I really can’t thank you enough, you’re amazing Heart suit
8:23 PM · Oct 23, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]NSNuqX3EY70[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]wVAqnz3NEhc[/youtube]